Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2007, 01:10   #31
Senior - BHPian

well now i have a unicorn version 2, i fitted karizma alloys on it modding the front disk calipers have the pics and i NOW HAVE THE CORRECT INFO TO GIVE YOU GUYS.

I HAVE THEM IN THE FOLLOWING THREAD

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...r-views-5.html

FOR FURTHER QUERIES PM ME!

Last edited by rider60 : 21st October 2007 at 01:29.
Old 21st October 2007, 16:30   #32
BHPian

I own a unicorn and i changed the rear to a MRF 100/90, now i want the honourable Bhpians to clear my long lasting doubt whether an 110/90 can be fitted without changing the 1. swingarm 2. without removing the chain gaurd, bcz there has been a lot of people saying 100/90 is the max and others saying 110/90 is the max without modifications, which is true pls clear this big DOUBT .
Old 22nd October 2007, 00:32   #33
Senior - BHPian

sathyaprakash you can fit the 100/90 tyre with out modding the swing arm or removing the chain cover. but if you wish to go for the 110/90 tyre then you may need to remove the chain cover but the swing arm modding is is nor necessary. on the V1 & V2 unicorns the max tyre size that can be fitted with out modding the swing arm is 120/80 but if the tyre is not properly aligned then its sides may rub the swingarm slightly!

well i have 120/80-18 mrf zapper Q on my uni but since my bike is version 2 unicorn it rubbed the swingarm during double riding so i changed my swingarm to a version 3 unicorn that costs 750bucks and 150 bucks fixing charges! and now i am fine with even the double riding!

for pics check my gallery!
Old 22nd October 2007, 13:23   #34
BHPian

Hey Sam ,
I'v been riding my Unicorn since more than a year, had no problem with the front tyre but i was not too happy with the rear stock MRF (zapper) provided by HONDA (especially in wet conditions) so i replaced it with MRF Nylogrip 3.50 x 18. Some might feel that it has a dated design but i m sure RD & enfield owner will agree that they provide excellent grip.
Your friend can opt for 3.25 x 18 Nylogrip also, which Yamaha used to fit on their RX's.

I am again on my stock zapper as the nylogrip was used to its fullest.. Planning to replace it with 3.25 this time (I think it will be a bit more smooth than 3.50 ) but a bit worried abt the smaller section, wht if it wont corner as well as the 3.50.
Old 22nd October 2007, 19:50   #35
BHPian

memebers of this forum pls confirm whether its is 100/90 or 110/90 which is the MAX allowed in the honda UNICORN rear without any mod or removal of chain cover. Pls confirm this bcz there is lot of confusion regarding the MAX one can fit without mod.
Old 22nd October 2007, 22:54   #36
Senior - BHPian

for sure its 100/90 that can be fixed without any mods whatsoever! Mr.satyaprakash!
Old 23rd October 2007, 18:53   #37
BHPian

rider60> thks for ur contribution, can an Ist version uni which came WITHOUT the alloys be changed to the uni3 swingarm and add the 110/90 rear tyre without removing the CHAIN COVER? pls clarify thks in advance.
Old 23rd October 2007, 20:35   #38
Senior - BHPian

you dont need to change the swingarm for a 110/90 tyre but will have to remove the chain cover just confirmed that today!

if you are going for a tyre above 110/90-18 that is 120/80-18 tyre then you will have to change the swingarm to the v3 uni's like i did on my bike checkout this thread for the photos! and also remove the chain cover its a must!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ture-1175.html.

this is my T-BHP Garage.

Last edited by rider60 : 23rd October 2007 at 20:36.
Old 12th February 2008, 15:42   #39
Team-BHP Support

Guys I just upgraded the rear tyre on my Unicorn from MRF Zapper 3.00 x 18. I chose the Michelin M45 3.25x18 and it fitted well. I feel the need for a slightly wider rim.

Deal:
The upgrade happened at Darshan Tyres in Kothrud - Pune. Now, Darshan tyres also has a branch on F.C. Road where they quoted Rs. 1800/- for the tyre + the tube would be charged extra (this is their main branch IIRC). I visited their Kothrud outlet just to take a chance on pricing and guess what, I got the same tyre with a new Dunlop tube for Rs. 1550/-. Thats a deal. I wonder why the difference in pricing between two branches of the same company.

Riding Experience:

I went for a short spin to Pirangut ghats which is about 10 kms from my house. The tyre size upgrade is a welcome change. I could easily lean out with much better confidence on the newer and wider rubber holding the bike in hang all along the corner. Loved it for the short spin I had. I am sure I could go further down the lean and faster with this tyre but I need to get used to the change in dynamics. Once I do I'll let you guys know

Enjoy the pics:

Last edited by moralfibre : 12th February 2008 at 15:44.
Old 12th February 2008, 21:15   #40
Senior - BHPian

Did you just change the rear. What are you running up front?
Old 12th February 2008, 21:41   #41
BHPian

Michelin was available for INR 850 few years ago when it was available officially!! I had it on my Shaolin. Can't believe prices have gone up so much...how much does MRF Zapper cost now?
Old 12th February 2008, 21:54   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Did you just change the rear. What are you running up front?
Just changed the rear. I wanted to do the front as well but most of the fellow bikers whom I took advice from did not approve. It is a 2.75x18 stock MRF Zapper but has a center line tread unlike the rear which had no grip whatsoever in straight line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish7 View Post
Michelin was available for INR 850 few years ago when it was available officially!! I had it on my Shaolin. Can't believe prices have gone up so much...how much does MRF Zapper cost now?
Manish, I remember but that was about 3 years ago at least. Property prices have gone up, petrol prices have gone up, tyre prices have gone up as well. The tyre I purchased had a $59 sticker on it. This is imported and is purchased from an official Michelin dealer. I got a bill for the product as well. They have assured a warranty against manufacturing defect.

The rim width is an issue here. I am using a 1.85 wide rim. I think I'll fit the one from the Pulsar 180 which is 2.75 wide. Will it give a wider contact patch? I think a wider rim will lead to fouling of the tyre with the chain cover as there is very low clearance available there. Lets see how it goes.
Old 13th February 2008, 00:14   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
I wanted to do the front as well but most of the fellow bikers whom I took advice from did not approve.
If you are looking for grip you should change the front also and go for Michelin, there is a lot of difference between MRF and Michelin. Upgrade the front to 3"x18 and you will see considerable difference in handling.

Quote:
I think I'll fit the one from the Pulsar 180 which is 2.75 wide. Will it give a wider contact patch? I think a wider rim will lead to fouling of the tyre with the chain cover .
You will get a wider contact patch for sure, but thats not the only factor. The tyre should also fit properly on those rims. It should work out, as I have seen a pulsars with M45 (not sure what size, though).
Old 13th February 2008, 09:21   #44
BANNED

Nice choice specially the size and make but bit costly as i bought 4.00x18(close to stock 90/100) for my CBZ for 1600 in Bangalore, but not happy with its broarder size, lost bit of pickup.
Next i am going to try Pirelli Speed Demon for my RD.
Old 13th February 2008, 12:33   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Manish, I remember but that was about 3 years ago at least. Property prices have gone up, petrol prices have gone up, tyre prices have gone up as well. The tyre I purchased had a $59 sticker on it. This is imported and is purchased from an official Michelin dealer. I got a bill for the product as well. They have assured a warranty against manufacturing defect.
Yeah, but Bike prices haven't gone up!! Just that I am just surprised and wondering if it's the fair price...so asked about contemporary tyre prices!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks