Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2022, 18:03   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Electric scooters catching fire in India

Ola S1 pro electric scooter catches fire in Pune.

Quote:
At least half a dozen instances of thermal runway have emerged in the last six months including in scooters from Pure EV and Okinawa

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 26th March 2022 at 18:09.
volkman10 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 26th March 2022, 18:42   #2
BHPian

Re: Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Ola S1 pro electric scooter catches fire in Pune.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=tXx2zXmtVNw

Link
One more video in circulation.

ola_fire.zip
Old 26th March 2022, 21:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

Ola Electric statement on the Pune incident.

Name:  20220326_214306.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  47.2 KB
Old 26th March 2022, 22:01   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indraneel Bhat View Post
OLA is an IT company, not an automobile company. Until they become an automobile company with the necessary mindset that this requires
I completely agree with this. Just like how service companies don't have the mindset of product companies, same is the case with Ola. They are just playing in no man's land and testing the waters.

The way the fire issues are cropping up, it's downright scary. And if it has anything to do with thermal management, we are just 1 month into summers!
ToThePoint is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th March 2022, 22:06   #5
BHPian

My post about EV accident/fire again n'th time is same. Everyone is talking about fires, no one is talking a comprehensive plan on amending S.O.P/safety guidelines or training to fire tenders or workshop technicians or dealers. This could lead to serious casualties if untrained people try to handle lithium fires with the same old equipment and techniques.

We see a lot of indoor charge time fires as well around the globe, this is not a phone!

The manufacturers trying to push the performance and reduce charging times, is in right direction, but are right checks implemented to validate safety? I had worked mostly with lead acid batteries and now a bit with ultra capacitors. Old timers who had worked with lead acid batteries will tell you no one battery behaves exactly same and they say batteries have individual profiles like personality. No idea if this is same with li-ion batteries. People who design BMS, control algorithms for charging and discharging should know batteries better.

Last edited by saikarthik : 26th March 2022 at 22:11.
saikarthik is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 27th March 2022, 20:42   #6
BHPian

OLA S1 Pro scooter catches fire in Pune.

https://newsroompost.com/auto/ola-s1...e/5077776.html
John is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 12:26   #7
Senior - BHPian

Ola scooter's beta testing for thermal capabilities/threshold has started and the results look promising ... for Ather

Looks like a brand new scooter, the plastic covers from the seat were not removed and it was parked in sunlight (Pune is experiencing lot of heat this week) when it caught fire from the bottom (battery?)
NiInJa is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 13:12   #8
BHPian

Another video clip of the mishap.

Source- Motorbeam
Emvi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 11:31   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Must be the work of 'Petrol Media' !

On the other hand if this was an Ola car, one can imagine the situation.

I have seen this vehicle on the road, it does not look like its made by a name brand, looks like a disposable razor in terms of overall looks \ finish.
Kosfactor is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 13:34   #10
BHPian

That Ola seemed to be in a hurry to get beta testing by customers can be explained away with it being having a startup culture, rapid shipping to customer, need to generate IPO hype and whatnot.

Is it not the responsibility of the Govt (ministry of roadways??) required to verify road worthiness and safety before allowing retail sales?
Do we even have these tests?

I hope the concerned govt depts do not claim that they are unaware of thermal runaways!
whitewing is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 14:04   #11

This is the third incident of a electric scooter catching fire that I have heard this past week.
1. Father & Daughter died of suffocation in first incident https://news.abplive.com/tamil-nadu/...ellore-1521857
The Scooter looks like a Okinawa Praise Model
Electric scooters catching fire in India-screenshot_20220326180444_facebook.jpg

2. I couldn't identify the scooter in the second incident but fortunately no injuries.
https://https://www.indiatoday.in/in...879-2022-03-29

One oddity in both the above incidents was the scooter make & model were not published. Wonder why?
Kruz Nhux is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 15:23   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruz Nhux View Post
This is the third incident of a electric scooter catching fire that I have heard this past week.
1. Father & Daughter died of suffocation in first incident https://news.abplive.com/tamil-nadu/...ellore-1521857
The Scooter looks like a Okinawa Praise Model
Attachment 2289699

2. I couldn't identify the scooter in the second incident but fortunately no injuries.
https://https://www.indiatoday.in/in...879-2022-03-29

One oddity in both the above incidents was the scooter make & model were not published. Wonder why?

One more incident in Tamilnadu. This time a PureEV EPluto 7G exploded and burned down a house.
https://www.imaphsy.com/automobiles/...-near-chennai/

Also the scooter in the second incident is reported to be a Okinawa

Is the Summer Heat causing these incidents or are the companies glossing over quality control?
Kruz Nhux is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 16:27   #13
Senior - BHPian

Rajiv Bajaj's commentary is turning out to be Prophetic.
payeng is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 16:42   #14
BHPian

This was one was really scary. Loved PlugInIndia's reply on Ola's tweet. Honestly, my intuition about EV scooters came right with this one. I would rather buy a trusty Activa than this.

Last edited by Aditya : 30th March 2022 at 16:46. Reason: Link to Twitter page added
coolmel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 16:54   #15
BHPian

I am many of those people whose at least one engineer friend is working / has worked in Ola electric. So one of my very close friend who left Ola electric recently due to its bad work culture, told me to hold my decision of buying its scooter.

Main reasons: many of the testing is not completed,
-on road testing work was given to a 3rd party company,
-most of the parts are localized hence they are not proven yet,
-the effect of environmental temperatures is not proved yet (I think this could be one of the reason behind this fire incident).

Apart from this my friend talked on several points related to its mechanicals.

So the company needs to prove itself on the both fronts (mechanical & EV systems).

After the discussion, me & one of my friend cancelled the S1 pro booking immediately & decided to wait for some other good options in the market.

Ola Electric as a company need to learn many things on how to make a vehicle? Making softwares & making a vehicle are altogether different things.

Also the known people working there told me one common thing that - Company should seriously concentrate on the scooter first, let it be proved to be the best & then should work on Electric car. Being a very new company, working on both projects simultaneously could be a nightmare.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 29th March 2022 at 17:57. Reason: spacing for improved readability
AutoDowntowner is offline   (19) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks