Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2021, 21:30   #31
BHPian

Re: How soon did you outgrow your two-wheeler?

I ride my 2004 royal enfield electra with the cast iron block almost daily.
Still puts a smile on my face like nothing else! It’s slow, doesn’t have any features like fuel display, or navigation, I think the speedometer is also broken but in terms of what I want from a motorcycle, there is hardly anything which comes close to it.
I dont even want to consider buying another motorcycle.
Kapany is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2021, 21:32   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amartyasg View Post
Its funny, I think bikes just tug at hearstrings differently to cars.
So true!

Quote:
I bought my first bike, a 2019 Yamaha R15 V3.0 in March 2019. My riding partners and colleagues at the time had a 2016 Duke 390, a 2019 RC390, a 2018 Dominar D400 and a 2019 TVS RR310.

And I entirely blame them for spoiling me by letting me ride their bikes, or just pulling away from me like I was stationary!
Wow, that's so me, haha! The only bikes my Gixxer can leave behind in the dust are the Enfield's, nothing else!

Quote:
So fast forward another year,.....I feel I appreciate the R15 more, and its breadth of capabilities more, now that I have the Duke to satisfy my speed/acceleration urges.
I really want to get myself a used Duke 390 (pre facelift), but I'll never be able to convince my family why I'd need another bike, just less than a year after getting one, hehe!

Quote:
So yeah, in conclusion, I outgrew my R15 in about 10 months, but after getting my second bike (for less than I bought the R15 new) I like it more. I had considered selling it to fund the Duke, but that never happened. I want to keep both now!
Enjoy riding both for many years to come! They're each fabulous machines in their own right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shravansp24 View Post
P.S. I have done test rides on a duke 390, dominar 400, ninja 300 and a RE classic 350 before getting the R15 and apart from classic 350, rest all felt overpowered for my needs and I had more joy with frequent shifts and full throttles on my tiny little engines
True, sometimes, I feel that riding a 150 is much more relaxing than taking on a 350+ cc motorcycle. Every time I ride my riding bud's Dominar 400, I'm taken by surprise at the insane acceleration and the power available on tap with just a little twist of the right wrist.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 00:17   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
what was the story behind selling your motorcycle in a time frame that you didn’t quite expect, or how soon did the bug to move onto something that satiates the soul start biting you? Did you laterally upgrade, or exchange, or did you learn to deal and live with it, and were just wise with your money? Share your tale of outgrowing your motorcycle.
I started out in 2004 with my Honda Unicorn and the bike fulfilled pretty much every expectation I had from it and after it got a bit boring, I ended up customising it to my needs and ideas.

How soon did you outgrow your two-wheeler?-dsc00084.jpgHow soon did you outgrow your two-wheeler?-3242344.jpg

After the arrival of the Yamaha R15, I wanted to experience the latest motorcycling tech that was on offer: Liquid Cooling, Delta frame, Fuel Injection. It was also probably the first fully faired bike for the masses and an excellent one at that. I learnt a good deal of cornering and braking details from the R15 and it was quite decent on the touring front too.

How soon did you outgrow your two-wheeler?-r155.jpg

Sometime in 2010, I met with a bad accident with the R15, as there was a taxi overtaking another taxi in the ghats in my lane and I had no choice but to let go of the motorcycle and reduce the damage to myself. With all the riding gear, I escaped with just a bruise on my knee. Even after the bike was repaired, it just wasn't the same anymore and I decided to part with it and move on to a more touring friendly setup, the CBR250R.

How soon did you outgrow your two-wheeler?-dsc_6148.jpg

This bike was/is a do it all, enough power and grunt for cross country touring, even two up riding, great fuel economy, not so expensive on the pocket to maintain and a fantastic bike overall. Customised it to my hearts content with Braided Brake lines, Petal Rotor, even a Steering Damper etc.

How soon did you outgrow your two-wheeler?-p2150423.jpg

After nearly three years, I decided to go for the Street Triple, for the sound and first crack at the SBK dream. This bike lived up to all of my expectations and so much so, that I went for the same bike again, in Germany, even though I had access to nearly every make and model on the planet.

How soon did you outgrow your two-wheeler?-img_20141126_133924.jpgHow soon did you outgrow your two-wheeler?-img20200319wa0023-cropped.jpg

I'm yet to outgrow the Street Triple and if and when I do, it'll purely be because of wanting to try something different or it might just be an addition to the garage in the form of a Classic.

Coming to your dilemma, I would say go ahead with the 390 Adv plans, as clearly your riding style and terrains will be complimented well by it. As you have said, the Gixxer 155 is a mixed bag, where it does all things well, but only decently and there is no real USP of the bike. I don't see much value added if you do try to customise your current bike, as the whole platform is very different

Last edited by hifisharu : 18th November 2021 at 00:18.
hifisharu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 00:38   #34
BANNED

Man does not outgrow motorcycle, man grows old and needs bigger and faster motorcycle to keep pace with what he once was.

~A crude translation from the lost archives.

My riding has plummeted to the point that I'd barely clocked 10k KM's this year combining all my Motorcycles whereas I'd clocked 20k combined on both cars. So I doubt I'm still worthy of calling myself a biker and have toyed with the idea of buying something that can give me joy even while clocking abysmal miles on it.

Now even if by some force of nature I do choose that path I'd not kid myself by saying that I did outgrow my existing motorcycles, it is just that I am not who I once was and need the extra oomph to reminisce my glory days for as long as I possibly can.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 01:31   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
It depends on a lot of factors, your age, what you ride, where you ride and with whom you ride.
In my opinion, perfectly summed up. I would just add, how much you can spare to splurge. What we want to achieve out of motorcycling keeps changing as well depending on people you speak to, content you watch on internet and content creators you end up liking.

I don't know why, but I personally have not been a lone rider. Motorcycling for me has had a big social aspect to it. It is like kids discussing for hours about what they fantasize around motorcycling and then planning, plotting and working to make them true. It just becomes a part of your life, a journey to a fantasy destination which can be any specific motorcycle or that dream bike trip or that fancy helmet. When you are into anything to this extent, you spend a lot of time thinking and dreaming and well, that fantasy destination keeps changing especially if you end up reaching there.

I recently rode a 390 ADV and boy has it screwed my head. Now, I want an ADV too.

CHEERS!!

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 09:48   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue View Post
Does this have anything to do with the new Hypermotard RVE/SP which was launched recently?
That is high on the list at the moment and for a change I am looking at Italians as well and not sticking to Japanese like I used too (no_fear and neil.jericho's words got me thinking in this direction).

I have been racking my brain on the next purchase and though I would love too own a proper faired liter like a GSXR 1000 or a BMW S1000RR I know I won't enjoy riding these extreme (riding position wise) in the current traffic situation around Mumbai.

So, naked motorcycles is what I am eyeing now. The naked versions of the liter class offering though produce torque earlier in the rev range still you need to give the beans to enjoy the full potential. Also, the wind blast on any naked is an issue as you already know and so I am now of the opinion that the liter class naked's or the ones producing over 130 bhp won't suit my requirements.

That is where the Hypermotard comes in the equation just the right amount of power and the most important thing is 80% of the 96nm of torque is available below 4k rpm. I am going to take my time on this and start taking test rides of the offerings as the longer I think the clearer my list gets and I don't want to end up again like my purchase of the N650, where the ownership just lasted for 18 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
In my opinion, perfectly summed up. I would just add, how much you can spare to splurge. What we want to achieve out of motorcycling keeps changing as well depending on people you speak to, content you watch on internet and content creators you end up liking.
The amount one will have to spare to splurge will just go up as exotic the bike gets. Riding gear like Jackets, Helmets can go into lacs as If you own a premium bike most will have the urge to get a premium lid like Arai, Shoei. Its like a sink hole and one has to keep a latch on their wallet to not overspend.

And the biggest influence all these expenses will have is the riding circle/friends you are part off.
SnS_12 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 10:49   #37
BHPian

Quite an interesting read. Here's my story:
2009 - got my uncle's RXG, have it with me till date. Its a brilliant bike and has bulletproof reliability. Terrible brakes, lights and seat, but the acceleration, sound and vibrations bring a smile to your face. Will be keeping this one. Its 21 years old and must've done over a lac kilometers so far.

2013 - Purchased my first bike with my own money. Got a Yamaha SZ-R. Primary use was commuting and the bike served me well. Quite a no nonsense bike. Rode it for 33,000 kms in 4 years. Sold it off in 2017 to get an Activa at home.

2018 - I was mighty bored of commuting on the Activa. Picked up an Apache RTR 200, carb version. Brilliant bike. Period. Have done close to 30k kms in 3 years. Lots of long rides and good memories on this bike.

2021 - Looking for an upgrade. Want a more comfortable tourer. Don't want to sell the RTR but I know that I won't be able to do justice to it if I decide to keep it.
jomson13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 11:49   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomson13 View Post
Have done close to 30k kms in 3 years. Lots of long rides and good memories on this bike.
30k in 3 years is a LOT of riding! Brilliant!
GoBlue is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 12:51   #39
Senior - BHPian

Honda Activa 125 BS6, bought in November 2020 and sold October 2021. Very good, smooth scooter, got bored of it. Now looking for something else in the next couple of months. Let’s see how that rolls.

Cheers
Old 18th November 2021, 13:20   #40
BHPian

Sharing the thoughts of a new bike owner.

I am currently in the "rookie" stage of owning (not riding) a motorcycle (Husqvarna Vitpilen 250, got it in June 2021) but reading some of the above posts, I feel that at some point in my ownership, I might feel that I need an upgrade.

Well, I rode the Z900 on Pune-Bangalore highway and I felt like I was on the seventh heaven. Too much of power along with swift and confident handling (Honestly I thought I'd ride it like an 18 year old riding a moped for the first time). Took me no time in getting familiar to the bike. And the sound of the inline-4 might have almost convinced me, until I had to switch back to my bike. That's when the reality hit me and I was faced with these questions
  • The husky can comfortably cruise at 80-90kmph (can do triple digits but we'll leave it at the highway limit), so can the z900 (obviously). Why shift ?
  • Ok so the pull is breath-taking, agreed. But how many times am I going to be able to "send -it" before I attract unwanted attention (squids) ?
  • How many times am I even going to pull it off in daily commutes, keeping the ever increasing traffic in mind ?

Maybe sometime in the future I might keep a second bike (higher displacement) for fun weekend rides or long rides. But as of now, I might just focus on extracting every bit of juice that this bike has to offer.

How soon did you outgrow your two-wheeler?-dsc00623_cropped.jpg
(PS: review coming in soon)

Last edited by SenPai_GTi : 18th November 2021 at 13:21.
SenPai_GTi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 15:02   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Now even if by some force of nature I do choose that path I'd not kid myself by saying that I did outgrow my existing motorcycles, it is just that I am not who I once was and need the extra oomph to reminisce my glory days for as long as I possibly can.
When I bought my XPulse as my first vehicle back in 2020 - I knew that I would likely upgrade sooner rather than later. Now don't get me wrong, it's a fine motorcycle - and I see no problem if I only had that motorcycle to ride for the rest of my life.

However I've noticed a disconnect between the motorcycle and me. I bought it because it was tame and extremely versatile. But in the months of riding it (albeit very low kms actually ridden) - I've noticed that it does not mesh with my riding style. It's eager and wants to be ridden hard. I'm fat and slow and want to take it easy. It's extremely comfortable offroad and I've discovered that I'm not.

If anything, it's not that I've outgrown my motorcycle, but rather I've failed to grow up to its potential.

So it's likely I will upgrade to a motorcycle that's probably more torquey, maybe even more powerful, to satisfy my inner child - but I'll continue to ride slowly and enjoy the cruise.

Last edited by playingpossum : 18th November 2021 at 15:14.
playingpossum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 16:18   #42
BHPian

Ever since the motorcycle bug bit me in my teens, I have never woken up. In spite of driving cars, my first love has always been between two wheels. So no question of outgrowing. I find it a bit strange to ask this question in a motorcycle forum.
Old 19th November 2021, 11:59   #43
BHPian

I'm not a biker. So don't listen to a word I say.

My first bike was an LML Freedom bought in high school 18 years ago. I've since then moved on to cars for my road trips.

But I still use it today for running errands. And because it's my first and has been with me for so long, I feel a sense of familiarity that isn't there with any new bike. So I guess I haven't outgrown it yet.

However I'm looking to add another bike. I guess when I do buy it you can say that I outgrew this one.

Here's that thread:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post4771057 (Midsize Cruiser motorcycle for commuting)
evil_grin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2021, 16:24   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Interesting thread the points you bring up about your Gixxer are exactly why I tell people interested in biking to start by atleast looking at an MT-15.
Entirely agree. I don't think Gixxer is a good tourer as such. It's a good bike; a good commuter/city bike for a single rider. Good enough for 30-45 mins rides, unless one is a college kid.

Maybe, when OP had bought, he never really thought through the touring part, or, never been to a proper tour. I don't think it was 'outgrowing', it was a bit of short-sightedness or inexperience.

I have ridden Pulsars since 2005. I learned to ride on Pulsar and kept riding them until 2014 November. When I moved to Gurgaon and used to do an NH8 ride every day to the office, that's when I outgrew the Pulsar. It wasn't fast enough and wasn't balanced enough. While my Pulsar has done three digits, I was most comfortable riding it under 70, given its braking and CoG.

The next bike wasn't to be a Pulsar. I wanted a bike for 75-80ish with better braking, balance, and FE. Just a commuter as my bike never had any other use. Gixxer has done the duty pretty well for that, although it is low running.

Besides, I don't think I'll buy another bike in my life. An electric scooter? Maybe.
atnyia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2021, 16:39   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Kinetic Honda = 6 months or so. Loved it when it was new.

Attachment 2232891
Love flannel checks myself. Still my favourite winter shirts.

On topic, I outgrew my bikes when I started cycling again.

Cheers, Doc

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks