Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2015, 14:57   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tyres for Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Thanks. Any idea how much a 100/90-18 Michelin tyre would cost? Also, I guess it is ok to live with 2.75-18 at the front while making the change to the rear tyre.
I am not sure - I think it was around 2.5K (incl of tube).
Yes, it is fine to keep 2.75X18 at front, but please consider replacing your current tyre.

--Anoop
Old 11th February 2015, 15:24   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
I am not sure - I think it was around 2.5K (incl of tube).
Yes, it is fine to keep 2.75X18 at front, but please consider replacing your current tyre.

--Anoop
Sure. Thanks. Will look at changing both tyres then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
@rrzen

For old rims, better opt for tube type tyres.

Change tyre/tube for both wheels at the same time, since both are old.

Changing to alloys from spoke wheels may not be a simple swap. I wanted it done for my Splendor, but my mechanic said the fork may need alterations. So I dropped it. Check out with your mechanic.

Lastly, get both your wheels trued at the time of changing the tyres. That may solve the wobbling.
If it entails any modifications, I am not in for it since I am more of a 'stock' guy. Also, my personal preference is to have the alloys in sliver and not black which is not again available off the shelf. And yes, I am intending to go in for tube type tyres only. Will take care of the truing when changing the tyres before which would want to rule out the possibility of any worn out bushes/bearings.
Old 22nd February 2015, 11:05   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
@rrzen

For old rims, better opt for tube type tyres.

Change tyre/tube for both wheels at the same time, since both are old.

Lastly, get both your wheels trued at the time of changing the tyres. That may solve the wobbling.
Got the following quote from LAL Tyre Center for Michelins:

2.75/18 - 1850 INR
100/90/18 - 2550 INR

As per the dealer, these tyres are manufactured at Madurai where Michelin has bought over the erstwhile TVS tyres and are using their plant for manufacturing Michelin. The one he showed me was the 'Sirac" brand of Michelin.

I am not sure if I should go in for these as I tend to view it with coloured eyes since its the erstwhile TVS tyres. Any suggestions/feedback?

On the other hand, thinking of CEAT as an option since I have had CEAT on all my bikes for more than 10-12 years and they have served me very well.

Also, any pointers to a good dealer would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
rr_zen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2015, 23:19   #64
Senior - BHPian

I too don't have a high opinion of TVS tyres. Though the brand is Michelin and QC will be by them, let us wait and watch.

I would suggest MRF tyres. There are plenty of dealers, look around.
Old 24th February 2015, 15:18   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

As per the dealer, these tyres are manufactured at Madurai where Michelin has bought over the erstwhile TVS tyres and are using their plant for manufacturing Michelin. The one he showed me was the 'Sirac" brand of Michelin.
I don't think Michelin is just re-branding the TVS tyres. The Sirac street is good (currently my Unicorn runs on it), though not in the league of good old M45.

--Anoop
Old 24th February 2015, 15:34   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
I don't think Michelin is just re-branding the TVS tyres. The Sirac street is good (currently my Unicorn runs on it), though not in the league of good old M45.

--Anoop
I have taken a leap of faith and gone in for Michelins for my bike. Have done about 50 km so far on the new tyres. The bike feels more stable and planted. Have to address an issue of chain misalignment that was a fallout of poor workmanship while replacing the tyres. Once that's done, I would be in a better position to clock higher speeds and assess the tyres better.
rr_zen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2015, 16:20   #67
BHPian

I am little late on this thread but I see you have already gone for the Sirac street and trust me I will say you won't be disappointed even a bit.

I changed both my unicorn tyres (Alloy wheel model) at 50 K and till date had no problem with them whatsoever. Have done 12 K so far and trust me these are the best tyres i have come across till date. No fish tailing, excellent wet grip and holds on to the road in loose sand too.

Good luck and I am sure you will post your reviews soon.

Here is the thread where i posted my comments then :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3112069
Abhi_abarth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2015, 16:30   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Have to address an issue of chain misalignment that was a fallout of poor workmanship while replacing the tyres. ..
Please get these fixed asap...I had a broken chain a short while after change of tyres at the same place. Made me realise how important the alignment of the rear wheel is (relative to the chain tension and straightness).

Good choice of tyres...I am enjoying the Michelins on my Unicorn (2005)...amazing grip, can slant into curves safely....absolutely love the rear tyre tread pattern.
Blue Thunder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2015, 16:57   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Please get these fixed asap...I had a broken chain a short while after change of tyres at the same place. Made me realise how important the alignment of the rear wheel is (relative to the chain tension and straightness).

Good choice of tyres...I am enjoying the Michelins on my Unicorn (2005)...amazing grip, can slant into curves safely....absolutely love the rear tyre tread pattern.
Thanks for the input. I am all the more serious about getting it done ASAP. The tyres feel good and is no comparison to the stock MRF zappers I had earlier. Thankfully, managed to get this long overdue task completed yesterday. Am glad I made a sensible decision by going in for these tyres. Thanks to all for their valuable inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
I am little late on this thread but I see you have already gone for the Sirac street and trust me I will say you won't be disappointed even a bit.

I changed both my unicorn tyres (Alloy wheel model) at 50 K and till date had no problem with them whatsoever. Have done 12 K so far and trust me these are the best tyres i have come across till date. No fish tailing, excellent wet grip and holds on to the road in loose sand too.

Good luck and I am sure you will post your reviews soon.

Here is the thread where i posted my comments then :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3112069
Thanks. I sure will share my feedback soon. One of the issues that I faced was fish tailing esp on the highway and made me unnerved. Once I fix the chain alignment issue, I should be able to rule out the possibility of fish tailing anymore with the new tyres.

EDIT: Just checked your post on the above thread and I feel the same way with the handle/steer. The front as such feels more heavy. In a way it inspires confidence but on the other hand is a tad tough to steer.

Last edited by rr_zen : 24th February 2015 at 17:03.
rr_zen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2015, 17:44   #70
BHPian

Quote:
EDIT: Just checked your post on the above thread and I feel the same way with the handle/steer. The front as such feels more heavy. In a way it inspires confidence but on the other hand is a tad tough to steer.
The heavy feel should go off gradually after run in period of the tyres else get the handle cone set checked. The cones take the beating of bad roads directly from the shock absorbers and is always good to check them regularly. A broken cone set will jam your handle in sudden manevours.

Regarding the fishtailing, others have already suggested and I would advice you to check the bearings of rear rim/alloys.

Cheers !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks