Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2018, 23:57   #106
GT3
BHPian

Re: When did you grow tired of your car?

Maruti Zen (2000- date): Bought new. Now used as a beater car. It has run 90000 kms till date. I learnt driving in it, has good performance and handling. Will be mostly sold this year.

OHC 1.3 (2006-09): Bought used in 2006. It had good performance and handling like the zen. It had run ~100000 kms when sold. There were minor niggles which needed constant attention, so it was sold.

Mahindra Scorpio (2009-09): Bought new. This car had the shortest life in our garage. Had macho looks and good engine but the ride was UNBEARABLE, hence sold with 7000 kms on the odo.

Mahindra Xylo (2009-2013): Bought new as a replacement for the Scorpio. Had excellent space and the ride of an air bus. The M-Eagle engine was good but not upto the level of the M-Hawk in the Scorpio. It had run 75000 kms when sold. There was no particular reason for selling it, maybe we needed a change.

Maruti Swift ZXI (2012- date): Bought new for mum's use. Has good handling and care free maintenance. The performance is the worst of all the cars owned, even when compared to the Zen but mum doesn't care about . As like the Zen will be used for another 10 years. Run 50000 kms till date.

Skoda Octavia Tdi (2013-15): Bought used. My most loved car that was in our garage. Man what a car it was, had good performance and efficiency, excellent ride and handling, cheap maintenance(yes it was), classy looks and tank like build. The only con was the cramped rear seat space. It was a 2006 vehicle and had 150000 kms when sold. Sold because of a personal reason and no issues with the car. Still regret selling it.

Ford Figo 1.5D (2015-17): My 2nd favourite car after the Octi. Had excellent performance, efficiency and handling, extremely cheap maintenance and good space. Sold due to some issues and had run 37000 kms when sold.

Toyota Etios 1.4D (2017- date): I have no emotional connect with this car and is just used as a means of transport. Has good comfort and space. The performance is below average. Run 14000 kms till date.
GT3 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2018, 07:47   #107
Team-BHP Support

Restricting this to cars and bikes owned by me:

Nov'05 - Present: Honda Unicorn bought after being a year and half into my job. The smoothest engine and the most featureless bike during the purchase. Heck it didn't even have a trip meter! It's still in use 13 years later but with a friend. Overall I used it for a little over 2 years.

Nov'06-Jan'11: Palio 1.6 sport. Was the best car I ever owned. The fuel gauge needle moved in inverse proportion to the tacho. Countless memories with the car. Sold it after it became quite a pain to maintain with frequent part failures that I couldn't spend time on procuring.

Jun'11-Jun'15: Maruti 800 5-speed: Bought it as a stop gap between the Palio and the Swift diesel. Primary goal was to use it as a trainer car for the bitter half to hone her driving skills on. Served really well without any failures or breakdowns. It had genuine 40k kms on the odo when bought and had gone through four Parsi owners. The free *flaw* exhaust made me revv her to glory. It was like a go-kart. Sold it after it lay idle for months without use.

Currently drive a Sep'11 Swift, a Mar'15 Z800 and a Sep'16 Scross 1.6 both serving phenomenally well. Don't think I'll upgrade any for atleast a year if not more.
moralfibre is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2019, 16:48   #108
BHPian

Maruti Swift(2006-18)- The Swift was the first car for our family so it was quite emotional to let it go. It served us very faithfully for close to 12 years. It used to be maintained very carefully courtesy a family friend who has a Maruti A.S.S. In the end though, after the Vento came home, it used to be used as a beater and niggles were not common but not rare either. The exterior was also in a pretty bad shape due to the crowded places it was taken to but mechanically, it was still very smooth.

Volkswagen Vento(2014-Present)- The Vento was brought home nearly 5 years ago and characteristic of VW, it isn't very feature loaded. So since the last couple of years, it has started feeling a little barebones and I start to feel the itch but then I remind myself about the small yet well thought out features( For e.g Adjustable rear headrests, Height adjustable seatbelts etc. which I would prefer over gizmos like touchscreens anyday) and the build quality and lo behold, it feels fresh as ever! I have plans to spice it up a little by fitting the OEM Spoiler later this year.

Can't really comment on the Jazz till now since its not even a year old!

Cheers!
porsche_guy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2019, 19:13   #109
BHPian

Maruti Esteem (2006-2010) - This was a pre-owned car, it was the first ever car purchase by me. It served me well until the niggles and maintenance bills started to go up. I gave it up after a careful consideration. Driving pleasure, it was too good. An absolute driver's car

Mahindra Scorpio (2010 - Present) - Got it brand new and has served me well all these years. Very limited driving and only 60k on the ODO. Being a base variant, doesn't have any frills, it is pretty mechanical in true sense. Riding comfort is ok but considering its newer rivals, it is ancient. But I still hold a lot of emotional value to it and may keep it for another 2 years. The Bumpers and the plastics have lost color, so may need to spruce it up a bit. But mechanically the big fellow is just crunching miles happily
diwakarmuthu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 13:43   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshWish View Post
Hyundai Verna (1st gen): This was the first sedan in our family. Bought it for powerful engine and highway runs. I was really disappointing the first time I took it on the highway. Car felt like its floating in the air over the speed of 90 kms/hr. We continued to drive it in the city and sold it after 3 years.

I agree it was a Titanic on 4 wheels, like a muscle car, good on straight roads but introduce a corner and it gets confused what to do next We had CRDi 2008 Verna as well so I can understand what you refer to.
sajands is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 14:55   #111
Senior - BHPian

Maruti Alto Lxi (2003- 2007): Bought new,as our first car. Learnt Driving in this. Had Retrofitted Blaupunkt CD Player, which at that time was state of art. Had immense fun, but our long trips always felt insecure (both mentally and physically) whenever a Swift / Getz overtook us and vanished in thin air!

Suzuki Swift 1.3 Vxi Petrol (2007-2012): Bought new, as upgrade to Alto. Lovely car, which was used as family tourer in its initial years and went under the spanner for a typical enthusiast stage 1 mod (FFE, CAT, upsize). Car i learnt to drive on track! There were minor niggles, poor quality of interiors which showed up eventually, low end torque was a irritant in city, so it was sold.

i10 1.2 Magna (2009-10): Bought new, didn't like the car one bit when i brought it. Went for it because of pressure from wife. Except for the good interior quality and okish looks, nothing home to write about this car for me. Below average fuel economy, narrow and early power band, suspension that bounces at even at slightest indication of uneven tarmac ! Had enough of it, hence sold with 8500 kms on the odo.

Ford Fiesta 1.6 S (2011 - 2015): Brought new, during it last leg of existence. Truly one the cars that was so close to my heart! Everything about it was simple, yet stunning to behold! The Steering, Body kit, spoiler, Exhaust, Cabin Quality, Boot space. The Car in Paprika red screamed attitude! The Down side was Poor city mileage, and then below average ford service ! But had to forgo it since i brought Skoda Rapid as a daily driver and my Dad hit his retirement and this lost its sense of purpose.

Mahindra Verito (2012-2013): Bought new as a replacement for the Swift Vxi. Had excellent space and the quality of suspension was unreal. Boasted excellent figures for highways, the Build was good and the quality of parts were acceptable. The issue was its low power, wallowy handling, lacked character. Especially when it was sharing a garage with Fiesta S, it often bore the brunt of having a superior friend nearby! It had run just 15000 kms when sold. There was no particular reason for selling it, but it made made a case for the Fantastic Skoda Rapid Diesel.

Skoda Rapid 1.6 TDI (2013- 2015): Bought new as replacement for Verito. Soon became hot favorite of the family. In its remapped avatar, the car was just too good for any NA petrol car thrice its class. At this point, my garage had the remapped Fiesta 1.6S and remapped Rapid 1.6 TDI and boy those two were my favorite cars till date! unfortunately the car was cut short by the Chennai Flood, and we claimed Total loss on the same.

Suzuki Scross 1.6 Zeta (2016- Till date): Bought new as replacement for the drowned Rapid. At that point of time, it was the only car that packed a lovely engine from Fiat stables, a superb suspension, great space management and matured handling for a crossover. It downer was the Price of 1.6L engines and the bland looks of the same. The Remapped 1.6 Scross is different breed altogether, esp on highways where it literally munches miles at will! Gathers pace so fast that, it is tough job for other cars in its class to catch up! City use will be slightly underwhelming due to gear ratios and harder clutch!

Last edited by Mi10 : 11th February 2019 at 14:56.
Mi10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 20:25   #112
Senior - BHPian

Chevrolet Beat (May 2013 - Dec 2013), I bought this car purely on the basis of my good experience with Spark. I started facing ergonomic issues because of very bad interior design and finally sold it after 6 months.

Ford Ecosport (Jan 2017 - April 2017), This car had one of the worst ride quaity among the cars I owned and one long drive with my parents was enough to get rid of this car.
Old 11th February 2019, 22:22   #113
BHPian

Maruti Suzuki Baleno Zeta (Dec '17 - Present) I got tired of it the day it developed a little dent/dimple because my friend leaned against one of the doors. Following that, my car developed small dots/spots on the roof because of a hailstorm (for context, my car is parked in the open). Some pitiful hailstones were enough to damage the tin on this tin can. It's such a deal breaker for me and I can't wait to pass it on ASAP. Everything else about the car is fine by me, I even love some of the nifty features but can't seem to look past such a flimsy build.
RoadMonkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 23:34   #114
BHPian

- I got tired of our first family possession, the Omni, the day we took delivery. I wanted a Matiz, and my father had booked the Omni, because, he could see everything. On the day of delivery, it had no floor mats, looked like a Tin shell

- I got tired of it again in the next few days, when my father fitted a casette player, and some speakers in the back, beside rear closable benches, the benches would hit back on me, whenever I tried to close them. One of those benches hated me so much that it left me bleeding, when I tried to close it in a hurry

- And then on my first long drive, when a lorry overtook us, and the Omni shook, withered, and nodded that it couldn't compete

- And then tired of it the umpteenth time, when I pressed the casette player eject, and the casette player went inside

- And again, everytime, when we sat on the engine, after a slightly longish drive

- And those days, when it rained, when rolling down the windows, to let some fresh air in, and then jumping to the front to wipe dry the front windshield for my father

- And finally, that beautiful day, when a relative of ours dropped us in their Matiz, AC ON, and me sitting in the back seat smelling the fresh air fragrance, in a cold cabin (My first every AC ride)

Whatever said, 10 years later, when we sold our Omni, it got us more than 50% of what we originally had paid for it. It had zero punctures. Countless drives with as many as 8 people in it. It was a family vehicle for our 90s family. A perfect misfit

Last edited by suhaas307 : 12th February 2019 at 01:28. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
vinya_jag is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th July 2019, 01:26   #115
BHPian

I got tired of the I20 elite, about an year after driving it. It was the car that I learnt to drive in, and it was just the right car for the purpose. I had a lot of close calls with it and understood it's positives and negatives. It taught me to use the entire rev range for different purposes, steering control and a lot of the other fundamentals. However, it was sorely lacking in two departments, POWER and braking. The braking was not very great on the highways, and I realized that I was unnecessarily pushing the car, and putting myself at risk. But I simply couldn't suppress the urge to drive fast, and thus realised that this wasn't the car for me, and got bored of it. Ofcourse, it was still enough to over take the majority of vehicles on the highway, just that it wasn't safe enough, and not quick(not to be confused with fast) enough.
Old 24th July 2019, 02:26   #116
Senior - BHPian

I'd speak for my dad. We got rid of our first 2 cars because they were just under equipped.

'98 Maruti 800- was sold off in 2006 when my mom wanted a car with AC. A retrofit would have costed us around INR 20k.

'00 Qualis GS- was sold off in 2007. The main shortcomings:
+ Rusting of various body parts
+ Lack of safety for highway (no ABS/dual airbags)
+ Lack of power- it had a NA diesel
+ Lack of middle row AC. Our trips in TN were getting unbearable at times.

'18 Ciaz AT- Have a feeling my dad might get tired of this car if he drove it more often as he's always been used to a high car.
Old 24th July 2019, 11:10   #117
BHPian

Got bored of Brio in 3 years and 30K kms (total ODO 49000).

It had weak AC, average NVH, No ABS or Airbags small boot and only 35L tank. Also no Android auto or maps and the curved surface of the dash ensured difficult to stick anything.

Seats were thin as well and along with low seating, i got back ache.
Low GC was a bother at time though not a major concern

It did have fantastic handling and composure at high speeds and a sweet engine to compliment.

Current ride is TATA Nexon and I think I will be holding this for 50-60k kms at least

Last edited by suhaas307 : 25th July 2019 at 14:31. Reason: Spacing
Old 25th July 2019, 12:39   #118
BHPian

Talking only about the vehicles (4 and 2 wheelers) I have owned personally:
1) Bajaj Pulsar 150 DTSI (2006 to 2009) - she was my first vehicle just as i started working. Kept her for 3 years and 30k kms. Gave her away with a heavy heart when i bought my first card and found that she was lying unused most of the time. Felt she was better off been ridden by someone rather than lying unused with me.
2) Fiat Punto 1.4 EP (2009 till date) - My first car and my first love. She continues to be my daily ride and has been an amazing companion for the past 10 years. She's coming up on 1.5 lakh kms and I dont have any immediate plans to get rid of her. She continues to bring a smile to my face each time i take her out!
3) Hyundai i10 Magna (2012 till date) - The second car we bought which was primarily for the wife. She hasnt been driven as much and is at about 50k kms now. My wife loves the car and wants to keep her for sometime given its her first car.
4) Royal Enfield Signals 350 - The newest addition to my garage as I decided to get back to riding after 10 years. Its been less than a month and I am loving it so far. Am happy to know my riding genes were still alive after 10 years of just driving cars. Going to alternate between my RE and Punto for work now as i dont want to keep either of them idle!
abhii176 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 12:49   #119
Senior - BHPian

Car that internet hates is still my favourite,2014 Maruti Suzuki Swift Diesel Has been roughly 5+ years and has around 55K on the ODO and still feels "Tight" to drive, with Continental CC5, it actually feels better handling than before!

Somehow this feeling of being connected is missing in most of the cars today, this sounds like a regular rant from enthusiast, but very few cars can replace cars like this today !

Haven't driven Figo twins extensively yet, even if they are slightly better, it would feel like a major upgrade from this car! Maruti seriously missed a chance with S-Cross by not giving it the 1.5 Diesel, ticks all the boxes for me.

In short, not yet tired of my ride!
Old 25th July 2019, 14:28   #120
BHPian

I was not exactly bored with my Jazz as it's an excellent car to drive but started developing a feeling of having a rather feminish looking car. It's when i thought of let it go and move on to a bit more manly looking car and bought Vento DSG.

Last edited by NAVREVV : 25th July 2019 at 14:37.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks