Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2023, 19:29   #76
BHPian

Re: TVS Ronin Review & Initial Impressions

Again, no disclosure about Ronin sales in Dec 2022. What could be the matter, here? I'm interested in this bike, but I really don't want to end up with a dud with no resale.

https://www.rushlane.com/tvs-sales-b...-12458910.html
Old 27th January 2023, 19:56   #77
Senior - BHPian

^^ As of now it is a market dud. Better choose something else.
Gansan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 21:04   #78
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I personally feel the reason for poor sales is design and not the features or performance. It is a very polarizing design.
The same bike in different clothing would have worked well.
m8002? is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 18:34   #79
Senior - BHPian

For the first time I am noticing a couple or three Ronins in my locality. I think the bike will grow on one once it is purchased and ridden. Hopefully the sales will pick up and it will have it's niche. It will help if we know the monthly sales figures.

I have half a mind to buy one for my self, vascillating between it and an EV. I strongly recommended it to my son but he went ahead and bought the Apache RTR 200 with dual channel ABS.
Gansan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 00:13   #80
BHPian

I have also been looking to resume biking after 13 years (drove Suzuki Fiero F2 last). I am 41 and 5'7". Never liked RE bikes due to the annoying noise they make through exhaust (no offense to RE owners).

I had my back issues in my 30s so just could not gather enough courage to resume 2 wheelers. However I have been driving Honda Activa since last 2 years that gave me a little confidence to pick up motorcycling again (also for a major requirement to travel to Mumbai from Pune and back at least once in a month).

So finally took a plunge and started TDing motorcycles suitable for long distance driving with flickability to drive in cities as well (pune mumbai is almost 40% - 45% city driving).

So here goes my 2 cents on the test drives:

Vstrom: My love for Suzuki so was the first bike I TDed, it was a love at first sight in almost every aspect but a let down due to my own height constraint so was out. I just could not manage the bike.

Gixxer: I could no more ride a racer bike due to its riding stance so it was out too and so I did not TD any similar bike.

Honda Hiness: Again love at first sight, amazing weight management, suspension and driving dynamics. I was in for the same however thought I will TD others as well.

RE bikes: Meteor, Himalayan, Hunter - could not manage due to their weights plus suspension was disturbing due to my back issues so rejected outrightly.

Jawa, Yezdi - Could not manage due to their weights so rejected outrightly.

Kawasaki W175: This one motorcyle impressed me a lot. Perfectly balanced, sprung and drove like a charm. The biggest let down was that I was trying to shift to a higher gear at 70 kmph to get better drivability however the higher band lacked power. Only if Kawasaki could make a 300cc cruiser motorcyle as of today for India, it would have been the number one in sales without any second thought.

Avenger 220 cruiser: Perfect suspension but very bad handling at low speeds like turning and jerky gear shifts so rejected the same.

TVS Ronin: Suzuki DNA felt everywhere when I TD one. I agree that a motorcycle is more than a machine when enthsiasts like us drive one, but I strongly feel that it has to be first a perfect combination of balance, comfort, power, torque to obtain that desired drivability. I found it more manageable than Hiness and even better sounding than the same.

Points that went in favour of Ronin:

1. Manageable weight for my height, age and weight (I am 70 kgs)
2. Sound from exhaust is like a typical suzuki motorcycle, not too loud, thumping and noisy
3. Torque available in the entire revv range (I do not intend to take the motorclcle beyond 90 kmph)
4. Comfortable suspension setup both in front and the back (I concsiously took the bike over bad patches, you will find a lot of them in pune city)
5. Confidence inspiring ride due to ABS
6. Perfect braking power
7. Ease of riding at low speeds on higher gears and picking up speed from there
8. Riding stance and seat comfort (This depends a lot on riders' height and weight though)
9. Oh yes, that instantaneous springing of life in the motorcycle by that little starter switch
10. Uniqueness (Have you ever seen a motorcycle like that before?)

I had almost given up the hope that I would be able to find a perfect motorcycle for me since Honda Hiness was too raw and heavy sounding for me, Kawasaki W175 lacked power in the top revv band and others were rejected due to the reasons mentioned above. This all till I TDed Ronin.

I am expecting the delivery of the metallic grey top end model here in Pune for myself in the next 3 days with number plates and everything.

Hope to have a wonderful dealer and delivery experience and enjoy my upcoming rides with my new love. Expecting that my back would be happy with Ronin and I would be able to re-live those wonderful motorcycling days, signing off for now.

Would be soon publishing my wonderful ownership experience with few travelogues to share.

Best Regards,
Achint

Last edited by achintatri : 6th February 2023 at 00:17.
achintatri is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 09:03   #81
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by achintatri View Post
Kawasaki W175:

I had almost given up the hope that I would be able to find a perfect motorcycle for me since Honda Hiness was too raw and heavy sounding for me, Kawasaki W175 lacked power in the top revv band and others were rejected due to the reasons mentioned above. This all till I TDed Ronin.

I am expecting the delivery of the metallic grey top end model here in Pune for myself in the next 3 days with number plates and everything.
Your top 2 choices are ditto as mine. I somehow loved W175 but lack of service center in my place made me to buy a CT125x and retain my RE TB500 aka vibrator. Congrats on right choice for right age.
KPR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 13:38   #82
BHPian

Its been 6 months since I got my Ronin top end and its been a mixed experience.

My biggest peeve with the bike is the price, it feels way over priced for the top end and the blue tooth connectivity is not user friendly and tends to be slow. It is a hassle to connect it each time and I have used it very rarely. The price could be at least 10K lower to make it appealing with the competitor the Hunter.

Looks are subjective and for all the bad mouthing that Ronin has got since it broke cover I do not think that its a bad shape. Odd yes but not the ugly duckling it is made out to be, I still think there are other uglies on the road.

The bike is easy to handle in the city and the weight is not apparent unless you need to push the bike otherwise it handles well, is quick off the line though it loses steam soon. It feels assured on the road and the size is deceptive, it is actually bigger than it seems and is quite comfortable for long rides.

If only TVS had priced it, positioned and promoted it better it would do better than it is doing now. It looks like like a lemon for TVS and they are not willing to share its sales numbers as they seem to be hidden under the Apache sales numbers.

A real pity, I expected much more from TVS when I bought an unknown offering from them
clementw is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 21:32   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clementw View Post
If only TVS had priced it, positioned and promoted it better it would do better than it is doing now. It looks like like a lemon for TVS and they are not willing to share its sales numbers as they seem to be hidden under the Apache sales numbers.

A real pity, I expected much more from TVS when I bought an unknown offering from them
As per TVS, Q3 FY '23 Post Results Conference Call January 24, 2023, CEO K. N. Radhakrishnan replies,
"Ronin is doing extremely well. It has already come to now close to 3,000 per month. And it will slowly and steadily grow because this is a brand which is getting built. So, I think it is a good thing. And in Q4 also, it will do much, much better. So that is a broad indication on Ronin"
Source: https://www.tvsmotor.com/-/media/124...38B35AE96.ashx

It would be better to launch a Ronin model without bluetooth with price 10k less than top model. It would lift up the sales.
ajay0612 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 22:49   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay0612 View Post
It would be better to launch a Ronin model without bluetooth with price 10k less than top model. It would lift up the sales.
The middle version should come with dual channel abs without Bluetooth connectivity. I am curious about the RDE2 compliant versions. Most others are getting new features and/or colors. Hope to see a better version of Ronin.
ani_meher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2023, 18:25   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Hope to see a better version of Ronin.
What would you like to change?

I would like:
  • A higher grab rail for better pillion comfort and safety
  • A front mudguard extending further forward to prevent road dirt in the rider's face and lower down
Old 11th February 2023, 19:32   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by catkins View Post

I would like:
  • A front mudguard extending further forward to prevent road dirt in the rider's face and lower down
If I buy Ronin 2023, I am planning to replace the grab rail by the company accessory of rear rack. The current version appears bare minimum.

As for mudguard, in multiple reviews, I read that the rear mudguard does a good job in avoiding spraying mud on the bike or biker, it sprays a lot of mud on the vehicles following the bike. I haven't read / seen any complaint about front mudguard. Any reason for this suggestion, or simple aesthetic?

My hopes from the new version:
  • Smoother engine at higher RPM, keeping the current low end performance
  • Since current seat appears 1.5 seater, and not a full 2 seater, I would like to see a single seat option too, similar to bobber motorcycles.
  • A new chrome color scheme for full motorcycle, or at least the rear mudguard. Since the motorcycle is mostly metal, this should be doable.
  • Heal + toe shifter (should be very easily doable). Heal only shifter doesn't suit the classic image.
  • Mid version with dual ABS, and not just golden USD.
ani_meher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2023, 19:24   #87
BHPian

Quote:
I haven't read / seen any complaint about front mudguard. Any reason for this suggestion, or simple aesthetic?
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post5444449 (TVS Ronin Review & Initial Impressions)
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post5449974 (TVS Ronin Review & Initial Impressions)
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post5455413 (TVS Ronin Review & Initial Impressions)

Quote:
I would also like a smaller turning circle

Quote:
My hopes from the new version:
  • Heal + toe shifter (should be very easily doable). Heal only shifter doesn't suit the classic image
+1 to that.

Last edited by Axe77 : 13th February 2023 at 15:49. Reason: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD! Thanks.
catkins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 14:03   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay0612 View Post
Absolutely agree. That app by itself is so non user friendly and of no use for regular city users. Also choice of colours is limited to just 2 for 2 channel ABS. That is absolutely denying customers who want more sober looking bikes.
Old 14th February 2023, 15:40   #89
BHPian

T-Rex Comes HOME

I remember when I could ride, the wheels were in the air.
No matter where she went, 'twas a love affair.

Those revving goals and throttling dreams, with thrilling dawns and dusky beams .
Enduring was the every ride, hopes in the air and heart with that pride.

I could map the universe with every gear, and stride the same then without any fear.
Destination or no destination, the spirit was always there.

No matter where she went, 'twas a love affair.

This one is dedicated to my last motorcycle 'Suzuki Fiero F2' that I rode for 6 years and last in 2010. It has been 13 years since then and I have been struggling with my fear to ride those beautiful two legged machines again, had it not been for my back issues. I turned 41 last year yeah.

So finally, I gathered courage (my appreciation to my fellow t-bhpians here) and thought why not give one more chance to yet another love affair and so comes my new love I call the 'T-Rex'. My new TVS Ronin TD.

Initial Impressions:

What a color & what a sound,
with beastly presence yet manners so profound.
I still ride like a king though my kingdom might be released,
Don't worry the beast won't harm you, it's me who is unleashed.

To be continued..

Coming soon with the Street Stance, Ride Experience and Ownership Report.

Happy Valentine's Day everyone. Keep Riding, Keep Smiling.
Attached Thumbnails
TVS Ronin Review & Initial Impressions-trex.jpeg  

achintatri is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 18:28   #90
BHPian

Quote:
I would like:
My additions
Handle bar riser desperately required for short riders. The stock mirrors are of no use when handle reach is adjusted for a comfortable seating position.
Bullfrog is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks