Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2007, 09:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

Machismo or Electra 5S!!

Folks,,

I'm planning to buy an RE soon. I'm in the middle of selection criteria and kind of finalized the two of RE models.
Could you please suggest me which one is going to be a best deal as per my requirements!!
  • My usage is going to be ~20-30KMs daily in city like Bangalore. I'd hate to drive my car in the central district of Bangalore city on regular basis - I normally enjoy my car on Highways and not on Bangy roads
  • I'd like to have the classic thump, I know Electra has got that one due to iron cast engine, however if I go for Machismo, I'll get it with minor mods in silencer
  • Of course, I'm new to RE, I'll take sometime to understand the technology before I start maintaining minor stuff on my own, so I'd like to start with the one that has got less maintenance
    I need your advice on iron cast (Electra 5s) and Al cast (Machismo), which one would be a good engine in terms of performance, wear & tear and long life
  • I actually need a curiser, going to use frequently on highways but also need a lil bit of performance while using it in the city on regular basis
  • I'd love to adopt right foot gear, but its not there with any 5S model I guess, I have heard that the new Machismo is coming by May 15 (a dealer in Jayanagar and Tecnik motors told me,, but Agro folks says it will not be so soon) will have an ES. I'm not a big fan of ES, if I'm using bullet,, I'll better use KS. However, I'l badly need tacho and fuel gauge on it which current Machismo or Electra doesnt have! Can anyone confirm whether the new Machismo will come with tacho and fuel gauge!! I'd rather wait for that model then (dont want to go with the TB as the looks are too much in my opinion)
I'll add to this if something comes to my mind, but for now I guess I'm more inclined towards Machismo(Classic Green). Your views are welcome.
Thank you.

Last edited by Ketan : 11th May 2007 at 09:07.
Old 12th May 2007, 15:13   #2
BHPian

We have all been hearing about the impending launch of the New Bullet by the 15th of this month. It'll be the Machismo 500 with the AVL engine producing 25bhp. It'll be styled similar to the 350 Machismo ( So U can forget about Tachometer and fuel guage- anyway, those are hardly neede in an Enfield). It'll also be fully loaded- ES, Disc Brake, Gas Shockers- et all and will be priced over 1.10 Lakh.

There are also unconfirmed reports about RE stopping production of the 350 Machismo alltogether and getting it replaced by the 500.
Old 12th May 2007, 20:32   #3
Senior - BHPian

You wont get the real thump from Machismo.

The real reason why you get the typical thump from the Cast iron engine is because of the torque produced by the engine at lower RPM/

By changing silencer of the Machismo, you can only make it sound louder, nothing more than that. Infact, you can een change silencer of Karizma to get a similar sound as Machismo.

How do I know all this?

Because I own Thunderbird, and I have put in a modded silencer.
I used to wonder why it still doesnt sound the same as Bullets.
Then after R&D I realized that Aluminium engine is weka in producing torque at low RPM.

Hence, while driving, the engine would be running at higher RPM than a cast iron engine.

And That is the reason why the thump is not genuine in Machismos and TBIrds.

Electra is the bike if you want/like the classic thing (other than getting Bullet 350 standard). PERIOD.

PS: There is no true cruiser bike in India.

A cruiser has ceratin thigns that make it a cruiser:
1. It should have a low revving torquey engine. Old Bullet 500 had this - but it is out of prduction now
2. The seating and handlebars should be such that it doesnt stress your lower back and your shoulders too much. TBird's seating is decent, but its handlebars are way too much in front, which stresses your shoulders after a while. Other bikes are not even worth mentioning here.
Old 12th May 2007, 22:02   #4
JPL
BHPian

Thats true what alpha1 says,

but I have been riding a T-Bird and I consider it as the best bet between all the RE offerings,

Seating is comfortable and the handlebars you get used it, though its not as powerful as the 500 and you need to downshift in traffic still its the best city and highway ride.

And also except for the free service, never give the enfiled to the showrrom unless you have contacts cos spare parts are expensive, and mileage I used to get with super shell was around 28-32.
Old 12th May 2007, 23:02   #5
BHPian

Ketan: Go with a Machismo, you won't regret. It will take care of all your needs. The new Machismo 500 is getting launched this Month in Chennai and it doesnt have fuel gauge. Why do you want it? Is there a real important reason...i know its convinient...you can always fit it as an access.

Alpha: Who gave you this wrong idea that Thump is bcos of the Torque. Both Electra and STD350 produce 3.26 kgm @ 3000 RPM. Both STD and Electra share the same engine...so thump should be same right???

The difference in thump is bcos of the Electrical Circuit, the STD 350 uses a CB Point whereas Electra uses a TCI circuit which results in the difference in the Thump. Machismo /TBird uses CDi and an Aluminium Engine which results even mutted thump. This can be fixed to an extent by using a Short Bottle silencer. People mod the SIlencer by removing the glasswool thereby making it a free flow...if you do this, ensure you can Carb is rejetted to take care of the setup...

Its similar to ****ty sounding RD350 on CDis and Musical RD350 on CB Points (though the diff much audible in Bullet)
Old 12th May 2007, 23:03   #6
BHPian

New TBrds use TCI...
Old 12th May 2007, 23:06   #7
BHPian

How much mileage do you get Madbull?

I get ~35 on my 05 Machismo
Old 12th May 2007, 23:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
Why do you want it? Is there a real important reason...i know its convinient...you can always fit it as an access.
Exactly, I thought it'd be convinient,, and one of the few things I liked from TB is the instrument cluster where you get tacho and fuel guage, again, I know, its not going to be a major thing, its just that I've now habit to keep looking at tacho whenever I shift upward in my car.

Thank you guys for the responses. I'll check with Agro and find out if they have got Green Mach available.
Old 13th May 2007, 21:47   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
How much mileage do you get Madbull?

I get ~35 on my 05 Machismo
On an average I get 38-40 in City wihtout ripping her...if I rip and roar i get 35ish...

When I bought we did have this challenge of getting the maximum out of her and we did fine tuning of the carb and did a good riding at 50 - 55 kmph at the ECR to reach Pondicherry and the best she gave was 57 KMPL...thats the best I was able to reach...but never got the figure again...who has the patience to play nice :-)
Old 13th May 2007, 21:49   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Exactly, I thought it'd be convinient,, and one of the few things I liked from TB is the instrument cluster where you get tacho and fuel guage, again, I know, its not going to be a major thing, its just that I've now habit to keep looking at tacho whenever I shift upward in my car.

Thank you guys for the responses. I'll check with Agro and find out if they have got Green Mach available.
I see you are in Bangy...you can take her to Nandan or someone and get a Fuel Guage fixed...after sometime you can forget teh Tacho...I would suggest stop looking at the tacho and start talking to your engine...by doing that you will also be able to tell if there is problem as you will really know when she whines...just like a girl ...so you can fix her before she tosses a big surprise with her shopping

P.S: Its called Alberto Green
Old 13th May 2007, 21:54   #11
Senior - BHPian

Yup,, I read about it a little later. Its Alberto Green. Really looks nice.

I'll be calling Agro tomorrow for further details. in the mean time I also see that the 2002-2005 models are available at about 40K-60K. I'd not mind if I can get a 2005 or 2006 model in this range. Guys, please let me know if you come across any such deals...
Thanks.
Old 13th May 2007, 22:07   #12
BHPian

Good...Advance Welcome to the Brotherhood
Old 16th May 2007, 10:20   #13
Senior - BHPian

I saw new Machismo yesterday at RE Brand showroom (Jayanagar). No major changes except ES. The new model has got clutch and front break chromed, I guess the battery box is also chormed not black and it has got tale/break light assembley of TB now - its written Machismo 350 now. As I said earlier, I'm not a big fan of ES and can live without all those changes..Yes, a big change for me is, there is no Alberto Green available with the new model.
I'm checking with Agro folks and they are trying to check with area Mgr and see if they can get an old model with Alberto Green for me.
Old 16th May 2007, 11:13   #14
Senior - BHPian

Agro said, they wont be able to get me the old model :( Looks like I'll have to go with the new one now. One more major diff I forgot to mntioin that now its TCI and no more CDI.
Old 16th May 2007, 12:57   #15
Senior - BHPian

OT:
@madbullram: Does the TCI ignition have a advancing system? I read somewhere that the TCI does not advance the timing and it's static.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks