Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2021, 02:55   #1
BHPian

How soon did you outgrow your two-wheeler?

We already have a thread on cars here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-your-car.html (When did you grow tired of your car?)

But two wheelers, especially bikes, aren’t as expensive as cars (well, the majority that ply on our roads aren’t - and thankfully!), and for a reasonably well to do individual, the depreciation doesn’t hit as hard as it does when selling a car (generally speaking or comparing; disclaimer: I could be totally wrong here, take it with a pinch of salt ). Little did I foresee that I’d be aspiring to travel the world on two wheels someday. A little bit of backstory -

It’s been exactly 9 months since I got my Gixxer SF 155 (yes, I got her one day after Valentine’s Day), and I feel that I have exploited 90% of her potential (the remaining 10% is something that I can only do on a track, which is a far cry for me). I’ve never been a biker before getting my two wheeler license, but once I did, there was no turning back.

BUT, within 6 months, I felt quite bored with the Gixxer. A major factor in my feeling this way was this life changing group ride I undertook with BHP-ian @nitinkbhaskar. That ride gave me a completely new perspective about what type of motorcycle I was truly yearning for deep inside. As far as I was concerned, I preferred fully faired bikes (I couldn’t afford the R15 V3, so went for the next best thing. Like they say, you’ll never be happy when you have to “settle” for something, but I never knew that the itch for something more substantial would be this prevalent!).

The fact that ADV’s and Tourers grew on me was something that I attribute to my BHP-ian friend’s Reyah, the baby BMW GS!

How soon did you outgrow your two-wheeler?-fcc46ede31c24ce896db715906c0a32e.jpeg

Screenshot of BHP-ian @nitinkbhaskar’s post

Subsequent rides with another friend on his Dominar 400 only drove the final nail into the coffin. The fact that I could, for my height and inclinations, stand on the foot pegs of some motorcycles, makes me rejoice in watching countless YouTube videos of 390 Adventure’s, Himalayan’s, Xpulse’s, Dominar’s and more. Even the Duke 390 tugs at my heart now, when once upon a time I was afraid of its infamous hooligan-like nature. I’m thirsty and hungry for more, and I am thirsty and hungry big time - and this makes me wonder about something that I’m quite unsure about yet. Do I sell or keep my Gixxer for longer? For all her positive points, I’m left with a feeling of dissatisfaction at the end of the day. Don’t get me wrong, I love her, but I haven’t even given her a proper review on our forum yet!

I feel that the Gixxer is a sort of neither-here-nor-there motorcycle, though being touted as a sports tourer. It isn’t as sporty as one would expect or like it to be, and it’s weird ergonomics sort of hurt my chest (I have a condition). It’s better than some Naked 200cc motorcycles out there (top speed wise), but that’s about the only thing going for it; what with the useless wind deflector, that goes for a toss too.

All this rambling, what’s the point, you ask? Well, folks, that leads us to my question for you - what was the story behind selling your motorcycle in a time frame that you didn’t quite expect, or how soon did the bug to move onto something that satiates the soul start biting you? Did you laterally upgrade, or exchange, or did you learn to deal and live with it, and were just wise with your money? Share your tale of outgrowing your motorcycle.

Last edited by TheHelix0202 : 15th November 2021 at 03:05.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 07:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: How soon did you outgrow your two-wheeler?

Interesting thread the points you bring up about your Gixxer are exactly why I tell people interested in biking to start by atleast looking at an MT-15. Something with a proper frame, an engine and transmission matched perfectly to extract the most out of each other and bang-on ergonomics not just in terms of the rider triangle but also in terms of where the weight is and how strategically it is concentrated.

When I started learning how to ride a bike it was on an FZ-16 1st gen which I rented for a couple of months. Within 1 week on my first 30km ride, I knew that if I were to buy a bike for myself, it would have to be something better. Rode the R15 but back then the ergos were better suited for shorter riders, checked out the Ninja 300, loved it (although I was still a bit of a noob to understand exactly what I wanted and what to look out for), decided to test ride the RC390 parked in the same showroom and I was simply blown away. Bought the bike and have cherished every year of ownership with it.

That said, few instances have changed my view on motorcycle ownership. I got into two major accidents over my 5 year 45k kms ownership of the bike. With neither accident being my fault and each putting myself out of form for about a year, when the pandemic ended and I decided to start riding again, I realized that I have outgrown the inherent nature of the RC390; it begs to be pushed it feels rewarding when you dance with it and get it right. It feels tasking to ride it slowly and now I have too much PTSD of sorts after those two accidents that I have been in that I no longer have the will to put up with the annoying moments of riding it at low speeds since I am not able to enjoy those few moments when it can be pushed. Keeping this in mind, I am considering renting a space and just converting it to a track-use only machine in the near future and getting myself something like a used Impulse 150 for city commutes (until we get some proper supermotos in India ). I used to dream about upgrading to a Daytona or an 848 evo but it seems like those dreams will have to be shelved until I am able to frequent a track that will allow me to extract more out of the bike since I have outgrown the desire to ride my favorite type of bike on the streets of India.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 15th November 2021 at 07:32.
IshaanIan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 08:24   #3
BHPian

I think there are multiple factors that determine how fast you outgrow a motorcycle. Primarily it depends on what you want from your bike and how much money you are willing to spend . I purchased my very first bike,a unicorn 150 in 2012. I was very happy with it for the first 5-6 years. I did many rides with friends to almost all the major tourist spots in south India. As we kept on venturing out to locations further away from my home, I found it difficult to keep up with the bigger bikes in my group. This was a period when i felt i needed to upgrade, but then financial restrictions didn't allow me. So I stuck with the unicorn. Now its almost 10 years old and not worth more than 25-30k at most. So I am not worried about it being damaged or stolen I have been taking it to off-road trails where my friends with Himalayans and Dominars wont dare due to fear of their bikes getting damaged. Even if i drop my bike, i am sure it won't cost me anything more than a 1000 rupees to get it fixed. I enjoy being completely stress free on travels. What i am saying is, dont let peer pressure compel you into spending money that you don't have. Yes a big bike will be a lot more fun, but make sure you have the financial means to live with it. There is no point in getting a big bike, if you end up more time worrying about it than actually enjoying it. IMHO, if you really want to upgrade and your pocket allows, get a twin cylinder. It will satisfy most of your needs and you wont get bored of it quickly like the suzuki. Keep your old bike as a beater bike for daily use and use the new one as a weekend toy. With the way fuel prices are going, you will definitely regret selling your 155 cc. Cheers
windrider is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 10:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

I out-grew my 2 wheeler very fast.

A Royal Enfield, early 1990s version. Infact it wasn't even mine, it was a hand-down from senior generation. Rode it for about 3 years in graduate college.

Thereafter, never owned a two wheeler for last 18years. Moved onto cars, onto third one right now.
AutoNoob is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 10:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
It’s been exactly 9 months since I got my Gixxer SF 155 (yes, I got her one day after Valentine’s Day), and I feel that I have exploited 90% of her potential (the remaining 10% is something that I can only do on a track, which is a far cry for me). I’ve never been a biker before getting my two wheeler license, but once I did, there was no turning back.

BUT, within 6 months, I felt quite bored with the Gixxer.
I dont think you are being fair to the GIXXER. All said and done, Gixxer is a commuter bike and you are comparing it with much more expensive bikes, almost 3x its price.

Its very natural to want a Samsung S series when you are using the J Series. If you can afford, go ahead and upgrade without guilt .
2000rpm is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 11:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

The general automotive scene is (I mean generic & we all have to remember exceptions in every scenario), graduate -> find a job -> buy a motorcycle, become biker -> tour for sometime -> get married -> bike for some more -> buy a car, become an auto enthusiast -> graduate. Only difference is that the second graduation happens with a child.

The exceptions are very very rare folks like below
Name:  NandakumarCF12jun2014.jpg
Views: 968
Size:  102.4 KB

Name:  DSC01980.JPG
Views: 955
Size:  70.9 KB

How soon did you outgrow your two-wheeler?-maxresdefault.jpg

Name:  136268.jpg
Views: 949
Size:  92.4 KB

And there're some exceptions among the exceptions who neither fall into this quadrant nor the other!! May be a little confused souls like me. Where the enthusiasm started after a job like a normal guy, but self dissuaded staying away from motorcycles. Got married & bought a car like a normal guy, but somewhere lunacy sprung & went back to motorcycling again!!

Continued from where it was left after a break of 5 years with "The Rx100"!! Did some rides here & there, longest was Chennai - Munnar - Chennai for xBhp G2G in 2010, which is when Rx told me...(pls don't ask if the bike can speak...I can listen)

Stop pushing me around...you moron!!

It was the enlightenment!! A glowing beam said that something out there is seeking for me & thus the search commenced.

2011 Jun is when the motorcycle found me!! It was in form of Red CBR 250R.

It was my second new motorcycle out of showroom; it took me to new places that I haven't been; first time across the state of TN, PY, KL, KA, GA, MH, GJ, RJ, DD, DL, UP, HR, BR, JH, MP, WB, OD, TS & AP!! And today when I look back I say holy crap

Fast forward 2021 (almost 2022)...
Can the CBR take to places? Hell yes!!

Do I have the drive to ride that long? Hell yes!!

Will I do it? Hell yes!!

On CBR 250R? This is something that I've been pondering for last 4+ years.

Is it time to upgrade? Hell...!! Wish I could say yes, but there're a lot of things in personal life that also makes me ponder...
Whether should I? ???

Whether is it worth? ???

I'm still seeking answers...

Last edited by aargee : 15th November 2021 at 11:45.
aargee is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 12:30   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: How soon did you outgrow your two-wheeler?

Quote:
All this rambling, what’s the point, you ask? Well, folks, that leads us to my question for you - what was the story behind selling your motorcycle in a time frame that you didn’t quite expect, or how soon did the bug to move onto something that satiates the soul start biting you? Did you laterally upgrade, or exchange, or did you learn to deal and live with it, and were just wise with your money? Share your tale of outgrowing your motorcycle.
Kinetic Honda = 6 months or so. Loved it when it was new. That feeling of your own personal vehicle was wow, and this was also my first two-wheeler! Within a couple of months though, found the transmission to be slow (although smooth) and grip levels very okay. Truth be told, friends bought Yamaha RX100s and my heart was sold on the motorcycle's acceleration, style & exhaust note. Asked Dad, he agreed to the RX100 swap and the scooter was sold ASAP. Probably my shortest ownership of any vehicle, although the RX100 didn't last long either. It got stolen at or about the 1-year mark when I'd gone to Gaiety Galaxy cinema to watch Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge.

How soon did you outgrow your two-wheeler?-p1000325.jpg

How soon did you outgrow your two-wheeler?-p1000314.jpg

How soon did you outgrow your two-wheeler?-p1000327.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 15th November 2021 at 12:34.
GTO is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 16:49   #8
BHPian

Pulsar 150: Go bored of it after 5 years, 60k kms
Duke 390: Did not get bored after 4 years, 50k kms
Xpulse: 1 year, 2000 kms, not even explored 10% of its capabilities
Interceptor 650: Few months, 4000 kms, not even started with the customization fun

How quickly you get the urge to upgrade depends on the motorcycle, and you. Small 150cc bikes are very easy to outgrow, your experience with the Gixxer will not be the same with bigger bikes, commuters are commuters after all. I would still like to ride my first gen 390, but the dude I sold it to knows its value and won't sell it back to me

In my experience anything 40 horsepower or above is beyond my capabilities as a casual rider to ever totally master and grow out of. Only reason to upgrade then is to "experience" other types of motorcycles and motorcycling. Of course there are people who change motorcycles every year, but that has more to do with Insta likes than understanding bikes.

It's a disease unfortunately, but there are worse diseases out there. If you get an ADV, you'll end up spending on all the accessories and gear needed for that type of riding. The moment you start enjoying it, you will get attracted to track riding, buy the bike, accessories and gear needed for that, and find that it's a whole other universe of excitement. Then wife asks to join in on the fun, and you buy a bike for touring, with the accessories and gear of course. It's not exactly outgrowing as it is sinking deeper into the hole you dug yourself.

I do not understand cars, so my plan for the future includes the Xpulse, the Interceptor, plus a 650 "big" bike like the Striple or CBR, plus an ADV like the Honda 500, and maybe a Yam Aerox scootie too. Then I will be certain to not want to upgrade, until it's time to go then I can buy a liter class death machine and do it in style.
RiderZone is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 17:31   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, folks, that leads us to my question for you - what was the story behind selling your motorcycle in a time frame that you didn’t quite expect, or how soon did the bug to move onto something that satiates the soul start biting you? Did you laterally upgrade, or exchange, or did you learn to deal and live with it, and were just wise with your money? Share your tale of outgrowing your motorcycle.
I have a history of owning not one but couple of two-wheelers.
Ofcourse, the reason to change or upgrade was to have something extra - be it power, fuel efficiency or simply the humble style quotient

My first bike was the Hero Puch back in my college days. Not very reliable but enjoyed it for few years, given the very good fuel efficiency.

Got bored of it, then moved to Bajaj Discover. Had very good experience, the bike offered a good combination of ride (whatever that meant in those days ) and terrific fuel efficiency. Plus, the style quotient (again, not something like the Yamaha of that era) was bit of an upgrade.

Sold that / rather outgrew the bike era, and bought my first car, the Alto LXi.
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 18:57   #10
BHPian

OP, if you have the mindspace and the money to spend on a nicer toy, I say go for it while you're still young and forming your tastes, and while ICE vehicles are still relevant.

That said, I also suggest you understand and appreciate what that little Gixxer can do in relation to the harder, better, faster, stronger bikes you desire. An upgrade in terms of cubic capacity or class of bike doesn't necessarily mean you're getting a better bike in all respects. There would be things that your gixxer could do better than a superbike (not in terms of outright performance or anything, but in terms of ease of handling, everyday manageability, and the likes). Also, there's always things to learn and inform yourself about riding better, irrespective of the bike you ride. So, I also say, don't underestimate your bike.

That out of the way....

I outgrew both by 150cc motorcycles, in terms of their road performance, fairly soon after buying them. My bikes are now utterly unsatisfactory as far as raw excitement goes. But mind you, that's not the same as not being fun. There's a variety of ways I've learned to extract my fun out of them.

Still, I've been itching to upgrade for a few years now. But having spent years attempting an assortment of antics on my present bikes, I've grown to have particular tastes and I'm not willing to settle for just anything. I also tend to hold on to the things I buy for a long time and don't want to deal with the hassles of complex, delicate, or costly things. That rules out a lot of bikes. So, I haven't found a bike that really speaks to me yet.

I still hold onto my bikes even after almost a decade, and value them because of the excellent utility they provide, for which I need not look beyond them. The Suzuki GS150R is one tough SoB of a bike that keeps on delivering (the build quality and the thoughtfulness of the design, from the PoV of practicality, are endearing), and the Hero Impulse has no equal in our market today, by my standards (Xpulse suffers from obesity). These two bikes suit me quite nicely, or maybe it's me who's become moulded around their capabilities.

Anyway, I had considered buying the Mahindra Mojo a few years ago, but the weight and front heaviness put me off. I had thought of settling for the Fazer25 or the MT15 a while back, but did not bite the bullet, though I'm now leaning towards the MT15. I'm still considering the Gixxer250. I know Suzuki builds bikes the way I want them, but I'm hoping they do something more versatile with that 250 platform.

For now, I'll wait for what 2022 brings, and in the meantime, I'll get my thrills from renting bikes.

Last edited by drt_rdr : 15th November 2021 at 19:05.
drt_rdr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 19:34   #11
BHPian

I would say that I got bored of my Bajaj Platina really fast. It was that one bike which I've learnt to drive, and for almost a year the only bike I was allowed to use before I was allowed to use a Thunderbird. I used to take the Platina everywhere, even going for 50 - 100km rides, it was my daily driver, tearing down roads at the insanely fast speeds of 50, 50kmph. It is one bike that is easy to maintain, reliable and also very fuel-efficient, everything required by a first-time biker like me.

Then, I get back on my Thunderbird, and it changed the way I viewed bikes. I was now using a bike that will take me from 0 - 45 in a split second and will maintain 80 on the highway without breaking a sweat, with enough grunt left to overtake. The suspension was enough to handle potholes with ease. After this, every opportunity I have, I would have always taken the Thunderbird. The final nail in the coffin was the restoration of my Kawasaki KB100, the bike, provided that it was running, was a hoot to drive, and extremely rev-happy, also being a much faster commuter than the Platina.

I still have all 3 bikes with me, with the Platina being the workhorse of the family, used for short travels, shopping and other uses, while the Thunderbird is the weekend leisure bike, and the KB100 being an endless money pit. With the rise in Petrol prices, the Platina now sees the most running at this time, once again being my daily driver since the past one month.
TorqueMonster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 19:40   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Well, folks, that leads us to my question for you - what was the story behind selling your motorcycle in a time frame that you didn’t quite expect, or how soon did the bug to move onto something that satiates the soul start biting you? Did you laterally upgrade, or exchange, or did you learn to deal and live with it, and were just wise with your money? Share your tale of outgrowing your motorcycle.
Well the ADV bug seems to have bitten you - all thanks to me

My first bike was Honda Stunner. Bought it when I was in college and had loads of fun. In fact, she is still with a close friend as we could never imagine selling her outside our circle.

The reason I had to let her go was that awesome torque of C500 which I experienced during a casual test ride. I knew I had to get that. However, even after riding C500, I used to adore Stunner for that super silent engine and great looks.

Then I had to shift to Bangalore and didn't want to go through hassles of RTO formalities, so bought 310GS and I am super happy with my purchase decision. In retrospect, I have enjoyed riding the most with Reyah due to amazing places she has taken me to (which I would never have imagined with my earlier bikes).

Essentially, I never got bored of any of my bikes. I think I am a sucker for riding and hence I enjoy with whatever I have & find 1 thing to stick with that ride (Stunner = looks + engine note, C500 = torque + swag, 310GS = off roading ability & super smooth cruising).

However, I do wish secretly for a Striple / Ceeber 650 down the lane.
The combination of an ADV and sports bike will be enough for me.

P.S : All my bikes were new. So no lateral upgrades for me. However, I am sure I will go via that route for my next purchase.
nitinkbhaskar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 20:48   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
the points you bring up about your Gixxer are exactly why I tell people interested in biking to start by atleast looking at an MT-15. Something with a proper frame, an engine and transmission matched perfectly to extract the most out of each other and bang-on ergonomics not just in terms of the rider triangle but also in terms of where the weight is and how strategically it is concentrated.

When I started learning how to ride a bike it was on an FZ-16 1st gen which I rented for a couple of months. Within 1 week on my first 30km ride, I knew that if I were to buy a bike for myself, it would have to be something better. Rode the R15 but back then the ergos were better suited for shorter riders,
True! I didn't have much of an option in the first hand market, and my parents were dead set against my original idea of getting a used Duke 390 or RC 200 / 390. If things had gone well, I'd have saved big bucks and got myself so much more firepower for the same amount of money I spent on the SF...Alas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
I think there are multiple factors that determine how fast you outgrow a motorcycle. Primarily it depends on what you want from your bike and how much money you are willing to spend .....What i am saying is, dont let peer pressure compel you into spending money that you don't have. Yes a big bike will be a lot more fun, but make sure you have the financial means to live with it. There is no point in getting a big bike, if you end up more time worrying about it than actually enjoying it. IMHO, if you really want to upgrade and your pocket allows, get a twin cylinder. It will satisfy most of your needs and you wont get bored of it quickly like the suzuki. Keep your old bike as a beater bike for daily use and use the new one as a weekend toy. With the way fuel prices are going, you will definitely regret selling your 155 cc. Cheers
Well said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
I dont think you are being fair to the GIXXER. All said and done, Gixxer is a commuter bike and you are comparing it with much more expensive bikes, almost 3x its price.

Its very natural to want a Samsung S series when you are using the J Series. If you can afford, go ahead and upgrade without guilt .
Don't get me wrong, this bike has taught me a lot! It's just that sometimes when I am put in a situation where, for my style of riding and expectations, she fails me, I'm reminded of the missed opportunities of getting a bike that would keep me happy for what I intended to use it for! Buyer's remorse, not plain greed, haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Fast forward 2021 (almost 2022)...
Can the CBR take to places? Hell yes!!

Do I have the drive to ride that long? Hell yes!!

Will I do it? Hell yes!!

On CBR 250R? This is something that I've been pondering for last 4+ years.

Is it time to upgrade? Hell...!! Wish I could say yes, but there're a lot of things in personal life that also makes me ponder...
Whether should I? ???

Whether is it worth? ???

I'm still seeking answers...
Well put!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZone View Post
How quickly you get the urge to upgrade depends on the motorcycle, and you. Small 150cc bikes are very easy to outgrow, your experience with the Gixxer will not be the same with bigger bikes, commuters are commuters after all.
I underestimated myself when I discounted my abilities and interests when it came to bikes, something that I wish I'd not done. But again, it's a good thing that I managed to experience this bike, for I wouldn't have learnt the fundamentals of riding in such a forgiving manner. I only regret not being able to go for something that I'd originally intended. Every time I see a R15 V3 next to me, there's a sigh of longing, lol. My friend got himself a killer deal on a not-so-old Dominar 400 - for a lesser price than my Gixxer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drt_rdr View Post
OP, if you have the mindspace and the money to spend on a nicer toy, I say go for it while you're still young and forming your tastes, and while ICE vehicles are still relevant.

That said, I also suggest you understand and appreciate what that little Gixxer can do in relation to the harder, better, faster, stronger bikes you desire. An upgrade in terms of cubic capacity or class of bike doesn't necessarily mean you're getting a better bike in all respects. There would be things that your gixxer could do better than a superbike (not in terms of outright performance or anything, but in terms of ease of handling, everyday manageability, and the likes). Also, there's always things to learn and inform yourself about riding better, irrespective of the bike you ride. So, I also say, don't underestimate your bike.
Rightly said. I appreciate the SF's lightweight nature, flickability and rev happy nature in the lower gears. The low end torque is better than the CBR 250R and the R15 too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinkbhaskar View Post

Well the ADV bug seems to have bitten you - all thanks to me ....................However, I do wish secretly for a Striple / Ceeber 650 down the lane.
The combination of an ADV and sports bike will be enough for me.

P.S : All my bikes were new. So no lateral upgrades for me. However, I am sure I will go via that route for my next purchase.
Yes, sir!

When can we expect an ownership review of the next big upgrade?!
TheHelix0202 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 17:18   #14
BHPian

Well, this thread is rightly timed and I was planning to put out a similar question.

Bike: CBR 250R STD black
Odo: 55,000 Kms
Year: 2011 - Present
Enjoyed: To the core
Toured: Most of the North, Western ghats near Nashik, Nepal, Bhutan and more
Terrain: Almost every possible terrain including icy roads, water crossings, desert and sand dunes, mild off-roading, race track (BIC), high altitude mountains, rocky ruts.
Current status: Want to sell it off

I ride, sorry rode (painfully correcting) CBR 250R till February this year and due to various factors like mainly the covid-19 and road safety part, I stopped riding. Also, the friends whom I ride with upgraded to 650s and am not comfortable in keeping up with them. Mind you, I can keep up, but not without pushing the bike. I bought new shoes, helmet, installed Road 5 tires and left it unattended for more than 6 months now. As Aargee mentioned, I want to upgrade but due to the financial situation and current uncertainty made me not to. Wanted to sell off as it's just collecting dust in the parking lot and also I don't want my bike which accompanied me to several places and adventures to rot like that. But the online used bike biggies aren't taking any CBRs that were manufactured before 2013 and mine was 2011 standard variant.

So, I am in a loop and it's tempting to keep it and ride it, but also to sell it off.

Last edited by saikarthik : 16th November 2021 at 17:21.
saikarthik is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 20:51   #15
BHPian

I bought the Gixxer SF250 after a long search of two years. Checked RC390s, Duke 390s, Thunderbirds, RS200 and many via the pre owned route, but I couldn't even imagine how hard the previous owners have pushed the bikes to the limits and the maintainance. I was awestruck with the looks of R15V3. My friend bought one in Jan 2020, the first ride on it made me feel like John Abraham on the Hayabusa ( I know I have exaggerated it way too much but the emotion I felt was to that extent).
Later on pushed that to the limits on a Highway, understood it is all show no go. I know there's no 155cc bike that even matches the V3 looks, its really great that it can do 150KMPH considering the 155cc engine.
The on road price of 1.8L is not justified in my opinion, but I love that bike way too much! Heart vs Mind goes here.
Then saw Gixxer SF250 reviews on the YouTube, 2.15L for a Fully faired 250cc bike with 26PS looked like an amazing deal but the dealership gamble stopped me from the purchase for over 7 months. But finally took the risk and bought it.
Just after a week later, took it to the college. Not even one noticed the bike, this made me really sad. Even when I rode the V3, a lot of people would notice it. Plus the initial niggles and the worst service spiced up my disappointment further. So uploaded a ad on the Olx. No responses at all, was shocked. Understood there's no demand or market for the bike. Felt really disappointed. Then took the ad down, thought for a minute that I can't even convince my parents to sell that, because we'll lose a lot of money and decided to explore the bike.
Then found a good service engineer in other service centre, got the niggles solved. Started loving the bike, I understood what I wanted is a attention grabber rather than a good bike, then I felt like an idiot. I understood, I have made a proper decision and bought a bang for the buck and vfm bike. Felt proud.
Did a top speed test after that and my mind was blown away, the top speed is achieved so quick without breaking a sweat. And riding postion is comfortable than V3. The power kicks in real quick, the wide grin on my face was limited because of the tight cheek pads that the helmet has
Then started loving it way too much! I lube the chain every 300KMs, give it for the water washing regularly and if time permits I wash it myself with a good microfiber cloth.
"The highest number of kilometers I've covered on a single day on a bike" in my life gave me some true confidence about the connection between me and my bike. I covered 283 kilometers and the bikes performance made me think "A wolf under sheeps clothing" refers to my lovely Gixxer.
No matter how hard I revv and push it to the limits, the least mileage is 33KMPL and Maximum is 40.
After I've experinced its true potential, understood how great Suzuki is in designing a bike. The stability it has during the triple digit speeds is nothing less than an engineering marvelous.
All of this in just 7 months of ownership. I should have been really crying by now if had bought the SF155, never considered it at all but still, the mileage it returns in the city is amazing.
At the time of purchase I was clear about my requirements: Dual Channel ABS, 6 gears, Faired motorcycle, good power and torque.
So I picked up a bike that fulfilled my requirements. Even though I was disappointed in the first one week, changed my mindset, understood it's my age that I'm in ( I'm 20 now )which makes you want some attention in the college and all. But I'm happy that I've made a matured decision (Praising myself a lot sorry for that )
So all I want to say is, when you are clear with your requirements and get a bike accordingly the urge to change can be held for a longer period.
Coming to your purchase, even though if you have the purchasing power to upgrade, explore the areas where your bike shines. Don't compare your bikes with others bikes ( that is with the bikes in the friend circle etc) we ride for our satisfaction. Just swap your bike with a superior bike of your friends for a regular day chores and you'll notice the advantages that your bike has, I tried it with RC200, Duke200, Xpulse and V3 and started lovimg my bike even more. Finally, No one cares or thinks about us the way we do. Ride safe.

Last edited by Thatautoguy46 : 16th November 2021 at 20:57. Reason: Used three emoticons, so.
Thatautoguy46 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks