Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2021, 11:09   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda has filed a patent for the CRF300L in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunter View Post
Even with a reasonable ex showroom price, a motorcycle with 880mm seat height will find very few takers in India. Even 6 footers will be tiptoeing on this.
Thai Model where it's imported from to India is 830mm. European and American markets receive the 880mm.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 14:48   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I'm usually a big critic of Honda's pricing strategies, but for this one - I'd be happy if it gets launched regardless of the price.

First of all - the CRF300L has quite the heritage.

Secondly - Honda's launch could trigger an entire segment with response from the likes of Kawasaki / Hero Motocorp (with their long rumoured Xpulse 300) etc.
True that!

Given the high probability of Honda's pricing fiasco rubbing off on this product too, it will at least give a push to other launches in this segment. An xpulse 300 with a rally kit similar to the existing one, and costing a reasonable price might be the unintended consequence that Honda might spur!
Old 8th June 2021, 17:16   #18
BHPian

The ABS epuipped model of the CRF weighs in at 142 or so kgs (It's going to be heavier by a couple kgs if they bring it here due to the saree guard nonsense). It's not something you'd call light weight but it's decent enough.

Hero's not going to be able get on the same level as the Honda in terms of ease of use if they don't bring the weight down to under 150 kgs.

Looking at the xpluse 200's 158 kg kerb weight, fat chance they'll put the xpulse 300 on a weight loss program and still be able to make it look like a "cheap and VFM" buy.

Honda's using aluminium on handlebar, levers, triple clamps, wheels, swingarm, axles, and whatever other bits and bobs.

I'll be surprised if Hero drops steel in favour of aluminium.

Then again, the prototype model was shown with a treliis frame. Hope that's a sign that Hero's wants the bike to be lean and mean.
drt_rdr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 18:22   #19
BHPian

The prospect of Honda launching this in India is good news but its unlikely to do any favor to the ADV biking community or to Honda in any way.

1) Knowing Honda - this will be quite Expensive and not VFM at all. That rules out 80% of the buyers as they will compare different bikes with same price
2) This doesn't even have have a pillion seat (practically) - That will take out another 19% of the prospective buyers
3) We had Versys 300 (A Twin cylinder ) on sale in India. A better bike in some aspects compared to CRF300L. Did it sell a lot? Nada. Now they don't sell it here at all :(
4) Kawasaki is also selling KX100, KX250, KLX110 and KLX140G at present in India. Anyone knows their sales numbers? I know these are white label (un-registered) and expensive. But the 1% buyer who may want it for his heart says so, is he still buying it? I doubt so. I also know that these are pure dirt bikes and not at all road biased but these essentially fall under the ADV category and hardly find any takers here mainly for their costs

Last edited by sunilch : 8th June 2021 at 18:34.
sunilch is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 21:06   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
The prospect of Honda launching this in India is good news but its unlikely to do any favor to the ADV biking community or to Honda in any way.

1) Knowing Honda - this will be quite Expensive and not VFM at all. That rules out 80% of the buyers as they will compare different bikes with same price
You said it ! So many people were looking forward to the CB500x launch but when the price came out the on road price was swapped out for the ex showroom price and so many people were left shell shocked. And the CB500x is basically a KTM 390 Adventure competitor abroad but over here 3 times the KTMs price.

Quote:
2) This doesn't even have have a pillion seat (practically) - That will take out another 19% of the prospective buyers
Possibly even more buyers. In India many bikes double up for commuting duties and a pillion seat is always something that most of us take for granted.

Quote:
3) We had Versys 300 (A Twin cylinder ) on sale in India. A better bike in some aspects compared to CRF300L. Did it sell a lot? Nada. Now they don't sell it here at all :(
The pricing was all wrong on that bike. It was priced at 4.7 lakhs ex showroom which was too overpriced at the time given the Ninja 300 with the same engine was selling for 3l. Also the Versys 650 was priced just a little bit more than the 300cc Versys 300 bike. So it was a very very tough sell. The Honda at least has the advantage of no real competition other than the Adventure 390 which isn't in the same league as the Honda w.r.t to its off roading capabilities.

Quote:
4) Kawasaki is also selling KX100, KX250, KLX110 and KLX140G at present in India. Anyone knows their sales numbers? I know these are white label (un-registered) and expensive. But the 1% buyer who may want it for his heart says so, is he still buying it? I doubt so. I also know that these are pure dirt bikes and not at all road biased but these essentially fall under the ADV category and hardly find any takers here mainly for their costs
Their sales are all in single digits per year. Here is last years performance -

However the issue is how do you take such bikes to an off road trail if you can't ride it on the road ? Abroad people have cars with trailers that allow you to take your dirt bikes anywhere. Over here people have no real opportunity unless you already live in a remote area. Then there is the question of pricing. Since they are CBUs they are prohibitively expensive.

At the end of the day everything will depend on how Honda prices this bike. It's $5200 in the US and white that should translate to around 4l here with Honda they think they can charge any premium and get away with it.
bf1983 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 17:21   #21
Senior - BHPian

Honda CRF300L spotted in India; launch on August 8?

Earlier, Honda had filed a patent for the CRF300L in India. Now, the dual-sport bike has been spotted at a dealership.

Honda has filed a patent for the CRF300L in India-62d688eba4672.jpg

The CRF300L is an entry-level dual-sport motorcycle and could compete with the Hero XPulse 200. It comes equipped with a 43 mm long-travel USD fork suspension at the front and a long-travel mono-shock at the rear. The bike rides on 21-inch and 18-inch wire-spoke wheels at the front and rear, respectively. This gives the bike a ground clearance of 284 mm.

Powering the CRF300L is a 286cc, single-cylinder, liquid-cooled engine that puts out 27 BHP and 26.6 Nm and comes paired with a 6-speed gearbox via a slip and assist clutch.

Honda has an event scheduled for August 8, but hasn’t confirmed the model that will be announced.

Source: Bikedekho

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 20th July 2022 at 17:23.
TusharK is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 18:10   #22
BHPian

Bikedekho seriously thinks the Honda CRF 300L which is a pretty legendary bike from the Honda stable will compete with the Xpulse 200? The run of the mill Honda Cb200x is their competitor to the Xpulse in Hondas eyes even though the Cb200x is a glorified tourer and not a real ADV.

This bike sells for $5400 in the USA (~4.3 lakhs) so this can't retail for anything less than 5l ex showroom (possibly even higher
) in India given Hondas eye gouging prices for imported bikes.

This is a bullet proof bike that can be taken all over the world but I don't know how the market will accept a 300cc single cylinder bike considering the Kawasaki Versys 300 which had a more powerful and smoother engine flopped badly.

Last edited by bf1983 : 20th July 2022 at 18:14. Reason: Typo
bf1983 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 18:36   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf1983 View Post
Bikedekho seriously thinks the Honda CRF 300L which is a pretty legendary bike from the Honda stable will compete with the Xpulse 200? The run of the mill Honda Cb200x is their competitor to the Xpulse in Hondas eyes even though the Cb200x is a glorified tourer and not a real ADV.

This bike sells for $5400 in the USA (~4.3 lakhs) so this can't retail for anything less than 5l ex showroom (possibly even higher
) in India given Hondas eye gouging prices for imported bikes.

This is a bullet proof bike that can be taken all over the world but I don't know how the market will accept a 300cc single cylinder bike considering the Kawasaki Versys 300 which had a more powerful and smoother engine flopped badly.
The only thing that works in the CRF favor is that the CB300 engine is made in India now and i think its the same engine with a different tune in the CRF? How much is the CBR300?
Old 20th July 2022, 18:47   #24
Senior - BHPian

This "looks" more like a road legal competitor to the Kawasaki KX/KLX - won't fit the typical indian definition of adventure which is more road / touring oriented.

This is purpose built like the xPulse to go where you normally won't venture esp with those knobbly tyres, massive suspension travel, flat - slim enduro like seat and minimal comfort oriented feature set. Will be priced like a Honda too!

But this will be such a great bike to have - simple, robust, purpose built and go anywhere!

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 20th July 2022 at 19:08.
Old 20th July 2022, 20:02   #25
BHPian

I know I'll be buying one if priced reasonably, knowing honda though it seems unlikely.
Old 20th July 2022, 21:15   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
The only thing that works in the CRF favor is that the CB300 engine is made in India now and i think its the same engine with a different tune in the CRF? How much is the CBR300?
The CB300R comes in at around 2.77 Lakh Ex-Showroom (3.47 Lakh (Bangalore), 3.20 Lakh (Mumbai) , 3.14 Lakh (Delhi) on-road) and I don't see the CRF300L launching for much less than that.
Old 20th July 2022, 22:24   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I believe the CB300R engine is brought in from abroad and rest of the bike is made locally given that no other Honda bike currently uses it. The Honda CB300R sells for 2.8l ex showroom.
Old 21st July 2022, 08:03   #28
BHPian

Whether or not this one launches on the 8th, it is encouraging to know that something is in the works at Honda atleast. Looking at prices at the UK atleast, the cb300 costs 4899 and the 300l costs 4999, It would be interesting to see if HMSI follows the same pricing strategy here.
Grimlock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 10:44   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Earlier, Honda had filed a patent for the CRF300L in India. Now, the dual-sport bike has been spotted at a dealership.

Attachment 2336551
The photo is from some dealership in Nepal as per messages on riders group on Whatsapp.
Old 26th July 2022, 23:11   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambarkhan View Post
The photo is from some dealership in Nepal as per messages on riders group on Whatsapp.
We gave our cb300r for service. The SA told us that the CRF300L is expected on the 8th.

Conspiracy theory:
Honda is following TVS strategy. Spread rumours of different models to be launched, at different dealers. Ronin, Zeppelin, etc. Create controversy and discussion. Generate free publicity and create acceptance for a disappointing launch.

Forza, CRF, etc. Finally launch a wet firework: Forza 350!
proton is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks