Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2018, 12:44   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

When did you grow tired of your car?

Thread inspired by the same question on Jalopnik.

When did you get tired of your car? Was it because it felt outdated? Or was under-powered? The repairs & maintenance got too hot to handle? Just got bored of it?

I grew tired of my 1st-gen City Vtec after taking her on the highway. Too light, too flimsy, very unsafe. Its basic suspension also resulted in poor expressway manners. Under 100 kmph, there is still no car that's as entertaining as the iconic Vtec. Over 100 kmph, you'd start saying your prayers. I badly wanted a safer & more stable replacement. By the standards of year 2010, the Vtec was woefully outdated:
When did you grow tired of your car?-000_0885.jpg

The entire family got tired of the Tata Indigo because of how quickly it aged. Problems, breakdowns, funny noises - it had become a khatara (completely wornout car) in just 4 years. Using pic of Stratos' Indigo as I just realised we never shot a pic of ours! It was also the car we sold the earliest at just the 4 year mark (we usually keep cars for 8 - 10 years):
When did you grow tired of your car?-3325.jpg

P.S. Two cars I never got tired of were the Civic & C220 . One was sold because I wanted 6-cylinders, the other because it was almost 10 years old. 1 car I'll never tire off is my '97 Mahindra Classic 4x4.

Last edited by GTO : 26th May 2018 at 08:49.
GTO is offline   (67) Thanks
Old 25th May 2018, 12:52   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: When did you grow tired of your car?

Maruti Omni - We never grew tired of the space it offered for a large, tall family. However, no AC and practically no safety meant we had to get rid of it.

Ford Ikon - Technical issues - leaking steering rack, AC issues etc led to fatigue and it rotted away before we sold it off for a pittance

Swift VDi - The best car I've owned. Wouldv'e kept it forever had the govt and thiefs allowed me to (the car actually got stolen )

Honda Brio is 6+ years and is as good as new at 40k kms. It's my dads car and I think he has just about started to get bored of it.

My S-Cross is too new and too expensive get bored of. However, I foresee that I will get tired of driving a manual car and will switch over to an automatic.

In fact, driving a manual car will be a major reason for fatigue for a lot of people I think.

Last edited by Eddy : 30th May 2018 at 08:28.
Eddy is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 25th May 2018, 12:56   #3
BHPian

I've finally grown tired of my Alto as it has got hopelessly outclassed on the highways and I now want something safer.

I still love relatively good handling and the good steering ( non assisted) but it's just a bit too flighty at speed and hence it's going to be replaced by a Petrol Freestyle.
nmenon is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 25th May 2018, 13:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

Very Good Thread !! But, on lighter side, for a TBHPian, I think we never get tired of any car.

Seriously, For me, I fall in love more towards newer cars and sell my old cars, but when I see our old car (Other's car - same our old car model), the love towards our old car rejuvenates exponentially

For example, I had Qualis till recently. I had huge desire to own Fortuner. So, went with Fortuner and sold Qualis. But, even today, if I see qualis on road, my desire to drive Qualis car itches and memory goes back.

And this is the same feeling for all my old cars. I have no frustrations on any of my old cars. (Probably, because, all Cars I owned are Fantastic cars. Like, 118NE, Esteem, Qualis, Santro, Now Fortuner )

This is just my personal view
gkveda is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 25th May 2018, 13:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

Ever since I realised that I have to drag the car through traffic to my destination but my bike brings me to my destination.

I am not tired of the car, but I am tired of driving in what passes for infrastructure in our cities. Going offtopic.
selfdrive is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 25th May 2018, 13:18   #6
BHPian

A nice thread!

For me first year of ownership is the best (Honeymoon period). Second year the car becomes a member. Third year I think of adding some accessories in order to keep the interest alive (Like alloys, upgrade music system etc). Fourth year onwards it gets boring and if Vitamin M permits I would replace the car in 5th year.

My Jazz is completing 3 years in September and at just 13000 odd kms, I plan to change the tires. The only car I have held onto is the Accord which was bought in 2010. But at just above 50000 kms and poor resale value its a handy third car with 2 year old V-cross being my daily drive.

I do drive a Toyota Corolla (Twice a month) which is stationed in Ahmedabad where I have to travel for work. That one was bought used and is a 2003 model still going strong at 1,00,000 kms.
tazmaan is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 25th May 2018, 14:02   #7
BHPian

Hyundai Santro : Got bored after 4 years, as i was looking for a larger and more powerful car for highways. But loved the car till i owned it.

Opel Corsa : Got bored of it within 6 months. Endless troubles, heavy clutch, steering, fuel consumption, rough engine etc. etc. God know why i bought it.

Honda Civic A/T : 9 years and counting. Got the 5 year itch, and then the 7 year itch. But just love this car so much i am unable to look at anything else right now. The funky interiors, silky engine and reliability still brings a smile on my face.

Rgds
VineetG is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 25th May 2018, 14:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

Interesting thread.

I grew tired of my first gen Figo 1.2 only because it was underpowered on the highways, especially with a full load. At the same time it kept me on the boil all the time as I needed to get a decent speed out of that engine.
It became tiring to drive the car because of the increased number of gear shifts and then trying to keep up a good speed with traffic around. If I had the option, I would have retained it as a second car. If I hadn't fixed a free flow exhaust and wider tires soon after the first year, I would have probably got bored much sooner.

Surprisingly with my Aspire diesel, I am almost nearing that point were I'm bored although it has been only a year of driving it. I am not surprised either since it is a diesel and apart from the remap on it, there is nothing much else interesting on it.

I need to get a full performance exhaust system done soon.

Last edited by tharian : 25th May 2018 at 14:08.
tharian is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 25th May 2018, 14:10   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice thread.

Polo 1.6 : With all the shortcomings of the notorious German reliability issues added to the incompetent Service centers, but all is forgotten when behind the wheel - it is a delight to drive the car (in its MT guise) and will not part with it any time soon.
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th May 2018, 14:14   #10
BHPian

This August my Alto becomes seven years old, and planning to celebrate its birthday by adding power windows and fixing the broken right side tail lamp. Clocked 80K on it, and ran about 60K on LPG before getting rid of it. Planning to keep for as ever as possible.

The second car in my stable is the Tata Nano Twist, and it will be 4 year old this October. It is a very under-utilized car with just about 8K reading. Might be I will increase its usage over the Alto. Since it has not been used much, I will first use it more.

The next car planned is a big car, something like the Endeavor or Innova, mostly used one. Don't think I will grow tired of the two little hatches.
PNTLovesNano is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th May 2018, 14:20   #11
Team-BHP Support

Maruti 800 STD - Used for 7 years and 55k kms. Grew tired of it due to the lack of a/c. Replaced with a WagonR.

Maruti Suzuki WagonR - Used for 7 years and 97k kms. Grew tired of it twice -

First when it proved tiring and unsafe for the amount of highway runs I did. Solved by buying a new car for myself (Punto) and giving the WagonR only for parents.

Second when the clutch was taking a heavy toll on father's weak knee. Got replaced with a new car (Xcent).

FIAT Punto - Going strong after 6 years and 1.6L kms. Could use a more firepower for the modern highways - but still brings a smile otherwise. No plans of a replacement till the reliability becomes a question mark.

The closest it came to be replaced was when the Jeep Compass was launched - but that was a huge financial burden, so we skipped it. High speed highway cruising is not a big requirement anymore either, because a lot many highway drives have been on my bike these days.

Hyundai Xcent AT - Going strong after 4 years and 15k kms. Less usage, but parents absolutely love the car. It's got everything they need - sedan, small and convenient, automatic transmission, reverse camera and parking sensors, feel good interiors and very good service experience. No plans of a replacement for this one either.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 25th May 2018 at 14:28.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th May 2018, 14:28   #12
BHPian

I currently drive a Brio for the last 2.5 years, done about 23k km on. Am not bored if it till now.
I will add seat covers and get a better music system to make it better. Changed tires some time back. The only thing I will change it for is safety - no ABS and no airbags have started to worry me.

Last edited by aah78 : 25th May 2018 at 19:49. Reason: Post fixed. Take the time to type your posts please. Don't use excessive dots. Thank you!
aniyo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2018, 14:37   #13
Team-BHP Support

Swift: First self owned car. Bought in 2005 - enjoyed it till the last day I owned it. Sold with a heavy heart. I was just ready for a bigger swanker sedan (also looking for AT by then) in that time and upgraded to a Civic AT in 2009. I needed the Swift to buy the Civic but otherwise would have happily kept both if budget was not the issue.

Civic: Again, enjoyed it thoroughly for about 5 - 6 years before I started considering an upgrade. The desire was again from moving to a swanker more powerful car. (changed to BMW 3 GT in 2015). Incidentally, I sold it only a year or more after buying the GT. I still loved it so much that I simply couldn't get myself to sell it.

3 GT: I have come to a point where I am happy be chauffeur driven whenever possible - at least 80% of the time. For my overall requirements, I feel a soft road versatile SUV that is car like to drive, is EXTREMELY high on comfort and can handle some rough roads, easy on the pocket and has a long shelf life is the perfect fit. Versatile to handle needs like cover me on long cycle rides, loading ability for bicycle in the back seat etc. High comfort aside my GT can actually do most of this pretty well so I'm not terribly fussed. The only sore point might be its still not an actual SUV so some places are still out of bounds and the other being the comfort factor. I'd imagine that a CRV for e.g. would be far more comfortable than a 3 GT. I feel very tempted to switch for these reasons but its just not reason enough to make the switch.

Also, for the first time, unlike on previous purchases, my buying power (or at least financial priorities) don't motivate me to spend more than my GT money on a car anymore - particularly since they are less motivated by being behind the wheel. So financial considerations are also a factor

Last edited by Axe77 : 25th May 2018 at 14:44.
Axe77 is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 25th May 2018, 14:43   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti 800: 2006-07. Purchased it as it was in my view (a slightly uninformed view) that it was the cheapest no nonsense pre-owned car to buy. Was more of a newbie driver when I got it and once I gained in confidence, started realizing its short comings. Within 1.5 years I wanted to change. Not really tired of it, but just realized that I wanted something better.

Maruti Zen 2007-11: Again pre-owned, More aware now, bought it because I actually liked it. Was a 2003 model and by 2011 family had expanded and my awareness about cars had increased a great deal (Thanks to Team-Bhp). Lack of space, safety features were the primary reasons for me getting tired of it.

Maruti SX4 2011-13: Nice car, but was heavy and the bulky nature was not ideal especially in the city. Also, started feeling the need for an Automatic. One long drive to Kerala in heavy traffic made me realize-Ok, I am tired of this.

Vento TSI DSG- 2013-present: First new car. Thankfully have not got tired of it and don't think I will too unless there is some forcing function (Hint: DSG/VW Service)

None of the cars gave me any kind of trouble. So never faced a scenario of never ending issues making me tired of a car.
Rajeevraj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th May 2018, 14:50   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Surprisingly, we haven't gotten tired of most of the cars that we own! The E60 5 series which was with us for 9 years still makes me wish I hadn't sold it, and same for the W211 E Class. Even in the lower segments, I drove the pants out of our Fiesta, and still do miss the Laura on some days!

Some of the reasons I can think about are that most of these cars that we've owned were strong cars in general with one or two traits that really stood out compared to the market, and even today! For example, the E60 & Fiesta brought a smile to my face every time I drive them, the W211 E Class, Etios, S-Cross, etc. are supremely comfortable. The Etios and S-Cross are just so much fun to drive in their own way, and their ability to tackle all road surfaces just helps.

Same with the Laura. I was a little bored of it towards the end of the ownership period but that car still brings back memories and I loved how it was a perfect blend of size, performance, economy, and toughness.

However, that being said - with most cars today trying to be all rounders and the fact that they are losing their competitive edge - I don't know for how long this trend will continue. This coupled with average or worse reliability just makes the car age faster.

The A6 for example - it was an all rounder when we bought it, had a few extra features compared to others in it's segment at that time. It drove fairly well, it was quite comfortable, rich premium interiors, etc.

But today 6 years later - I won't lie, I am a little bored of it. Reliability is average, rattles have creeped in, and the stuff that impressed me then (like the air suspension, NVH, etc.) are now segment average. The car, which at time of launch was far more modern than it's rivals, today feels a little old and outdated before it's time.

Don't get me wrong though - I still do enjoy cruising in it and have been enjoying driving it around a fair bit recently, but it doesn't have the connect the old Merc & BMW had.
lamborghini is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks