Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2023, 01:52   #31
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2-Stroke Fun | My Kawasaki KB100

Hello Lazy.

It is possible to pay the fitness and environment tax online through the Vahan portal. However, you will have to book an appointment and visit the AP31 RTO for the vehicle inspection and passing.

Check this link for more details :

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post5610324
v12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2023, 20:05   #32
BHPian

Congratulations TorqueMonster, the bike looks great! 2 strokes are more fun to ride especially the RX100 and KB100, both well-known for their crisp beat sound.
Rhinox~Cnu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2023, 20:47   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Took out my KB100 after close to a year. Not that I didnt want to ride it, but was not able to. My mech just adjusted the clutch cable, and a carb clean. Went straight for the emission test which was a breeze.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy View Post
Am in Bangalore, with a AP31 registered KB100 RTZ with expired RC and insurance.
Is there any "workaround" to renew the above documents - if yes, I'll want to get that done. And then spend money to restore it.
You can renew insurance and even get the Emission cert here.

But RC renewal will have to be in home state/RTO. Even BS3 vehicles are finding it difficult / rejected for transfer into KA (as had been told to me by my agent).

Last edited by condor : 8th September 2023 at 20:48.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2024, 15:26   #34
BHPian

The last update was just the beginning of good times with this bike. There were no further updates owing to the fact that it was a reliable daily driver for the most part.

2-Stroke Fun | My Kawasaki KB100-whatsapp-image-20240308-14.50.17.jpeg
2-Stroke Fun | My Kawasaki KB100-whatsapp-image-20240308-14.59.19.jpeg

The bike in one of the many rides I have taken it.

2-Stroke Fun | My Kawasaki KB100-whatsapp-image-20240308-14.50.59.jpeg

But then, things just go to hell. The first of many issues was that of leaking suspension. The entire suspension set - up had given up. Despite no oil seals or fork damages, the forks have worn out from 34 years of abuse and oil is leaking from the shocker rod. While the bike is still temporarily usable, the oil literally gets run out within 200km, making it a 400rs expense every week.

Now, it is unfortunate that in the part of Rural TN which I am in, no mechanic would want to touch this bike with a barge pole owing to the lack of spares and the complexity in fixing it.

Hence a decision was made to ride the bike back to Madurai, where it can be fixed. A choice, which in hindsight would lead to a mess - up of collosal proportions.

Now it is to note that the bike is not shy to rides, infact it does rides easiy despite its age. So an 80km highway ride should be one with no hassles.

But that was not the case. Barely 20kms from my home, I notice that the bike's sound had started to sound corase, producing a sound eerily similar to what you would hear when a propellor plane is flying over your head. Strike 1.

I slowly see the bike losing power, and managed to clear the bridge I was going through and stop on the side. Or more like the bike stopping and gravity bringing me slowly to the side. Strike 2.

While the situation had instantly become scary, I started to gaslight myself, on how it is just a heating issue, and that taking a 15 min break would solve it. I take down an entire bottle of water, and took a leisurely 20 min break, mindlessly scrolling through insta to avoid thinking abt any possible damage to the bike. I go, and decide to start the bike. 2 seconds later, both me and the bike are on the ground. I kick the bike and the kicker is stuck, it is rock solid, I feel a jolt go through my right leg and have no choice but to wave my leg in pain, tripping over the bike and falling down. Strike 3. Strike 4 if you count the damage caused to me also.

I at this stage go into total panic mode. I am stuck in an isolated highway, half an hour away from home, and with absolutely no idea what to do. I call up my mechanic, who confirms my worst fear, that the Engine is seized.

2-Stroke Fun | My Kawasaki KB100-whatsapp-image-20240308-14.50.59-2.jpeg

I genuinely did not know how to feel about this. Like this bike has been with me for years. This bike is in my childhood memories, of going around Delhi with me sitting on its tank as a child (i know it is unsafe but my family did not have a car at that time). It is the bike I learnt to ride in, the bike I first tried working and fixing on my own. It has been my daily driver in university, a unofficial member of my friend circle being the go to bike for my bike rides. It has taken me places, alone, with friends, dates, almost every core memory I have, this bike has managed to find its way to it. As I was sitting under the tamarind tree on the side of the highway, watching the bike, I felt the same as I would feel if I was attending a funeral for a loved one.

2-Stroke Fun | My Kawasaki KB100-whatsapp-image-20240308-15.15.47.jpeg

My temporary funeral was cut short with the arrival of a loud twin cylinder recovery vehicle, in the form of my Super Meteor 650. But there lies another issue. The Super Meteor, while being a powerful vehicle, does not have the low end torque to effectively tow a motorcycle. The forward set footpeg also made it difficult to push the bike using legs. One of those moments where my trusted Thunderbird and its low end torque would do wonders.

I have no photos for the same but halfway, a good samaritan on a blue Honda SP125 came out of nowhere, and towed me for almost the entirety of the remaining section of the journey, and just took the next turn even before I could thank him. The fact that I was not stuck till late and reached back within 2 hours is because of this person. Thank you Blue Honda SP125 owner.

So you may ask, what next for the bike. The bike's engine has been opened, showing that the piston of the bike has been damaged totally, and there pretty much lies nothing that can be done which is fixable. Right now, there is a crossroads between getting an entirely new engine from somewhere, or that of checking the condition of the engine block and seeing if it can be bored with new piston's and cylinder's be put. The terrible parts availablity for this bike puts both alternatives in question.

At least temporarily, it is time to announce the demise of this bike. But I can guarantee, that as soon as possible, it will have it's rebirth. Parts are being searched for, and whenever it is humanely possible, the entire Engine will be worked again, giving the bike a literal rebirth. I shall be updating the thread regarding the work that is being done to the bike, and I guarantee that before too long, the bike will be back on the road, in the same condition as it had come out of the factory in 1989.
TorqueMonster is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th April 2024, 16:57   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueMonster View Post
At least temporarily, it is time to announce the demise of this bike. But I can guarantee, that as soon as possible, it will have it's rebirth
Very touching story... I can feel your pain.

The End... Not a chance?

Ok, somber mood aside, Man! you give up too easily, it is just a 1-cyl 2-stroke bike, probably the simplest and the best generation of motorcycles ever made in India - KB100, RX100, Shogun (and their respective brothers, cousins included). Honda was the laadli 4stroke sister

Now hold yourself together and start online from below mentioned websites.

https://safexbikes.com/productdetail...-SEAL//ZFOBJ08

https://safexbikes.com/productdetail...EMBLY//ZPABJ10

https://safexbikes.com/productdetail...IT/111/ZCKBJ17

https://safexbikes.com/productdetail...B100/ZCORKBJ17

I see Kallanai in one of the pics, are you from Trichy or nearabout?

I found one website in Trichy - see this.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2947...Yqm4J7yH8&_rdr

https://www.instagram.com/narendranr...d=76lxza4mgi7i

https://www.vintagesparesexpert.com/about-us

I had a text with them from my non India number, here is their reply. Please take it forward, there are many places who have old 2stroke spares, good thing they are also on eCom platforms, dont loose hope, restore it and do not let go of your dads possession that easily.

2-Stroke Fun | My Kawasaki KB100-1.jpg

2-Stroke Fun | My Kawasaki KB100-2.jpg

2-Stroke Fun | My Kawasaki KB100-3.jpg

2-Stroke Fun | My Kawasaki KB100-4.jpg

2-Stroke Fun | My Kawasaki KB100-5.jpg

2-Stroke Fun | My Kawasaki KB100-6.jpg

Please share some pictures once done.

And PS - do ride with liberal 2T oil both in the petrol tank + reserve tank. I used 50ml 2T to a liter, will smoke a lot but your rings will thank you.

Last edited by svsantosh : 19th April 2024 at 17:00.
svsantosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2024, 18:25   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Very touching story... I can feel your pain.

The End... Not a chance?

Ok, somber mood aside, Man! you give up too easily, it is just a 1-cyl 2-stroke bike, probably the simplest and the best generation of motorcycles ever made in India - KB100, RX100, Shogun (and their respective brothers, cousins included). Honda was the laadli 4stroke sister

Now hold yourself together and start online from below mentioned websites.

https://safexbikes.com/productdetail...-SEAL//ZFOBJ08

https://safexbikes.com/productdetail...EMBLY//ZPABJ10

https://safexbikes.com/productdetail...IT/111/ZCKBJ17

https://safexbikes.com/productdetail...B100/ZCORKBJ17

I see Kallanai in one of the pics, are you from Trichy or nearabout?

And PS - do ride with liberal 2T oil both in the petrol tank + reserve tank. I used 50ml 2T to a liter, will smoke a lot but your rings will thank you.
Thank you Sir for providing me links for the cylinder kit. I was unable to update this thread as I am currently busy with the restoration of a new member to my garage, who's ownership review will be made soon.

I have managed to get a healthy engine, from a mint KB100 that unfortunately got totalled due to an accident. The engine is in excellent condition, and the bike is currently in midst of having an engine replacement. Once the engine is replaced, I shall update this thread with the same. Thank you sir for sending me the links for the cylinder kits and the necessary products, I'm sure it would be of immense help to me in the future, or if not, to any other KB100 owner who may search or frequent this thread. I am also thankful for the numbers that have been attached in your reply, as I, or any other KB100 owner can use them for enquire about spares if required.

As you have rightly observed, I was in Trichy, at the time of writing the thread. I studied in Trichy, and the photo from Kallanai is from the time I had studied there. All the photos from the previous thread are from the stint when I was in Trichy.

Last edited by TorqueMonster : 19th April 2024 at 18:26.
Old 19th April 2024, 19:52   #37
BHPian

"Yoo-hoo! KB100 and RX 100: my teenage dream machines. I still can't help but drool whenever I spot one."
Old 20th April 2024, 10:49   #38
BHPian

Hi Torquemonster, Heartening to read you have got a replacement engine for your KB100!
Harking back to my 1.5 year experience owning this bike ( RTZ) in the good ole days of 1988 , I must tell you to follow one cardinal rule while riding at higher rpms on this bike for longer distances ; the key , my friend, lies in setting the oil pump at the max setting. If you can't see anything but blue smoke in those lovely lovely mirrors at 100 clicks , then you got the setting right! Apologies to the anti pollution dudes.

Thank you for invoking fond reminiscences on the exciting rides and albeit short but fun times spent on my first bike ( CKN 1486 ) , those fun rides to Nandi, pearl valley, midnite Chennai ride ; it was sold by my family and I remained on 4 wheels till I scratched the itch after 30 odd years!
Old 20th April 2024, 22:03   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
I too had the same KB125 and had this issue of some tapping/knocking noise from the engine. They were neve able to fix it.

I visited the service centre numerous times and then gave it away to someone in my native when I moved abroad.

The KB100/KB125 bikes looked great compared to others with the meters, the plastic and all.
I had the same problem too, but I got it fixed. So, it's definitely the mechanic's fault.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks