Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2020, 09:47   #1
BHPian

Guide: Buying Used Motorcycles

*Disclaimer section - please feel free to skip this post and move to the one below if you want to get directly to the content. Will try to keep this objective and short.*

Why am I writing this?

Two reasons:
- I was in the process of looking for a used motorcycle and I found a good article on a forum and wanted to put together something (as a starting point) to help aid research.
- I'm convinced that a used vehicle is the way to go - a motorcycle or a car - unless you get tax benefit because you own a business etc. A little patience, time & effort and doing your due diligence is all you need to get a decent motorcycle (or a car).

Also, one extra from my side:
- Most knowledgeable folks are reluctant to start a thread (based on what I have seen). They read and they leave which doesn't help. Hopefully, experienced riders here can chime in and add/point out mistakes to make this thread better. I'm not a technical expert, not at all.

What this post is and is not?

It is:
- taken from what I found on another forum (link will be posted) and I have added/modified content for it to become somewhat applicable to Indian scenarios to the best of my knowledge. For sure, feel free to point out errors and add updates.
- a tool for you to read and then go do your research on specific areas based on the model that you're looking for. There are manufacturer-specific forums and even model specific forums that have valuable info.
- some of my personal experiences with motorcycles over the years. Even though I have not traded many motorcycles, I have seen and rode motorcycles for close to - let's say 10+ years.

It is not:
- a problem and solution guide. I'll be touching on some common issues that should help you understand the condition of the motorcycle.
- a manufacturer review - Japanese better than Italian or Harley better than Indian (motorcycles).
- a guide for all kinds of motorcycles. Feel free to skip sections if it doesn't make sense to you or your purchase. For eg., my experience is only on chain-driven motorcycles and not belt and shaft-driven ones. Most of the motorcycles in India are chain driven anyways.

Towards the end, I'll also put some of the things I would and wouldn't do while looking for a used motorcycle. I'm not too good at buying and selling. I know a number of people who score great deals and I am nowhere close to their expertise. But I'm hopeful this thread will evolve with time.

Last edited by voyageur : 22nd November 2020 at 06:12.
voyageur is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 09:49   #2
BHPian

re: Guide: Buying Used Motorcycles

http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html

First things first, above is the link to a well-written, detailed guide to picking up a used motorcycle. If you have the time and if it interests you, I'd definitely recommend reading through it. It's got images to show specific damages which help. I believe it is US/North-America specific article and would apply more to bigger cc bikes but it's all relatable.

Background work

- Have an idea of what motorcycle you want to buy. Narrow down the Engine displacement (cc), manufacturer etc beforehand.

For eg., if I'm going to the market for a 150cc motorcycle, it would be overwhelming for me to consider all the different models but if I select three manufacturers say, Honda, KTM and TVS based on my previous experience or personal choice, it makes things easier.

- Once you are through with the above (or even if you're not able to select any particular model) - next thing to do is to use the internet effectively to research. Read reviews (especially long-term reviews), watch YouTube vlogs, check out forums to know more about the motorcycle. Look for common issues, failures, availability of parts and focus on the negatives I would say. See if you can live with those negatives.

For eg., let's say the older KTM RC390 would fry your legs to crisps in traffic. If you plan on commuting daily in Bangalore on that motorcycle for a couple of hours, it's a challenge. Maybe you can live with it or maybe you cannot - only you can say, and to decide that you should know the issue first.

- Talk to people. The best thing about the automotive community is the camaraderie we share. Feel free to private message folks on the forum who own the motorcycle you are planning to buy. Ask for their opinion. If they are close to where you live and are friendly, you can even visit them and have a look at their motorcycle and meet them in person. If you cannot find anyone on the forum, ask your friends and relatives if they know someone.

Also, take their opinion with a pinch of salt - some owners will make you feel that their bike has no faults at all. That's never the case.

PS: Avoid this step (and any other step that is unsafe) during the pandemic. Stay safe!

- If the bike is still being sold, try to visit a dealer. See if you can get a test ride. If you can't get a test ride, at least sit on the motorcycle and get a feel for it. Do you enjoy the riding position? Is it comfortable? Is it too heavy for you?

Sometimes dealers sell second-hand bikes, no harm in checking these out as well but expect to pay 20-30% more than a private sale.

- Finally, create a plan.
--What is your budget - higher limit and lower limit?
--What generation of the model are you planning to buy?
For eg., I don't recall how many generations Pulsar has: UG1, UG2...UG20. But the only Pulsar I would ever buy is the first generation classic Pulsar and the Pulsar 200 NS maybe. Ironically, I owned the first-gen Pulsar with round headlights!
--How far are you willing to go to check out the motorcycle? 50kms-100kms? or you have family/friends in another city and you're willing to put in the effort to transport the motorcycle? You can narrow your search based on that. From what I have seen, used vehicles go cheaper in the North than the South. So if you can manage safe transportation, it might be a good option to consider.
--Any other filters that you want to put in...

Once you create a plan, stick to it especially when it comes to the money part. Don't be swayed by a newer model motorcycle or a motorcycle going for a higher value. It's always good to not stretch yourself too much and have a bit of money up the sleeve for the upkeep.

I cannot think of any other details that you need to work on, so lets now move on.

Now that you're equipped with all the worldly knowledge about the motorcycle, it's common issues, the year/gen you want it is time to actually look for a motorcycle.

OLX, classifieds section of auto-forums like Team-bhp, FB Marketplace, Motorcycle specific forums, asking friends and family (cousins, uncles etc.) are all ways of starting your search.

You need the following IMO to inspect a motorcycle:
a) a good flash-light
b) a knowledgable friend/trusted mechanic
c) other simple tools if you can carry along (like a multimeter)
d) a helmet and other riding gear if you get an opportunity to test drive (TD) the motorcycle.

While reaching out to a seller via an online forum, these are my steps to make contact. Might not be the best way to do and happy to hear if people have better approaches:

- I start with asking for service records. Some owners prefer DIY instead of paying a garage or a dealership. I have high respect for such folks. But I also ask about the parts changed/replaced and see if I can get convincing answers.
- Ask more about the bike; the number of owners, has it been dropped, any issues, any crashes. Remember the answers as you have to cross-check these with the condition of the motorcycle, should you choose to go check it out. Our target here is to have enough info, so ask any question you feel is relevant for later. But also, don't keep asking questions after questions if you're not interested in the motorcycle. There are a lot of people who ask questions and never turn up to check out the bike. So query further only if you're genuinely interested, else you're wasting everyone's time.
- Check if the owner(seller) is ready to bring the motorcycle to a garage/dealership of your choice. Be willing to pay for his fuel/garage bill, because that would be the right thing. The only thing the seller should ideally be spending must be his time. Some owners might right away decline this because they're busy or their motorcycle might have some issues. Either way, I would not go to check this motorcycle out without a mechanic/or a person who works on motorcycles and knows his stuff.
-Finally, ask if the person is firm on his/her price or willing to negotiate? If they are firm on price, go back to your plan and see how it compares. If it is over the higher limit you set, say thanks to the owner and let them know that your budget doesn't allow you to spend that money. If he/she is okay with slight negotiations, then I would definitely not make an offer/negotiate online. I would want to see the motorcycle before I make an offer.

When you decide to go and check out the motorcycle:
- Make sure you do it during the daytime. Even if you are carrying the flash-light (torch), which you should carry irrespective of conditions, you want to see the bike clearly. Hence daytime or have adequate lighting at the location so that visibility is not compromised.
- Ask for the bike to be left cold. This is extremely important. If the owner doesn't comply with this request then I would have a good mechanic look at it or I would be willing to walk away. A cold engine gives away a lot of problems like knocking sounds, hiccups etc. If the owner asks why let him/her know you would like to see if it can start cold. Most owners shouldn't have a problem.
- A knowledgable friend/a good mechanic: This is also important as chances are that you might miss something and they will catch it. If you don't know anyone who can accompany you, your best bet is to book an appointment and take the motorcycle there for an inspection.
- If you're booking an appointment to get the motorcycle inspected, I will suggest that you meet the owner beforehand at his place/pre-arranged location and have a look at the motorcycle and hear the engine start from cold. I cannot stress enough the importance of firing the engine when cold. Post this, you can go along with the owner to the mechanic/FNG/dealership.
- Finally, this might be common sense but just putting it out there: stay clear of any mechanics/garages that the owner used to take this motorcycle to. You can guess why and I don't need to spell out the reason.

Last edited by voyageur : 22nd November 2020 at 06:28.
voyageur is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 10:22   #3
BHPian

To the main part now

It's a common practice for folks to do a T-CLOCK inspection before a ride. The winters are harsh in the west and most people who care about motorcycles store them properly although it's common to sneak a ride on a good day. Come Spring, it really makes sense to do a rigorous check before their ride. India, however, is blessed with riding weather throughout the year. So if you're on top of your maintenance, you can probably skip some of these inspections before a ride. But this would be the bare minimum that you should aim to go through in a motorcycle you buy used.

T- Tires and wheels
C- Controls (clutch, throttle, cables, fuel lines etc)
L- Lights and Electricals
O- Oil and Fluids
C- Chassis/Frame, suspension, chain sprocket etc
K- Kickstand/Centre-stand

Here is a detailed thread which talks about T-Clock: https://www.gtamotorcycle.com/xf/thr...outines.54256/

I'll refer to the first link I posted above and which should cover T-Clock and more.

Overall Appearance:

- Never judge a book by its cover, they say. But when it comes to motorcycles, the appearances speak volumes about the owner. Does it look extremely clean for its age? I would question if the owner is trying to hide something. Does it look bad with a dented tank, scratches all over? I'd be even more concerned.
- When you look at the overall bike, what do you feel? when you touch the fairings or the dash console, are they sitting tight and pretty or is something loose? When you walk around, are you able to spot rusted bolts, loose or stripped wirings or any other fault? Make a mental note of it.
- Do the math of how much you will have to shell out of your pocket to make the motorcycle look the way you want it to. And no, I do not mean in terms of modding the bike. For eg, adding a fairing to a naked motorcycle would be your headache, if it came as a naked bike from the factory. This is more like an initial evaluation: Is the asking price justified?

Tyres and Wheels

- Despite this being 4th or 5th in the above link, I'd like to talk about tyres before we move any further. They are one of the most integral parts of the motorcycle and based on the tire size and kind of motorcycle you ride, you can easily save 5-15k if you get a motorcycle with a good set of tyres.
- For tyres, there are a few things that I consider, a couple of important ones are 1. Age of the tire 2. Tread depth. The tyre will have WWYY stamp on them where WW indicates the week(01-52) and YY (year). The newer the better - but expect to change the tyres if it's older than 4 or 5 years. If it's 3 years old and has enough thread left, you might be able to squeeze in another year out of it, maybe. But always work on worst-case scenarios. To check the tread depth, you might want to check the internet for an in-depth explanation but a short answer is the tires should have at least 1/8" of tread left, preferably more. How I usually do is, I check the wear indicator on the tires and see how much more for the surface to get square with it.
- Ask the owner about his last tyre change, where he buys his tyres from and how many km he could get on his older set?
- Check for other issues like flat-spotting, ragged edges (if the motorcycle is tracked/raced), tyre wear pattern etc as well while you're at it.
- If you get a chance to TD the motorcycle, you'll also be able to figure out if the tyres are balanced.
- One of the biggest concerns with alloy wheels is finding if there are cracks. Inspect it finely to the best of your ability. For wire spokes, bending is something to be cautious about. Putting the bike on the centre-stand, spinning the wheel freely and watching it from a distance from behind (or front depending on the wheel) should help you uncover that.
- Also, a good time to check if the speedometer is working. Spin the front (or rear wheels depending on the motorcycle) as fast as possible and check if the speedometer moves at all. Ensure that it isn't disconnected or simply not working.

Buying a raced/tracked motorcycle

- I personally don't think there is anything wrong with buying a motorcycle that was tracked once in a while, even though I'm not sure if I'd buy one that was used as a racing bike unless I'm going to use it for racing. As long as the bike is serviced after using it for track days (tyres, fluids and consumables like brake pads), I don't see a reason why not to consider them. If the owner has service records to prove, then it shouldn't be a bad idea. A motorcycle like Triumph Daytona 675r belongs on a track...so if you're buying one such motorcycle, expect it to have seen racetracks a few times at least. The main thing is the owner should be upfront about it rather than you finding out.
- Racing, on the other hand, puts the engine and transmission through a lot of stress. Frequent engine and transmission build might be required based on the usage. If you're buying a motorcycle to commute or use frequently on the roads, then maybe it's a bad idea.
- My knowledge of this area is limited. However, if it's raced there will be some mods done including custom fairing, holes drilled through head of the bolts etc. The tires are going to have rough edges and if dropped the frame is most likely to have some damage too. The idea is you should know what you're getting and the condition. It's okay to pick up a raced bike as long as you know it was raced and are paying accordingly.
- In India however, racing or tracking motorcycles are just gaining popularity from what I know. But still depending on the model, you can always choose to check and question the owner on this. Always better to know these details before buying a bike.

Crashes
- One of the reasons people choose to buy a new motorcycle is because they don't want to buy a crashed motorcycle. Many of the crash damages are masked by owners with some cosmetic mods and put up for sale. I do agree that sometimes normal people (like me) can miss during the inspection and only realize a couple of weeks after buying. That's the reason, a mechanic has to have a look at the bike you're planning to buy. Here is one personal instance that I'd like to quote: a mechanic friend and I were looking at a motorcycle. I totally missed the fact that the left clip-on looked newer than the right on that motorcycle. It was a very minute detail and I was never going to catch it. The bike did have its fairing scratched which the owner mentioned that it was dropped by the previous owner. Now I test drove it and the left turning radius was larger than the right, which means the clip-ons had a slight misalignment. So having an extra pair of professional eyes look at the motorcycle is invaluable.
-Small scratches, bruises, dents are all good. Of course, these are bargaining tools for you to get the price down. Check how much the same year, same model motorcycle in pristine condition goes and reduce the price accordingly. I wouldn't necessarily walk away from the motorcycles that have small scratches but also keep in mind that all the small things add up. So make a note of it. If you're inspecting it at a garage, they can give you an estimate of how much it would cost and you can deduct that from the asking price.
- It's important to check a few parts which are prone to fall: forks, frames, engine cover. Forks are notorious for twists, bends. In general, also check if the forks are leaking oil and that might suggest fork seal replacement. If the forks are slightly bent, it's difficult to make out as far as I know. You can sit on the motorcycle and check the travel of the fork by using the front brake and there should be no chips or pitting marks on the forks. If you get to ride the motorcycle - while riding check out the forks for a sec to see if you can find irregularities. You might be able to catch a twisted fork.
- Frame or chassis: If a frame is bent, chances are that it might pull to a side when you're riding. Also, it's not uncommon to a squareness check using strings. More info on this online. You can check the welds to ensure that there are no cracks on them. It's just a pain to deal with anything that has frame damage so I wouldn't consider buying one of those.
- Finally, check overall for scratches. Bar endcaps, levers, frame-sliders (if your motorcycles have them) or crash-guards, engine casings and anything above the footpegs. Anything below the footpegs can be discounted to an enthusiastic rider. If it's a drop, then the damages should be very minor and easy to fix and comparatively a crash at 40 kmph will have more damages than that.

Clutch
- One of the major issues with clutch (and throttle) is the cables snapping off. Regardless of what the owner says, it's best practice to have it changed. It costs pennies but will guarantee you peace of mind. It doesn't hurt to check with the owner when the cables were changed and if the owner has records to prove that it was recently changed, then it saves you some money.
- Bigger issues of clutch slipping: this is one of the exercises when you're starting up the motorcycle. Depress the clutch, engage 1st gear and release the clutch. The clutch should engage smoothly. Alternately, if you're riding the motorcycle when you reach say 50-60 kmph put the bike on a higher gear (5th or 6th) and try to roll the throttle wide open. The bike should accelerate linear as opposed to just revving. If there is unnecessary revving, then most likely the clutch is shot.

Seat
- Well, other than the obvious of not having ripped seats do check if you can use the keys provided to remove the seats (depends on the model of the motorcycle). Also, a good time to check if the factory manuals, tool-box are in place as most of the times they're stored under the seat. Recent bikes do have factory manuals in pdf, so shouldn't be a deal-breaker. Some good souls have scanned/cam scanned the manual and put it online for our consumption.
- If the seats are ripped you'll need to get it re-wrapped. Again not a big deal but the tear can grow over a period of time. So take into account the price of re-wrapping the seat. Also, rains can leave torn seats wet for days if not weeks.

Gas-Tank
- The obvious damage here would be to have a dent or two. The bigger issue would be to have rust inside the fuel tank. Over a period, this rust can affect the fuel system and cause clogs in the carbs, fuel pump etc. Open the fuel tank and use the torch/flashlight you bought with you to check for any loose sediments or rust. It's a bit difficult to say but put the motorcycle on centre-stand (if it has one) and rock it back and forth hoping to find something. Check the sides of the fuel cap and the surrounding area for rust. If there is rust, it has to be immediately worked on.
- Alternatively, you can also check if the interiors of the tank were re-coated. If the paint didn't cure properly, then there are chances of clogging fuel lines.
- To be honest, I have never come across rusted tank though it's possible. So consult a mechanic to find out more about this or check with Google, he knows.

Electricals and Battery
- Check if the battery terminals are clean or if they have any unwanted deposit, rust, corrosion, leak etc.
- Know what spec batteries came from the factor Volts, Amps etc. and cross verify just to be safe. If you have a multimeter you can also check what voltage is being returned. For eg, even though batteries are rated 12V, I have found that a fully charged battery returns a slightly higher value like 13V. If it is below 12V the bike might not start, and the battery might need to be charged on a battery tender or battery charger. An easier way to check the battery is to do a cold start and see if the motorcycle starts without hiccups. Like other things, a cold start is a test for the battery as well.
- While the motorcycle is running, turn the headlights on and set it on high and notice if there is any flickering. If the headlights are powered directly by the battery (which is the case for some motorcycles), even better. Flickering headlights can mean a faulty regulator/rectifier and sometimes point to a faulty stator as well. So these small symptoms cannot be discounted unless looked at by a mechanic.
- Check the wiring of the motorcycle. Nothing should be loose, out and about...most wirings come concealed since you don't want it to get wet in the rains or while washing.
- Check if the indicators, brake lights, horns, high and low beams work. If there is an engine kill switch, test if it works. Instrument cluster, neutral led on the cluster etc also works

Suspension
- Suspensions and wheels take a good beating on any vehicle in India. Thanks to the potholes on the roads. In the crash section, I have mentioned a bit about forks. The first thing you can check for is leaks. Changing the fork seal is not necessarily a complicated job but again, all the small things add up. While you're at it, you can also check the bearings. If the motorcycle has a centre stand, have a friend sit on the passenger side so that front wheels are free. Rotate the handle from right to left, it should move freely without any resistance. Also while at it, rotate the tires and depress the front brakes slightly. There should be no vibration or the rotors are due for replacement.
- Push the forks down hard a couple of times. Some resistance is fine. Most commuter motorcycles in India have their fork legs covered which is a good thing to protect from stone chips. But if not check for smoothness. It should be smooth and shouldn't have any sort of pitting and chipping. Guess I have mentioned this above as well. Also while you push it down a couple of times, wipe it with a rag and do this exercise again. If there is oil residue on the fork then it's probably the seals.
- While on the centre-stand, ask your friend to move to the front to free up the rear wheel and check swingarm bearings. Personally, I have not done this so you're better off watching a YouTube video of how to do it. You should be checking of any sounds while rotating the rear wheel (gear in neutral), also by checking the axle for looseness.
- Also check the springs for any squeak. Usually, for older motorcycles, if left in rain there are chances of it rusting. Hydraulics shocks might need oil replacement. Try to get the bike's owners manual online and skim through it for all these details.

Brakes
- Brakes should have been right underneath the tyre's section but better late than never. Move the motorcycle forward, then pull the front brake lever in. The bike should stop immediately with a click sound (which is normal). Then let go of the brake lever and see if there is any resistance. There shouldn't be. Do the same exercise for the rear brakes.
- If your motorcycle has front and rear discs, check how much brake pads are left. Not expensive but could save you some money. Check the thickness of the rotors and general condition. I believe there is a tolerance for rotor thickness and varies depending on the size of the rotor. Have a look on the internet or your owners manual.
- If you have drum brakes on the rear, put the bike on the centre stand and rotate the rear tires freely. Gently push the rear brake and see if there are any sounds or squeaks. Ideally, it shouldn't have any unusual loud squeaks. The guide that I posted above mentions that a drum brake has a wear indicator but personally I don't know about it. I have owned a motorcycle with a drum brake at the rear and I used to tighten the nuts on the adjuster rod. Also, that would give me an indication of how much life was left in them. Check out the internet for more details.

Chain-Sproket
- Inspect the chain for its condition. How do the rollers inside the links look? They should look clean.
- Have your friend sit on the motorcycle on the centre-stand and check the lower loop of the chain. It should have anywhere between 1/2 inch to 1 inch slack (but it's generally adjusted to the rider's weight). Use a ruler and set it beside the lower loop and move the lower loop up and see how much it moves. Overtight chains wear out quickly.
- Hold the end of the chain from the rear and move it front and back. If it moves enough to expose a quarter or half of a sprocket tooth then you need a new chain. At the same time, move the upper loop side to side, a slight movement is fine (say half an inch or less) but not more.
- Fun fact: you got to always change the chain in 3 pieces - chain, front sprocket and rear sprocket. Always!
- A lot of material about chain and chain maintenance online, I would suggest you check some out on the Internet but the above are the basic things you need to know.

Exhaust
- The main thing with the exhaust is to check if is rusted and to ensure it's surface rust (which is still okay) and not advanced rust.
- Many motorcycle owners prefer to change the exhaust to an aftermarket one. I personally don't mind this as original ones are heavier and don't usually sound as good as the aftermarket ones. If there are multiple exhaust pipes (usually two?), ensure that both are working. This can be done by keeping your hand or a sheet of paper about 2 feet away from the pipes and feeling the pressure from each pipe - should roughly be the same. The guide mentions against holding hands behind a tailpipe for safety reason, but I'd just ensure that the bike is cold and no throttle is applied while I do this exercise. If it's an aftermarket exhaust, definitely be cautious and don't bother using your hands to do this test.
- Also, another thing to look out for is exhaust leaks. Usually, you can smell exhaust gases from the manifold in case of an exhaust leak. Main causes of an exhaust leak are due to loose bolts, faulty gaskets. Anything other than these two is going to hurt your pockets a bit harder.

Mods
- Not all mods are bad. If you always wanted an aftermarket exhaust and if the owner has installed Akropovic or Yoshimura exhaust then it does save you some costs right there. The only thing would be to ensure in such case is if the ECU map was updated accordingly.
- Also, if you have done some research into the model and their common issues, you'll come to know of the faulty parts that need to be replaced. For eg., a first-gen SV650 has rectifier/regulator issues and you can check if the owner (or any previous owners) have replaced it. Another example would be for a CBR600F4i's had cam chain tensioners that would make whining noise and the solution was to replace the automatic cam chain tensioners with manual ones.
- By the rule of thumb, I stay away from motorcycles that are extensively modded. A lot of LED lights, a lot of stickering works, wacky paint job etc are a no for me.

During the first cold start
- Touch the engine cover or exhaust to ensure it's cold (with caution). If it's not cold, question the owner on why.
- You should ensure that the motorcycle starts without any issues or sounds. Pay close attention to any knocking sounds or any hiccups while the engine starts. Normally, some motorcycle starts only after two or three tries. Also, if it's a kick-starter, then it might take a couple of tries to bring the engine to life.
- Before you blip/rev the throttle up, go to the exhaust side and inspect the exhaust gases. A cold engine will have white exhaust gas coming out until the engine warms up but it would turn invisible post that. If it's blue smoke, it better be a 2-stroke or it must have a blown piston ring and the motorcycle is burning oil. White smoke when the engine is hot indicates coolant leak in the cylinder (if your motorcycle has a radiator).
- Check the idle rpm (normally is around 1200-1500 rpm or a bit more depending on your motorcycle)
- Some people bring a small dia hollow wooden pipe to hear the noise from each cylinder and ensure all the cylinders are firing. Some people stick a flat head screwdriver on the exhaust manifold (if you can access it) to do the same check. The guide has mentions of a wet paper towel method. It's a risky inspection and I'd leave it to you to do it if you feel like it.
- Once the motorcycle warms up, rev the engine a bit (don't redline it but a little twist) and see if there is anything unusual.
- Put it on a centre stand and check the oil level. You usually don't notice anything further using a dip-stick or looking at it from the sight glass. If there are white streaks (water in the oil) or if there are metal particles (engine or transmission grinding) can only be confirmed upon an oil change. Usually, this is where a good mechanic would help. Ask the owner when was the last oil change.
- If the owner allows, take the motorcycle for a test ride and see how it feels. Any hesitation or stumbling in the acceleration - carburetion problem maybe? if it's FI bike then maybe throttle body cleaning is required? check for brakes, suspensions, alignment and see how you feel overall!
- Finally, once you're back from the test ride next step is to ask the owner for any questions you may have. See the quizzing section of the guide I posted. By now, you have a good understanding of the bike and now would be a good time to review the service records. Some people go through them first before even touching the motorcycle. It's up to you.

I think based on the guide, I have covered most of the sections that are relevant. If you feel something missing, you can post them.

Some people prefer making a checklist and taking it for the inspection, some people just go by themselves and believe in their gut feeling, and some others don't buy stuff of private sellers but only from dealerships. There is no right or wrong but even if you're buying from a dealer I would still run some of these checks (unless it's a brand new motorcycle). Patience is the key, wait for the right motorcycle to come. There are deals to be had - just keep monitoring the classifieds. Finally, motorcycles are fun and so should be buying a motorcycle. There is nothing that cannot be repaired, but money spent on repair is the money that could have been used to make the motorcycle go faster or look better. So your aim should be to get the best bang for the buck within your budget. Thanks and ride safe!

Last edited by voyageur : 22nd November 2020 at 07:49.
voyageur is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 10:45   #4
BHPian

My recent personal experience:

So, while I was looking for a bike, the first bike I went and saw was - what I presume to be - a trap. The motorcycle despite looking good couldn't get to start, thanks to the seller for not having a battery. This was a 20-year-old motorcycle (and I was fine with that). But the seller knew I was coming to inspect, but he didn't bother to get a new battery/borrow one? To top it off, it was through a person that I knew which was also a sad part. Sometimes going through contacts can also be a trap unless you know whom you're dealing with. I heard their asking price and in my mind, I wouldn't even pay them half of what they asked. But more importantly, it was an inspiration for me to start this thread because some poor individual who is new to motorcycles may come and pick it up for twice of what that piece of metal is worth (unless the owner does something about it). The only two things that helped me here (other than my experience) is doing market research on the going value for those gen motorcycles and sticking to my plan that I should hear the cold start of the motorcycle. The moment seller dropped that he doesn't have a battery, it was a no go but the whole exercise was a good experience for me. I practised my inspection skills and like any other skill, it needs some practice. Some of my other findings were that the tires were 2015 make, the bike was ridden only a handful of times from 2016 - which means a whole lot of issues might crop up if I buy it like a rusted tank, bad fuel system, bad brake system etc. The good bits were that it came with an extra set of fairings, brake pads and frame sliders. The seller was giving away front and rear paddock stands, bike cover and some other consumables as well. So in short, I got to analyze if it was worth it or not and it was definitely a no go for me.

There are plenty of motorcycles out there and if the owner hasn't communicated already that the motorcycle doesn't start, it's a sign. Long story short: never feel pressurized to buy the first motorcycle you see or any motorcycle you check out. If you got to go back and think about it, do it. Even if it's an RD350, something or the other will pop up. If the owner communicates that the battery is dead which he isn't willing to replace, and if you love the motorcycle - borrow a battery or buy one to ensure that the owners claim is right. You can sell the battery later on. Don't buy a bike that doesn't start unless you personally know the owner (whom you can hold accountable) or your expectation is a parts bike.

I feel like a hypocrite for writing the above long post. I didn't (don't) follow many things that I mentioned above even though I should. I have burnt my hands terribly in the past buying a used vehicle (my first car) because of my sheer stupidity and have learnt a lesson or two from that. But still, I have a long way to go. I'm the kind of person who gets excited to see a motorcycle and all the plans and checklists go out of the window. Now, I don't (try not to) go to check out a motorcycle by myself. I either have a knowledgeable friend or a good mechanic who accompanies me and it is something that I highly recommend. Always do a pre-purchase inspection at a garage or by a mechanic if you're happy with what you see and feel.

Other things I do while buying the bike:

- I try to approach buying a bit differently now. I actually take time to understand the owner and how he/she used the motorcycle. I don't prefer carrying checklists but talking to the owner for 5-10 mins gives me an understanding of what kind of ownership the motorcycle had. The only time this doesn't work is when the owner is flipping the motorcycle after just a couple of months. He or she might not know in detail about the motorcycle and it's past. Especially at such times, having the bike looked at by a professional (a pre-purchase inspection) is your best bet.

- Using social media effectively: Most owners post their ride onboard footage on Instagram or FB. If you have an account, and if any of the pics of the bike reveal the owner's social media accounts, use it to find what kind of rider he or she was. By no means am I asking you to stalk the individual but use this tool to help your purchase. I have a couple of personal examples myself: one of the sellers sent me a pic of his bike that had his social media account and it took me 2 videos to realize that bike was not something I'd like to own. Another one: on FB marketplace, I saw a motorcycle and checked out the owner's page. Promptly saw a km long wheelie and decided against messaging that person. The first example I mentioned above, the guy tried to sell me the bike saying that it goes fast and is really faster than the other models of the same year. It hits 200 easily and I realized, the guy must have revved the nuts out of the engine.

- Always respect sellers who have taken time to care for their bikes. Don't lowball them for half the asking price as most likely they will not agree to it. I wouldn't mind paying a 100 bucks more to someone who has taken great effort to maintain his/her motorcycle. Your aim should always be to pay a fair price, not more and buying second hand is always about good negotiations but be reasonable in your negotiations (that's just my viewpoint).

- Buying at a dealer second-hand (though I wouldn't do it) isn't really a bad idea if you're okay paying that extra 30%. Dealerships would be concerned about their reputation, unlike private sellers. Google reviews, forums etc can get people reviewing their products and in the long run, it's safer for them to sell a motorcycle in good condition than get a bad review. I'm not sure if that's the case in India. But be warned that they will do only the bare minimum (i.e, if they can't skimp on that). You also have to read through their fine print and ask every little thing you need to before buying. And still, they will find a way to rip you off. I find all that a hassle, instead I'll take the 30% money that I saved from a private sale and have stuff that needs attention done by a good mechanic.

Don't think I have anything more to add to this. I hope this thread benefits you in some way. Cheers!

Last edited by voyageur : 22nd November 2020 at 08:23.
voyageur is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 06:36   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Guide: Buying Used Motorcycles

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line (The "Assembly Line" Forum section) to the Motorcycle Section. Thanks for sharing!

Going to our homepage today
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 10:02   #6
BHPian

Great work to sum up pretty much everything. Being a biker myself and having gone through selling and buying process of bikes for quite a while, I can relate to most of this.

Full points for the effort and information collected. Thanks much for sharing.

Last edited by amods : 23rd November 2020 at 10:13.
amods is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 13:17   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyageur View Post
To the main part now

T- Tires and wheels
C- Controls (clutch, throttle, cables, fuel lines etc)
L- Lights and Electricals
O- Oil and Fluids
C- Chassis/Frame, suspension, chain sprocket etc
K- Kickstand/Centre-stand
Super informative thread. I additionally check for a few more things when I evaluate a motorcycle for friends -
1. Spark plug mount treads - an impatient mechanic might have tightened the spark plug without matching the tread lines on the plug resulting in treads on the block getting damaged. A friend had learnt this the harder way on a P220

2. Rattles in fibre parts - can be easily detected by mildly racing while stationary or during a short ride

3. Spoke wheels - are they aligned well, and tight enough

4. Disk surface - for any uneven wear
Zinda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 17:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

Wonderfully put, and an exhaustive list. Appreciate you taking the time to type it all out. A couple of things I would add is to cross check the engine number and the chassis especially when one is intending to purchase bikes older than 15 years. Apart from the thorough checklist stated above, cross checking the chassis number and the engine number saves us getting into soup with RTO when getting readied for fitness as such.

If a bike has lapsed insurance, lapsed tax or basically any papers that hasn't been updated, it's the buyer's responsibility to either deduce the amount from the final price of the bike or get them readied prior to being delivered to a prospective buyer.

Subbed!

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 20:09   #9
BHPian

This is amazingly informative!
I come from a family who distances themselves from used vehicles. But I’m a sucker for one. Post seeing soo many pre worshipped cars and bikes being owned by fellow BHPians, I hope my next ride/drive would be pre worshipped one!

Thank you
Voyageur
BikeDevil44 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 20:12   #10
BHPian

Very well documented. Thanks!

The whole experience of buying a used bike hinges on the purpose and the amount of money that can be spend. While I do not have experience of buying a used bike in the West - I have bought my RX135 used with the sole reason of restoring. FOrtunately the seller was a colleague with clean papers. The Splendor was purely a beater bike, completely inconspicuous and good for the one off commute. Clean papers again and a solidly built bike.
mmxylorider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 06:29   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
Wonderfully put, and an exhaustive list. Appreciate you taking the time to type it all out. A couple of things I would add is to cross check the engine number and the chassis especially when one is intending to purchase bikes older than 15 years. Apart from the thorough checklist stated above, cross checking the chassis number and the engine number saves us getting into soup with RTO when getting readied for fitness as such.

If a bike has lapsed insurance, lapsed tax or basically any papers that hasn't been updated, it's the buyer's responsibility to either deduce the amount from the final price of the bike or get them readied prior to being delivered to a prospective buyer.

Subbed!

Cheers!
VJ
Hi VJ, +1.

Thanks for adding. I don't know how I missed this one out. I would actually start the inspection with this to ensure the bike isn't a stolen one and as you mentioned, to avoid registration complications.
Old 24th November 2020, 08:40   #12
BHPian

Very informative thread.
I would request if some knowledgeable BHPian posts some information on buying old used bikes like the Cast Iron RE bullets and the knowledge required therein - both in terms of what all to check as well as the documentation part as these classics are becoming more and more difficult to maintain legally.
Old 9th July 2021, 16:08   #13
BHPian

Is there a spinny equivalent for Motorcycles?
Old 12th July 2021, 13:03   #14

Great thread. I want a little help on this ad I found on OLX recently. Does this look like a legit deal? Because I talked to the person who posted the ad and said that the owner is his relative and is an NRI, so he rarely rode the motorcycle.
https://www.olx.in/item/daytona-triu...iid-1644157895
Old 12th July 2021, 23:55   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarunmishra View Post
Great thread. I want a little help on this ad I found on OLX recently. Does this look like a legit deal? Because I talked to the person who posted the ad and said that the owner is his relative and is an NRI, so he rarely rode the motorcycle.
If this bike has a genuine 2,000 odd kilometers, then it probably is one of a kind in India. That said, if it is an NRI owner, check if the bike has been serviced on time every year at the Triumph SVC. If not, walk away. If it has been and they confirm the odometer readings at each service, then proceed further with your due diligence. Ive been hearing of some cases of tampered odometers on Triumphs recently.

Daytona owners have been asking for ridiculous prices in 2021. Its almost like they have invested in real estate and hence, the asking price can only go up, year on year. Its become a joke in the superbike market.

Assuming some services have been done and considering the fact that this is a 5 year old bike, you will have a lot of expenses coming your way on day 1. All fluids will need to be replaced, including brake fluids, coolant etc. You will definitely need new tires (Rs 45K easily in todays market). Brake pads, cone set etc need to be checked. There is no mention of any protectors in the ad. You will need them. All these things will add up to a lot of money. Even if you get the bike for Rs 8L, you are probably looking at another Rs 1L of expenses to get it back to top shape while adding some bits and bobs. On a discontinued bike.

For that money, I would forget the Daytona and just wait for well maintained and much newer Kawasaki ZX6R to come up in the preowned market.

Last edited by neil.jericho : 12th July 2021 at 23:56.
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks