Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2020, 18:16   #1
BHPian

Converted my Honda Activa to an EV

Hi guys looking at the overwhelming response received from fellow team bhp members and auto enthusiasts around the country for my Electric Chevy Beat thread, ( https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/elect...c-vehicle.html (Converted my Chevrolet Beat to an Electric Vehicle!) )I decided to put up another small home made video of my other previous conversions. This one was also completely engineered in detail and fabricated. Contrary to the thought that electric = no transmission and Single speed only, we like to think out of the box. We have re engineered the CVT of the Activa with a lot of new components made in-house to maintain the motor’s performance at its max. This has enabled us to use a fairly smaller motor for the same performance of a stock Honda activa.

My range is limited to 42 kms on single seat and 35 kms on double seat but I’m happy with the same as I use this vehicle to go around the corner and buy small stuff or else send my boys to fetch some parts and all.

Cheers guys. Enjoy.

Let me know if you’ll have any questions. I’ll be happy to answer them.

Also check out my beat EV here. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/elect...c-vehicle.html (Converted my Chevrolet Beat to an Electric Vehicle!)

Last edited by Aditya : 31st May 2020 at 07:13. Reason: Non forum-smiley deleted
stuntfreak is offline   (54) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 19:09   #2
BHPian

re: Converted my Honda Activa to an EV

Hey great job and congratulations on Beat and Activa conversions to EV. What was the cost for Activa conversion including labour etc?

I myself was also interested in EV conversion, I went to Karol Bagh at New Delhi to enquire about prices for EV conversion kits, I got a quotation of 50k for 4KW motor. Never went ahead with the conversion due to many reasons, but felt really happy that someone else has done it.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 19:18   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
Hey great job and congratulations on Beat and Activa conversions to EV. What was the cost for Activa conversion including labour etc?

I myself was also interested in EV conversion, I went to Karol Bagh at New Delhi to enquire about prices for EV conversion kits, I got a quotation of 50k for 4KW motor. Never went ahead with the conversion due to many reasons, but felt really happy that someone else has done it.
I do all the work myself with my friend so I don’t count on labour. It’s for fun mainly.

Material and parts costed me approx 10,000
Special stuff to be made approx 2,000
Plus battery.

And 18 days of work.

Last edited by Aditya : 31st May 2020 at 07:15. Reason: Non-forum smiley deleted
stuntfreak is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 20:44   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

It is just me or does this converted Activa sounds noisy? Motor whine seems to be really loud.

Nonetheless, it is remarkable that just a 1kw motor is able to power this.
Old 24th May 2020, 20:55   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
It is just me or does this converted Activa sounds noisy? Motor whine seems to be really loud.

Nonetheless, it is remarkable that just a 1kw motor is able to power this.
If you’re talking about the shot where we are spinning the wheel in the workshop, it’s because of the vibration caused by the stand, the resonance effect in the workshop, and the cellphone picking up all the sounds more than the human ear.

It’s way too soft compared to the ICE version.
stuntfreak is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 22:07   #6
BHPian

Oh man, you are like a wizard in EV-fying! If there's wheels, you will electrify that! I had more questions on your other thread (beat-EV) as well. But was waiting till you add further details...many of the questions might get addressed in that.

1) How are sourcing the batteries and battery modules to connect them (I guess mostly in series)?

2) How is the battery management system done - control of deep discharge; overcharge; overheating; etc?

3) How is weight distribution when going from ICE to EV?

4) Did you have to add additional sensors - for motors (acoustic, vibrations, EMF related); for temperatures at various points (battery thermal runaways)? And integration of the sensors to the vehicle control unit?

5) You might have had to add additional fuses/relays etc?

Totally wish I could visit your garage to learn more! Had questions on nature of the motor / motor selection; gear reduction etc...coming up later.
Miyata is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 22:26   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
Oh man, you are like a wizard in EV-fying! If there's wheels, you will electrify that! I had more questions on your other thread (beat-EV) as well. But was waiting till you add further details...many of the questions might get addressed in that.

1) How are sourcing the batteries and battery modules to connect them (I guess mostly in series)?

2) How is the battery management system done - control of deep discharge; overcharge; overheating; etc?

4) Did you have to add additional sensors - for motors (acoustic, vibrations, EMF related); for temperatures at various points (battery thermal runaways)? And integration of the sensors to the vehicle control unit?

Totally wish I could visit your garage to learn more! Had questions on nature of the motor / motor selection; gear reduction etc...coming up later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post

Nice set of questions. I dint quite get the first half of your first question. May be a small grammatical error there. Anyways the batteries are connected in parallel and series combination to form the required pack. Pack size calculations I’ll explain in the EV convert youtube series That we will launch next month. In case of the Activa, I’m using a Chinese BMS. No brains there. Just buy and use. In the beat it’s a whole different story.

From what we have learnt over years, if you retain the same performance by using an appropriate motor, and use batteries and other systems to match the weight and weight distribution of the car like OE, then you will achieve 1/3rd to 1:2 range of the ICE. These are rough calculations. If you match the range as of a full tank of fuel, you will roughly be 25% to 35% heavier.

Yes there’s a whole bunch of safety systems we need to take in considerations while building a conversion kit. You’ll learn in the YouTube series.

You’re most welcome. But we’re not like the Teslas. So keep your hopes moderate. Lol.
stuntfreak is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 23:11   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Please enlighten us on your battery control module. Are you using them? How advanced are they? Commercial EVs don’t use their entire battery capacity, BCM limits them to, say, 80%. Same thing here? What about thermal management? You you code them BCM yourself or do they come off the shelf with the batteries? How different is a car BCM from a scooter BCM?
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2020, 00:48   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Please enlighten us on your battery control module. Are you using them? How advanced are they? Commercial EVs don’t use their entire battery capacity, BCM limits them to, say, 80%. Same thing here? What about thermal management? You you code them BCM yourself or do they come off the shelf with the batteries? How different is a car BCM from a scooter BCM?
Any multi cell battery pack must have a BMS. Else the batteries won’t get used correctly and will also get damaged early. No lithium based chemistry battery management system allows full drain of battery. Even your phone. This is to enable the battery to charge safely again and maintain its life for the entire designed no of cycles of operations. This is considered while calculating pack size. Will be covered in my series of the EV conversion.

For the Activa I have a Chinese off the shelf BMS. For the Beat it’s a different story altogether. The car and activa BMS is completely different. We have thermal management, cell balancing, fast charging capability, safety cutoffs, limp home mode, and even system lock down features in the Beat BMS.
stuntfreak is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th May 2020, 08:36   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Converted my Honda Activa to an EV

Mod Note: Thanks for sharing! Thread moved to the 2-wheels forum.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 14:38   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntfreak View Post
Hi guys looking at the overwhelming response received from fellow team bhp members and auto enthusiasts around the country for my Electric Chevy Beat thread, ( https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/elect...c-vehicle.html (Converted my Chevrolet Beat to an Electric Vehicle!) )I decided to put up another small home made video of my other previous conversions. This one was also completely engineered in detail and fabricated. Contrary to the thought that electric = no transmission and Single speed only, we like to think out of the box. We have re engineered the CVT of the Activa with a lot of new components made in-house to maintain the motor’s performance at its max. This has enabled us to use a fairly smaller motor for the same performance of a stock Honda activa.

My range is limited to 42 kms on single seat and 35 kms on double seat but I’m happy with the same as I use this vehicle to go around the corner and buy small stuff or else send my boys to fetch some parts and all ��
Hello there!

Great job Looks like a very netly executed piece of work (from the short bit of the video showing the underside of the Activa). Do keep this forum updated with your ongoing work in this space.

Quick question - where have you placed the battery/batteries?

Cheers,
Praveen

Last edited by 51morris : 27th May 2020 at 14:40. Reason: Fixed a typo.
51morris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2020, 09:56   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntfreak View Post

My range is limited to 42 kms on single seat and 35 kms on double seat but I’m happy with the same as I use this vehicle to go around the corner and buy small stuff or else send my boys to fetch some parts and all 😉

Cheers guys. Enjoy.

Let me know if you’ll have any questions. I’ll be happy to answer them.
looks like we are having our own in-house Tesla.
Appreciate if you could share some basic design's as it would give us EV Noobs some reason to try our hand on our old bikes
Old 30th May 2020, 12:26   #13
BHPian

Interesting post. Can I request you to share the full BOM (all parts/components & accessories used) to build this solution?

In fact I was thinking of doing something similar to my old cycle and did see some kits online for the same, but did not go ahead with it (cost being one of the reasons). How about a cycle build next? :P
Old 31st May 2020, 16:02   #14
BHPian

Great work done here. Appreciate your enthusiasm.
Isn't the CVT prone to loss due to the slip between pulley and belt?
Also, the centrifugal clutch needs some rev up to start transferring the torque to the driven pulley. Thats shear loss of energy. How do you manage these losses?
Old 1st June 2020, 13:04   #15
A2B

Hi StuntFreak,

Can you say, whether the same setup of Activa will work in an old Kinetic Honda?

Will it fit in the engine bay?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks