Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2020, 20:04   #31
BHPian

Re: Painting and Chrome for RX100

Quote:
Originally Posted by tavakari View Post
Hello All,

I have a black RX100 in a decent shape. I would like to know, how much it would cost to get the bike painted ( Black ). Also, how about chroming? I live in Mysore, Karnataka.

Thank you in advance.
I can't speak for the mechanics in KA, but here in Pune I was quoted 40k for a full paint and chrome job. This includes a full strip down, cleaning and painting of each part, new rubber parts, new nuts & bolts. new spokes etc etc.
If you only want to get the body panels painted, then it should be much cheaper.

I used the time during the lockdown to do some DIY painting.
I've captured the details here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...n-project.html (Partial restoration of my 1996 Yamaha RXG 135 - A lockdown project!)
Old 28th December 2021, 15:52   #32
BHPian

Re: Partial restoration of my 1996 Yamaha RXG 135 - A lockdown project!

Hey guys,

The RXG got some christmas presents during the last service.
Other than the usual service the following items were changed.

1. Carburettor float assembly - The old one had developed a bit of a play which would lead to some fuel leaking out when the bike was parked (almost like it would mark its territory). Found the part to be quite pricey - I was charged 750 for the float and float pin

2. Gabriel shock absorber set - Big improvement in the seating comfort. Outgoing shocks had become quite hard. These were around 2.2k for the set. Money well spent.

3. Rear tyre - Went in for the off road one from JK tyre. The last tyre was a size up from stock, decided to continue with the same. Found this to be quite cheap too, just 1.7k.

Here's a pic of the rear suspension and the new tyre.
Partial restoration of my 1996 Yamaha RXG 135 - A lockdown project!-img0374.jpg
jomson13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2024, 16:17   #33
BHPian

The Restoration continues!!

The bike was overdue for service and had developed a few issues over the past year and a half.
This time I also planned on getting the electricals sorted out with the aim of getting the bike worthy of passing the RTO fitness test.

Dropped off the bike at my trusted FNG with a short list of complaints / things to be done.
Met bhpian libranof1987 at the FNG who had come to drop off his activa for service.

To do list:
  1. General service
  2. Front fork check (bike was pulling to the left)
  3. Complete electrical work (conversion from 6V - 12V)
  4. Oil leakage from 2T pump case

The bike has been with me for 15 years now (It's a '96 model that was passed on to me in 2009).
The ownership experience has been very satisfying - it does demand its fair share of work and attention but the aural and mechanical pleasure of riding it makes up for the time and money spent.
So this time I went a bit overboard and got a few additional things done

Additional stuff done:
  1. LED headlight
  2. New indicator set
  3. New seat
  4. New chain and sproket set (this was a finding during the service)
  5. Allen bolts for engine and clutch casings
  6. Rubber kit (for fixing vibrations)

Bike was handed over on Thursday, 16th May. Work started on Friday and the bike was handed over on Sunday, 19th May.
I'm very pleased with the way it's turned out, rode the bike to office to test it out and thoroughly enjoyed the new found 'tightness' in the bike.

Here are some pictures taken during service:

Wiring work in progress

Partial restoration of my 1996 Yamaha RXG 135 - A lockdown project!-img_6725.jpeg

Wiring loom

Partial restoration of my 1996 Yamaha RXG 135 - A lockdown project!-img_6724.jpeg

LH side switch. Stuck to the original design although there are other options available in the market.

Partial restoration of my 1996 Yamaha RXG 135 - A lockdown project!-img_6723.jpeg

LED headlight, the DRL has two modes - normal is white, it turns orange when the front / rear brake is pressed

Partial restoration of my 1996 Yamaha RXG 135 - A lockdown project!-img_6722.jpeg

The headlight dome was also changed since the old was was cracked and faded

Partial restoration of my 1996 Yamaha RXG 135 - A lockdown project!-img_6721.jpeg

This is Anwar bhai, he's the main mechanic and has been working on my bikes since 2009.

Partial restoration of my 1996 Yamaha RXG 135 - A lockdown project!-img_6720.jpeg

OG showing off his new tech to the newbie!

Partial restoration of my 1996 Yamaha RXG 135 - A lockdown project!-img_6710.jpeg

Looks pretty neat, doesn't it?

Partial restoration of my 1996 Yamaha RXG 135 - A lockdown project!-img_6708.jpeg

Some jugaad to prevent the kick from going too far ahead.
It is an eyesore but does the job well.

Partial restoration of my 1996 Yamaha RXG 135 - A lockdown project!-img_6707.jpeg

Intake manifold had developed cracks, got a new one. 2T oil pipe was also replaced.
The overflow pipes are missing, will get those added

Partial restoration of my 1996 Yamaha RXG 135 - A lockdown project!-img_6705.jpeg

Allen bolts on the clutch cover. Same were also added to the other side

Partial restoration of my 1996 Yamaha RXG 135 - A lockdown project!-img_6704.jpeg

New seat, old one was flat and had become spongy over time.
This one is slightly curved and has quite a firm material.

Partial restoration of my 1996 Yamaha RXG 135 - A lockdown project!-img_6703.jpeg

Side view

Partial restoration of my 1996 Yamaha RXG 135 - A lockdown project!-img_6702.jpeg

The rear sproket was in an extremely bad condition. Notice the broken teeth!
Since the bike has a chain cover, I have never 'inspected' the chain / sprokets. This is the result.

Partial restoration of my 1996 Yamaha RXG 135 - A lockdown project!-img_6699.jpeg

Oil pump had a leak from the plunger end. This was fixed by changing some o-ring.
Hopefully this holds up for a long time.

Partial restoration of my 1996 Yamaha RXG 135 - A lockdown project!-img_6678.jpeg

The frame paint (which was painted by me during the lockdown) seems to be holding up decently well

Partial restoration of my 1996 Yamaha RXG 135 - A lockdown project!-img_6676.jpeg

Partial restoration of my 1996 Yamaha RXG 135 - A lockdown project!-img_6677.jpeg

All this cost me 18k which I feel is a bit steep.
The icing on the cake is that my wife agreed to sponsor this as an early birthday present.
Is there anyone luckier than me?

The bike is now ready for the RTO fitness test and re-registration. This is going to be another major expense considering that the RC expired in 2011.

The restoration is almost complete. Only the wheels, instrument console and engine casing remains.
That will be taken up next time.

Thanks for reading.

At the office parking.

Partial restoration of my 1996 Yamaha RXG 135 - A lockdown project!-img_6714.jpeg

I like this angle the most.

Partial restoration of my 1996 Yamaha RXG 135 - A lockdown project!-img_6701.jpeg

Last edited by Aditya : 20th May 2024 at 18:47. Reason: Back to back posts merged
jomson13 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th July 2024, 16:01   #34

Re: Partial restoration of my 1996 Yamaha RXG 135 - A lockdown project!

Glad to see a new story and experiences working on an RX. Mine (RX135) was in storage outdoors for 5 years including the Covid period. Began revamping early this year. Found the engine seized with oxidation deposits on the cylinder wall. Piston is resting near BDC. For the past month, soaking it in diesel, 2T oil, some castor oil , carb cleaner solvent and plenty of WD-40. It's not moving one bit. Only able to scrub off the deposits above the piston. The piston appears fused with the wall. When pulling the block up , the piston moves with the block.... Stuck with this... Any better ideas on loosening / breaking this rust would help... Objective is to save the piston and the block. Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks