Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2018, 14:11   #91
BHPian

Re: When did you grow tired of your car?

2006- Fiat Palio 1.2 Sport - Bought a 4 year old used car to practice driving, sold off in 2007

2007- Maruti Swift Vxi- New. Bought to replace the Palio. Good car to drive but very poorly built. After a rear-end accident, started to look for a sedan upgrade in 2010.

2010- Honda City S MT- New. An even easier car to drive, with a superb engine. Used for 4 years till family expanded and i started looking for something that had better build quality and rear airbags.

2014- Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 Comfortline- New. Best car i ever owned. Great dynamics and very frugal engine (20 kmpl+ efficiency). Had to sell it off in 2 years as post new job i was shifting cities, and joining an auto company!

2016- Ford Endeavour- New. Excellent mile muncher, loads of space and easy to drive. Relatively fuel efficient if carefully driven, giving upto 14 kmpl on highways. Company policy will not let me get tired of it yet
achyutaghosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2018, 14:14   #92
Senior - BHPian

I haven't ever grown tired of any of the cars I have owned - except one!

That one was a 1989 Ford Fiesta which I bought in UK when I was a student. It had pretty severe engine issues due to "short run syndrome". Eventually, the issues did get sorted out, but by then it was too little too late. I had grown tired of its tantrums. This car did not have anything special to endear it to my heart - it was an average and boring hatchback in every sense. Hence, I simply parked it on the street and called the local council to scrap it.

As for the other cars I have owned, they have all tugged at my heartstrings for one reason or another, and hence I never did grow tired of them.
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2018, 18:15   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post
2016- Ford Endeavour- New. Excellent mile muncher, loads of space and easy to drive. Relatively fuel efficient if carefully driven, giving upto 14 kmpl on highways. Company policy will not let me get tired of it yet
Is this 2.2 or 3.2. 14kmpl is way beyond my expectation. I have never seen more than 12 anytime on any sort of trip/highway on my 3.2. If you too have the same this is some serious fuel efficiency figure.
Old 3rd June 2018, 09:52   #94
BHPian

Baleno hatchback - bought it on Oct 2017. I am already tired of it. It is under-powered, poorly built, unbelievable thin metal, light plastics interiors, poor brakes and light steering. I cannot believe I am saying these since this is my first car.

Last edited by amvj : 3rd June 2018 at 10:16.
amvj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2018, 15:40   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
Baleno hatchback - bought it on Oct 2017. I am already tired of it.
This is interesting; looks like it is not aging gracefully. Baleno oversells Elite i20 by quite a margin. How is your usage ? city% : highway%. Underpowered Diesel or Petrol ?

Last edited by ampere : 5th June 2018 at 13:54. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 3rd June 2018, 16:09   #96
BHPian

2007 F10D Zen Estilo - Originally bought for my mother, but I ended up using it. Great city manners; engine had a peppy low end too. However it was terrible on the highway and hence decided to sell it after using it for 5 years.

2012 Swift-P: I went in for the Swift because I wanted a safer car, that would suit the highway as well.

However I missed doing enough due diligence before purchase. I just couldn't get a good seating position for myself in the car (I'm 6' 2"). The steering would snag against my thighs, else my shin would hit the plastic below the dash, or else I'd have to twist my ankle to reach the gas pedal... While manageable for short runs, longer drives were tiresome. Also the engine wasn't nearly powerful enough and had a weak low end. With all this, I had drastically reduced driving, instead relying on Uber and public transport. Finally decided to sell off the car after 6 years.

Have now picked up an EcoSport Auto.
qaqa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2018, 17:31   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthusiast View Post
This is interesting; looks like it is not aging gracefully. Baleno oversells Elite i20 by quite a margin. How is your usage ? city% : highway%. Underpowered Diesel or Petrol ?

My usage is 50% - 50% highway and City. Car is Petrol manual Alpha variant.
amvj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2018, 18:45   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
Is this 2.2 or 3.2. 14kmpl is way beyond my expectation. I have never seen more than 12 anytime on any sort of trip/highway on my 3.2. If you too have the same this is some serious fuel efficiency figure.
2.2 Trend Auto. I get around 11 in city and 14-15 on long drives.

I think 12 kmpl on the 3.2 is awesome.
Old 5th June 2018, 13:44   #99
BHPian

I keep my cars for a long time. So for me the question to me should be: When should you detach your emotions and sell your car off. The SX4 Z+ petrol is still with me- 11 years. Just 50000 kms but time is coming to retire. I havent found the right replacement yet.

Innova G4 has to be sold now as NGT wants all 10+ yrs diesel cars out of NCR and a new Innova ZX AT is on the shortlist again to replace it!! Corolla Altis petrol is around since 2009 and I still love it. Cant ever get bored of it!!

Last edited by ampere : 5th June 2018 at 13:55. Reason: Formatted
Old 5th June 2018, 14:18   #100
BHPian

When we bought our 1.6 Rapid TDI, its brilliant performance should have been enough for me to get bored of our old car. However, since our old car happens to be the 1.6 Baleno, I'm still using it as my daily ride! Each time I floor the pedal, it brings a huge smile to my face
Old 5th June 2018, 16:24   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
Baleno hatchback - bought it on Oct 2017. I am already tired of it. It is under-powered, poorly built, unbelievable thin metal, light plastics interiors, poor brakes and light steering. I cannot believe I am saying these since this is my first car.
Same here, Baleno Alpha Auto - bought on Oct.17. I am tired of the dimples the car use to get even though its carefully handled. Under powered and poorly built. The only thing keeping me from trading off the same for Hyundai Creta is lack of Vitamin M(money). May be I will change my car after 1 more year.

The advantage of the car is its powerful AC & convenience of Auto

Previous Cars:

Maruti Alto - 2008 to 2015(7 Years)
Fiat Punto - 2009 to 2012(3 Years)
Maruti Swift - 2012 to 2017(5 Years)
ashok_lat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2018, 16:40   #102
BHPian

Vitara Brezza Zdi+ Manual (2016)
The car was bought for the dad however dad has hardly driven a car in past 2 years. He was retired at the time of purchase & wanted a car. However he accepted an offer after 1 year of the purchase & now heavily relies on office car/ chauffeur.

Poor interior quality/NVH, small seats, rattles, sub-par MASS, dead steering, average build quality & slightly under-powered engine are huge turn offs. I currently use it as daily drive (beater car) inside city. The only thing stopping me from replacing it is Vitamin M.

However I really appreciate these things while it's with me - lower fuel bills, powerful ac, sub 4m length + reverse camera + parking sensors makes life easier inside the city, ability to tackle potholes & water logged roads.
Old 5th June 2018, 17:26   #103
BHPian

Hyundai Verna (1st gen): This was the first sedan in our family. Bought it for powerful engine and highway runs. I was really disappointed the first time I took it on the highway. Car felt like its floating in the air over the speed of 90 kms/hr. We continued to drive it in the city and sold it after 3 years.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 12th February 2019 at 01:30. Reason: Typo
IshWish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2018, 21:16   #104
BHPian

3rd gen Honda City. I bought it in 2011 and never thought that I will part with it anytime soon. After almost 7 years of usage and 75000 KM on the odo, I had to get the suspensions replaced. I expected that the low seating will get better after the suspension work, as Honda had come up with a slightly raised suspension pack (6mm higher). However, even after spending 45k on the new suspension, I did not find any perceptible improvement in seating comfort (though it considerably reduced scraping of speed breakers). Had to trade it in for a WRV. But I must say that the City is a great car. Butter smooth engine, oodles of space, low on maintenance and a joy to drive on highways.
Old 5th June 2018, 23:02   #105
Team-BHP Support

(1996 to 2004) Maruti Zen (carbureted): Fantastic little car. Fond memories of cleaning the carburetor on certain Sunday mornings with dad. We even sent it for a tune-up and got nice fat tyres on it during the end of its tenure with us. Was hard to see it go.

(2001 to 2006) Ford Ikon 1.6: Ah, what a lovely car this was! The ubiquitous Josh machine! Learned how to drive in it, and never tired of it. Unfortunately, the car was a victim of the first flash floods that hit Mumbai in the mid 2000s, and that resulted in several electrical and mechanical problems, forcing us to sell it at a pittance. Was heartbroken to see it go!

(2006 to 2014) Honda Civic 1.8: Walked into Whitefield Honda with a cheque book to buy the City VX, walked out with a Civic! It was the stuff of dreams! It had the silhouette of a sports car, and felt like one in the driver's seat too! But dad wanted an upgrade. Drove like a peach even on the day we waved goodbye to her! We were gutted!

(2004 to 2017) Hyundai Santro Xing: Served us as our beater car. My mum used to drive it till she graduated to her Jazz, after which she passed it on to me. It was my daily driver from 2010 till 2015! I honed () my driving skills in it. Began to absolutely hate it becuse the ride was harsh and it felt woefully underpowered. I was desperate to give it up for something better. Was happy to give it to my sister, who learned how to drive in it. The Santro stayed with us for 13 years, the longest stint for any car in our house hold.

(2010 to date) Honda Jazz: Mum's shopping cart. Has seen it's fair share of highways. A great car for the city and for umm.. shopping! (). I like sneaking it out of the garage from time to time. Mum loves it to bits and will likely never let go of it, at least for the foreseeable future.

(2014 to date) Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI: The family mile muncher, and for a long time, my weekend joy ride! What a brilliant car it is! We briefly considered swapping it for a petrol Compass, but a test drive was enough to put my dad off of the Jeep completely. It's hard to upgrade from something like this.

(2015 to date) Polo GT TSI: My first actual car. I'd longed for one, ever since it was introduced sometime in 2013. I knew I had to have one. Collected my savings for the deposit, took out a loan and walked into VW Palace Cross the day I knew I could have one. Great performance for city streets. A properly solid car. Wish it had all the features the new one does, but I have no real regrets. Unless I can afford a Mini Cooper S, I'm not going to be giving it up. In fact, even if I do eventually buy my Mini, I'd gladly hand her over to my wife who has absolutely fallen in love with it!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 11th June 2018 at 08:49. Reason: Typo
suhaas307 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks