Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2022, 13:20   #1
Senior - BHPian

My first pre-owned | Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

If you asked me 10 years before that if would buy an "bullet", i would have laughed at you. How the tides have turned, ended up buying one few months back.

The story starts few years back, i had a back pain episode in early 2018. Was on bed rest for 1 month. Doc asked me reduce weight and not use two wheeler at least for 6 monthd. I had a KTM D200 then and sold it off thinking that i might be over riding forever now.

KTM Ownership report - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...8k-kms-up.html (KTM Duke 200, my new commuter. Edit: 18k kms up)

By the end of 2018, i was down 32kg of weight and not riding for almost an year. I thought i will manage without a bike but it always bothered me that we only have limited time when i can ride, once you grow older anyways it will become impossible.

Took a TD of Bonneville and liked the bike but didnt wanted to take a loan for something which will be used only for leisure purpose.

Finally RE Interceptor was launched at mouth watering price. Took a TD of the bike in Dec 2019. Somehow i was not convinced because of the weight and handling. Took another TD in the Feb 2020. Both bike had the same issue with handling, now i feel both were having low tyre pressure.

TD in Dec 2019
Name:  IMG_2841.jpg
Views: 1248
Size:  81.3 KB

My plan was to buy the bike in April 2020. Then everyone knows what happened in March 2020.

Finally in the end of 2021 everything seems to be getting back to normal. I saw a few very low mileage interceptor at an good price on olx.

Shortlisted two bikes and checked them out with a friend on a sunday.
1. 2019 Silver interceptor - done about 2400kms, not much in terms of accessories, just RE sump guard and Atom exhaust. Asking 2.4L, ready to negotiate a bit.

2. 2019 chrome interceptor - done about 4600kms, few RE accessories worth 10k on the bike, running stock exhaust. asking 2.6L, non negotiable.

First we checked out the silver bike and it ran absolutely fine. Exhaust was too loud for me but owner had the original exhaust. The seat was also modified(lowered) to suit his height. The owner had a covered parking, level of parking space was very high from the road and it could not have been flooded. As there was flooding in some parts of chennai in the previous rainy season. He said that the bike was used only the highway for few times and otherwise it was parked at home. He had a young child and did not get opportunity to ride the bike. There was a lots of rust built-up in chrome parts like indicator, tail lamp, mirrors, fuel lid etc. The metal chrome parts were in good condition and there was some superficial rust that could be cleaned. These plastic parts could be cleaned or changed later if needed.

Name:  WhatsApp Image 20220407 at 11.46.42 AM.jpeg
Views: 1206
Size:  100.7 KB

Otherwise bike was in relatively in good condition. Even the fenders were mostly clean. Tank and side panels had PPF installed. No scratches anywhere on the bike. The leg guard and brake lever had some bruises, meaning bike had fallen at least once, but it was very small and minor. Mostly in a parking of something. Tyres were in good condition and original which came with the bike.

Bike rode really well.
Name:  WhatsApp Image 20220407 at 11.46.44 AM 2.jpeg
Views: 1219
Size:  92.1 KB

Now coming to the second chrome bike.
(Image taken from web as i had not clicked full pic of the bike)
Name:  royalenfieldinterceptorrightside15.jpeg
Views: 1222
Size:  39.3 KB

Although i like the chrome bike in pics. In person i was not a fan of the chrome. This bike also rode really well, no issues with the bike. There was some paint peeling issue, looked like someone maybe spilled brake oil.

Name:  4.jpeg
Views: 1268
Size:  51.3 KB

Name:  5.jpeg
Views: 1204
Size:  69.3 KB

Last edited by Rahulkool : 13th April 2022 at 22:11.
Rahulkool is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 14:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: My first pre-owned | Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Finally decided on the Silver bike. Went to the RE service center and got all the service details for this bike. There was one free service still pending and all services were done on time. Around 8months of warranty is still left.

Negotiations took around 1 week time. Ended up costing me 2.3L with RC transfer and HP removal, as loan was paid but it was not removed from RC.

Finally got it home on the 3rd week of feb.
Name:  6.jpeg
Views: 1208
Size:  43.8 KB

I didnt really use it for almost 3 weeks, wanted to finish the RC first and also take care of the aesthetics issues. Ordered chrome polish from amazon and rest detailing stuff i already had at home.
Name:  7.jpeg
Views: 1274
Size:  47.4 KB

Started with the mirrors and exhaust first and they come out really shiny and nice. I didnt really expect the such vast difference.

Stock exhaust
Name:  8.jpeg
Views: 1217
Size:  23.2 KB

After cleaning and polishing
Name:  9.jpeg
Views: 1210
Size:  34.1 KB

You can see the difference here !
Name:  10.jpeg
Views: 1248
Size:  51.6 KB

Mirror cleaned up like magic, i was really surprised, i was planning to change them.
Name:  11.jpeg
Views: 1241
Size:  25.1 KB

Removed the rear tail lamps and cleaned fender, mudguard etc. Removed the mud flaps as well, looks really bad. Will fix them back in rainy season.

Name:  12.jpeg
Views: 1184
Size:  68.8 KB

Name:  13.jpeg
Views: 1212
Size:  68.4 KB

Before
Name:  14.jpeg
Views: 1205
Size:  60.6 KB

After
Name:  15.jpeg
Views: 1241
Size:  66.3 KB

while doing all this work, i realised that how easy its to work on it compared other bikes.

Tail lamps
Before
Name:  16.jpeg
Views: 1235
Size:  64.9 KB

After
Name:  17.jpeg
Views: 1221
Size:  58.4 KB

Looks clean now !
Name:  18.jpeg
Views: 1258
Size:  52.9 KB

Name:  19.jpeg
Views: 1206
Size:  71.3 KB

Last edited by Rahulkool : 13th April 2022 at 16:45.
Rahulkool is offline   (53) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 15:42   #3
Senior - BHPian

Next job was to install the stock silencer. One of the exhaust gasket and clamp was missing. Got those from nearby RE parts store.

Name:  20.jpeg
Views: 1222
Size:  55.9 KB

Old vs new
Name:  21.jpeg
Views: 1242
Size:  32.6 KB

aftermarket exhaust
Name:  23.jpeg
Views: 1220
Size:  46.9 KB

Installed the gasket.
Name:  22.jpeg
Views: 1191
Size:  40.1 KB

It was straight forward job.
Name:  24.jpeg
Views: 1212
Size:  43.5 KB

Just check the size difference, there is huge difference in weight as well. Atom is around 6kg combined while stock exhaust should be around 11kg.
Name:  25.jpeg
Views: 1224
Size:  72.9 KB

How the bike look after installing the stock exhausts and polishing. Engine case polishing is still pending. It needs some more work.
Name:  26.jpeg
Views: 1216
Size:  52.4 KB

Name:  27.jpeg
Views: 1201
Size:  60.0 KB

Cleaned the wheels and spokes as well. Come out lovely.
Name:  30.jpeg
Views: 1193
Size:  51.9 KB

Cleaned up the Atom exhaust, its in good condition.
Name:  28.jpeg
Views: 1204
Size:  43.7 KB

It is a straight pipe, no wonder its loud.
Name:  29.jpeg
Views: 1216
Size:  30.5 KB

Last edited by Rahulkool : 13th April 2022 at 16:02.
Rahulkool is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 16:31   #4
Senior - BHPian

Took the bike on a 400kms ride. I was alone as some friends backed out in the last moment due to hot weather. I did the whole onwards 200kms without any break, felt nice to be back on a bike after long time. I did most of the stretch in 90-100kmph. Didnt wanted to push it before understanding the bike well. It was a really good experience, engine is barely working at these speeds, you feel really at ease. Did total 400kms in total, hot chennai weather, no issues with engine heat. Back side was little sore after the ride but nothing too bad. Anyway had plan to change the seat.

Name:  32.jpeg
Views: 1198
Size:  62.6 KB

Name:  33.jpeg
Views: 1200
Size:  38.6 KB

Name:  34.jpeg
Views: 1199
Size:  64.9 KB

Finished the customary pooja as well.

My first pre-owned | Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-31.jpeg

Finally changed to RE touring seat. Paid rs3735 after 10% discount at RE store in Adyar.

Name:  36.jpeg
Views: 1227
Size:  15.5 KB

Installed on the bike. These seats are ok in comfort, much better than before but nothing like seats on the Himalayan.

I was just browsing the Interceptor and Himalayan accessories and realised that how everything for himalayan has a purpose and built with only usability/utility in mind. Interceptor on the other hand is completely opposite, everything on this bike is about looks, usability is a second priority in all aspects. No wonder i enjoy detailing this bike more than riding it . Just kidding i enjoy both.

Engine case polishing is still not finished, have done some work on it, will take couple of more days to finish the work.
My first pre-owned | Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-35.jpeg

Signing off with the beautiful pic of the bike, take with mobile and edited on photoshop.
My first pre-owned | Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_1613-copy.png

Last edited by Rahulkool : 13th April 2022 at 22:16.
Rahulkool is offline   (69) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 07:33   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: My first pre-owned | Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Motorcycle section. Thanks for sharing!

Going to our homepage today
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 10:02   #6
BHPian

Great decision to buy it pre owned with almost no real kms on it. Chrome polish was an eye opener and a lesson to not discard good deals just by looks - a little work(mostly DIY) can bring it back to glory.

I'm waiting for the upcoming cruiser with the same engine - I'm ok with waiting till next year(no real riding these days) and save many lakhs going with an expensive brand to satisfy my itch.

Wish you happy riding again.
amods is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 10:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

Restoration of parts are done well.

A matte chrome (or unpolished) looks goes quite well for the engine casing, incase you like an old school look.

Good you swapped the after market exhausts for the stock ones. They look hideous.

You need to pay attention to those tires. Those Pirelli's are good when young. When they age, you start to feel it pretty quick.

There is no escaping the weight of an Interceptor. Its quite bottom heavy. It works in most situations, however, if you ever deal with cross winds, that weight is quite pronounced.

Enjoy.
sandeepmohan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 11:52   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
If you asked me 10 years before that if would buy an "bullet", i would have laughed at you
Even a year ago, I would've snubbed at people who're buying RE. Even I'm wondering what made me turn against such a simple & fun machine today. Even the recent Classic 350 looks B.E.Autiful to me.

Meteor 350? Pls don't make me a poet!!

Welcome to the RE twins club And thanks for sharing the Turtle rust remover, I'm hunting one right now!
aargee is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 14:34   #9
BHPian

Congratulations!
Bike looks stunning and impressive chrome restoration there. Probably looks better than brand new.
somspaple is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 21:26   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Motorcycle section. Thanks for sharing!

Going to our homepage today
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by amods View Post
Great decision to buy it pre owned with almost no real kms on it. Chrome polish was an eye opener and a lesson to not discard good deals just by looks - a little work(mostly DIY) can bring it back to glory.

I'm waiting for the upcoming cruiser with the same engine - I'm ok with waiting till next year(no real riding these days) and save many lakhs going with an expensive brand to satisfy my itch.

Wish you happy riding again.
Yes, i saved quite a lot when compared to new bike. Mechanically its in perfect condition. RE service center was also very helpful in showing the service history, it helped making the decision. Wanted to do DIY only as it helps in understanding the bike and also i like detailing, its very rewarding with this bike, looks really good !

Absolutely, RE is priced these bike so well in India. Engine is really a gem ! Looking at the leaked images of test bike, it should be launched soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Restoration of parts are done well.

A matte chrome (or unpolished) looks goes quite well for the engine casing, incase you like an old school look.

Good you swapped the after market exhausts for the stock ones. They look hideous.

You need to pay attention to those tires. Those Pirelli's are good when young. When they age, you start to feel it pretty quick.

There is no escaping the weight of an Interceptor. Its quite bottom heavy. It works in most situations, however, if you ever deal with cross winds, that weight is quite pronounced.

Enjoy.
Restoration was quite a herculean task, been working on it for last 4-5 Sundays, giving at least 3-4hours each day. But its very rewarding experience to see the results, really worth the efforts.

I have cleaned the engine casing and it has a very matte look now, need to buff it once to get the shine back. Ya event he matte looks nice, but i want to make it as close to a stock bike as possible.

Tyres are in good shape. They are around 2.5years old.

Sure its quite heavy and you feel the weight, specially at very slow speeds or moving it for parking etc. I have noticed that if the tyre pressure is low then handling is completely messed up. It happens in other bikes also but very pronounced in interceptor. Bike is also very front heavy. Feels very planted on the highway due to weight, but suspension is very soft and bottoms out on bumpy roads at high speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Even a year ago, I would've snubbed at people who're buying RE. Even I'm wondering what made me turn against such a simple & fun machine today. Even the recent Classic 350 looks B.E.Autiful to me.

Meteor 350? Pls don't make me a poet!!

Welcome to the RE twins club And thanks for sharing the Turtle rust remover, I'm hunting one right now!
Thanks, Turtle rust remover works well, but you will have to put in lots of elbow grease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somspaple View Post
Congratulations!
Bike looks stunning and impressive chrome restoration there. Probably looks better than brand new.
Thank, it does look stunning, RE has nailed it when it come to looks. Engine is also fantastic, no vibes at all. I think its the only RE engine which you can red line comfortably !
Rahulkool is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th April 2022, 02:15   #11
BHPian

Thanks for sharing. Enjoyed reading the write up.

I've been a Royal Oilfield owner for about 25 years and still have the bike I bought when I turned 19.

Was keen on buying a used Interceptor however like the other gentleman mentioned I have decided to wait for some time - Need to figure out what the company does in the next year in terms of their model line-up.
While I completely understand your reasons for buying a used bike, I am still in two minds about it.

My motorcycle purchases have usually been used bikes because I tend to get bored with them in about 2 years. So need to think about this one a bit more. If the interceptor is a keeper then I’ll look for a new bike which would join the stable of the "not for sale" bikes. If it’s something I need to just have some fun with for a few years then a used bike definitely makes sense.

Some early models of the interceptor had complaints about a wobble from the front fork assembly / wheel. Did you notice anything of that sort on this bike? (This wobble would be different from the air pressure bit that you've mentioned)
theqca is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2022, 07:45   #12

Congrats on finding a great machine !! Even I was in the same boat in terms of RE perception earlier. But they are growing by leaps and bounds and will be the motorcycle brand to habe in 3-4 years or so.
NavtejS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2022, 12:18   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
I have noticed that if the tyre pressure is low then handling is completely messed up. It happens in other bikes also but very pronounced in interceptor. Bike is also very front heavy. Feels very planted on the highway due to weight, but suspension is very soft and bottoms out on bumpy roads at high speeds.
Congrats, a very wise decision to go pre-owned route. Maintaining front tyre pressure is very essential in every RE bike. Don't know why but they behave very erratically if not done so. How are the brakes? RE has some of the worst brakes, the 350 classic eats up brake pads like anything.

Aren't the rear suspensions adjustable?
Sran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2022, 21:28   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theqca View Post
Thanks for sharing. Enjoyed reading the write up.

I've been a Royal Oilfield owner for about 25 years and still have the bike I bought when I turned 19.

Was keen on buying a used Interceptor however like the other gentleman mentioned I have decided to wait for some time - Need to figure out what the company does in the next year in terms of their model line-up.
While I completely understand your reasons for buying a used bike, I am still in two minds about it.

My motorcycle purchases have usually been used bikes because I tend to get bored with them in about 2 years. So need to think about this one a bit more. If the interceptor is a keeper then I’ll look for a new bike which would join the stable of the "not for sale" bikes. If it’s something I need to just have some fun with for a few years then a used bike definitely makes sense.

Some early models of the interceptor had complaints about a wobble from the front fork assembly / wheel. Did you notice anything of that sort on this bike? (This wobble would be different from the air pressure bit that you've mentioned)
Royal oilfield haha, i see what you did there.

To me this looks like a keeper for sure, I am trying to make sure that it looks like straight out of factory floor. I had a budget of 2L, new one would have been completely out of reach. If you have the moolah then going for new bikes makes sense, peace of mind and taking delivery direct from showroom evokes different emotions

Ya i have heard about the front wheel wobble, some folks said its because of wrongly torqued front cone, some said issue with the Pirellis. I am not sure what is it but thankful that haven't faced it on my bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavtejS View Post
Congrats on finding a great machine !! Even I was in the same boat in terms of RE perception earlier. But they are growing by leaps and bounds and will be the motorcycle brand to habe in 3-4 years or so.
Yup, Mr. Sid Lal has done some fantastic work with the brand and products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sran View Post
Congrats, a very wise decision to go pre-owned route. Maintaining front tyre pressure is very essential in every RE bike. Don't know why but they behave very erratically if not done so. How are the brakes? RE has some of the worst brakes, the 350 classic eats up brake pads like anything.

Aren't the rear suspensions adjustable?
Front brake is average, does not have the initial bite like some modern bikes but do work well. you need to put in some effort. Rear brakes seems fine to me.

Yes the rear suspension is adjustable but it seems fine to me, the front is very soft. This is also have to do with the front heavy nature of the bike. I saw some aftermarket suspension and nope cant afford them lol. I could buy a new bike for some of the aftermarket suspension cost, maybe they are made of some precious metal

Last edited by Rahulkool : 15th April 2022 at 21:47.
Rahulkool is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th April 2022, 05:05   #15
BHPian

Congrats on the new bike
You did a really good job cleaning the rust and getting the chrome back shinning like new. It always feels good to read about DIY post like this one. It took me by surprise to see how the chrome had depreciated in about 3 years and with 2400kms. I am assuming the previous owner didn't ride in the rain. You did mention it was parked in a closed Area. Chrome is very difficult to maintain it takes a lot of cleaning and polishing regularly. Often times in such case the rust keeps reoccurring even after you clean the surface of previous rust.
Shonith is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks