Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2022, 14:23   #16
BHPian

Re: Hero Karizma ZMR | Restore or replace?

Dont keep motorcycles without ABS. For me ABS in motorcycles is a must.Sell it off and a buy a new or used motorcycle with ABS.
fireblade007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 14:25   #17
BHPian

I would suggest doing a complete restoration (starting with the mechanical) since I have had a similar experience with my Honda Stunner (No mechanical issues though). I guess what you have to find is a good mechanic first of all.

My bike was in an abandoned condition ever since I became an expat, but I never wanted to sell my first bike and it was completely restored 2 years back, mechanically it was in decent condition but there were rust and many other broken body parts. Everything was procured and some of them were refurbished. Below is a short video.

kamilharis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 18:01   #18
BHPian

Hey efuture. Any update on the ZMR?
saitvsk23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2022, 10:14   #19
BHPian

Update - Sold the vehicle, since Hero service center mechanic suggested it is not worth to spend anything on this as it is very difficult to contain the vibration in the vehicle. He quoted close to 43k without any engine work and if the vibration still persists post the parts replacements, it will cost another further depending on the engine spares/whole new engine.

Thank you all for your valuable suggestions,
efuture is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2023, 14:57   #20

Restoring my Hero Karizma R

Hello people,

I own a Hero Karizma R (2013 Manufacturing year) and I want to restore it. It's more or less getting the bike back into normal running condition. I will draft all the issues I faced during the entire 2-3 year window of my use. The following are the issues:

The first major repair came in around 2017/2018 I guess, where my I gave my bike to a friend of mine who forgot to change the engine oil and rode for long time without any clue, and finally one day the bike/engine gave up. I took the bike the Hero Service Center JIGANI Bengaluru, and now that service center is closed. They said the engine is seized and we need to remove the entire engine assembly, reassemble it and replaced the timing kit assembly as well.

Keeping all that aside, I'm still having issues while during the normal run of the bike. I cannot rev my engine till 100kmph means, and it struggles a lot in order to cross 80kmph which was not the case earlier. The sound of the engine doesn't feel right. I'm not able to explain it properly but I guess we all can relate to this, like we knew that it is not right and at the same time we don't know what is wrong too. There are some other minor issues as well like some noise coming from chain sprocket area and some rattling noise from front dome and visor region.

I need help from people in this forum, so that I can find a really good mechanic for my Karizma R and get the bike running. If there's anyone whose really good at restoring the bike, I want to meet them and get my bike ready. Please guide me, so that I can get my R, racing revving again on the streets on Bengaluru.

Sources: I saw a similar thread related to restoring the old OG Karizma on the same forum which gave me a hope that I could also someone in Bengaluru.

Link: https://www.team-bhp.com/news/flood-...-just-rs-14230

Important Points:
  1. My location: I stay in HSR Layout, sector 6 Bengaluru
  2. Bike is idle for almost 5-6 months (in between I used to start the bike)
  3. Number of kilometers is 90k kms
The main issue is the bike is not running smoothly after that major service. I just want to find the right person and sort out all the issues once in for all.

Thanks in Advance,
Chris Ledger.
Old 4th February 2023, 18:44   #21
BHPian

Re: Restoring my Hero Karizma R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Ledger View Post
Hello people,

I own a Hero Karizma R (2013 Manufacturing year) and I want to restore it. It's more or less getting the bike back into normal running condition. I will draft all the issues I faced during the entire 2-3 year window of my use. The following are the issues:

The first major repair came in around 2017/2018 I guess, where my I gave my bike to a friend of mine who forgot to change the engine oil and rode for long time without any clue, and finally one day the bike/engine gave up. I took the bike the Hero Service Center JIGANI Bengaluru, and now that service center is closed. They said the engine is seized and we need to remove the entire engine assembly, reassemble it and replaced the timing kit assembly as well.

Keeping all that aside, I'm still having issues while during the normal run of the bike. I cannot rev my engine till 100kmph means, and it struggles a lot in order to cross 80kmph which was not the case earlier. The sound of the engine doesn't feel right. I'm not able to explain it properly but I guess we all can relate to this, like we knew that it is not right and at the same time we don't know what is wrong too. There are some other minor issues as well like some noise coming from chain sprocket area and some rattling noise from front dome and visor region.

I need help from people in this forum, so that I can find a really good mechanic for my Karizma R and get the bike running. If there's anyone whose really good at restoring the bike, I want to meet them and get my bike ready. Please guide me, so that I can get my R, racing revving again on the streets on Bengaluru.

Sources: I saw a similar thread related to restoring the old OG Karizma on the same forum which gave me a hope that I could also someone in Bengaluru.

Important Points:
The main issue is the bike is not running smoothly after that major service. I just want to find the right person and sort out all the issues once in for all.

Thanks in Advance,
Chris Ledger.

Hi Chris,

I'm happy that you want to restore this gem of a motorcycle and use it. I've given a previous detailed answer on the same thread. I've mentioned a few key points to take care of during the restoration, and since it's Bangalore there are many BHPians who can guide you to the proper person to restore this beauty.

If it were me, I would get that engine overhaul done. Considering that this is a classic Honda architecture of the engine, any trained mechanic who has a good reputation with Karizmas will do the job. I'm telling you, invest in this bike, and it'll never let you down again. It needs a thorough diesel clean of the interior parts, replacement of vital parts like the piston and its other components, fresh oil and consumables, and then you're all good to go.

Happy Riding!
saitvsk23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 13:59   #22

Re: Restoring my Hero Karizma R

Quote:
Originally Posted by saitvsk23 View Post
Hi Chris,

I'm happy that you want to restore this gem of a motorcycle and use it. I've given a previous detailed answer on the same thread. I've mentioned a few key points to take care of during the restoration, and since it's Bangalore there are many BHPians who can guide you to the proper person to restore this beauty.

If it were me, I would get that engine overhaul done. Considering that this is a classic Honda architecture of the engine, any trained mechanic who has a good reputation with Karizmas will do the job. I'm telling you, invest in this bike, and it'll never let you down again. It needs a thorough diesel clean of the interior parts, replacement of vital parts like the piston and its other components, fresh oil and consumables, and then you're all good to go.

Happy Riding!
Hi Sai,

Thank you for the insights and support. Yeah, even I feel the same about investing on this bike. I'm just waiting for someone from Bengaluru that could reply to this post, so that I can take proper action. I'm just tired with the showroom folks (past experiences), not sure how they're operating right now. I just hope that I could find someone who could do the overhaul and get those wheels on the road back again.

Happy and Safe Riding !!
Chris Ledger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 16:13   #23
BHPian

I won't take much space here as I see others have shared their valuable expertise on overhauling as an option.

Having been in this situation before with the CBZ classic. I will only say it's wise to sell the bike and buy a new 125cc pocket rocket.

On the flip side, restoring the old classics is always adventurous. The joy you get once the bike is up and running is out of this world. But then the expenses often might not justify the efforts.

Practicality vs. Emotions...it's your preference.
virajvroom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 20:12   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Sai,

Thank you for the insights and support. Yeah, even I feel the same about investing on this bike. I'm just waiting for someone from Bengaluru that could reply to this post, so that I can take proper action. I'm just tired with the showroom folks (past experiences), not sure how they're operating right now. I just hope that I could find someone who could do the overhaul and get those wheels on the road back again.

Happy and Safe Riding !!
Will definitely recommend not going to the service centers. They'll rip you off bigtime, and only stock floating (fast selling) spares like chain kits, etc. You'll be in trouble if you rely on them for all your parts.

So if I were you, this would be my course of action :

1. Find a good mechanic from Bengaluru.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...estored-2.html (15-year old Karizma submerged in flooded basement | EDIT: Now restored)

This is the link to the thread where a flooded karizma was fully restored. Perhaps the same garage which had done the impeccable work here might help your cause. And also, the OP of that thread has his private messages disabled, so couldn't message him. You can directly post a reply in that thread asking the contact details of that FNG.

2. Find a private parts stocker for all your part needs. There are plenty of people on Instagram, one such page is Raj Auto Spares. They deal mostly with Impulse / XPulse parta, but they stock Karizma parts too. Including hard to find ones like the brake calipers, discs, etc.

3. Get your bike done and enjoy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virajvroom View Post
I won't take much space here as I see others have shared their valuable expertise on overhauling as an option.

Having been in this situation before with the CBZ classic. I will only say it's wise to sell the bike and buy a new 125cc pocket rocket.

On the flip side, restoring the old classics is always adventurous. The joy you get once the bike is up and running is out of this world. But then the expenses often might not justify the efforts.

Sir, these are 2 different cases. The classic CBZ is one of the Bikes i whole-heartedly drool over, being a 90's kid. But its based on an entirely different platform. It is quite different compared to the engine of the Karizma plarform.

The Karizma platform was derived from the legendary CRF230 platform, detuned and was given to Hero Honda to be used in this. Hero Honda had milked most out of this platform by adding Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI) to the base engine, and called it the ZMR. Entire engine, gearing ratios, everything is same, but just because of the method of fuel delivery, both the models feel worlds apart.

And also, the entire Karizma platform was made from 2003 to almost 2017 or 2018 I guess. This is almost 15 years of production, and a lot of spares. Whereas the Classic CBZ was sold from 1999 to 2004. The CBZ Star wasn't a hit model, so that platform became extinct quite fast.

So, Chris's odds of restoring his ZMR to its past glory without much hiccups are higher.
saitvsk23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 10:34   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by virajvroom View Post

Hi virajvroom,

Thank you for the insight, but as you know, we all enthusiasts sometimes go with some emotional baggage. This is my first bike and I can't even imagine selling it off and buy a new one or just get a new bike. I even accept about the issues I may or may not get after the overhaul. It's purely emotional decision I took just to keep those wheels running

Happy and Safe Riding
Regards,
Chris!
Chris Ledger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 11:33   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Hi virajvroom,

Thank you for the insight, but as you know, we all enthusiasts sometimes go with some emotional baggage. This is my first bike and I can't even imagine selling it off and buy a new one or just get a new bike. I even accept about the issues I may or may not get after the overhaul. It's purely emotional decision I took just to keep those wheels running

Happy and Safe Riding
Regards,
Chris!
Haha. Restoring it is then. Share the project pics and progress once you start
Old 7th February 2023, 12:12   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saitvsk23 View Post
Sir, these are 2 different cases. The classic CBZ is one of the Bikes i whole-heartedly drool over, being a 90's kid. But its based on an entirely different platform. It is quite different compared to the engine of the Karizma plarform.

The Karizma platform was derived from the legendary CRF230 platform, detuned and was given to Hero Honda to be used in this. Hero Honda had milked most out of this platform by adding Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI) to the base engine, and called it the ZMR. Entire engine, gearing ratios, everything is same, but just because of the method of fuel delivery, both the models feel worlds apart.

And also, the entire Karizma platform was made from 2003 to almost 2017 or 2018 I guess. This is almost 15 years of production, and a lot of spares. Whereas the Classic CBZ was sold from 1999 to 2004. The CBZ Star wasn't a hit model, so that platform became extinct quite fast.

So, Chris's odds of restoring his ZMR to its past glory without much hiccups are higher.
Sorry man. I beg to differ. It's not about technicalities. So it's not CBZ vs. ZMR. It's about Old vs. New and the cost at which you get the pleasure of restoration. My response was based on hands-on experience restoring a few old vehicles. As shared, it's all about perspectives. Emotions vs. Practicality. If you enjoy restoring, go ahead and be ready to deal with the regrets if things fail and the costs exceed your original expectations. If a person feels that INR750 for a single indicator is costly and a budget of INR 2 lakhs for a new bike is high (both of which I agree with), then I believe as people who have already got their hands dirty, we need to share neutral, unbiased insights.
Old 8th February 2023, 17:07   #28
BHPian

Karizma R is a great motorcycle. Dream of many. Restoring it is a decision made purely
from heart. unlike other bikes of its time, this still has that character to look distinct in the crowd.
Good luck
Old 8th February 2023, 21:22   #29
BHPian

KARIZMA restoration: help available in Bengaluru

Quote:
Hello people,

Important Points:

Thanks in Advance,
Chris Ledger.
I've been crazy about KARIZMA and ended up buying 8 KARIZMAs which include the first gen KARIZMA 223 Premium Sports, KARIZMA R, ZMR Version 1 and ZMR version 2.

I wanted to make a separate thread for these crazy restoration but didn't find time to click the pics or even login to TEAMBHP for so long.

There are several FB Forums for KARIZMA where there are helpful threads for restoration. I do post my restoration videos when I find time away from my busy IT HR schedule.

In Bengaluru we have an Ex.Hero Honda technician whom we call as KARIZMA DOCTOR, Syed Muthaheer who runs SUNRISE MOTOR WORKS. Please find him on INSTAGRAM with the same name and his contact number is +919880221277.

KARIZMA is an emotion and though it's underpowered in this day and age, it is sufficient for a long ride and those who've been on a well maintained KARIZMA would never part with it
JEHU is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2023, 21:27   #30
BHPian

I'm also riding in the same boat, have declined a couple of offers only because I dream of restoring it someday and it's my first bike. Also because of the fact that I had asked for a splendor however my mom knew my heart was stuck on 'karishma' (that's how she called it).

Looking for leads in NCR to help with the restoration.

Clicked somewhere between Leh and Sarchu...
Attached Thumbnails
Hero Karizma ZMR | Restore or replace?-img_20230208_212448.jpg  

Last edited by Rapidholic : 8th February 2023 at 21:32. Reason: Typo
Rapidholic is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks