Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2020, 15:12   #31
BHPian

Re: Which Cruiser Motorcycle for my 55-year old dad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Based on the number of suggestions here, his dad will be test riding bikes for the next 1000 Kms over the next 2-3 months, around his day job.

Cheers, Doc
I guess he値l have to switch to part time ophthalmology practise
SID2997 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 15:14   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SID2997 View Post
I guess he値l have to switch to part time ophthalmology practise
All dads are the same man. Including me.

You can do all the research you want.

Ultimately he will turn everything on its head and decide he likes something and then entire Team BHP and its gyaan will take second place.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 15:21   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
I can share my experience. I am 54 and right now ride a scooter, Suzuki Access for errands.

Earlier I had Bajaj 220 Avenger which I sold due to backpain problem as the sitting position was of cruiser style. As BHPian Aaegee suggested in his earlier post, laid back sitting stance with forward pegs, aggravates this issue. So, if one is having problem with back, it is better to avoid cruiser style motorbike.

Following that, I bought RE Himalyan. The bike is excellent for tall rider, good neutral sitting position, rides well and powerful enough for highway cruising. But I sold that too due to

Not practical for everyday use.
Heavy, tall bike, requires effort to manoeuvre.
Spoke wheel, a puncture in remote place, will put in big trouble.

I also experienced my friend KTM Duke 200 for few days, that bike was a hooligan, very aggresive sitting position, more suited to young folks!

Now from your Dad's requirement who is of my age only, I am inclined to recommend only one bike, that is Honda CB 350. The reasons are.

Classic Retro Style - fit for any age.
Jap Mobike - very reliable.
Neutral sitting position.
Easier to handle (information from you tube reviewers only).
Asking price is comfortable.
Brand Honda.

Happy and safe riding !
Yeah totally agree with your take on the RE Himalayan, even one of my friend who owns the Himalayan echoes the same views. The advantage with the Honda CB350 is that it shall satiate my occasional ride cravings as well

Last edited by SID2997 : 26th November 2020 at 15:21. Reason: Error
Old 26th November 2020, 15:27   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by buntee90 View Post
A RE Thunderbird 500 would have been perfect. It has character, its ultra comfortable and easy on the back too, although reliability is not its forte. Too bad its discontinued. Maybe look for a pre-owned one ?

Further RE Meteor could also be a good choice, going by the reviews on internet, its very smooth and tractable motor, good roll-on times. Going by the 650 twins it should be fairly reliable too.

Man your dad is in a enviable position! rode a RX100 in college, now going for a cruiser in his 50s.

Interceptor 650 seems to be in popular opinion over here. Yes, he has seen the era of purist motorcycles and now shall experience the era of comfort and modern electronic aids as well
Old 26th November 2020, 15:29   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
SID2997, the Tiger 800 with its high center of gravity may not be a good option for your dad considering the height factor, decades away from riding and age.

Logically, go for something light (around 200 kg or less) with say A2 level power at most. I think the Honda CB350, RE Meteor and RE Interceptor, in no particular order, make a lot of sense for your dad to get back to biking at this stage. If your dad enjoys the biking experience and will keep riding, you can think of an upgrade to say a Street Twin or a Bonnie in a year or two.
Yes, weight may act as a deterrent or a buzz-kill to someone making a comeback. The induction needs to be slow.
Old 26th November 2020, 15:30   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Interceptor 650 seems to be in popular opinion over here. Yes, he has seen the era of purist motorcycles and now shall experience the era of comfort and modern electronic aids as well
If you do not want to irritate and annoy your busy senior doctor dad, do not gift him a Royal Enfield.

You want him to ride I thought? Royal Enfields are for guys with time and patience and a latent sadomasochistic streak. Preferably in their 30s.

In your 40s you are making the big moves in your career.

Difficult to do that from the Bullet workshop.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 15:33   #37
BHPian

Quote:
If you do not want to irritate and annoy your busy senior doctor dad, do not gift him a Royal Enfield.

You want him to ride I thought? Royal Enfields are for guys with time and patience and a latent sadomasochistic streak. Preferably in their 30s.

Cheers, Doc
Jewels of experience coming from the Doc. On a serious note, will take this into consideration
Old 26th November 2020, 15:33   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Fellow Bhpians, We are looking to buy a cruiser motorcycle for my 55 year old dad, he used to ride a RX100 in his college days. Seeing his friends ride bikes, his passion has been reignited. He wants something with a laid back riding position, at least 300cc and no fuss in terms of maintainability. He shall be using this bike for weekend rides in vicinity of NCR. Also, The ride quality needs to be easy on the back as he suffers from slipped disc. Our budget is upto 4 lakhs. Any suggestions guys?
So coming from a person with a dodgy back, I can tell you that contrary to public opinion, there is a ton of science nowadays to show that a straight-up cruiser posture isn't really the greatest posture for a bad back. The vertebrae line up and all impacts are sent straight up your spine. A slight bent forward posture allows the spine to be flexed and shock is absorbed much better. I'm not saying it has to be super aggressive but the RE cruiser style is really not ideal. Plus, weight.

Honda's are great. No question. Just buy and ride and forget. The CBR is probably a better bet than the HNess. But the CB300 also might just suit him, particularly if he's an old RX fan. Its supposed to have plenty of character. Depending on his height, the posture may also work for him.

Having said all of which, I think you should certainly look at the KTM 390 Adv. Its more upright than the Dukes and the RCs, better suspension and tuned differently for excellent cruising ability and less street insanity. You can even add a few KTM upgrades. Might suit him well.

Good luck
RT13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 15:41   #39
BHPian

I am really over-joyed by the response from seniors and new members alike. This really makes me feel proud of being a part of the team-bhp family (my first real and meaningful thread on this forum). The seniors have taken time to give out real jewels that come straight from the heart. I shall be posting and bouncing off more ideas from this thread after I have shown this thread to my Dad (he doesn’t know about it yet).

Also, once we lock in onto a choice and get the machine home (planning to do so in a months time), sharing the ownership experience with everyone shall be a really special experience for us.
Old 26th November 2020, 15:46   #40
BHPian

Quote:

Cheers, Doc
This!

Couldn't agree more. Having said which, if the model in question is a few years old and gone through at least one product update cycle, you could consider it.

A case in point is the new BS6 Himalayan which is V3. The V2 tried to address most of the shitty things about the bike (including suspension which rusted and fell apart) and the V3 is supposed to be relatively refined. May be worth a look.

I'd definitely stay away from the 650 Twins. Great engines, sweet package at the prices but thousands of the usual RE QC questions, not the least of which is that infamous wobble that kicks in at 80+. And the worst part is that different people have had different fixes for it - everything from tyre swaps to wheel balancing to fork adjustment to head tube bearing changes. So its not just a single cause. Lots of people haven't been able to solve it either. I've been sorely tempted by it but will stay away until at least V2 for sure.

KTM ADV - definitely check it out.
RT13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 15:58   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT13 View Post
This!

Couldn't agree more. Having said which, if the model in question is a few years old and gone through at least one product update cycle, you could consider it.

A case in point is the new BS6 Himalayan which is V3. The V2 tried to address most of the shitty things about the bike (including suspension which rusted and fell apart) and the V3 is supposed to be relatively refined. May be worth a look.

I'd definitely stay away from the 650 Twins. Great engines, sweet package at the prices but thousands of the usual RE QC questions, not the least of which is that infamous wobble that kicks in at 80+. And the worst part is that different people have had different fixes for it - everything from tyre swaps to wheel balancing to fork adjustment to head tube bearing changes. So its not just a single cause. Lots of people haven't been able to solve it either. I've been sorely tempted by it but will stay away until at least V2 for sure.

KTM ADV - definitely check it out.
+1 @RT13 and @ebonho13, don稚 want to deter someone with a professional life from taking this plunge by subjecting them to these qualms related to the REs. The KTM ADV is a great contemporary and fun to hang out with option, however as mentioned before rider height issues need to be checked for at first.
Old 26th November 2020, 19:06   #42
BHPian

After reading your requirements following bikes came to mind:

1. Honda H地ess CB350: Meets all your requirements. Your dad must be ok with weight as his muscle memory might be of RX100.

2. Jawa: This will meet the requirements with lighter weight than H地ess. But the known issues of availability, service and durability may linger on your mind.
Old 26th November 2020, 19:35   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapnil.awate View Post
After reading your requirements following bikes came to mind:

1. Honda H地ess CB350: Meets all your requirements. Your dad must be ok with weight as his muscle memory might be of RX100.

2. Jawa: This will meet the requirements with lighter weight than H地ess. But the known issues of availability, service and durability may linger on your mind.
Though the Jawa has its own nostalgic charm, however the H地ess over the Jawa for its fill it and forget it convenience.
Old 26th November 2020, 20:52   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

A few years back when my friend wanted to gift his father a Bike for some long joy rides (they already had an RX100) , there really were two brands in contention - Enfield & Jawa, that is what they knew back in their days, that is what they associate a bike with.

He eventually bought a Thunderbird 350X in red.(I dont think Jawa was available at that time). I guess Meteor would be the current choice from the RE side.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 20:56   #45
BHPian

How many cruiser bikes do we see in urban cities? Almost nil. Reason: they are cumbersome to manoeuvre in the maddening city crowd.

Honda CB 350, surprisingly very nimble. Hence it is suitable for the city and also as a cruiser on the highway. Your father will love it.
IP_Man is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ゥ2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks