Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2007, 23:07   #1
Senior - BHPian

Is a second hand Honda Unicorn worth buying for a year's use?

hi guys i am new here...

need some help buying a second hand honda unicorn
i need this bike for a year or so after that i will be going in for a brand new one as i need to perfect myriding skills yet say what?

i previously had my brother's passion+ to learn the riding...
Old 21st March 2007, 12:01   #2
Team-BHP Support

If u are thinking of buying a bike just for the learning part, dont bother buying a second hand one, and then going in for a new one. I learnt to ride on my Pulsar and it takes a max of 2 weeks, by when u would have no issues. Dont waste your money on an old bike, and then go for a new one.
Old 22nd March 2007, 01:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

thanx benbsb i will keep that in mind and i think i will wait for the new unicorn...
Old 9th January 2009, 10:55   #4

Hi Guys -
I have an offer for a 2005 Honda Unicorn - 7500 K on the ODO. Excellent condition. The Bike owner really knows how to take care of his things
He is asking for 32K - Negotiable.
I need the bike for daily commute - around 15 Kms and will be handing over the bike to my cousin by end of this week.

What do you think? Is it worth investing $$$ in this ?

Thanks,
B

p.s: I had a local mechanic check the bike. He gives it a thumbs-up. I repeat - The bike is really maintained well.
Old 9th January 2009, 21:07   #5
BHPian

i think if the bike is in such a mint condition you should go for it.but since the price is negotiable try to get it below 30k atleast. my friend got a 3 year old uni last year for 30k. it was without self. but the bike was great. i thought the price was still somewhat on the higher side.good luck mate!
Old 9th January 2009, 21:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

bobdon,
If you know that the bike is well maintained, go for it. The Unicorn is a no-issues bike. Really well refined. I'd say go for it.

You'll keep this bike for just a week ?
Old 10th January 2009, 15:25   #7
Senior - BHPian

Go for it. A well maintained Unicorn is indeed a hassle free bike, almost a "fill it-shut it-forget it" proposition. The bike, having covered just about 7500K's will last for quite a long time and down the line will also hold it's value well. Since you say you are going to use the bike for just a year, you'd prefer a machine that will be a usable, comfortable multi-tasker, a role that the Unicorn fits to a T. So, it certainly is a nice buy, even if it is for just a year.
Old 12th January 2009, 17:35   #8

Well guys - someone took it for 35K Will start looking again...I guess !
Old 12th January 2009, 20:45   #9
BHPian

IF you want to learn why do you do you want a Honda only better go for a Model which didnt do well in terms of sales,Like TVS Victor GLX 125,TVS Centra,Some Bajaj Models,then you can use it as you want sell it off or you can keep as a backup also.
Because bike like TVS Victor 125 i am using this bike since more than 3 years and doing very good but am not getting more than 15000. for her.
Old 12th January 2009, 22:27   #10
BHPian

35k (considering 7.5k and mint condition) hmm if it was with spoke wheel its okay, but if it had alloy wheels then itd be a steal. But uni's are bit hard to find in the second hand market in good condition and at low prices.

My room-mates uni ( I live in tumkur 60kms from bangalore) , 40k kms done just sold for 17.5k, it was sort of abused, but if you put around 8k (6k on clutch, chain set and wheels and 2k on tyres) more itd be back in mint condition. and it had electric start.

If you need a uni ill look around. but yeah most would be in **** condition but would come cheap. You would just need to transfer the vehicle in your name, no need to re-register or pay anything extra

Btw it hardly takes any time to learn, 2 weeks is enough to get control of the bike in normal conditions (obv experience adds to control of bike) but in Bangalore you'd find the uni a breeze since its a really good commuter and is fuel efficient, also honda parts last LONG, really long. ting tong.
Old 20th January 2009, 16:04   #11

Thanks to pulsarmaniac, Fountainheader(My bad - I meant a year ), JayPrashanth, Xeno for your replies. I'd like to continue with this discussion some more. I have come across another Unicorn which is as well maintained as the earlier one that I mentioned - but NOT better(That's my opinion).2005 Model, 12K miles done - but the owner is quoting 40K. I had a mechanic go with me and he said 25K MAX(based on an initial drive and his judgment). What do you guys think? What seems like a fair price to you ? I should also mention my driving needs - I need it for a max of 15-20 kms on weekdays and the occasional drive on weekends !
Old 20th January 2009, 17:23   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdon View Post
Thanks to pulsarmaniac, Fountainheader(My bad - I meant a year ), JayPrashanth, Xeno for your replies. I'd like to continue with this discussion some more. I have come across another Unicorn which is as well maintained as the earlier one that I mentioned - but NOT better(That's my opinion).2005 Model, 12K miles done - but the owner is quoting 40K. I had a mechanic go with me and he said 25K MAX(based on an initial drive and his judgment). What do you guys think? What seems like a fair price to you ? I should also mention my driving needs - I need it for a max of 15-20 kms on weekdays and the occasional drive on weekends !
Try to negotiate the deal if you are really interested in the bike. It would be good even if you can settle the deal for 30K IMO. The maintenance costs are pretty low and I can vouch for that. Given your commute requirements, I am sure this bike will fit your bill.

OT: I have a 2005 Unicorn thats done just 5K, by the way. Its not for sale though
Old 21st January 2009, 11:43   #13
BHPian

Why so few kms done on all those Unis? 3 yrs and 5-10k kms is very less.
40k is a little too high though!
Old 21st January 2009, 14:22   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Try to negotiate the deal if you are really interested in the bike. It would be good even if you can settle the deal for 30K IMO. The maintenance costs are pretty low and I can vouch for that. Given your commute requirements, I am sure this bike will fit your bill.

OT: I have a 2005 Unicorn thats done just 5K, by the way. Its not for sale though
Thanks, rr_zen. Let me see how much he settles for ! Just 5K on your 2005 Uni...I'd be interested if your mind changes about selling it

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_m5_titus View Post
Why so few kms done on all those Unis? 3 yrs and 5-10k kms is very less.
40k is a little too high though!
I guess these guys do not get the chance/opportunity to put in kms - or maybe they love their bike too much to see it being subjected to our super Indian roads
I'm targeting 30K - let's see !
Old 22nd January 2009, 13:53   #15
BHPian

@bobdon

hey buddy,

You are doing the right thing by buying a Unicorn, coz be it a learner or an expert everyone enjoys riding the unicorn.I am sure you will have a nice experience.

While buying a 2 wheeler always consider condition over mileage.

Especially with a Honda there is nothing to worry if they are in caring hands.

I had bought a mint 2006 Unicorn in the year 2007 which had then done around 6-7K kms for 45 grands, after using (long trips/ rides & city abusing) it for 2 years & adding 28 k kms on the odo i sold it for 33 grands. used to keep my bike clean, changed the oil whenever required, and replaced the clutch plates at 30k kms. apart of this i had spent nothing on it.

I was very happy with the Unicorn.

Wish you luck.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks