Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2020, 18:52   #1
Senior - BHPian

Covid infections & deaths at Bajaj Auto's Waluj factory

Bajaj Auto has issued an official statement denying the Waluj factory shutdown rumours.

Covid infections & deaths at Bajaj Auto's Waluj factory-mediaplantimage5big.jpg

There were rumours circulating in the media that Bajaj had shut down its Waluj factory after the Covid-19 infection was found among some of its employees. Bajaj has denied these rumours and said that the Waluj facility is functioning normally.

According to the company, operations at the Waluj unit were being ramped-up from April 24, 2020 on wards. Safety protocols in compliance with the government guidelines are being enforced at the plant. These include regular health checks of employees.

Bajaj claims that there have been no incidences of Covid-19 infections at the Waluj factory from April 24 and June 6, 2020. The first Covid-19 case at Bajaj was reported on June 6, 2020.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 20:46   #2
BHPian

re: Covid infections & deaths at Bajaj Auto's Waluj factory

Rajiv Bajaj is walking his talk on the Sweden model of attaining herd immunity. His biggest plant at Waluj - Aurangabad is having two shifts daily. Their first case was on 6th of June & till today around 200 positive cases & 4 deaths have been reported out of 8100 employees / contractors.

No details if "camphor" a prophylaxis as mentioned by Rajiv Bajaj or GOM advice to use Arsenicum album 30 being used at Bajaj plant.

Link :

https://www.livemint.com/companies/n...179222675.html

Last edited by ritz3645 : 26th June 2020 at 20:54. Reason: Typo
ritz3645 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 13:39   #3
BHPian

Rajiv Bajaj can very well afford to 'walk the talk' on herd immunity when it's his employees who are actually doing all the walking.
I hope someone here can answer this, though: given the high levels of inventory stuck with dealers since March, why are auto factories being opened, and with two shifts even? Wouldn't it make more sense to wait until the fag end of the lockdown, or do an intermittent manufacturing schedule that does just enough to maintain supply levels that are just enough to match the deliveries from the showrooms?
https://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...ovid-19-127455
ChevyTeddy is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 15:05   #4
BHPian

I feel Mr. Rajiv Bajaj is a good businessman and I think he should just stick to what he is good at or qualified enough to do. Talking in the air about homeopathy medicines or herd immunity etc should be avoided by him. Doctors and health experts are there for a reason.

Last edited by Aditya : 27th June 2020 at 20:41. Reason: Typo
Storm2.0 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 15:21   #5
Team-BHP Support

This article says 2 employees are dead. And that the factory might be shut down for two days for sanitization.

Covid-19: Bajaj Auto's Aurangabad plant may shut after death of 2 employees
https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto...224548485.html
SmartCat is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 18:20   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

The virus infection news was also reported by Economic Times today:-

https://auto.economictimes.indiatime...-auto/76650066

Says that the plant has 8,100 employees and contractors, of whom 140 are infected. The first infection was reported on 6th June 2020. The two who died were co-morbid and had their medical histories. The report though says that the plant is functioning normally, but also says that on the 27th and 28th of June, it will be closed for sanitising.

Coming to the recent statement by Mr Rajiv Bajaj, about flattening the economic growth curve and not the coronavirus curve due to the lockdown and the re-opening of the manufacturing facility on 24th April, common sense needs to prevail not to take jibes at the industrialist's candid comments. Neither he nor anyone else could have forecast that the coronavirus will, within one and a half month's infect about 2 % of his employees. Sure, they all must have taken due precautions. The inevitable happens. The infections are rising and rising. At the same time, the total lockdown could not have been indefinitely prolonged. It was partially lifted to allow a staggered functioning.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 27th June 2020 at 18:22.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 20:11   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The plant has 8,100 employees and contractors, of whom 140 are infected. The first infection was reported on 6th June 2020. The two who died were co-morbid and had their medical histories... Neither he nor anyone else could have forecast that the coronavirus will, within one and a half month's infect about 2 % of his employees.
This is the challenge with lifting lockdowns. In most parts of the world, the workers would be able to sue Bajaj for causing wrongful death here. In India, that is not possible. We are caught between the Devil and the Deep Sea. If we close businesses, people don’t get paid. But when workers go into work, they are risking their lives for measly wage.

By the way, this stuff on co-morbidities is utter rubbish. High Blood Pressure, High Cholesterol, Diabetes, Being Overweight (not Obese) are all co-morbidities. Can’t blame Bajaj fully - but by going on and on about how the government was wrong by locking down, he is asking to be blamed for these and any more deaths that take place.
Hayek is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 28th June 2020, 06:42   #8
BHPian

In the past six months, no country has actually benefited from attempts to build 'herd immunity.' Sweden, which famously allowed people to mingle even as Italy and Spain were struggling to contain the spread, is now a pariah for other neighbours who are considering opening their borders to each other BUT Sweden.

Again, the question remains - as the profitable market leader, Bajaj was presumably sitting on a deep cash chest. He could have used this to take care of his employees and prevent risking them to exposure. 140 people infected is not a small number at all - it points to serious breakdown in a controlled environment where safeguards should have been present. Why risk all this - for even if he isn't a medical expert, Bajaj is certainly aware of how the virus can spread - for building up inventory during a slow-paced period?

As for his comment on the economy... political proclivities notwithstanding, will he now accept that the lockdown at least delayed the spread until most states are better equipped to deal with it? The numbers are high even now, but they could have run away from us without the draconian measures (not fully thought out, especially about keeping migrants safe and secure) that he finds it so easy to criticise? I mean, you couldn't even keep your own employees safe, and I suspect it is the government and the taxpayer who'll foot the bill for their treatments, and not the corporate house?

Last edited by moralfibre : 28th June 2020 at 07:12.
ChevyTeddy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th June 2020, 07:21   #9
Team-BHP Support

The protectionist lobby's Blue eyed heir would want his wit and outspokenness be seen more often for his ever growing fame for opposing govt measures. Fact remains that a diehard homeopathy believer and Bombay club's deep hangover doesn't get his basics right. He wouldn't shy away from citing EU references from his KTM better half in Austria for managing the economy or handling COVID from any Indian context.

Shouldn't a leader lead from the front? How about Rajiv help build herd immunity by working on the assembly line in Waluj and put his money where his mouth is? Will he? Or would he simply sit across cameras of a byte hungry media to dole out best practices and world saving measures in the confines of his AC cabin or in the back seat of his Jaguar?
moralfibre is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 28th June 2020, 08:43   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
This is the challenge with lifting lockdowns. In most parts of the world, the workers would be able to sue Bajaj for causing wrongful death here.
No, I don’t think it’s a valid reason to sue your employer unless they have not taken a proper care on sanitizing. Like with every corporates, they will be covered under health and life insurance.

Quote:
If we close businesses, people don’t get paid. But when workers go into work, they are risking their lives for measly wage.
Isn’t it true for everyone and everywhere? Maybe the guys who are working from home are an exception but they also need services of someone to bring them electricity, internet and all that stuff. So it’s not just the money. What will you or anyone else do without these people working in the field? Yes, there’s a risk but from whatever we have seen, it’s marginal.

Will be interesting to find, how many people die every month in all factories or Bajaj Pre-Covid!

What makes Bajaj standout from others is his arguments against the government or perhaps majority of people who are now so afraid. Or perhaps, his views about some medicines, which at best can be seen as an immunity booster at the best.

Let’s treat this incident as any other elsewhere and should not pass blame to Bajaj. Rather, I respect such people who want to keep things moving irrespective of the challenges.

Last edited by Turbanator : 28th June 2020 at 08:44.
Turbanator is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 28th June 2020, 09:44   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
No, I .

Sitting in Maharashtra I envy the Corona numbers of Chandigarh till date.
Confirmed 427
Recovered 335
Deaths 6

Since this topic is regarding Aurangabad in Maharashtra. Let me share the latest numbers. Aurangabad
Positive: 4,354
Deaths 226
Discharged: 2,126
Active: 2,002

Chandigarh :
http://chdcovid19.in/

Aurangabad - Maharashtra
https://phdmah.maps.arcgis.com/apps/...890745e9ea415c
ritz3645 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2020, 09:53   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No, I don’t think it’s a valid reason to sue your employer unless they have not taken a proper care on sanitizing.
When 140 people in a plant get infected within 20 days, it does seem like there were process gaps. And by being so vocal against the government, he has created an incentive for folks to look to find process gaps.

Quote:
they also need services of someone to bring them electricity, internet and all that stuff. So it’s not just the money. What will you or anyone else do without these people working in the field?
Get that fully. We have about 7% of our employees working - to ensure that our systems and payment services continue uninterrupted. My dad worked in a Power Plant - he used to always say, “We have to work through the night and day on Diwali so others can enjoy the Festival of Lights”. The challenge is when you move beyond that to Manufacturing Two Wheelers or Opening Malls or Movie Halls.

Quote:
Rather, I respect such people who want to keep things moving irrespective of the challenges.
Agree again.
Hayek is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 28th June 2020, 10:16   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Will be interesting to find, how many people die every month in all factories or Bajaj Pre-Covid!
Would this be considered as an industrial accident by law?

Death count climbed up to 3 now. Employees Union is asking the management to shutdown the factory.

One more employed at Bajaj Auto's plant succumbs to Covid-19, toll at 3
https://www.business-standard.com/ar...2701361_1.html
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2020, 10:27   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Would this be considered as an industrial accident by law?
I don’t think so unless local administrators decide to take Mr. Bajaj to a task but given the present day government in state and the taxes they are earning, I doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
When 140 people in a plant get infected within 20 days, it does seem like there were process gaps.
The way this spreads, it’s not a coincidence. There will be examples at multiple other places as well, not in limelight though.

I don’t know if these guys who tested were symptomatic or they just got tested just because there colleagues were found positive. I think it’s the later. At most places, local governments have stopped contract tracing and the organizations are themselves taking the initiatives, which appears to be the case here.

Again, I can safely say, a large number of people can come out positive if we start testing everyone in contact at any place, an office or a factory or a household.

Last edited by Turbanator : 28th June 2020 at 10:42.
Turbanator is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th June 2020, 11:48   #15
BHPian

Quote:
There will be examples at multiple other places as well, not in limelight though.
True. Quite a few of the pharma companies in Bangalore that were running at 30% employee attendance have had some covid positive cases reported. At least one of them has stepped back towards a lockdown like situation again.

None of it is in news, but those working in the pharma sector will be aware - my wife works in this sector.

However, I am not aware if there's been any covid-deaths reported yet (from these companies) - This news would most likely be the last/late to leak out.
Miyata is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks