Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2023, 23:04   #91
BHPian

Re: Reyah, The Lady of Bavaria | BMW G 310 GS BS6 Ownership Review

Hello everyone.

Taking the opportunity and posting an update regarding the bike. Haven't ridden much, about 50kms so will post the initial impressions and observations for now. Please bear with me and my observations as this is my first two wheeler and I do not have much technical know how when it comes to motorcycles.

1. Seems to be a very comfortable bike all around. Riding posture, suspension settings, adjustable clutch and brake levers and the single stock seat all contribute to a very comfortable experience inside the city. Haven't taken the baby GS on the highways or dirt tracks yet, will update about the same once the running in has been completed.

2. No vibrations or rattles as such. Haven't felt any vibrations on the handlebar or the foot pegs though it gets a little vibey around the fuel tank. The build quality screams BMW and there are no rattles. I hope it stays the same after I take her on the trails.

3. Engine and gearbox combination is quite easy to live with and the bike does not feel underpowered at all. Though the 313 CC reverse-inclined engine is quite smooth, same can not be said about the gearbox. Shifts are a little clunky and finding neutral is a task in itself. Not a deal breaker but could have been better. Also, the electric starter takes a little longer ~ 1.5-2 seconds to crank the engine.

4. Looks. One word, gorgeous. One of the most beautiful looking bikes I have ever seen. Could give the bikes in the same range a run for their money. People do give a second glance on signals and in traffic. It is a new feeling for me and it will take some time to get used to.

5. Size. I love the huge size of this ADV and one fact that surprised me is that it is easily manageable in traffic despite the huge size. Being a SUV person all my life, the commanding position makes me feel at home.

6. Service interval of 1 year or 10k kms, whichever is earlier. That is car category. The maintenance might be on the higher side as mentioned in the reviews, but service interval of 1 year is a big plus.

7. Heat is managed well and it does not roast the legs of the rider like it happened with me on a friend's Interceptor 650. Quite different class of bikes, but it's the only bike I have ridden in the last 3 years till the time I brought GS home.

8. As the running in is still going on, I have kept the speeds below 60 and am riding sedately. Once the bike is run in, I will be able to comment better on the actual performance and fuel efficiency figures. I don't think that I will be able to complete 1k kms in a month but will still try to cover as much as I can.

9. The instrument cluster is decent and easy to read but misses out on essential information and Bluetooth connectivity. One of them being real time fuel efficiency and average fuel consumption per liter. The cluster does show fuel consumption in liters/100km but come on BMW, this ain't Europe.

10. All LED lights look good and function as intended. The lighting is good as per my requirements and do not warrant a upgrade. LED indicators and tail light look cool and I believe they last longer when compared to the halogen bulbs of other brands/motorcycles. Horn is not the best in the segment but one can still live with it without worrying much.

That is all for now. Will post further updates in this thread till the time I don't part with my laziness to write an ownership review and given that Nithin allows me to share here

Attaching a picture of the Baby GS from my afternoon ride (I know it's been way too much of text and no pictures so here is one for now. I sincerely apologize for the same. Will do a good photoshoot and post more)

A request to the mods- Please create a separate thread or merge my post to an existing thread if deemed necessary.

Cheers,
Akash
Attached Thumbnails
Reyah, The Lady of Bavaria | BMW G 310 GS BS6 Ownership Review-whatsapp-image-20230426-22.58.53.jpg  

Last edited by Akash_1806 : 26th April 2023 at 23:15. Reason: Spelling mistake
Akash_1806 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th April 2023, 08:00   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akash_1806 View Post
Taking the opportunity and posting an update regarding the bike. Haven't ridden much, about 50kms so will post the initial impressions and observations for now. Please bear with me and my observations as this is my first two wheeler and I do not have much technical know how when it comes to motorcycles.
Congratulations on your new purchase. A small correction to your ninth point will be that it is possible to view real time fuel efficiency, i will attach a picture of the same below. You have to get it set from your service centre. Regarding the clunky gearbox always keep you chain in the correct tension, it helps to a extent. Our motorcycle chain is slightly extended than normal due to the reversed inclined engine, which we cannot do anything about.
Attached Thumbnails
Reyah, The Lady of Bavaria | BMW G 310 GS BS6 Ownership Review-pxl_20230430_021454760.jpg  

Last edited by vb-saan : 30th April 2023 at 09:57. Reason: Please avoid quoting the full long post. Thank you!
Jaison is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 00:30   #93
BHPian

Gathering inspiration from yours as well as other quality ownership reviews available on the net, booked my Baby GS.
Attached Thumbnails
Reyah, The Lady of Bavaria | BMW G 310 GS BS6 Ownership Review-img_5727.jpeg  

Archie_27 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th May 2023, 19:17   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akash_1806 View Post
Hello everyone.

Taking the opportunity and posting an update regarding the bike.
Akash
Thanks for sharing Akash.
Well the built quality is top notch. So you should not face any rattles.

Regarding clunky gearshifs, it will smooth out a bit post first service. Also, keeping your chain lubed and tight (right tension) will help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaison View Post
Congratulations on your new purchase. A small correction to your ninth point will be that it is possible to view real time fuel efficiency, i will attach a picture of the same below. You have to get it set from your service centre. Regarding the clunky gearbox always keep you chain in the correct tension, it helps to a extent. Our motorcycle chain is slightly extended than normal due to the reversed inclined engine, which we cannot do anything about.
Well quite informative. I will get this done.
Thanks Jaison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie_27 View Post
Gathering inspiration from yours as well as other quality ownership reviews available on the net, booked my Baby GS.
Congratulations Archie.
Do share pics when you get hands on her.

Some updates from my side -

Reyah, The Lady of Bavaria | BMW G 310 GS BS6 Ownership Review-img_2198.jpg

And the monsoon begins

Reyah has been chugging along just fine since the last update. Did couple of highway rides where she held her fort at constant triple digit speeds for sustained time. But then i was really itching for a trail ride.

And boy o boy I got what I wished for.
Trail, rains, mud and slush. Had immense fun rushing through the sections while rain drops were trying to invade the rain and armor gears.

Quick before and after pic.
(By the time I reached washing bay I had dropped off atleast 50% of mud. So the actual scenario was quite different.)

Reyah, The Lady of Bavaria | BMW G 310 GS BS6 Ownership Review-img_20230507_190144.jpg

Last edited by nitinkbhaskar : 7th May 2023 at 19:25. Reason: Adding quotes
nitinkbhaskar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th June 2023, 16:48   #95
Team-BHP Support

Guys, have any of you purchased EW for the 310GS? My bike will complete three years by Feb next year, so the standard three-year warranty will expire. I want to get EW (and RSA); the ASC isn't aware if/how that's the possible.
Old 2nd March 2024, 23:01   #96
BHPian

Dear riders, with all the new bikes in town now, would you still suggest for someone (me) to go ahead with booking a 310 GS? I am upgrading from 200NS, which I have been riding for last 10 years. I found the bike to be extremely comfortable, though a bit on the higher side price wise (both initial and maintenance). With all this I am still inclined towards buying the bike as I intend to keep it for at least 7-9 years.

What would be your take with this bike in year 2024, costing ~4.3lacs vs other options like Himalayan and Scrambler 400X? (not exactly same category but doesn't matter, as my major riding would be on tar roads in city and at times i would be going through muddy roads)
Old 2nd March 2024, 23:23   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetFailure View Post
what would be your take with this bike in year 2024, costing ~4.3lacs vs other options like Himalayan and Scrambler 400X?
You like the bike accepting the price and maintenance. Just go ahead and get it since you have the budget. Don’t bother with other considerations and get confused. Hope to read about your delivery soon, all the best.

Cheers
Old 3rd March 2024, 11:13   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Dear riders, with all the new bikes in town now, would you still suggest for someone (me) to go ahead with booking a 310 GS? I am upgrading from 200NS, which I have been riding for last 10 years. I found the bike to be extremely comfortable, though a bit on the higher side price wise (both initial and maintenance). With all this I am still inclined towards buying the bike as I intend to keep it for at least 7-9 years.

What would be your take with this bike in year 2024, costing ~4.3lacs vs other options like Himalayan and Scrambler 400X? (not exactly same category but doesn't matter, as my major riding would be on tar roads in city and at times i would be going through muddy roads)
Considering your major use will be on tar roads in city and occasional muddy roads, also test ride the scrambler 400x. It will be close to 1L cheaper than BMW g310gs, has a tall stance, comfortable yet more powerful and has a smoother engine. Once a year service too. Can't go wrong with either of these 2 bikes but best to test ride it first.
Ratan Prabhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2024, 22:52   #99

Quote:

Since you are coming from 200NS, 310 and the Himalayan will be a big bike in city, scrambler also has the same height as 310GS. Please have a test ride in city for all the three bikes mentioned. We can assure that 310 and the Himalayan will be extremely comfortable but don't know about scramber and also you will not get the same initial pickup or the high gear torque same as the 200NS, you have to keep it in the right gear always same like a higher capacity KTM(390). Hope you understand my point. Its better to have a test ride for all the three and decide. Best wishes on your purchase.
Old 3rd March 2024, 23:09   #100
BHPian

Quote:
We can assure that 310 and the Himalayan will be extremely comfortable but don't know about scramber and also you will not get the same initial pickup or the high gear torque same as the 200NS, you have to keep it in the right gear always same like a higher capacity KTM(390)
I don't think an NS200 has good low end torque. I have owned an AS200 for 4 years and it needed revs to get a move on.
Old 3rd March 2024, 23:27   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post
I don't think an NS200 has good low end torque. I have owned an AS200 for 4 years and it needed revs to get a move on.
I meant the higher gear rideability, as i own a KTM 200 myself i feel it is very comfortable to ride in city than my GS and 200NS is very similar this bike.
Old 6th March 2024, 00:05   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Since you are coming from 200NS, 310 and the Himalayan will be a big bike in city, scrambler also has the same height as 310GS. Please have a test ride in city for all the three bikes mentioned. We can assure that 310 and the Himalayan will be extremely comfortable but don't know about scramber and also you will not get the same initial pickup or the high gear torque same as the 200NS, you have to keep it in the right gear always same like a higher capacity KTM(390). Hope you understand my point. Its better to have a test ride for all the three and decide. Best wishes on your purchase.
I did try scrambler, I liked the bike overall but the posture wasn't suiting me. I somehow felt uncomfortable riding it plus the seat height for some reason, even though being the same didn't let me keep the foot down flat, I ended up tip toeing, though the suspension was able to absorb the potholes quite nicely.
This wasn't the case with GS, I was pretty comfortable with my foot almost down and it also provided a better posture overall. And it definitely felt more comfortable.

The power difference was so evident and scrambler felt a bit closer to home in that aspect (NS200 let's you rip the engine and power delivery around 6-7k is really nice), but recent stories around triumph service being bombarded and not performing properly is kind of making me stay slightly away.

I also tried 310R just for the sake of it d it provided a weird sitting posture too. The foot peg position felt a bit higher usual, thus causing an unnatural angle at hip-thighs, which didn't feel comfortable.

I have not test ridden Himalayan, but the stories that I have heard from RE servicing is somewhat painful; and keeps me away from RE.

Overall I am finding 310 GS to be quite all rounder, apart from the price aspect.

I will check with dealership if they can give a discount of 30-40k, otherwise I would remain in a limbo.

Possibly will also check the preowned market, given the bike is almost 5-6 years into the market now with no real uplift.
BudgetFailure is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2024, 01:02   #103
BHPian

The dealer is giving extended warranty and insurance at no cost. I think I would go ahead with this bike as at this age comfort is utmost.

Ex showroom - 330000/-
Insurance - 18770/-
Road tax - 78434/-
Total onroad price - 427,197/-

Total post discount - 408,434/-
BudgetFailure is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2024, 12:28   #104
BHPian

Quote:
The dealer is giving extended warranty and insurance at no cost. I think I would go ahead with this bike as at this age comfort is utmost.

Ex showroom - 330000/-
Insurance - 18770/-
Road tax - 78434/-
Total onroad price - 427,197/-

Total post discount - 408,434/-
Upon reading your posts, I feel this is the best bike to suit your purpose.
Wishing you lots of miles on this amazing machine. Do share pictures & first impressions once you get delivery.
Old 8th March 2024, 13:09   #105
BHPian

Quote:
The dealer is giving extended warranty and insurance at no cost.
That's a solid 20k+ worth of discount. Go for it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks