Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2018, 22:21   #31
BHPian

Re: When did you grow tired of your car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
when I see our old car (Other's car - same our old car model), the love towards our old car rejuvenates exponentially
the SANTRO in my DP is my "Dadimaa" she is no more and I miss her.

I got bored of SANTRO towards the end of her life (16 years), monthly maintenance expense was crossing 15k and it was time to pay EMI instead.

My next ones were SWIFT and BREZZA. I like to own cars for a long time, they kind of get attached and I would not let them go unless there is a compelling reason.

In future, don't know what would happen. Would renting become a better value proposition than owning. Would people be driving at all i.e. all automated ?
Thermodynamics is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th May 2018, 22:39   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Something which almost all men grow to become fond of, is their car, howsoever rational may they be in all other spheres of life. That being said sometimes even the most perfect car for one's usage pattern can lead to it being replaced, times change and so do we.

I was never one to obsess about material possessions to an extent that I'd lose my sleep, I'd ask more of a question like what can the car do for me rather than the other way around.

For me the ownership of a car has always been about how convenient it was, whether I was 12 years old sitting in the backseat or 2 decades later today, helming the wheel. The only car I perhaps connected with was the humble Getz, it did everything right whether there was family in the car needing to be driven around comfortably and securely or if I were the only person in the car (ton of fun to drive). I always knew though, that one day it will go, no matter if it never rattled or gave issues, for we all mature and we need change in life.

I never grew tired of any car nor obsessed about them, they simply got replaced as and when a better alternative existed which would match our budget for that time. Time improves every model of car be it in build, features or conveniences and its essential to live the best life you can and the car is part of it.

It was a tough 2 mins parting with the car, specially seeing it disappear and become smaller as the distance grew, but as soon as we looked around in the new car that feeling vanished.. it is newer and much more improved, and its the future until it too, shall be replaced one day. Until then the goal is to enjoy each rain it protects us from, each sunny day it cools away at and each mile it takes us.. into this journey we call life - the AT Elantra.
dark.knight is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th May 2018, 23:59   #33
Team-BHP Support

Chevrolet Optra 1.8 LT:

After 6 years and 105,000 kms, it was sold because of -

1) Need for traditional safety features like ABS (and passenger airbag)
2) Frequent wheel alignment issues
3) Insane part replacement and service bills after 50,000 kms. Worsening service experience too.

Honda Civic 1.8 VMT:

After using the Civic for 6 years, an itch to get rid of it was felt because -

1) Civic's Low end torque + Bangalore traffic = Torture. I needed an automatic
2) It was a 9 year old car. Driver (leather) seat had hardened and was as comfortable as a wooden stool.
3) Large family (4 adults + 2 kids) meant there was a need for 7 seater. Just 400 litres of bootspace and soft rear suspension did not help either.

Last edited by SmartCat : 26th May 2018 at 00:00.
SmartCat is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 26th May 2018, 06:37   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
When did you get tired of your car?
Truth be told, I got bored of my car the very first time I drove it on the highway - a week or so after its purchase. As a first time car buyer, I had not even test driven the Estilo before booking it because I simply couldn't - I didn't know how to drive at that point . So, when on my maiden long drive, I tried to drive it the way I used to ride my bike - spiritedly; I was grossly disappointed.

A few more drives later, I clearly understood that the Estilo is a good but BORING car and having plonked four big ones on its purchase, I had to get used to its faults.

It has been eight years since then and I am still driving the same car. Given an opportunity, I would like to purchase a better one but i am almost sure that I would also be retaining the current one. When GTO asked us a while ago, what do we prefer, reliability or pleasure?, my answer was clear.

Boredom is an overrated feeling and therefore must not be the trigger to let something go or get others in. Many a times, we get bored of life, should we do something about it? Yes. Should we end it? No. The same goes for work, marriage and a lot of other situations in life. A life filled with excitement is an attractive concept - only a few materialize it. Cars, like life itself, come in various hues and colours; they have characters too. Since I am not an enthusiastic, excellent or passionate driver, I feel I have got the car I deserve. ( But it could also be argued that this is a classic case on the lines of Virginity is not chastity but lack of opportunity. That is a discussion for a different thread though!)

What if I get a Polo GTI and the car gets bored of me!

That's a scary thought.

dailydriver is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th May 2018, 07:15   #35
Senior - BHPian

Nice thread.

My first car- First generation swift Petrol. Loved the sweet revving petrol engine, but eventually got tired of how fast the car would develop rattles. It had become a rattlesnake within 6 months of ownership. Being base model it also had no safety features. Eventually when I moved to Pune from Delhi, the car did not make the move with us. Dad sold it off two years later. The car had run 70000 kms in 7 years.

Next car was the Punto. Still going strong at 75K Kms in little under 5 years. I am a fan of the ride and the strong build.
However out on the highway, it does cry for more grunt.
Now as I have aged a bit, I am tired (literally tired not figuratively speaking) with the heavy steering. Same thing had enticed me 5 years ago and I used to love the steering a lot.
Nowa days I can feel the effect of the heavy steering on long drives ( over 8-10 hrs), which never used to happen say a couple of years back. Family has grown so with a little one on her car seat behind, I am also tired of the space on offer.

An upgrade is due. Waiting for the Tata twins to launch before I plunge into market for a new car (with hopefully lighter steering, more grunt and much more space).

Punto however will stay as I can never be too tired to sell it off I think
vibbs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th May 2018, 07:27   #36
Senior - BHPian

I owned the first gen swift for close to 7 years. Loved the power and handling and though there were rattles I could live with it. Car was ultra reliable too.

Why did I sell it? As I stopped riding two wheelers completely, my running increased to over 20k kms per year and the car was not really fuel efficient.

Also growing family + parents staying meant I needed more space.

Currently driving Ertiga for over 4.5 years and loving it !! Car feels new even after 90k kms and only reason I could change now is for an automatic
rajshenoy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2018, 09:33   #37
Senior - BHPian

Maruti 800: First Car. Had it for 6 years. Sold because it hit 75k km! Thought the car won't last much longer. Still had no issues with the car though

Daewoo Matiz: about 5 years along alongside the 800. I used to love the car but sold it because the company went down the tube. Sold it at around 80k

Honda City:. This replaced the 800. Had it for about 8 years.I sold it because the mileage became quite unacceptable - in the low 9s & 8s. I put in a K&N filter and unfortunately they started fixing the road outside my home. So the asphalt vanished and was replaced by pure dust. I feel that move screwed up my engine permanently. So sold the car.

Innova: this replaced the Matiz. Had it for 10 years and 250k KM's. FULL PAISA VASOOL! Sold it largely because it hit 10 years. The seats had lost all support but mechanically it had no issues at all. I sold it over my mechanics objections!

Renault Duster: this replaced the Honda City. Lasted only 3.6 years and 75k km. Sold it because the brakes failed catastrophically twice on me.

I currently have a Jazz automatic and an Innova Crysta. Plan is to keep them for 7-8 years each.

Last edited by sridhu : 26th May 2018 at 09:34.
sridhu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2018, 10:17   #38

Nice thread,

I never got tired of the cars that I have owned. I had to change them because my requirements changed. I would still love to own and drive them if money was not a concern.

My first car was MS A-star, which got sold because I frequently require a larger boot to carry stuff resulting in having to borrow other family cars. It was a gem.

Ikon was my second car and I absolutely loved the car to bits. Ran it for 1,50,000 kms before selling it to a friend of mine. Had to sell it off only because of the lack of safety gear. No ABS, no Airbags. If even ABS was there, I would still be using that car. Still get to see it and drive it sometimes. Engine is still youthful and drives like it used to when new.

Fiesta is my current car. 3 years and 60K later, I have decided not to sell this car ever. I could just keep it after it has done its duty and use as a leisure drive. Maybe buy a small AT hatchback to complement it.
HVSC is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 09:40   #39
Senior - BHPian

After the first major breakdown and that breakdown happened after 10 years of ownership.

I used my Santro ZiPdrive GLS 2013 for more than 13 years. I faced a major issue of overheating somewhere in Rajasthan. Somehow I managed to reach back to my home city but that breakdown was a turning point and I started thinking for a new car.
Old 28th May 2018, 09:52   #40
Team-BHP Support

I have the corolla since 2009. I am not exactly growing tired of the car but it is no long serving any purpose since we haven’t gotten a driver and the usage is no longer there. It’s more of getting bored and getting the itch to get something new.

Plus being a manual and not compact, it’s not the preferred option in traffic. Every time I drive the car in traffic I do feel like a automatic would be better. Especially after driving the Yaris for a few days for the official review.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 28th May 2018 at 10:20.
Vid6639 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 10:17   #41
BHPian

I usually get bored with my cars pretty soon!

Palio: was a second hand example and within three years sold it. It did not have technical issues whatsoever and was doing pretty well for itself. Just started feeling that it was a little underpowered and that I should get a car with better safety features.

Figo TDCi titanium: this car had all that I needed at that time. Two airbags, decent boot, blue tooth connectivity and a lovely audio system and not the forget bthe diesel motor!
Within two years and 40k on the odo, I was done with it.

Alto F8D: this was a mere fill gap arrangement and was sold within 1.5 yeas and a meager 8k on the odo.

EcoSport TDCi titanium: 4 years and 50k on the odo. Almost on the verge of selling it. Need a auto box now. Very few options in diesel is what is keeping me away. Considering the Nexon AMT and Amaze CVT.

Nano XTA: around 2.5 years with 13 k on the odo, this car will stay. Not sure how long, but currently do not have any reason to sell it off.
ObsessedByFIAT is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 10:18   #42
BHPian

Nostalgic thread !

I had the first generation Swift Vxi and owned it for about 8 years. He, even survived in the Chennai deluge, despite of a 'rejuvenation' in MASS for about a fortnight. I drove him for 64K km and wanted to have it for my life and he never let me down on the midway, even for a puncture.

But, as with change of position and role in the organisation I am employed with, there was an age restriction of 8 years, to claim the benefits. So, I bought Ciaz, a new breed from Maruti, in fond remembrance of Swift

Had I have two parking slots in my flat, I could have kept my Swift, for sure, but that was not the case so and hence my Swift is not with me today.
tstlnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 10:29   #43
Senior - BHPian

India:

Innova D-4D:

The car was too dull to drive right off the showroom, it was only purchased since my mom loved the back seat comfort. It aged very gracefully but I never liked the van and always used to avoid driving it. I loved driving on the highways & used to force my family to travel in the uncomfortable Scorpio but whenever it was the Innova's turn, the chauffeur was the one to drive!

UAE:

Lancer GT:

The car was fun to drive but was way too under powered for UAE streets. Also, the engine noise was simply unbearable. The CVT transmission used to irritate me to the core. Though I loved the car for it's looks and that color, I simply could not keep it for long. It was eventually passed on to my wife when I got the Mustang and finally the Fusion replaced the Lancer and it was sold off.
raj_5004 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 11:22   #44
Senior - BHPian

Yet to get bored of any of the cars that I have owned, to the point that sheer boredom caused me to sell them off.

Mazda 626 - This was a first car I bought in my life (well, co-bought, but I did all the buying / fixing / tinkering) , and the 'omigod-I-own-a-car' feeling lasted for sometime, before the catcon / transmission / electrical problems surfaced and it was a whack-a-mole game fixing this and uncovering that. Left USA after owning that car for less than 2 years, and my buddie used it for another one before selling it at almost scrap value.

Mazda Protege - Old car with bits falling off every now and then, but proved to be the ideal testbed on which I learnt a lot of DIY in the couple of years of ownership - entire audio system setup, changing fluids, changing electrical bits-n-pieces, changing trims etc. The car drove perfectly before I left USA for the second (and till date, last) time.

Hyundai i10 - this car is supposed to be dependable & unexciting to the point of being boring, but I do not exactly seek out excitement during my daily commute, rather settling for reliability that will get me to office/home on time in relative comfort of an AT. But as this car nears the 10 year / 100K km mark, have to take a call on whether to retain or swap, again purely from a reliability PoV.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 11:35   #45
Senior - BHPian

I have still not got bored of my 2001 Honda City Vtec, despite it being now 17 (!) years old and more than a lakh km on the clock.

Still doesn't fail to impress me when I push the pedal to the metal.
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks