Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2021, 22:46   #16
BHPian

Re: Buying advice: Hero Xpulse vs TVS Apache RTR 200 vs Honda Highness vs Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast.ggn View Post
Duke 250 packs enough punch for city and highways both.

If you can live with Bajaj's service, do check out Dominar 250 as well after recent price cuts.
I am not very keen on getting a used bike. I am not looking at Duke. I am considering Adventure 250. I am afraid that the Adventure 250 / 390 might be abused off road and may not be maintained properly.

A lot of them recommend Dominar, I will consider it after a TD.
Old 31st August 2021, 23:04   #17
BHPian

Re: Buying advice: Hero Xpulse vs TVS Apache RTR 200 vs Honda Highness vs Others

I test rode the Meteor and the H'ness recently.
The Meteor has a comfortable seat, decent riding posture and a ( relatively) smooth engine. The test ride bike, all of 3500 km vintage, had an extremely hard clutch with uncomfortable spaced clutch and brake levers. The engine didn't feel torquey though.

The Honda had better quality in general but had a few cheap bits. The engine has a nice beat but the skinny clutch and brake levers took me back 30 years. The bike also dives each time you revv and shift up gears due to the soft front end.

Both bikes felt out of their comfort zones over 80 km/HR.
matizcrazy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 08:54   #18
BHPian

In the same boat for quite a while now. When I'm eventually ready to make the purchase (early 2022), this is my pecking order, and for the following reasons:

1. The upcoming Yamaha Aerox 155 (if it makes it to our shores)- ideal hybrid of a scooter and a motorbike- marries the convenience of a scooter (automatic transmission for our Bangalore traffic, storage space, lightweight and agile) with the performance and safety of a motorcycle (15 odd bhp, ABS, fat tyres). Hope they bring it to our shores and price it right.

2. Yamaha FZ25- it was a straight shootout between this and the Apache 200- the FZ25 won because of superior performance benchmarks for the price, comfort, excellent brakes. Apache would win out only for the superior display and riding modes, if it mattered to one.

3. RE Himalayan- this was on my list till recently purely for the comfort value (same reasons you have the XPulse almost), but dropping it for a bit because of various reliability issues reported on this forum.

4. Interceptor 650- this is more of a heart over head decision, simply because I don't actually need that much power for primarily city riding. But something about that Ventura Blue is tugging me in places I didn't know could be accessed downsides are the weight and price.

5. The TVS/BMW 310 family- all 3 of these bikes have a different value proposition, and all seem great for what they offer. If I'm feeling a bit loose with my wallet, this trio would undoubtedly beat the FZ, REs etc.

6. Dominar 400- again, a great VFM package. Great power, looks and comfort. Might upstage the 310s if weight wasn't an issue. Will TD and decide.

As you can see, I'm as confused as you are, if not more! Happy shopping!

Last edited by Sudarshan42 : 1st September 2021 at 08:59.
Sudarshan42 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 09:08   #19
BHPian

Good to see many more on the same boat as me.

Though i love my bike to bits. I was in need for a secondary bike for my daily commute for days my bike is in service. (Currently using my dad's Access for this 90 Km commute and got it is hard transition from my KTM).

I have this excel format i prepared which is still Work in Progress for months now. I am still modifying and updating details with feedback from Bhpians and friends. In fact i was trying to share this earlier in this forum to get faster feedback but never got to it.

I was wondering in my mind today morning if i should give two sets of weightages to each parameter. One in accordance to needs and one in accordance of wants. Did not do that modification yet. I hope this format helps your decision making.

Bike.xlsx
rohitoasis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 14:13   #20
BHPian

The Bikes you have mentioned are in totally different price brackets, Though the purpose, as you have mentioned is what most of us do, city + the occasional highway ride.

Highness
I would recommend the Highness simply as it will mean a no nonsense, reliable, comfortable cruiser and also nimble enough for city. And a grown up bike as well.

Interceptor
I know you don't want to consider pre-worshipped bikes, But a used RE Interceptor would also make sense. Super smooth bike with proven reliability, guarantee of parts availability and power that will not bore you for at least a few years.

Apache, Gixxer will not be comfortable for the pillion.
Adv Duke might be heavy on the pocket.

Meteor & Classic, I feel are bettered by the Honda.

- Slick
Slick is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 20:04   #21
BHPian

May I suggest a well used Dominar 400? It fits well within your budget and it’s got plenty of grunt for the highway. You don’t miss the big bike feel, and the pillion seat isn’t bad at all. You can add an extra backrest too, like my friend has done on his bike. The mod potential is amazing too, and the bike returns a decent FE.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 20:12   #22
BHPian

Would love to add the Dominar 250 to your consideration set. More confusion!
shaikhmimran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 21:02   #23
BHPian

Have a different take and happy if my perspective helps

In my opinion, buying a Royal Enfield product is like getting married into a very big typical Indian family! You bump into someone everywhere who is part of your family, most importantly, share the same sentiment! It's the community feeling you get that makes the whole experience charming with a Royal Enfield and that does not stop only within the boundaries of our country but extends far and beyond!

I love the way Royal Enfield makes the whole buying experience special as well (if you can ignore the crazy waiting period)! Walk into any of their showrooms and it's a crazy mix of bikes, accessories, merchandise, memorabilia, and what not! It's like you can start touring right out of the showroom (a bit exaggerated I know!). To sum it up, without being too specific about the actual model from the RE stables (which is solely dependent on your requirements), am sure you will love the overall experience if you can hoodwink some shortcomings!

On the other hand, the H'ness CB350 is a typical Honda. For, you are either happy or pretend to be happy because it's a Honda. Currently, more than the product, it's the experience that's actually making people go to a nearby Royal Enfield Showroom. As an owner of this capable machine, I would rate the overall Honda experience as the weak link here. The community feel is sorely missed! Walk into any Big Wing showroom and it's just a couple of bikes and some merchandise here and there that one gets to see. Worst, the clueless showroom folks. Wouldn't be surprised if Honda ceases production on this model soon and exists the retro classic segment altogether. Until the sun rises from the west, it's a sweet machine with a wonderful motor and some funky gadgetry to boot. Don't think it's here to compete with the Royals!

Last edited by vinair : 1st September 2021 at 21:04.
vinair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 23:19   #24
Senior - BHPian

You are good on the options.

Assuming the following are your requirements :
- Rider and pillion comfort is important, easy seating position
- Good enough power for highways
- upgrade over the CBZ Xtreme
- Big bike feel

My suggestions (haven't ridden any) :
1. CB350 : seems well suited except the Big Wing only serviceability
2. Meteor : have heard good things about it but same concerns as you.
3. 250 Adv : watch for the suspension stiffness, might be a deal breaker for you

Fuel Efficiency of these options is a realistic 30-35kmpl. Treat anything more as a bonus but don't count on it. Don't go by manufacturer claims.

The BMW 310s also fit technically but their sticker price and maintenance costs are a deterrent so I can't recommend.

Last edited by shancz : 1st September 2021 at 23:21. Reason: added bg opt
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 00:02   #25
BHPian

Surprised no one has mentioned the Jawa 42 2.1.

Superb engine, refined, torquey and smooth. With 27 bhp and 27 nm torque, doing 2 up on the highways will be a breeze.

The seat cushioning has been changed and won't cause your spine to get all bent out of alignment every time you go over a bump.

Looks stunning, competent suspension setup. Small form factor means pottering in the city won't be a pain, but open up the throttle in the highway and you be smiling all the way till you reach your destination.

I know Classic Legends are a horrible company with regards to things like delivery time lines but do give the bike a TD.

My friend has one and I have done a few short expressway rides and it's a hoot and a half to ride in.
Stribog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 01:49   #26
BHPian

Any Reason why you have left the Himalayan out of your list? Given that the other two adventure options are included?

The Himalayan has an extremely comfortable ride and a decent pillion.
Bluengel180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 09:51   #27
Senior - BHPian

Unfair comments there. The CB 350 is a superb bike, and I'm not 'pretending' to be happy. Just thrilled that they got this here. Do you know it sells in Japan, (this very same machine)? What use is the RE community if the bikes are not reliable and rust like crazy? Is initial buying experience the 'be all, and end all?' Just yesterday we bought another CB, this time the RS (In Red), for one of my friends. The smoothness is unparalleled. Why pull down a good product just to prop up the RE? Honda Service is really good. Since you're in Bangalore I suggest we catch up, and I welcome you to please ride my bike. Maybe you'll change your opinion
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
On the other hand, the H'ness CB350 is a typical Honda. For, you are either happy or pretend to be happy because it's a Honda. Currently, more than the product, it's the experience that's actually making people go to a nearby Royal Enfield Showroom. As an owner of this capable machine, I would rate the overall Honda experience as the weak link here. The community feel is sorely missed! Walk into any Big Wing showroom and it's just a couple of bikes and some merchandise here and there that one gets to see. Worst, the clueless showroom folks. Wouldn't be surprised if Honda ceases production on this model soon and exists the retro classic segment altogether. Until the sun rises from the west, it's a sweet machine with a wonderful motor and some funky gadgetry to boot. Don't think it's here to compete with the Royals!

Last edited by Sebring : 2nd September 2021 at 09:59.
Sebring is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 11:00   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
Have a different take and happy if my perspective helps

In my opinion, buying a Royal Enfield product is like getting married into a very big typical Indian family! You bump into someone everywhere who is part of your family, most importantly, share the same sentiment! It's the community feeling you get that makes the whole experience charming with a Royal Enfield and that does not stop only within the boundaries of our country but extends far and beyond!

I love the way Royal Enfield makes the whole buying experience special as well (if you can ignore the crazy waiting period)! Walk into any of their showrooms and it's a crazy mix of bikes, accessories, merchandise, memorabilia, and what not! It's like you can start touring right out of the showroom (a bit exaggerated I know!). To sum it up, without being too specific about the actual model from the RE stables (which is solely dependent on your requirements), am sure you will love the overall experience if you can hoodwink some shortcomings!
Expectations hyped,
Great, lavish honeymoon
and a bad marriage thereafter
or
Expectations set,
Simple honeymoon
and a wonderful long marriage thereafter?

Sometimes you don't have to write too much to get the observation across
Red Liner is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 12:12   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
Surprised no one has mentioned the Jawa 42 2.1.
I know Classic Legends are a horrible company with regards to things like delivery time lines but do give the bike a TD.
Thanks, I thought about adding a foot note about it since the delivery fiasco had me move it out of contention but yeah a TD won't hurt.

To the OP, check out this video, might gain some insights or be more confused
Credits to Providers :
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 15:38   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Expectations hyped,
Great, lavish honeymoon
and a bad marriage thereafter or
Expectations set,
Simple honeymoon and a wonderful long marriage thereafter?

Sometimes you don't have to write too much to get the observation across
Only if writing too little makes one wise!

To me personally, the experience is what really matters and it starts right from the time I visit a showroom, whether I make a purchase or not.

RE, according to me, does it beautifully and its not that the products are absolute crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Unfair comments there. The CB 350 is a superb bike, and I'm not 'pretending' to be happy. Just thrilled that they got this here. Do you know it sells in Japan, (this very same machine)? What use is the RE community if the bikes are not reliable and rust like crazy? Is initial buying experience the 'be all, and end all?' Just yesterday we bought another CB, this time the RS (In Red), for one of my friends. The smoothness is unparalleled. Why pull down a good product just to prop up the RE? Honda Service is really good. Since you're in Bangalore I suggest we catch up, and I welcome you to please ride my bike. Maybe you'll change your opinion
I am happy with the motorcycle too. Period.

Can I say the same with the service and accessories situation? Probably not. Do I still want to sound happy? Maybe I have to pretend; i.e to crush my own false sense of pride. Nope, I don't do that. I am critical of the service, accessories situation and the response I get from the famed Big Wing dealers . Sure we'll catch up mate!

Last edited by vb-saan : 3rd September 2021 at 06:37. Reason: Back to back posts merged
vinair is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks