Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2022, 22:16   #1

Royal Enfield Himalayan | Overheating Problem

I'm in the 6th month of owning a REH BS VI and have ridden her around for almost 3k kms. From day one of 'running in' the engine, I've faced the problem of the engine 'overheating'. Overheating to the extent I feel the heat creeping in through my riding denims. When I mentioned this to the personnel at the Official Service Center (Soniya Motors, Manpade, Thane), I got the response that it being a new engine, this was bound to happen. Also, when the engine overheated, it being ridden in thick traffic conditions, it would die-off in between gear shifts. To fire back the engine, I would have to get back to neutral and then start all over again.

An experienced REH rider shared with me the same problem he used to face with his REH BS VI. He recommended I take the bike on a long ride and hopefully, like in his case, the problem would fade out for me too. So, I did. But it was winters and my rides along the Mumbai-Ahmedabad highway were smooth sans traffic bottlenecks. So did not feel the engine overheating.

Recently, with the mercury in Thane, Maharashtra, going north like a drag race machine, I can sense the engine heating up even on short rides of less than 10kms. My engine crash-guard becomes hot thanks to the engine heating up.

When I did a generic check for the same on YouTube, a rider who faced this problem shared that replacement of the 'liquid cooler' unit on his REH gave him a solution. Not being a 'grease monkey' (phrase used with due respect to engineers & techies) I don't know if this is 'a' solution or 'the' solution, or, if there is some other solution. Would sincerely appreciate inputs and/or assistance from people who know how to handle such glitches.

Thanking all responses in advance.
rider@55 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 02:49   #2

re: Royal Enfield Himalayan | Overheating Problem

If you feel it's overheating, it probably is. The rising heat just adds more fuel to the fire. The way you described it, reminds me of Harley. Himalayan should not heat up that much as it is not a high revving engine. You can easily cut through traffic at low rpms with that low end torque. Try to keep those rpms low in case you rev it much. Air cooling should suffice but they have added an oil cooler so probably is a reason behind that.

If this service center technician is making excuses, get it checked at another service center, check if the oil cooler is working properly. Have you made the oil change yet? Maybe a wrong grade oil was put in the engine, that could contribute to the overheating. Also try switching the spark plug with a cooler running iridium one.
Amil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 05:11   #3
BHPian

re: Royal Enfield Himalayan | Overheating Problem

One of the easiest fault finding tool would be to ride your bike to the showroom and take a test drive on their test drive vehicle while the sales guy you interacted with, takes a test drive on your bike, simultaneously.

Meanwhile, check if the oil cooler fins are dirty? Is there any protective covering on its back side which the showroom forgot to remove before delivery of the bike?

Ideally the best way to diagnose the bike would be to get it checked by an experienced himalayan rider (since you mention that you are not a grease monkey) who would give you impartial advice.
kosjam is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 09:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan | Overheating Problem

The Himalayan’s engine is prone to heating up a bit, one of the attributes causing this is the stock RE engine oil which I didn’t like at all. I switched to Amsoil and the heating as reduced a bit. Unfortunately there is little that can be done to take care. On the stalling issue, it’s mostly the EVAP circuit that is the culprit. It can either be a clogged Purge valve or the canister or the hoses getting crimped. In my case I completely eliminated the EVAP canister, after which I haven’t faced any stalling issue. If your bike stalls frequently in heavy traffic or while parked under direct hot sun, open the fuel lid to relieve the trapped pressure inside the tank.
There’s a channel on you tube called On two wheels Ben, has some really nice information on how to take care of some of the issues faced on the Himalayan.
rakesh_r is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 14:54   #5

Thanks for your response Amil. Been riding for more than 25 years now and have never revved any of the 2 wheelers I rode/ride. Same with the REH. Even on long rides with open roads and low traffic, my rev counter is always below the 4k rpm range. So...

Anyways, I'm due to take the REH for its 1st service. Am gonna speak to the service personnel and ask what remedy/ies they propose to take for resolving my issue.

Thanks @kosjam. Will keep in mind your inputs. As and when I get a resolution, will share the same on the platform

Thanks @rajesh_r I too saw the Youtube video by Ben on 2 wheels and his removing the EVAP canister. Once again, my not being a technical person and not knowing what exactly the EVAP does and what would happen if it is not there, is the reason why I did not do what Ben On 2 wheels recommends. However, if RE cannot give me a lasting solution then I will do the necessary.

Last edited by bblost : 21st March 2022 at 15:16. Reason: back to back.
Old 21st March 2022, 19:57   #6

The first free service is supposed to be at 500kms or 1 month whichever is sooner, where they replace your engine oil. Since you are at 3000kms without an oil change, that could be the problem.

https://www.royalenfield.com/content...l_Domestic.pdf

Check page 60/61 of that manual ^
Amil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 01:12   #7
BHPian

The Himalayan big single cylinder engine will heat up a lot in stop and go traffic. But if you give it an empty road - no matter how hot the outside temperatures are and how long you run, the engine will stiill be relatively cooler.

I rode down from Hyderabad to Ahmedabad a few weeks ago and i kept the speed between 90 to 100 most of the time. The engine heated up but to levels which were comfortable. Got stuck in Mumbai at Thane and the engine heat in the blistering afternoon made it very uncomfortable for my ankles.

Just get your engine oil level and quality checked. If both are good, it should be fine.

Last edited by rahul4321 : 22nd March 2022 at 01:13.
rahul4321 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 07:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

Get the stuff mentioned in earlier posts checked out and replace the engine oil to start with.
Would suggest to change it with factory oil this time around since its your first oil change and then change the oil earlier and onto something like a Liqui Moly or something on the same lines of matching grade.

My experience with the Himalayan has been similar, fuming in city traffic and not an issue on the highways. A friend who owns a BS4 version also said that in city it heats up so much that even fuel tank sides get heated up.

A characteristic of large singles ? Most likely. Look at the D390 but even my RTR 180 heats up significantly in city traffic.
The overheating and stall you've mentioned has happened to me quite a lot with the D390(first gen) when the temp gauge reaches the last -1 bar.
BTW what was the ambient temperature gauge reading when you feel the heat or stall ? Could give a clue.

The specific advice given for the EVAP should also be explored and like mentioned earlier the best way to find out would be to take another Himalayan on the same route under similar conditions to see if yours is heating up more.
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 14:33   #9

Thanks Amil. I'm going in for the first service in a day or so. Post the oil change, hopefully, things should change. Just to share, Ben Philip (On Two wheels Ben) in his YouTube post has recommended adding a FuelX Pro ECU. I've also heard about the Powertronic ECU which more than one rider has recommended. In all these cases, the riders concerned vouch for the new engine maps helping in significantly reducing the 'heating' problem. Not to mention the slight bump up in power. Downsides being, a) Manufacturer warranty getting void and, b) nominal loss in Fuel efficiency.

I'm in a quandary but will wait to get the first service done before taking any such decision.

Thanks @shancz. Will begin with the oil change and then move further.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 24th March 2022 at 09:57. Reason: back to back posts merged
Old 22nd March 2022, 15:07   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider@55 View Post
Will begin with the oil change and then move further.
Sounds good.

Also go through the multi quote feature (How to MULTI-QUOTE (when replying to a thread) on Team-BHP) and forum rules to avoid burdening the mods

Keep us posted on the resolution.
Enjoy your rides
shancz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 15:22   #11

The overheating problem is part of a RE Himalayan Rider's life but the engine stalling is something that needs to be checked. The heat from the engine can be felt mostly while navigating through heavy traffic for some time and i have been experiencing it every day on my BS3 steed. Once you hit decent speeds it resolves itself as the air circulation improves heat dissipation.

Regarding the engine stalling, it is probably unrelated to the engine heat. Check the air filter, fuel line and as Mr.Rakesh suggested open the fuel tank lid and try again (something few riders have mentioned, but i haven't experienced that issue so far). Also, don't go by the user manual and service instructions that suggests oil top up at 5k km interval and oil change after every 10k kms , instead opt for oil change every 5k kms, the bike feels much better that way.
MisterG is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 16:11   #12
BHPian

Noob question alert!

Doesn't the Himalayan Dashboard have an indication for over heating?. If yes, do we need to worry if our pants get on fire while the indicator does not?.
srini1785 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 08:23   #13
BHPian

Another noob question alert !
Not speaking for Himalayan and other higher CC bikes, in case of commuter bikes, scooters - how to know if it's overheating ? Like what are the signs of overheating in such bikes ? And how to avoid this issue ?
Old 23rd March 2022, 11:29   #14
BHPian

I will suggest you go for the simplest and cheapest replacements first.
Change the air filter, oil filter, spark plug and go for a thorough cleaning. Change the engine oil to a fully synthetic one from Shell or Motul. Lastly, run as long as possible on the remaining petrol on the tank and drain the rest. Fill it with XP95 petrol from a pump other than the one you usually use. As for the stalling problem, it is a known issue in REH. Since it is happening between gear-shifts, check the clutch assembly and chain (both tension and condition) and get them cleaned and lubricated thoroughly. Also, vary the clutch slippage to the maximum extent possible and see if it improves or atleast replicates.
Which bike were you riding before the REH? It may also be possible that the overheating issue is simply a matter of your mind comparing the heat to the previous benchmark, since the engine itself hasn't shown any anomaly during its regular servicing.
Ritkon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 11:36   #15
Senior - BHPian

There are no noob questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
Doesn't the Himalayan Dashboard have an indication for over heating?.
If yes, do we need to worry if our pants get on fire while the indicator does not?.
I don't think so, the ambient temperature gauge should provide an indication but when standing still as the engine heat would raise the temperature. The max I have seen was 54/56 degrees post a 150km ride and a friend had seen 62 in traffic, IIRC. Both in summer months.

Indicates a lot of heat being generated, uncomfortable but no pants on fire stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
1. Like what are the signs of overheating in such bikes ?
2. And how to avoid this issue ?
1. Signs of overheating, from personal experience, if the bike was running well and then starts exhibiting the behaviours mentioned below :
- The engine will start feeling rough which is unusual since we expect the engine to feel rough when cold. This is the most apparent indication but if you're using fully synthetic oils this could be masked like I learnt the hard way.

- The throttle response might become snatchy could also be due to the point mentioned below.

- The engine will want to shut off at low rpms especially when you pull in the clutch. This feels exactly like the bike is running out of fuel.

- The smell of hot metal and coatings.
This varies across bikes but each bike would have its own smell dependent on a lot of factors/coatings/compounds but you should be able to sense a distinct smell relatable to hot metal.

- The heat radiating from the engine. You should be able to feel it anyway but thick jeans/gear/leathers could delay the sense a bit. But if you feel the above indications then just park on the side check how much heat is being radiated by the engine. If you have ridden the bike long enough you should be able to guess if its running very hot.
This point is difficult to explain but very easy to feel.

Next Steps (although not asked for but following the national tradition of giving free advice) :
Once it shuts off and refuses to start, park it safely and wait for 1-2hrs for it to cool down. Opening the engine oil cap might help a bit. Once it starts after waiting, drive easily and get the oil changed at the nearest available option. Even if its a mineral oil of the same grade, since the objective is to get the hot abused oil out of the engine.

2. How to avoid :
- don't exceed the limits of your motorcycle or don't rev at higher rpms for long durations.

- change oil and filters on time and earlier if your usage warrants so.

- if high rpm cruising is not avoidable then get a liquid cooled motorcycle but that too would have it's limits.
Cruising in an air cooled bike, at 7000+ rpm for a day long trips is called overstressing the engine. Get a bigger engine or reduce your cruising 5000-5500rpm.
A lot of other factors are involved too and goes without saying this doesn't apply to RE and similar revving motorcycles.

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd March 2022 at 21:18. Reason: As requested
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks