Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2020, 10:29   #1
BHPian

Best scooter for a 65-year old senior citizen

Hi all
My FIL is 65+ years of age and has been driving the activa (2nd gen activa , then presently 5g). Now needs a second scooter. What would be the best option now?
Requirements
1. Ride comfort and suspension the topmost priority (height : 5'6)
2. Mileage not an issue (since drives at 40km/hr max )
3. Have all the major showrooms nearby so service also not issue.
4. Storage space average to good preferred.

Require your advice and recommendation.
vinuchel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th September 2020, 10:30   #2
BHPian

re: Best scooter for a 65-year old senior citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinuchel View Post
Hi all
My FIL is 65+ years of age and has been driving the activa (2nd gen activa , then presently 5g). Now needs a second scooter. What would be the best option now?
Requirements

TVS Jupiter is the one and then suzuki access... Jupiter ticks all boxes in terms of super ride quality and storage space.
Avinash_R is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th September 2020, 10:34   #3
BHPian

Honestly, no 2 wheeler is worth the safety risk. I know this is OT but I have seen many accidents within the family involving 2 wheelers within the city.

Even an autorickshaw is safer than a 2 wheeler.

If you absolutely need a 2 wheeler, do explore an option with ABS at least. But again, for someone over 60, a scooter or bike is very unsafe on Indian roads and should not be encouraged. Get a used Nano for a lower price than a new Activa.

Last edited by Cessna182 : 12th September 2020 at 10:38.
Cessna182 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 12th September 2020, 10:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

I am 66 and been using Hero Maestro Edge since last 3 years. I feel the scooter is comfortable, especially with external fuelling system (no need to get up and open up the seat for filling fuel).

Prior to Maestro Edge, I used to ride TVS Wego which was also good to drive.

I have also driven TVS Jupiter, which also very good to drive (TVS Wego and Jupiter comes with alloy wheels and 12 inch tyres both front and back, whereas Maestro Edge comes with 12 inches in front and 10 inch in back).
nairrk is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 12th September 2020, 10:54   #5
BHPian

I would recommend the Honda Activa 6G. It is as good as the TVS Jupiter now with the front telescopic forks and the external fuel filler. However, you get the tried and tested Honda motor which is more refined and trouble free.
Akash.D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2020, 11:18   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinuchel View Post
Hi all
Requirements

My friend stays in a joint family of 14 members. They have over 7 scooters - 1 Vespa, 1 Ntorq, 3 Activas, 1 Access and 1 TVS Pep Plus which is for the college going girl in the family. My friend's father, a 73 year old retired man with similar body frame like your FIL bought Suzuki Access last year, but at every given opportunity he prefers taking the TVS Pep Plus for his daily jogging park + temple ride. Just because it's the lightest scooter of all. And then for his day errands he switches to the second lightest scooter - Access which has the best storage capacity. Hope this provides an additional perspective.

Also, do ask him if he's OK with electric scooters? Those would invite other possibilities.
creative420 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 12th September 2020, 12:14   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Since height is 5 feet 6 inch , I would not recommend wego, jupiter and activa since both feet cannot reach the ground comfortably

Prefer a scooter sitting on which he can place both his feet on the ground comfortably. Telescopic suspension is a must. Yamaha Ray, scooty zest are good options for shorter people

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 12th September 2020 at 12:16.
sagarpadaki is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2020, 13:01   #8
BHPian

Hi,

I have just bought a Suzuki Burgman Street a few months ago and am very happy with it. plenty of leg room and underseat storage. Suspension is also good. Long, comfortable seat. I find it much better than my previous scooter - a Vespa. However, it is a bit heavy. I am in almost the same age bracket as your FIL but height is 5'11".

Cheers,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2020, 16:26   #9
BHPian

if your decision for getting a scooter is not arbitrary, then consider getting a used alto 800, much safer than any two wheeler and easy to drive.
Rshrey22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2020, 17:08   #10
BHPian

I would suggest the Scooty Zest BS6
Reasons: Front telescopic forks, good for shorter riders, looks great in all the shades, brilliant engine, storage pocket at the front and doesn't cost a lot.
RavSam is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 12th September 2020, 17:12   #11
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
Reasons: Front telescopic forks, good for shorter riders, looks great in all the shades, brilliant engine, storage pocket at the front and doesn't cost a lot.
+1 for Scooty zest. Add one more benefit - light weight. So easy to park and take out a parked bike. I'm seeing on road many senior citizens quite comfortable with Pep and Zest.
KPR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2020, 17:18   #12
Senior - BHPian

How long has he been riding? If he is a long time rider, his present age makes no difference unless there are some other issues. Leave the choice to him. If he is comfortable with motorbikes, let him get one.

I am 60 myself, I have been riding bikes continuously for 40 years. And don't plan to stop anytime soon!
Gansan is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 13th September 2020, 06:54   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Best scooter for a 65-year old senior citizen

Here is a related thread for a senior-citizen's scooter, albeit 3 years old. That discussion might help you too.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2020, 09:04   #14
BHPian

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avinash_R View Post
TVS Jupiter is the one and then suzuki access... Jupiter ticks all boxes in terms of super ride quality and storage space.
We have shortlisted the Jupiter, Access, Activa 125 finally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna182 View Post
Honestly, no 2 wheeler is worth the safety risk. I know this is OT but I have seen many accidents within the family involving 2 wheelers within the city.

Even an autorickshaw is safer than a 2 wheeler.

If you absolutely need a 2 wheeler, do explore an option with ABS at least. But again, for someone over 60, a scooter or bike is very unsafe on Indian roads and should not be encouraged. Get a used Nano for a lower price than a new Activa.
Actually our home bylanes are a bit narrow and car is not feasible. Also FIL prefers a scooter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
I am 66 and been using Hero Maestro Edge since last 3 years. I feel the scooter is comfortable, especially with external fuelling system (no need to get up and open up the seat for filling fuel).

Prior to Maestro Edge, I used to ride TVS Wego which was also good to drive.

I have also driven TVS Jupiter, which also very good to drive (TVS Wego and Jupiter comes with alloy wheels and 12 inch tyres both front and back, whereas Maestro Edge comes with 12 inches in front and 10 inch in back).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akash.D View Post
I would recommend the Honda Activa 6G. It is as good as the TVS Jupiter now with the front telescopic forks and the external fuel filler. However, you get the tried and tested Honda motor which is more refined and trouble free.
Even FIL prefers the 6G but thought would go with one with front disc also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
My friend stays in a joint family of 14 members. They have over 7 scooters - 1 Vespa, 1 Ntorq, 3 Activas, 1 Access and 1 TVS Pep Plus which is for the college going girl in the family. My friend's father, a 73 year old retired man with similar body frame like your FIL bought Suzuki Access last year, but at every given opportunity he prefers taking the TVS Pep Plus for his daily jogging park + temple ride. Just because it's the lightest scooter of all. And then for his day errands he switches to the second lightest scooter - Access which has the best storage capacity. Hope this provides an additional perspective.

Also, do ask him if he's OK with electric scooters? Those would invite other possibilities.
Not too progressive, so electric scooters are out of list. Also there's a scooty pep in my family. I have driven and its the smoothest of all but feel bit more weight is necessary to keep it grounded and stable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Since height is 5 feet 6 inch , I would not recommend wego, jupiter and activa since both feet cannot reach the ground comfortably

Prefer a scooter sitting on which he can place both his feet on the ground comfortably. Telescopic suspension is a must. Yamaha Ray, scooty zest are good options for shorter people
FIL has been using an Activa for 10 years plus and is quite fine with activa. Also Ray and Zest are a bit too colorful for him

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi,

I have just bought a Suzuki Burgman Street a few months ago and am very happy with it. plenty of leg room and underseat storage. Suspension is also good. Long, comfortable seat. I find it much better than my previous scooter - a Vespa. However, it is a bit heavy. I am in almost the same age bracket as your FIL but height is 5'11".

Cheers,
SS
Even I suggested bergman but looks too bulky for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
Good suggestion, I will consider that too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
How long has he been riding? If he is a long time rider, his present age makes no difference unless there are some other issues. Leave the choice to him. If he is comfortable with motorbikes, let him get one.

I am 60 myself, I have been riding bikes continuously for 40 years. And don't plan to stop anytime soon!
FIL haven't rode a motorcycle in his life. Only scooters
Old 13th September 2020, 22:15   #15
BHPian

TVS Jupiter all the way. We had a Suzuki Access, which we had to sell it because of engine and compression issues.

All the scooters more or less drive the same and give the same mileage.

Things my dad (aged 70 and 5.4 feet in height) felt better in Jupiter when compared to Access.

Putting the TVS Jupiter on center stand is a breeze. My dad could not ever put the Access on a center stand.
Unlike other scooters, one can kick start the Jupiter by sitting on the seat (just like chetak). No need of putting the Jupiter on center stand for a kick start.
He felt Jupiter on the lighter side when compared to Access.

Also, I felt, TVS regular service is better when compared to Suzuki( I always use their express service, and they give back the scooter in one hour flat).

If you are purchasing the Jupiter, please do not opt for the beige plastic panel variant, instead go for the black plastic variant. Maintaining the beige is a pain.
cormodore is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks