Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2021, 13:21   #31
BHPian

Re: Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZone View Post

2. Sell me your old junk

Speaking of exhaust, I found a used AEW 102 on OLX, but it got sold off immediately after I found it Keeping with the used theme of the bike I don't want a shiny new exhaust, and I do want a slip-on at the minimum. Like I'd feared, the stock exhaust is a pain to live with, just a few days ago I had one nanosecond of skin contact, and it hurt like hell for hours afterwards. This is the only reason why I want to change it, I quite like the way the stock exhaust sounds, but it's just a monumentally stupid design.

I ideally want to buy a TEC Stinger, for the weight reduction bro, but I don't know if I'll be able to source it, especially considering TEC is based out of the UK, who have decided to lock themselves in their cold and damp island with Brexit. AEW 102 slip-on is my second choice, because it looks like stock, isn't too loud, and hides the joint between the pipe and the can. If anyone's upgrading from their Stinger or 102, please sell it to me!
Might I suggest for exhaust options, have a look at Powerage. They have option of short and long, SS finish or Chrome finish.
Have them on my bike and absolutely love them.
They look great. Fit and finish is top notch. And since mentioned that you are ok with the stock exhaust note, these sound close to stock maybe about 25% louder. Coupled with the air filter change which you have already done, this works very well with that set up. I'm running DNA with MK Design stage2 plate.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-gt650powerage.jpg  

MadRasTan4986 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 17:50   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRasTan4986 View Post
Might I suggest for exhaust options, have a look at Powerage.
Thanks! That actually looks quite nice. Is that the shorty version you have? Methinks the shorty chrome will look good, and match with the bend pipe too.

One question for installation, I believe the stock cans come with a circular padding around the area where they meet the pipe, to prevent leaks perhaps, did you change that when you put in the new exhaust or just reused the old one?
RiderZone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 18:07   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! That actually looks quite nice. Is that the shorty version you have? Methinks the shorty chrome will look good, and match with the bend pipe too.

One question for installation, I believe the stock cans come with a circular padding around the area where they meet the pipe, to prevent leaks perhaps, did you change that when you put in the new exhaust or just reused the old one?
Yes it's the short chrome finish. Shorty chrome suits the bike as the tail pipe ends at the rim of the rear wheel. The long will extend about 50mm further so it'll still be compact and won't stick out too much. No difference in price between the variants.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPAI2vcg...dium=copy_link

You can check the above link for difference.

Regarding the padding at header pipe to tail pipe connection, I pulled them out and used what Powerage came with. They fit very snug. No leaks.
Hope the information helps.

Feel free to reach out to the number on their website as well. He's very knowledgeable and very helpful in addressing queries.
MadRasTan4986 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 18:14   #34

Hi....Speedmonks are selling TEC in India....you should contact them and check if you want to go that way....
imxtreme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 20:09   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imxtreme View Post
Hi....Speedmonks are selling TEC in India....you should contact them and check if you want to go that way....
Thanks! I saw that, but the price is eye watering, almost twice what they're being sold in the UK for, 57000 bucks. I'll most likely ditch the full-system plan, and stick to a slip-on, Powerage looks great, waiting on an HDFC credit card so I can get some discount off Amazon
Old 27th October 2021, 13:08   #36
BHPian

Spiti: A ride in 50 photos

Day 1: 15 Oct, Nangal - Nalagarh - Shimla - Rampur, 250 kms, 12 hours

The first day of any long ride is always a mess. You wake up late, get irritated with the luggage mounting, then ride hard the rest of the day to get through the boring roads and closer to the fun stuff. The first day of this ride was especially messy, because we had to cross the nightmare that's Shimla. Even before we got there though, the Nalagarh - Shimla stretch made things worse with its tiny broken roads. Took us an hour and a half to get through Shimla, and by that time we were all tired and frustrated. Night soon came, and we slowly made our way to Rampur. The hotels were all booked, naturally, so we ended up staying in a PWD guest house. All in all, could have been worse.

Day 2: 16 Oct, Rampur - Karcham - Reckong Peo - Kalpa, 106 kms, 5 hours

This is where the fun started. Cliffhanger roads, river for company, and snow covered mountains in the distance, the world was fun and beautiful again. We decided to stay in Kalpa rather than Reckong Peo for the better views, and it was a good decision. The mountains looked spectacular from our room, which was also in the middle of an apple farm. The sunset was fabulous, we slept happy and satisfied with our existence.

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-1-cliffhanger.jpeg

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-2-cliffhanger-2.jpeg

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-4-kalpa-road.jpeg

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-5-kalpa-mountains.jpeg

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-6-kalpa-apples.jpeg

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-7-kalpa-sunset.jpeg

Day 3: 17 Oct, Kalpa - Pooh - Khab - Nako, 109 kms, 6 hours

Before we started the trip, we had seen weather warnings about heavy rains and snow in Spiti, starting today. We had ignored these warnings, because when was the last time a weather prediction had turned out to be correct? The weather predictions were turning out to be correct right now, the spectacular mountains in front of us were covered in mist.

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-8-kalpa-sunrise.jpeg

We did not want to get stuck in Kalpa, so got up real early and got on the road. The beautiful mountains and rivers continued, but we were a bit distracted by the dark clouds covering them. Had some amazing Maggie and samosas at the army cafe in Pooh, and then the rain began.

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-8-pooh.jpeg

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-9-sangam-cliffhanger.jpeg

It was light rain, so we carried on. It got slightly heavier at Khab, but we carried on. Near Nako however, it got really heavy. We stopped and talked to a few bikers who had come down form Kaza, and they said the conditions were much worse up there, including hail. We decided to stop at Nako and took a room at hotel Reo Purguil. Little did we realize that we will remember that name for the rest of our lives.

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-10-nako-love.jpeg

The rain didn't stop us exploring the little village, we put on our rain gear and climbed up the nearest hill. The view was amazing, the momos made it better. If you're ever in Nako, go to the little hotel right in front of Reo Purguil, it's called Mountain View, Raju will being you some simple, amazing food.

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-10-nako-momos.jpeg

Day 4: 18 Oct, Nako, 0 kms

The rains carried on all night, it was bitterly cold. Electricity had been coming and going for the past few days, hot water was a luxury. As soon as we'd crossed Pooh, the Airtel network had died and only Jio worked, sometimes.

Then suddenly around mid-afternoon we realized the rain was falling like a bollywood villain who's just been shot, in slow motion. The snow had begun, and over the next few hours we went through the following emotions:

12 PM: Oh wow snow is so beautiful and fluffy and soft I love it.
2 PM: Look that mountain was brown in the morning, now it's white so nice.
4 PM: The Jio network is down too, must be the snowstorm, but it's so dam pretty.
6 PM: Umm, that's snowing a lot isn't it, how are we going to get out of here?
8 PM: I want to go eat something. Please stop.
10 PM: Is this our life now? Trapped in a hotel forever. White death.
12 PM: If this snowfall has stopped when I wake up, I will start believing in you again God.

Only rain

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-11-room-1.jpeg

Rain and Snow

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-11-room-2.jpeg

Snowstorm

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-11-room-3.jpeg

Just after the snowstorm

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-11-room-4.jpeg

The result

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-11-room-5.jpeg

Day 5: 19 Oct, Nako, 0 kms

The snowfall had stopped when I woke up, but I didn't keep my promise. Everything was covered in about a foot of snow, it was beautiful, and scary.

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-12-nako-after-snow.jpeg

We had a lazy breakfast, I took a bath with ice cold water, and then we decided to try and get out of Nako. We were getting reports of landslides up towards Tabo, and down towards Pooh, and even rumors of people dying on the way to Kaza after their vehicle was hit by a big stone which took it down the cliff. We still decided to chance it, because we didn't want to spend another day in Nako.

About a hundred meters out of the hotel, my Interceptor friend got his front wheel wedged in the snow and dropped the bike with his wifey on it. The leg guard was bent, so was the rear brake lever, but no harm otherwise. That was a bad omen, but we carried on.

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-13-nako-attempt-failed.jpeg

I was convinced that we should head back down, maybe towards Chitkul. The snowstorm had scared me, I was happy to admit defeat and run away from unknown dangers. However, we spoke to an army guy who confirmed that there were multiple landslides near Pooh, so going back was not an option. The road up to Tabo was supposed to be open by evening, but we knew what the right thing to do was.

We went back to Reo Purguil, and took the same rooms again. Even if the road opened by 5 PM, we couldn't do anything with it. It would be freezing past 5, riding would be impossible, and we had no intention of getting stuck behind some landslide in the dark. We climbed back the hill again and sat watching the traffic move and stop. Even though we were stuck in Nako for another night, it was the right decision, as we found out the next day.

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-14-nako-lake.jpeg

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-14-nako-road.jpeg
RiderZone is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 13:20   #37
BHPian

Day 6: 20 Oct, Nako - Sumdo - Tabo - Kaza, 111 kms, 8 hours

Another day, another attempt to get out of Nako and hotel Reo Purguil. We got ready and going early, and soon found ourselves at the infamous Malling Nala. I was leading, and saw that the water was a bit deeper on the left side which was covered in stones, while the right side was shallower with a concrete slab. The choice seemed obvious, I turned the handle of my bike right towards the concrete. The tire touched the concrete, and instantly folded. I put my right foot down on the concrete, and that instantly slipped. The bike was down, and I was still sliding on the icy concrete, trying to regain my balance. Friends came over and helped lift the bike, we got going again, no omens to see here.

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-15-malling-bike-drop.jpeg

There were a few JCBs at work on the route to Tabo, which meant delays, but the views were getting better by the minute. We found our way to Tabo, and bought some fuel from a shop. Because it was only around 12 PM, we decided to go to Kaza, which was our final planned destination from the start. People usually do the Nako to Kaza section in 3 to 4 hours. We took 8 hours because we kept stopping at every turn to take photos. Got to Kaza and stayed at the Travellers Shed hotel.

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-16-tabo-road.jpeg

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-17-tabo-road-3-bikes.jpeg

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-18-kaza-road-stones.jpeg

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-19-kaza-road-river.jpeg

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-20-kaza-river-bed.jpeg

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-21-kaza-road-view.jpeg

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-22-kaza-road-river-view.jpeg

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-23-kaza-entry.jpeg

If you find yourself in Kaza, go look for the SBI ATM in the main market. If you are facing the ATM, look left towards the road going up. You will see a small shop called Singey Food Corner. Go to that shop, eat their thupka, their bread omelette, their momos, their tea. The cook, Shammi, is a wizard. He's famous with the locals all the way to Tabo. You won't find better food within a 1000 km radius.

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-24-kaza-thupka.jpeg

We did experiment a bit with non-local food, and went to the Himalayan Cafe nearby. The honey ginger tea and the pizza felt like well deserved treats after our little adventure.

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-25-kaza-tea.jpeg

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-26-kaza-pizza.jpeg

After the food we stopped by a local shopkeeper who was burning some cardboard for heat and chatted a bit. Their life is harsh, but they have a very calm way of handling life that I find fascinating.

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-27-kaza-fire.jpeg

Day 7: 21 Oct, Kaza - Chicham - Kibber - Tabo, 91 kms, 7 hours

The staff at the Travellers Shed hotel had told us in the night that they will stop the water supply around 10 PM because otherwise the water freezes in the pipes. They had said that they'll restart the supply at 6 or 7 am. We got up at 7 am, no water. We waited for half an hour, no water. We went to the front desk, no staff, and no water. It was only after 8 that we realized that all the staff were sleeping. Banged a few doors and got them up. They sleepily opened some valves on the roof, no water. Even with all their precautions at night, water had still frozen in the pipes somehow, or they were rather incompetent. The staff didn't even have the foresight to tell us at night to keep a bucket or two filled up for the morning. Nothing we could do but wait for the sun to come up and unfreeze our water.

After that frustrating morning, we decided to still keep our schedule and go see Chicham bridge, Kibber village, and Key gompa. Chicham bridge is a fascinating object, for a small village community a massive suspension bridge has been build on a gorge that's scarily deep. If you stand on the bridge while a card goes by, the whole thing shakes. We then went on to Kibber village, and that was very interesting too. A remote location with a perfectly smooth road to it, covered in snow in all directions. Key monastery was good too, although I didn't go inside. I'm not a religious man, man-made objects don't interest me.

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-28-cheecham-bridge.jpeg

Biker's favorite road sign

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-29-kibber-sign.jpeg

Biker's favorite road type

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-30-kibber-road.jpeg

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-31-kaza-road.jpeg

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-32-kaza-road.jpeg

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-33-kibber.jpeg

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-34-key-monastery.jpeg

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-35-kaza-view.jpeg

With these places done, we decided to head back to Tabo. With my Interceptor, and my friend's Interceptor with pillion, we had always known that we can't really do the whole Spiti loop to Manali, at least not comfortably. The road till Kaza was bad, but it got far, far worse. Good thing was that Kunzum pass was closed, so our path was chosen for us. The route to Hikkim was also closed due to snow, so there was nowhere to go but back.

Because of the frustrating morning, I really didn't feel like following my friends all the way to Tabo. Gunned the bike from the start, and didn't stop until I made it there. The Kaza to Tabo section is quite tricky, with random stones falling in front of you all the time. I vented my frustration on the bike, just stood on the pegs and sent it, all be damned. It is very surprising that the bike made it to Tabo in one piece.

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-36-kaza-tabo.jpeg

I found a lovely Zostel homestay in Tabo, build at a fantastic location, right next to the Spiti river.

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-37-tabo-spiti.jpeg

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-38-tabo-spiti.jpeg

The owner was one hell of a guy too, owned a bunch of apple farms, dressed like a poor villager, and was also a primary school teacher. He told us fascinating stories of life in Tabo, how to buy a car he had to go all the way to Solan, a multi-day trip in those days, and how he used to ride his 350 Bullet in the mountains like a madman when young. Tabo is an unbelievably beautiful place, but that beauty is the beauty of treacherous nature. The reason it's beautiful is because humans haven't destroyed it yet. Humans haven't destroyed it yet because humans can barely survive in that harsh environment.

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-40-tabo-dining-hall.jpeg

It was a lovely evening in the dining hall warmed by the traditional wood heater and it was a great night.

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-39-tabo-monastry.jpeg

Day 8: 22 Oct, Tabo - Nako - Pooh - Sarahan, 237 kms, 10 hours

During every trip in the mountains a point comes where you question your life choices. Why are you going back to your stupid job, when you could just keep riding forever? The early morning in Nako when I went and sat next to the Spiti river was that point for me. I've had similar points in the past, almost quit my job after Ladakh, actually quit my job after Bhutan. It was heartbreaking to leave Tabo, but it had to be done. The weather forecast said it was going to snow again tomorrow. We trusted the weather forecast now.

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-42-tabo-mountain.jpeg

As soon as we got out of Tabo, we got stuck behind a giant army convoy of trucks. Ate a ton of dust and diesel fumes, but got ahead of them all somehow. There was some JCB work going on again to widen the road, but some CO was passing through, and the work was stopped temporarily to let him pass. We, of course, tagged along.

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-43-tabo-nako-work.jpeg

Malling nala was sketchy again, but this time because another army convoy was passing in the opposite direction to us, and we were stopped right under a ledge of rock that looked like it could fall off at any moment. Those were some nervous few minutes. On the Kaza to Tabo section, two of my friends had been hit by stones falling off the mountains, one on the head, other on the arm. Luckily both were small stones, and gear saved them in each occasion. But it's justified to be scared in these areas, it's good to be scared. The CO helped us get out of Malling nala too, the army giveth and the army taketh away I guess.

I again made full use of the newly laid roads around Khab, and enjoyed the hairpins to bits. I enjoyed them so much that the rear brake faded into nothingness, never had that experience before, stomp on the pedal and it just keeps going down without doing anything. Then later the bike showed the check engine light warning, followed by the ABS warning, and finally the battery warning. No idea what was going on, I just kept riding.

Our original plan was to stay at Rampur again, but the hotels were all booked, again. We didn't want to enjoy PWD's famous hospitality for a second time, so took a new route to a new hill station, Sarahan. Got a couple of rooms in the local Himachal tourism hotel, where the views were nice, and the ceiling was full of rats partying all night.

Day 9: 23 Oct, Sarahan - Shimla - Nalagarh - Nangal, 284 kms, 11 hours

The sadness of the trip ending was upon us. From our room we could see that the mountains in the distance were again covered in mist. I felt cold just looking at them. It was a good thing we were not in Spiti, but it was a bad thing we were not in Spiti.

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-47-sarahan.jpeg

The famous Bhima Kali Mandir was right next to us, so we all went there. The temple was less interesting than the sign outside it, but then again I'm not a religious guy.

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-45-mandir-sign-nudes.jpeg

Nothing to do now but ride. We crossed the Shimla nightmare again, and then lost our way a bit. By this time it was already dusk, and the real nightmare began. The tiny and broken roads of the Shimla - Narkanda section were now covered in giant trucks. Ate some more dust and diesel, and finally made it to Nalagarh. We were all tired and irritated by this point, every part of our body was in pain. We had been riding on excitement and adrenaline this whole time, but the supply was running out now that the trip was ending.

Made it back home just before the heavens opened up and it rained like hell for hours and hours. After months of thinking and planning, we had finally done Spiti, or had we? We had done only the easy parts of Spiti, and they had destroyed us. This was mostly because of our Interceptors, they are fun in the mountains, but so damn tiring. The suspension is bad, the weight doesn't help, and the Pirellis are next to useless in snow/slush.

Hello Xpulse, time to wake up.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 27th October 2021 at 13:50. Reason: Edited: Removed alcohol/hash. Thanks for understanding.
RiderZone is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 16:22   #38
BHPian

Quote:
[i][b] After months of thinking and planning, we had finally done Spiti, or had we? .
The same question has made me go back there twice after the first trip, latest this summer. A month earlier and you could have perhaps done the entire circuit, I am now hoping / planning to do the trip again on motorcycle (the previous 3 trips were all on XUV 500). Spectacular photos and great writing, wish I was with you
A350 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 16:13   #39
BHPian

I was in Spiti from 12th to 16th Oct. I escaped from Spiti on 16th via Kaza Manali route as it was going to snow due to western disturbance.

16th Oct was the last day that Kaza-Manali route was open. Himachal Pradesh road transport actually stopped service the day before. So everyone including my Spiti cab driver was serious that you should leave before snowfall.

The road to Hikkim was recently black topped with no guard rails. Hence, they might have closed it. I felt sorry for the bikers who I saw on Manali-Kaza route going to Kaza amid this western disturbance. The road condition is very bad post Losar till you reach Rohtang road. Wish BRO completes this road.
rst89 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 23:39   #40
BHPian

Small update on the Inty:

1. Leg guard: I was looking for a used leg guard for a while, the official RE one, but no one was selling. Got a new one from the store for 3100 bucks, slightly cheaper than what the official site says they should cost.

Decided to fit them myself, and it was quite a task, at least some of the shapes my body had to make counted as yoga. Had to remove the bash plate, pain to do without a lift. I first fit the leg guard with the spacers that were already in there, but realized that the thread engagement was not enough.

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-img_20211020_09460501.jpeg

Of course I had already put the bash plate back in, so that was fun disassembling it all back out. Removed one of the spacers, and that felt better. The leg guard was fit before the Spiti trip, because I was sure I was going to drop it, which I did, and it did its job.

2. Grip foam: The stock handlebar grips on the Interceptor are weirdly thin. Combined with the "manly" design of placing the brake and clutch levers a million kilometers away, my hands were getting a bit painful.

Picked up some grip foam from a nearby shop for an astronomical sum of 30 bucks, with fitment done by a dude for another massive hit of 10 bucks. But on day 1 of the Spiti trip I had some major pain in my right hand, which I thought was because of the grips, so cut them off.

Turns out I was mistaken, the pain was because of the stupid lever design and placement by RE. I'll go and buy another pair of these lovely grips soon.

2. Service: The bike had completed some 8200 kms, and the service is supposed to be at 10000, but with the punishment it took in Spiti, decided to get the service done early, just to be "nice".

Also decided to experiment with a different oil, for no good reason. Bought some Motul 7100, if it can cool the hellhole that's the KTM 390 engine, it will do the Interceptor just fine. Decided on the Motul because it was cheaper than Silkolene, and easier to get. Bought it direct from Javed's bike point in Chandigarh.

Oil and oil filter were changed at the excellent RE Una service center.

Cost of oil (3.1L, with 1L extra for future use): 2625.
Cost of service (only charged for oil filter): 450

Total damage: 3075

No other niggles, bike runs like a dream. The rear brake lever was bent after the fall in Spiti, bent it back to glory myself. Even after my best attempts, the front fork seals are not leaking, so I am not going to put in the heavier oil yet.

I specifically got an HDFC credit card after seeing some good offers on it on Amazon, to buy the Powerage exhaust, and since the day I've got it HDFC credit card offers have disappeared from Amazon, of course.

Apart from the exhaust, only other plan is to buy the MK Designs pillion footpeg relocator kit. My friend got a similar product on his Inty, and it's mega. The tires are about to die, maybe 1000 kms more, need to start hunting, or maybe RE launches some alloys with the 650 cruiser and I can plonk them in, get some 17 rubber. Pipe dreams eh?
RiderZone is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 09:13   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... get some 17 rubber. Pipe dreams eh?
An excellent and engaging update as always

This dream of yours is rather easy to achieve. Plonk a meteor alloy at the rear. Its a direct fit... zero jugaad

For the front, get the rim for the Himalayan or the impulse and get the same laced on the stock hub.

Mission accomplished! @man of steel saar on this forum has done the exact same thing and is super happy with the setup. I too have ordered the meteor rear and am getting the duke alloy fitted at the front. Should be all done before the end of this month for sure
Urban_Nomad is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 12:50   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
I too have ordered the meteor rear and am getting the duke alloy fitted at the front. Should be all done before the end of this month for sure
Interesting! The rear Meteor alloy looks very tempting, but I don't want to get into the hassle of lacing spokes, especially since the primary purpose of doing this conversion would be the tubeless-ness, which spokes won't do.

The Duke alloy idea sounds fun, they are pretty lightweight too aren't they? Waiting for the update from you about how easy/hard the conversion is.

Fact is that after the trip I've realised that Inty is only fun on the highways, it's just too much effort to take it on bad roads, even twisties. Of course it works, but that opens a whole new can of worms of modifications to make it work properly. I would rather buy a 390 Adv or something like that for the gnarly stuff, and leave the Inty as stock as possible for those highway runs.

Trying to make one bike do all usually ends in tears. Interceptor is a flawed bike, but I prefer the charm of those flaws to forcing it to be something it's not.
RiderZone is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 18:46   #43
Senior - BHPian

Agree with you. I'm not trying to make the bike do multiple things though. Its a road only bike. By that extension, its a must that the bike must handle well. An arrow straight Highway + motorcycle for me is a bad concept and must be endured only for a promise of gorgeous twisty tarmac at the end

I wouldn't say that the interceptor handles poorly. Its alright. 18 in wheels and also lack of any performance oriented rubber in these sizes is kind of a deal breaker for me

Thus far, whatever 17 inch conversions I've come across have one thing in common - handling improves leaps and bounds. I remember reading somewhere that this conversion turns the bike into a fat Duke. So... a bike that looks like a million bucks and handles like the KTM? Sign me up!!

Quote:
Waiting for the update from you about how easy/hard the conversion is.
Not easy at all. Here's a video of what someone did with the dominar wheels up front. My ask is somewhat different though. I want all of my bikes original raking components to be used. So my guess is that we will be swapping out the wheel bearing for something that fits the fat interceptor axle

Video-
Urban_Nomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 15:15   #44
BHPian

10,000 km update:

1. Powerage slip-ons: Thanks to the recommendation by MadRasTan4986, I picked up the Powerage short chrome exhaust from Amazon with a nice HDFC discount, plus used some vouchers for a total cost of roughly 12000 bucks. Initially I thought they were too loud, but after using them for about 2500 kms I'm really in love. The sound party is mainly for the rider, others on the road do not notice it so much. This exhaust checked all the boxes for me:

a. Must not be obnoxiously loud
b. Must look stock
c. Most importantly, must not heat up like the stock exhaust

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-chail-2.jpeg

I haven't bothered to check the sound without baffles, I'm happy with things the way they are. Installed them myself in about half an hour, it took that long because the left header had a lot of rust inside which I cleaned as best I could with some WD40. The delivery from Amazon was extremely quick, packing was top notch, and the product itself is fantastic. I haven't noticed any power or weight improvements, but I wasn't looking for any either. Highly recommended for people who are looking for a cheap and easy way to make their Inty a bit more fun.

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-header-rust-interceptor.jpeg

Made a video of the sound, but it doesn't really do justice to the experience. Since I refuse to attach a camera to my helmet, here's the next best thing: Powerage sound.zip

2. MK Designs Pillion Footrest Extender:

Although I don't take pillions often, this upgrade was absolutely essential to take them even for short distances. Bought it directly from their site, delivery was quick, and I easily installed them myself. There are cheaper options in the market, but this being "branded" felt a bit more trustworthy, they are beefy and well made. These make a significant difference to pillion comfort, must-have if you carry passengers and plan to not make enemies out of them.

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-footpeg-pillion.jpeg

3. Goth grips:

I mentioned in my previous posts that with my hand position, the throttle kept slipping and I had to hold on real hard, which caused severe pain in the hand and wrist. Grip Puppies and similar options online felt overpriced to me, so picked up these garbage grips for 40 bucks. They look odd, and are very uncomfortable to use without gloves, almost like a forced acupuncture session, but have solved the problem of throttle slipping away. Whatever works is good enough for me.

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-goth-grips.jpeg

4. Other random updates:

Only other change in the bike is that I removed the ZANA logo from the backrest. I looks slightly less ugly now, but it's functional, I haven't found a better replacement, and I got this one for free.

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-no-zana.jpeg

About the Motul 7100 engine oil, it has made no difference to the bike, at all. Engine and transmission smoothness is the same, so is the heat. Next time I won't bother with spending extra on this and just go with the Liquid Gun stuff, in spite of the stupid name.

The BMC air filter is working fine, it was cleaned during service and reinserted. With the Powerage, the induction roar is almost completely masked by the exhaust note, so this change makes even less sense now. Will stick to stock air filter if the BMC dies.

The tires are definitely dead now, especially the rear, but I'll change both and see if the wobble is fixed. Like I said in the previous posts, I was waiting for RE to launch the 650 based cruiser so I can steal the alloys from it and fix it on the Inty, then buy an appropriate set of tires, but who knows when that's going to happen. I do not want to do any alloy jugaad, do not have the patience. Need to hunt around, but most likely I'll just buy the stock Ceats, I like cheap things.

5. Niggles:

There's only one problem, at high altitudes, even relatively modest ones near Shimla, as soon as I pull the clutch in to downshift on a corner, the revs drop and the engine stalls. Seems to be a problem with the idle at low oxygen concentrations. With throttle control it's not difficult to ride around this issue, but it's annoying. Perhaps the air filter or the exhaust is the cause, but I do not know. I tried leaving the bike to cool down, then starting it without throttle and leaving it there for 15 minutes so the ECU could "acclimatize" to the higher altitude, made no difference. Any suggestions for a fix are welcome.

Overall, it's an absolute thing of beauty. I take it out every weekend, and every weekend it makes me smile. It's a pleasure to own and live with this machine, I'm lucky to have had the chance.

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-chail.jpeg

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-garib-das.jpeg

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-gobind-sagar.jpeg
RiderZone is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 13:05   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[u][b]10,000 km update:
The tires are definitely dead now, especially the rear, but I'll change both and see if the wobble is fixed. Like I said in the previous posts, I was waiting for RE to launch the 650 based cruiser so I can steal the alloys from it and fix it on the Inty, then buy an appropriate set of tires, but who knows when that's going to happen. I do not want to do any alloy jugaad, do not have the patience. Need to hunt around, but most likely I'll just buy the stock Ceats,
Get the 17 inch conversion already. Rear alloy from the meteor, use the rear wheel of either the Himalayan or impulse for the front. Zero jugaad, pakka kaam! Opens up a world of tyre options… an important factor given that this is the first point of contact for your 200 plus kilo motorcycle. And I’m sure the looks of this staggered setup wouldn’t bother u. If looks mattered to u, that backrest never would’ve made its way onto this bike
Urban_Nomad is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks