Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2022, 19:16   #1

Getting back to motorcycling after 25 years | What bike should I buy?

Dear Fellow Team-BHPians,

I have moved to Tiruvannamalai (tier-2 town) and my work requires me to spend 4-5 days in bangalore every month. This has rekindled my interest in motorbikes where I get the opportunity to drive long distances and as an added benefit, it might (!) be easier to navigate at peak traffic.

Here is my background - The last time I drove was 25 years ago and work took me in a different direction, a 100cc at that. The options were limited back then.

My requirements are (a) commute in local traffic 3-4 days a week (b) ~200km on way driving on highway either to chennai or bangalore (c) Joing likeminded biking groups just to enjoy the ride (the bike must be fun not boring!). Because of the age factor and also personal preferences, I like to classic/retro style bikes. I'm planning to get one which hopefully can last a lifetime.

I have narrowed down to the following.

(a) Honda Highness (Tried 350RS but felt more comfortable on Highness)
(b) RE Interceptor 650
(c) Triumph Street Twin
(d) Triumph Speed Twin

I'm yet to test drive (c) - (d), since its not available in Tiruvannamalai. My questions are

1. Given my driving history and requirements, is it too difficult/risky to consider Triumph bikes (900 and 1200cc). Weight is probably okay since I have driven a borrowed RE Classic long time ago.
2. I see that Triumph services are reasonable and maitenance window is quite adequate. Is heating a problem on city roads? Does de-cat always work? I see mixed reviews here.
3. Is heating a problem with RE Interceptor. The last thing I need is a skin burn, Tiruvannamalai is typically in mid 40's during summer.
4. Any other motorcycle that I should seriously consider. Since I want one for the long term, I'd prefer the bike to be somewhat unique, not flashy but not so common on the roads either.

Your suggestions are much appreciated. TIA for your time.
rajbas is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 17th April 2022, 22:28   #2
BHPian

re: Getting back to motorcycling after 25 years | What bike should I buy?

I believe these four options are at different budget levels. I have a RE Meteor 350, and the Honda Hiness is quite similar to it in terms of experience I guess - I would say probably the most user-friendly and pocket-friendly from the four options. My use case was somewhat similar, but I had kept a moderate budget . Quite happy with my Meteor. Back to riding after a gap of close to 20 years.

Of course motorcycle buying decisions are never 100% logical - I would suggest, test drive all of them, ask your heart which one strikes a chord with you and will keep you happy, do a supporting analysis on features, reliability, performance, service etc - pros and cons, and still go with your heart unless there are any strong negative points that come up.
Bigzero is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 00:04   #3
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to TBHP

Some heads ups :
- I wouldn't recommend getting anything which has its service center beyond 50kms of your residence but in the end its your call based on how the bike makes you feel.

- I have heard of issues with Triumph workshops, check our threads for the same. But if you have good reviews from owners about the one you're buying from then it shouldn't be an issue.

- Since the last you rode was 25 years ago and a 100cc machine I would recommend to first TD the shortlisted bikes to get a better idea of your requirements.
Like the Interceptor is an excellent proposition but issues with the footpeg placement and engine heat can make it uncomfortable in city traffic.
Stuff like these can only be checked on a detailed test ride.

Based on your preferences I can suggest to TD the following :
- Classic 350
- H'ness
- CB300R

Last edited by shancz : 18th April 2022 at 00:05. Reason: ed td
shancz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 00:05   #4
BHPian

I had once rented a Dominar for Bangalore - Tiruvannamalai travel and another time, a Continental GT. Both were good but, surprisingly Continental GT was better, smoother and very silent on highways. Shoulder pains when riding inside Bangalore, else all was good. Unlike in cities, the bike stayed very cool. Right now I bought a used ER6N mainly for Tiruvannamalai commutes, but did not get time to ride it yet.

Considering the usual road conditions which wear off before even being built, you may even consider Xpulse 200.

Last edited by GTO : 18th April 2022 at 14:09. Reason: Poorly Typed Posts. Please type your posts out perfectly (language, punctuation, grammar, spacing, capitalization)
subincb is offline   (4) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 18th April 2022, 04:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

Folks like you are exactly why Kawasaki has extended its 650cc parallel twin range so wide. Do check out the Z650RS. It looks retro for sure but rides much more like a modern bike ought to. I mean don't you think you should be able to enjoy the progress we have made in 25 years apart from just tubeless radials?
IshaanIan is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 06:29   #6

Thanks BigZero. Yes, trying hard to stay away from questioning the investment. Looking at something below 10 lakhs.

Thank you Shancz! Honda and RE showrooms in Tiruvannamalai have limited options. Honda BigWing recommends against using local service centers. Liked the Highness TD. Want to drive higher cc bikes and get a feel.

subincb, I use a couple of routes where except for a 3-4 km stretch, the roads are good. Ruled out Keerthi Triumph Bangalore precisely for the service challenges. I'll considering Khivraj Triumph in Chennai.

Thanks Ishaan. My knowledge is very limited on the technical aspects, rely primarily on the research done by others here for the TD candidate list! . I havent compared the tecnical specs of Triumph Speed/Street twin (supposedly updated) with Kawasaki. Will add ZS650RS to the list and compare.
rajbas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 07:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

The Honda CB 350 is a solid performer. The power is just right and the bike rides very smooth. Soft clutch and good mileage, to boot. The only negative is the tall fifth gear (Which doesn't come into play in the City). It's been a 'trouble-free' two years. I would 'high'ly recommend this 'High'ness!
Attached Thumbnails
Getting back to motorcycling after 25 years | What bike should I buy?-img_7463.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 07:18   #8
BHPian

What speed do you drive your car from hosur till you exit chennai road ? If its above 100, and your cruising speed is generally above 100 on empty highway then do not buy meteor cb350 xpulse etc. One of the criteria for me to look for higher capacity bike was to cruise at 100-120 in empty roads and ample power to push forward at those speeds if need arises. You will get used to the road very soon and its risky going slow in that highway.
subincb is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 08:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest the CB500X or the Versys 650. With that kind of commute, you can't go wrong with either of these. Plus they are almost the do-it-all bikes hence you won't feel the need to have a second bike in your garage in an years time when you get seriously comfortable with motorcycles.

I understand you are looking for retro styled bikes but trust me, am your age and form over function is probably a key aspect not to ignore

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 18th April 2022 at 08:37.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 09:06   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajbas View Post
My requirements are (a)...
(b) RE Interceptor 650
(c) Triumph Street Twin
(d) Triumph Speed Twin

I'm yet to test drive (c) - (d), since its not available in Tiruvannamalai
Quote:
2. I see that Triumph services are reasonable and maitenance window is quite adequate. Is heating a problem on city roads? Does de-cat always work? I see mixed reviews here
Out of all the ones listed above, except for (b) you might have to make a substantial ride for getting the motorcycle serviced; atleast with Triumphs, 15K Kms, but Honda every 6K Km. Not saying it's impossible or difficult for you, but, keep that in mind pls considering the cost of fuel & most importantly TIME.

RE & Triumphs are going to intimidate with their weight until you get used to them. Certainly in Tiruvannamalai, the traffic isn't that bad (compared to Chennai or Bangalore), so they're OK.

Also be prepared to add about 400 Km roundtrip either to Chennai or Bangalore for getting the bike serviced.

Quote:
3. Is heating a problem with RE Interceptor. The last thing I need is a skin burn, Tiruvannamalai is typically in mid 40's during summer
As an Owner, these are all not a concern at all. But remember, this comes from a person who is riding for over 25 years with an inclination towards humans being adaptable; so human minds are best to beat the heat & seat & the rest are best to tweet!!

From point of price with RE, everything is absolutely great & everything else can be tolerated.

Quote:
Any other motorcycle that I should seriously consider. Since I want one for the long term, I'd prefer the bike to be somewhat unique, not flashy but not so common on the roads either
May be the newly launched Suzuki VStorm 250; should be insanely comfortable on roads, ASC should be located closer to you; there should be very less takers due to it's price; but defeats your purpose of flashy; or Gixxer 250?

Personal suggestion - May be rent out some motorcycles from Bangalore (Wicked Ride, no personal affiliation) for a week or so before plunging into buying one.
aargee is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 09:20   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

rajbas, welcome to the forum. You seem to have a pretty large budget but considering your motorcycling history, I would suggest that you dont splurge all your money in one shot.

To me, there are 3 segments (just my categorization, based on your situation) that your options slot into

- Beginner Friendly : Honda CB350 + Royal Enfield Meteor + Royal Enfield Himalayan + Honda CB300
These can manage the city traffic well and will not be frenetic on the highways. You will love these options. Which one connects with you the most, only you can say. Since you are coming back to riding after 25 years, this is ideally your best first step. You may outgrow these bikes in a few years. Thats fine. You can use the saved up money to buy another bike later on.

- All Rounders : Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 + Honda CB500X
The gentlemen bikes. They can do the city commute well. They can handle the highway rides very well, without feeling stressed. They effectively straddle the gap between the other two categories. Both bikes are keepers. Royal Enfield has the edge on the service network. The Interceptor might need some small upgrades to make it perfect for you, the CB500X most likely wont. The Honda costs 2x the Royal Enfield, but still is a very competent motorcycle. If you spend some time with it, you just might start to feel that the CB500X is worth its price. Honestly, with your background, you could buy either of them and be happy for the next few decades. Please test ride both before making any decision.

- Big Boys : Kawasaki 650s + Triumph twins + Any other big bike
These are excellent bikes but I dont see them being a good fit for your use case. You might struggle with heat, heavy clutches etc in peak traffic. You wont with say a Meteor or a CB500X. That said, they give you great performance on the highways. The lack of a service network can be a problem. If you pick a Triumph and you face an issue while you are in Bangalore, you cant realistically ride to Madras to get it checked. I would suggest that you avoid this segment for now. If you outgrow your beginner friendly motorcycle or your all rounder, then move up to this segment in 3 - 4 years. For now, it is quite possible that you buy one of these big boys, and 6 months later, you will look to get yourself a more friendly motorcycle, because these bikes make too much power and you need to build your skill set.

If you are the sorts that will enjoy highway rides, get an all rounder. Keep a decent amount aside for riding gear. Get the usual motorcycle accessories. Happy shopping.
neil.jericho is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 11:59   #12

subincb, 120kmph typically when its safe.

Nilesh5417, I'll check them out.

Aargee, Given the need to drive on highway, I had twin cylinder in mind. One of the reasons not to readily go with Honda Hness is that I am waiting to borrow the bike for a day or two and use it on the highway. Not sure if v-strom fits the bill here unless I go for 650. I'm thinking weight would be an asset during highway rides.

Neil.Jericho, very useful Neil. This gives me so much clarity. I'm somewhere in-between the All rounder and the big boys. Let me see if CB500x fits the bill. Triumph because i Feel its unostentatious, packs enough power and always wanted one while I was abroad.

Again, thanks a lot everyone for your guidance. CB500x or Kawasaki was not even in my radar until you brought them up.
Old 18th April 2022, 12:50   #13
Senior - BHPian

I got CB350 Limited edition 3 months back and I am really liking it. Its a breeze to ride on highways and in city also it moves like a charm. Only issue is tall gearing but one get used to it. Its very stable and light to ride once you are on move. Average I am getting is around 35 Kmpl in city. On highways you can get more than 40. I would suggest to get long ride and decide.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 14:27   #14

Re: Getting back to bikes after 25 years. What should I buy?

Quote:
(b) RE Interceptor 650
(c) Triumph Street Twin
(d) Triumph Speed Twin
Honda Highness is a very refined and reliable bike. It meets all your requirements and is a wallet friendly option. However, for long highway rides I think it is a little under powered. You might think about an upgrade in a couple of years.

RE Interceptor has a very capable engine for highways but heats up your thighs in city traffic. The long narrow seats are very uncomfortable for long rides. I had a bit of back pain in the 2 days ride with the Interceptor.

Triumph Street Twin is a better interceptor with very comfortable seats and riding position. It is more powerful and as a byproduct generates moderate heat in congested city riding.
I don't think you should be considering the Speed twin for your requirements and experience.

Quote:
Any other motorcycle that I should seriously consider. Since I want one for the long term, I'd prefer the bike to be somewhat unique, not flashy but not so common on the roads either.
I would also suggest you to take a look at Z650RS. It's a mid spot of above choices. It has enough power for the highways, easy to ride in traffic and has better heat management. The heat from engine is directed towards your feet and ankle like in the street twin. So, forget about riding in sandals or flip flops(safety being another reason).
5hank3r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 15:44   #15
BHPian

Re: Getting back to motorcycling after 25 years | What bike should I buy?

Quote:
Dear Fellow Team-BHPians,

Here is my background - The last time I drove was 25 years ago and work took me in a different direction, a 100cc at that. The options were limited back then.

My requirements are (a) commute in local traffic 3-4 days a week (b) ~200km on way driving on highway either to chennai or bangalore (c) Joing likeminded biking groups just to enjoy the ride (the bike must be fun not boring!). Because of the age factor and also personal preferences, I like to classic/retro style bikes. I'm planning to get one which hopefully can last a lifetime.

I have narrowed down to the following.

(b) RE Interceptor 650
(c) Triumph Street Twin
(d) Triumph Speed Twin
Hi rajbas, looking at your requirements and your history, I would recommend you to borrow a RE 650 for 15 days if possible and then test ride a Street Twin. Either of these two should substantially do what you need the bike to do. I ask you not to write off the Street Twin as after comparing the both. I was really convinced that the Street Twin was the right one, also since I wanted to hold on to the bike for longer period. In light traffic the heat is manageable and it is comfortable to ride at 100-120 kmph for mid to long distance. However, it might be an issue in Bangalore traffic and I hear Triumph service in Bangalore is one to be avoided. You could try to broaden your list and check out the Z650rs, if you want to stick to the retros. Else, I have to agree with the suggestions above - CB500X or Versys 650 should be on that list of yours.

If for any reason you do zero down on the Street Twin, do try to locate a pre-owned. I was very wisely and rightfully advised by the forum members to find myself a a pre-owned Street Twin and am really happy that I went went it. (https://www.team-bhp.com/news/used-o...48-replacement )

Happy riding!
mindshack is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks