Team-BHP > Motorbikes

View Poll Results: What should I do?
Proceed with current booking 16 18.82%
Postpone 69 81.18%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2021, 11:15   #16
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan BS6 booking - Proceed or postpone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelabreo227 View Post
Information is sparse, and everyone seems to be reading of a singular, unidentified source, but word on the webs is that the new model will largely be the same save for three (four) minor changes:
  1. A built-in USB socket
  2. The addition of the Tripper digital navigation system, a la Meteor 350
  3. New colour options
  4. (?) A "smoother"/"more refined" engine, with unchanged power/torque figures. Whatever that means.

All this for a modest price hike, around 5k INR.
Please don't get carried away by these "updates" which are rumoured to come in.
USB socket - can be easily connected without cutting any wires or voiding warranty.

Tripper Navigation - Will show only turn by turn navigation, which is not going to be enough when you're in an unknown city. One can easily mount the phone on a holder or just keep in the transparent pocket on one's tank bag.

New colours - Subjective.

"Refinement/smoothness" - Again word play manufacturers use while launching a facelift.

I wouldn't wait to get my motorcycle just for these "updates"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
The "spy-shots" in the gaadiwaadi link suggest that the tacho will be replaced by the Trippr ? I doubt it, ADVs aren't our regular commuters where the tacho won't be missed. If RE does it there will be an immediate backlash and I think they're smart enough to not go in that direction(remember they had to add switchable ABS in BS6). Its a good feature but I don't think it can come at the cost of a tacho.

Also the image shown in that gaadiwadi link seems doctored. Look at the trippr console you can see the tacho backlights under it. A poor image edit. Also most likely they used a BS4 console as BS6 consoles have white backlighting(except some due to part shortages).

See for yourself ignoring my even poorer MS Paint skills (the image itself seems to be lifted from a TBHP thread here (Royal Enfield Himalayan ABS - One year of blissful ownership!)):

Actual image is this
Thanks pal, for pointing this out! That is my very motorcycle, and the image is stolen from my TeamBHP ownership review!! She's a 2018 BS 4 ABS model.

This again just points to the worthless nature of the clickbait articles these third rate so called automotive websites publish.

Last edited by Geo_Ipe : 2nd January 2021 at 11:17.
Geo_Ipe is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 13:16   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.G View Post
what are the odds that rushlane reports are true ?
I'd think they are 50% true at best. Someone at Rushlane (+ other publications too) made an educated guess based on some flaky information or an analysis similar to mine. Or they just made everything up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Please don't get carried away by these "updates" which are rumoured to come in. ... This again just points to the worthless nature of the clickbait articles these third rate so called automotive websites publish.
I also noticed the badly doctored image (thanks for writing your post and its a bummer they ripped your image off for such an article).

Look, I understand these are worthless posts designed to attract clicks. That's why I called them 💩 tier in my original post. It's why I didn't take them for face value and did my own research with secondary sources. That's also why I felt the need to open this discussion thread so people who are less informed find this thread on Google and are armed with more perspective.

You make a fair point but I still think its a good idea to have a little patience. I'm in no hurry, and it seems almost irresponsible not to wait, given what the research data show. Worst case, RE doesn't release anything, and I've deprived yourself of 1-3 months of riding. Best case, I get new toys to play with, backed with OEM warranty.

I know they're minor, but from the original post, "Why should I put 2.5 lac of my hard earned money into a product that is potentially on the verge of being improved, even if marginally so?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Keep your booking but wait for the 2021 model, credible information exists that the new model is going through testing and will launch pretty soon
Please do share. Unless you have "birdies"
joelabreo227 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 14:54   #18

Well, there's already a lot of in depth analysis done here.
Would like to add my 2 cents of info here.
While a lower capacity Himalayan was rumoured earlier, it was definitely a rumour!
There's no such development, not atleast till 2023.
Source of my info? A parts supplier of RE.
i@M.S.K is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 14:57   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Thanks pal, for pointing this out! That is my very motorcycle, and the image is stolen from my TeamBHP ownership review!! She's a 2018 BS 4 ABS model.

This again just points to the worthless nature of the clickbait articles these third rate so called automotive websites publish.
I saw that, forgot to PM you, did raise a complaint to our support though.

Have ridden the BS4 Himalayan for 2500kms over all road conditions except snow, was impressed, it's the first RE I felt in sync with. A place is always there for the higher Himalayan.

Honestly I hadn't expected this level of stooping by gaadiwaadi, will not bother with them again. I thought this was the forte of social media platforms but we know better now
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 16:42   #20
BHPian

Genuinely curious about why you’d dismiss the KTM 250 ADV out of hand, other than the price difference. WP suspension, switchable ABS and more power on tap at lower weight. Don’t see the downside and certainly far from ‘meh-worthy’ unless you’re a diehard RE brand guy (which if you were, the Himalayan would not be the first model you’d be looking at, or even the third).

On a separate note, and at the risk of triggering RE fans, electricals and technology integration are probably RE’s biggest shortcomings. I personally would never ever buy any RE model which was introducing new gizmos or tech for the first time. They have all been painful transitions going all the way back the Classic’s dodgy ECUs to the more recent 650 twins and their software patches. The Himalayan, now in it’s third avatar is sorted mechanically and I’d just take that for peace of mind.

But that’s just me.

Last edited by RT13 : 2nd January 2021 at 16:43.
RT13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 19:52   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT13 View Post
Genuinely curious about why you’d dismiss the KTM 250 ADV out of hand, other than the price difference. WP suspension, switchable ABS and more power on tap at lower weight.
I don't think any RE fanboys will buy the Himalayan, its a purpose build motorcycle without any of the "Bullet" characteristics(thankfully).

The biggest difference between the Himalayan and KTM 250/390 ADVs is the nature of power/torque delivery.
Himalayan's low rpm performance is better suited off road. On surfaces with loose traction like slush, the long-stroke engine shines while not being sluggish like the UCE.
The LS410 was purpose build for the Himalayan which was purpose-built for off road. But KTM has just used the same frantic engine from the Dukes into the Advs so while they seem to be off roaders but what they excel in is blasting through the tarmac at high RPMs and speed.
Himalayan has a more laid back attitude which helps average riders like me enjoy the off road better.

For example when I was going through slush/slippery rocks/no roads most of the time the Himalayan was happily chugging along under 3000rpm to avoid spinning out. KTMs would need to be revved higher and the chances of spinning out are quite high. Also the 21 inchers on the Himalayan are quite helpful in going over fallen trees.

Even today if I want to buy a bike capable of handling everything our roads and countryside could throw at us, its the Himalayan BS6.
That being said, definitely the Himalayan(and me) could gain some muscle and lose some weight, that should be the new year resolution.
I am on it, hope RE is too

Last edited by shancz : 2nd January 2021 at 19:55. Reason: formatting
shancz is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 20:23   #22
Senior - BHPian

To patch the wound or not, depends on the severity.
RE has stated that it will launch more than 20+ motorcycles in the coming years. Taking that into equation and with a pinch of salt, the new models will carry comparatively premium prices. I would recommend you do some soul searching as to what you really require right now considering the chronograph of logs you've maintained, full marks there.

Start off with these questions.

1. Is the wait really worth the wait.
2. Am I getting what's really tangible here, rather than just a minor update.
3. Am I willing to pay and wait a little extra for something that won't be a dramatic game changer.
4. Priority

If you can't say an yes -- to any of the three questions, it's not worth waiting.

Good luck.

Cheers!
VJ
Old 2nd January 2021, 20:57   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Himalayan's low rpm performance is better suited off road. On surfaces with loose traction like slush, the long-stroke engine shines while not being sluggish like the UCE.
The LS410 was purpose build for the Himalayan which was purpose-built for off road.

But KTM has just used the same frantic engine from the Dukes into the Advs so while they seem to be off roaders but what they excel in is blasting through the tarmac at high RPMs and speed
If you read my post you’d note that I too mentioned that the Himalayan wouldn’t be the first or even the third RE of choice for any true fanboi Having said which I know a number of RE fanbois who keep it as their second or third ride for when the occasion demands.

On the rest, yes and no. While the LS410 was built for the Himalayan (and it being ‘purpose built for off-road’ is somewhat debatable considering a number of things but I’ll accept it was positioned as such), the Duke engine hasn’t just been plonked onto a different frame. It has been tuned differently for the ADV and has less of that frantic quality and a more linear nature, albeit different from the Himalayan obviously. While the 390 indeed does need a more skilled hand off-road, I’d imagine the reduced power of the 250, compared to the 390, would make it more friendly.

For what it’s worth, the ADVs are used and loved by my buddy who’s an instructor and head of CS Santosh’s Big Rock so it’s chops are unquestionable. They do also house the RE Slide School with the customised Himalayans for flat track and also are intimately familiar with the regular Himalayan (Santosh was instrumental in its development and testing). But he absolutely loves the KTM (the larger 390 anyway) and uses it as his personal vehicle most of the time. It is unquestionably a better trail bike imo although I take your point about the skill of the rider.

Personal preference is fine but my question to the OP was why he dismissed the 250 out of hand. Just curious is all.

Last edited by RT13 : 2nd January 2021 at 21:03.
RT13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 21:10   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On the rest, yes and no.
For what it’s worth, the ADVs are used and loved by my buddy who’s an instructor and head of CS Santosh’s Big Rock so it’s chops are unquestionable.
Personal preference is fine but my question to the OP was why he dismissed the 250 out of hand. Just curious is all.
Apologies, I should have worded it better, just wanted to highlight the difference between the two when it comes to off road.
Cool, had seen CS Santosh's interview on the Himalayan and if I can recall correctly the XPulse too. Big Rock is effectively the validation ground for off-road bikes. Skilled riders will choose the lighter and more powerful KTM, if I get it I will most likely spin out.
Apologies for jumping in on this, will let the OP answer

Last edited by shancz : 2nd January 2021 at 21:20.
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 22:00   #25

As a mostly happy owner of a BS4 Himalayan (15xxx km over all sorts of terrain), I've always felt that my Himmy needed more power (read plonking in that sweet 650 cc engine RE has), switchable ABS and tubeless tires. The current iteration has the ABS, tubeless tires may too expensive for what the bike's sold for, and like a lot of people have mentioned, there's not going to be a 650 cc version of the Himalayan for a long time to come, if ever.

If I were in the market, I'd get the current iteration eyes closed, a lot of the little niggles have now been ironed out. And trust me, the LS410 might not have the numbers on paper, but it's a wonderful engine in its own right Would never trade it for a lighter 350 cc engine, no matter what.
VinNam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 22:12   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Apologies, I should have worded it better, just wanted to highlight the difference between the two when it comes to off road.

Skilled riders will choose the lighter and more powerful KTM, if I get it I will most likely spin out.
Apologies for jumping in on this, will let the OP answer
Hey no apologies needed at all mate. It’s a message board and a forum - where’s the fun if people don’t chip in 🙂 Your perspective is appreciated. And listen, I’m anyway a bit of a Luddite myself, if my profile pic didn’t give it away.

Seriously though, give more powerful stuff a try and I’m sure you’ll have a blast. I don’t ride dirt bikes myself but I do ride advanced mountain bikes with long travel suspension and trust me when I say control is over-rated. Being on the edge with your adrenalin pumping is a feeling like nothing else. You may spin out but you’ll feel like a million bucks when you push it. It’s not about outcome when you get off road. It’s about doing crazy stuff and having fun even when you may not be good at it.

Cheers,
RT13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 09:44   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i@M.S.K View Post
Source of my info? A parts supplier of RE.
Bro, can you find out if an update to the Interceptor is in the works, I have to buy one within this FY, sitting on the fence as of now.
Old 4th January 2021, 20:07   #28

Quote:
Genuinely curious about why you’d dismiss the KTM 250 ADV out of hand, other than the price difference. WP suspension, switchable ABS and more power on tap at lower weight.
My friend has an ADV390 and I seriously considered it mainly because of the electronics safety equipment -- traction control, lean ABS -- and because it appeared to be a good all rounder. However, after riding it a fair bit, I figured that I don't enjoy high-revving engines with the meat of their power in the mid to high range. I like riding at what most people would call "slow" speeds, (80-90kmph), a gear down, and love to have linear torque on tap. Thus, while the ADV390 is undoubtedly a more capable bike, to me, it's not worth the 1.1 lac over the Himmy.**

Anyway, imagine my surprise when KTM released the ADV250 with an engine that was arguably on par with the Himmy (trades HP/high end for torque) with an arguably worse suspension setup (road biased v. softer), none of the electronics of the ADV390, and still expect people to pony up 3 lacs. No way that's worth it to me. Either charge 15-30k less or include the goodies. I can do like 3-4 road trips on my "inferior" Himmy with the money I save

I also am sort of an RE fan. Not enough to blindly give them my money, but enough to consider them even after hearing all the stories about them.

---
** It's also the reason I'm seriously considering an Interceptor, but that's a story for another day. I know they're different class of bikes, but they both are an upgrade for what I currently have and enable me to do things I want to do. I'd also love to know if someone who talks to "birdies" knows if/when the INT650 with alloys are going to be releasing.
joelabreo227 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 15:13   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post
Bro, can you find out if an update to the Interceptor is in the works, I have to buy one within this FY, sitting on the fence as of now.
Well bro, sorry, no updates on Interceptor. Me thinks, you should get off the fence and on its saddle.
i@M.S.K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 07:20   #30
Senior - BHPian

And the poll is right.
Hoping you have heard about it but the updated Himalayan with some improvements and Trippr seems to be coming this month.

Credits to the providers :
Motorbeam : Himalayan 2021 update

The spy shots make sense now, Trippr is a separate pod in the instrument cluster next to the tacho.

Regardless of what they say but the most important update here is the high density foam seat

Last edited by shancz : 23rd January 2021 at 07:35. Reason: updated info
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed