Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2023, 21:51   #91
BHPian

Re: Honda CBR250R Review : Still relevant in 2020!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saitvsk23 View Post
The CBR is a value for money motorcycle and you can use it fully to the last penny and last gear, if you decide to use your money well.

All you need to get is good tyres, good engine oil, coolant and timely servicing done to enjoy it fully. Get a nice helmet to protect your head and a nice pair of gloves and jacket. That is since you're doing quite a bit of distance in a single day. So safety matters. Moreover, its got ABS too.

As long as you have just 10-100 grams of patience and willingness to order parts in case something needs to be replaced, you'll have the best bike India probably ever experience. Its just the right mix of sport and comfort. Literally a swiss army knife. I can help you with the parts too incase (god forbid) you need to get something ordered. Spares are just a teeny tiny little bit expensive, but they do serve the purpose. And there are always aftermarket alternatives available.

Pro tip : In case you decide to get the bike :

Get Motul 10W40 oil installed for the first 1000kms and then replace it with the LiquiMoly Street Race 10W40. Your CBR almost feels like a tuned 600cc. I'm not kidding.
Thanks for the Quick Reply

My Main priorities are
- Decent mileage (35+ will be great)
- Decent comfort for daily commute
- Must be reliable
- Must be able to cruise at 80-100Kmph

My usage will be mainly office commute and occasional bike rides with colleagues. I also plan on holding on to it for as long as possible so will the spares be too expensive? Also are there any major red flags to look out for?
Any other bike suggestions will also be helpful (Budget 80k-100k)
Old 3rd June 2023, 11:23   #92
BHPian

As per your priorities :

- Mileage in the city : 31-35 kmpl easily. Try staying at 5-7k RPM and you might be able to squeeze out just a bit more. Highway is above 35kmpl easily.

- Comfort : I had ridden my friend's R15 V4 recently. When I compared the seating position of the V4 to mine, my CBR felt like a recliner sofa. Again, I'm not kidding. I'm a heavy build guy at 6 feet tall and above 100kgs in weight. Still i feel comfortable. Traffic can get to you a bit in the shoulder area, but since you're saying that you have a highway commute (>30kms one way), it should be more than comfortable to you. It's the right mix of sportiness and comfort.

- Reliability : It's a Honda. Do I need to tell you anything else? It will only stop running if the fuel is finished. Or else it will outlast you too😂

- Cruising Ability : When this baby CBR was launched in western markets, they called it a sports cruiser. I myself used to experience this on a daily basis. Post the oil change I had spoken of previously, the bike is very quick to reach 80kmph and has a very addictive surge. It's equally thrilling and dangerous, provided you can keep it under control. It can do triple digit speeds all day, and I'm assuming that you're lighter than me. So in that case, the bike can reach higher speeds even faster.

You can do office commutes, rides with other big bikes, highway trips, dates (just in case - they won't complain about the backseat too; it's got a lot of padding to keep them comfortable) and other activities. The design is timeless and still turns heads wherever you go. You name it, CBR can do it with style, grace, elegance and comfort.

This bike has no red flags as such, just look out for the ticking noise. I'll share the link of my thread, where it has been discussed at length.

I'm so sorry that I forgot about the bike you asked about. Please DM me using this same username at instagram and I will be able to help you instantly, and at length.

Try haggling for atleast 80k. Anything above that doesn't make sense. Tell that you need to upgrade to an LED bulb, brake pads, tyres, etc. Most importantly, check the pending traffic violations on the vehicle and use that to reduce the price. We can do it here in Hyderabad. I dont know the case for Bangalore.

In the case of upgrades : halogens don't make sense in 2023. Upgrade to an LED main bulb. And your stars will thank you. I've observed that the Versah brake pads offer better brake feel. It's immediately noticeable. You can easily upgrade to it. Get an exide battery, my Amaron has been giving me problems recently.

The link to my thread : https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...50r-c-abs.html (Project Phoenix - The Tale of an abused 2011 Honda CBR 250R C-ABS)
saitvsk23 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2023, 13:31   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NB_4763 View Post
Hello Guys

I am currently confused whether is it worth to buy a CBR 250R in 2023.

I usually prefer car for commuting but now my work location has shifted and travel distance is 50kms Daily. I had decided to do the commute on 2 wheeler as I can save time in traffic. My budget was around 80k on a second hand bike so I came across this 2016 CBR 250R ABS run 30k for 85k rupees[3rd Owner]. Is it a good deal? Should I go for it?
80k for a 3rd owner bike is a very bad deal in my opinion. You can easily get a very well maintained 1st owner CBR260r ABS version for less than 1 lac (2016-2018 models which were right before the BS4 ones)

Regarding your requirements from the other post,
It is a comfortable sports tourer. If you are used to commuter bikes or cruisers, then it will take time for you to get used to it. If your usage is city only, the bike isn't fun to ride. It's a sports tourer and hence, the real fun is to ride on highways at speeds of 80+ on top gear.

I've owned the bike since 2012 and have been constantly getting a fuel efficiency of ~28 kmpl in city and 33 kmpl on highways.

The sweet spot of this bike is between 5k and 6k RPM on top gear. That translates to speeds between 80 and 96 kmph where the engine vibrations are lowest. It can do high speeds too ofcourse but the engine is mostly relaxed between 5-6k RPM. At those speeds constantly, you can expected a mileage of 35kmpl.

The spare parts are an issue at service centers. Will take time to order slow moving parts (regular service parts like oil and air filter, fork oil seal, etc are available). Doesn't matter how reliable Honda bikes are but if the bike is owned by 3 different owners, I will not trust it even if the price is low.

Conclusion from me - look for a first owner CBR ABS bike from 2016-18 and don't mind paying 1L for it after getting it test ridden yourself and inspected by a trusted mechanic.

Other option - there are other decent options other than CBR. Example - FZ250, Honda Hness, Gixxer 250, etc which offer good refinement equal to or better than the CBR and are more comfortable and give better fuel efficiency (and isn't discontinued yet)
Ratan Prabhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2023, 13:48   #94
BHPian

Quote:
I also plan on holding on to it for as long as possible so will the spares be too expensive?
Some list of spares and their approx price at present :

Air filter 400
Oil filter 300
Fuel filter 300
Front brake pad C-ABS 1900
Rear brake pad C-ABS 1300
Chain sprocket kit 1850
Cone set bearings 1200
Set of both wheel bearings 900
Monoshock suspension 2000
Windscreen 1000
Honda pre mix blue coolant 300
RR unit 2500
Stator magnet coil 3700
Stock exide battery 1700

That's a list from the top of my head and rates are approximate. Other than the brake pads, you can say that the spare part prices are pretty much on par with or cheaper than any 2-3L bike. The only issue is availability.
Ratan Prabhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2023, 20:57   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratan Prabhu View Post
80k for a 3rd owner bike is a very bad deal in my opinion. You can easily get a very well maintained 1st owner CBR260r ABS version for less than 1 lac (2016-2018 models which were right before the BS4 ones)

Regarding your requirements from the other post,
It is a comfortable sports tourer. If you are used to commuter bikes or cruisers, then it will take time for you to get used to it. If your usage is city only, the bike isn't fun to ride. It's a sports tourer and hence, the real fun is to ride on highways at speeds of 80+ on top gear.

I've owned the bike since 2012 and have been constantly getting a fuel efficiency of ~28 kmpl in city and 33 kmpl on highways.

The sweet spot of this bike is between 5k and 6k RPM on top gear. That translates to speeds between 80 and 96 kmph where the engine vibrations are lowest. It can do high speeds too ofcourse but the engine is mostly relaxed between 5-6k RPM. At those speeds constantly, you can expected a mileage of 35kmpl.

The spare parts are an issue at service centers. Will take time to order slow moving parts (regular service parts like oil and air filter, fork oil seal, etc are available). Doesn't matter how reliable Honda bikes are but if the bike is owned by 3 different owners, I will not trust it even if the price is low.

Conclusion from me - look for a first owner CBR ABS bike from 2016-18 and don't mind paying 1L for it after getting it test ridden yourself and inspected by a trusted mechanic.

Other option - there are other decent options other than CBR. Example - FZ250, Honda Hness, Gixxer 250, etc which offer good refinement equal to or better than the CBR and are more comfortable and give better fuel efficiency (and isn't discontinued yet)
The Problem is its hard to find a well maintained first owner CBR 250R ABS under 1 lakh in Bangalore. I have been searching for the past 5 months and have barely found good examples under 1 lakh. My parents are forcing me to buy a new bike but I feel like I will need to spend around 2-2.5 lakhs which is a huge amount for someone who just started working.

My initial plan was to go with a Used Xpulse or FZ 25 but my cousin suggested me to go for a CBR 250R as he used to own one and told me it is a VFM bike now.

I guess I will have to wait for few months and find a well maintained example. If that does not workout i will have to go ahead with a used Xpulse.
Old 11th June 2023, 13:17   #96
BHPian

Quote:
My budget was around 80k on a second hand bike
In your budget you can get the following:

TVS Apache RTR 200 4v (2017-2020, BS4)
Get ABS versions, ₹60-85k for nice ones. ~40 km/l & low up-keep costs.

Bajaj Dominar 400 (2017-2018, BS4)
Priced in ballpark of ₹90-105k, can bargain further easily. ~30 km/l & fair maintenance costs.

Bajaj Pulsar NS200 (2017-2020, BS4)
₹65-95k, ~35 km/l & low maintenance costs.

KTM Duke 390 1st gen (2015-2016 updated models with slipper clutch)
₹80-110k, Nice examples hard to come by, but worth every penny. ~30 km/l & little higher up-keep wise due to age, but still doesn't hurt your wallet.

Hope this helps.
Old 11th June 2023, 17:05   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmanTDK View Post
In your budget you can get the following:
Thanks for the Suggestions. Few of them I had rejected for reasons below

1: RTR 200 4V - My classmate from college (Now we work in the same company) has recently decided for an used RTR 200 4V after I had suggested him for it. He went ahead for a White RTR 200 4V ABS which was in very good condition. As I am 6'1" the bike really felt uncomfortable for me. Apart from that the bike was perfect.

2: Dominar 400 - Saw few options but held back due to its weight. Probably might have to reconsider it again due to lack of options.

3: NS200 - Not interested in NS200 as it does not have Dual Channel ABS. I did check out RS200 but did not find good examples.

4: Duke 390 - This is an Option I had never considered. Might reconsider it if I find a good example under 1 lakh (Which I think is very rare). But need to check about overheating in Bangalore Traffic during peak hours.

UPDATE - The Third Owner CBR 250R person was not ready to procure the service history from service center so that I could check it which felt like a RED FLAG to me. So I am back to square one
Old 11th June 2023, 17:08   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmanTDK View Post
(2017-2020, BS4)
₹60-85k
2 Corrections:
2018, not 2017 &
₹70-95k, not ₹60-85k

Old 12th June 2023, 00:21   #99
BHPian

Had owned the ABS version back in 2013 and its a good bike but have to tell you service centre experience will be pathetic not to mention the long queue of activa’s and other commuter bikes there,Honda should have launched it through the Bigwing, CBR 250 deserved it and then things might have been better .
I sold it after 3 years having only ridden 15 k mainly because of pathetic service and spare parts availability was an issue in the bike’s prime so one can guess what it will be now, if going ahead with CBR consider a good FNG that can source parts and provide quality workmanship because the bike requires small but constant TLC, the quality levels overall for me was never typical Honda especially after spending close to 2 lakhs back in the day.

Last edited by VwRabbit : 12th June 2023 at 00:26.
VwRabbit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 12:03   #100
BHPian

Quote:
I am currently confused whether is it worth to buy a CBR 250R in 2023.
Quote:

My Main priorities are
- Must be reliable

My usage will be mainly office commute and occasional bike rides with colleagues. I also plan on holding on to it for as long as possible so will the spares be too expensive? Also are there any major red flags to look out for?
I've been commuting to office with CBR250R ABS for more than 11 years now. I assure you it is a great bike for that. Too bad Honda decided to stop it after BS6. I hope they bring it back.
I'm not sure about the 80k price tag for 3rd owner. I expect it to be lesser. Although CBR250 is a great bike, its second hand rate is less in market.

Regarding your priorities:
- Decent mileage (35+ will be great): Since it is around 7 years old, expect mileage to be between 25 - 30. It also depends on how you ride it. I get around 25kmpl.

- Decent comfort for daily commute: Absolutely great for daily commute. Being a sport cruiser, it has a really comfortable sitting posture. You won't feel tired after the 50 km ride. In fact you will look forward to it .

- Must be reliable: Being a Honda, comfort, reliability, mileage come with the package. You can easily keep it for next 10 years.

- Must be able to cruise at 80-100Kmph: You can do 80 - 100 kmph all day long. It won't break a sweat and neither will you. Also since it is 250cc, a quick overtake is just a twist of wrist away even at 80 - 100 kmph .

Thinks to keep in mind
* Spares are going to be an issue. Especially if you are planning to keep it for next 10 years. Especially since it is not in production any more. Frankly this is the only red flag you should worry about.
* Make sure you get ABS variant.
* Make sure you get a good riding jacket, DOT certified helmet, gauntlet gloves, knee guards and good shoes. Since you will be riding around 80 kmph daily, it is absolutely necessary for your life. For last 11 years, I never rode without these equipment. And it did save my life twice. So do spend around 15k on these if you don't have them already.

All the best !!
rAijin_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 14:08   #101
BHPian

80k for 3rd owner bike is an overkill IMO, but in case if it’s really a well maintained bike with no major issues and serviced regularly with some service history to show then you can negotiate a little and take the plunge. If the bike is in really good condition mechanically then it will easily serve you for many more kms to come.

Service may be an issue. In Pune the 250s are serviced by Big Wing now and they are reasonably good. You can check with your city. A good FNG will also be able to service it well so that should not be an issue.

You will be super comfortable on this machine for your commute as it’s a great package in itself.

Coming to your point of getting an Xpulse for commute, then it might not be a good and comfortable alternative for daily commute. You can check FZ’s or similar bikes instead.
Old 12th June 2023, 15:35   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the Suggestions. Few of them I had rejected for reasons below

1: RTR 200 4V - My classmate from college (Now we work in the same company) has recently decided for an used RTR 200 4V after I had suggested him for it. He went ahead for a White RTR 200 4V ABS which was in very good condition. As I am 6'1" the bike really felt uncomfortable for me. Apart from that the bike was perfect.

2: Dominar 400 - Saw few options but held back due to its weight. Probably might have to reconsider it again due to lack of options.

3: NS200 - Not interested in NS200 as it does not have Dual Channel ABS. I did check out RS200 but did not find good examples.

4: Duke 390 - This is an Option I had never considered. Might reconsider it if I find a good example under 1 lakh (Which I think is very rare). But need to check about overheating in Bangalore Traffic during peak hours.

UPDATE - The Third Owner CBR 250R person was not ready to procure the service history from service center so that I could check it which felt like a RED FLAG to me. So I am back to square one
Pro Tip : If you have the registration number and chassis number, you should be able to walk into any Honda dealership and ask for the service history. I had asked and got a copy.
Old 17th June 2023, 13:08   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saitvsk23 View Post
Pro Tip : If you have the registration number and chassis number, you should be able to walk into any Honda dealership and ask for the service history. I had asked and got a copy.
Here in Bangalore no showroom shares the service history. Only the owner can get it. When i spoke to the service centre they said that it is illegal to give out service history [I have no clue how it's illegal]. When i asked the owner to get the service history he was hesitant. So i didn't go through the deal.
NB_4763 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2023, 13:46   #104
BHPian

Quote:

My Main priorities are
- Must be reliable

I would say that an FZ25 makes perfect sense for you. I have checked out a few of them recently. They are good power commuters and I think Yamaha parts situation is a lot better than CBR. I personally ended up buying a Gixxer 250 thanks to a good price but the parts situation and support is poor.

Post 2019 ABS FZ25s with sub 20k kms are available for around 1L mark.
b16h22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2023, 15:22   #105
Senior - BHPian

I would not recommend to go for CBR 250 because of spares issue, especially if you will be using it for touring - Spares are going to be an issue. Especially if you are planning to keep it for next 10 years. Especially since it is not in production any more. Frankly this is the only red flag you should worry about.

Stuck in some unknown land (rarely happens to CBR, but usual culprits like stator coil, chain tensioner etc) without spares will not be a pleasant experience, as some people have experienced. Then they have to ship the bike to their base location.

Otherwise, it is a very capable and reliable machine. The second hand prices are cheap because of a reason - discontinued bike that did not do well with step motherly treatment by Honda.
PatienceWins is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks