Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2022, 17:19   #1
BHPian

Ather rider fined for having no PUC certificate

An Ather EV rider from Kerala was fined for not having Pollution Under Control certificate.
Source: Rushlane https://www.rushlane.com/ather-elect...-12448759.html
Attached Images

corvus corax is offline   (47) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 19:27   #2
BHPian

Re: Ather rider fined for having no PUC certificate

He is fined for indirect polluting. Don't underestimate the policeman, he knew that the charging was done using energy generated by a coal powered plant.

P.S - For those who didn't get it, it's just sarcasm!
saikarthik is offline   (91) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 23:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvus corax View Post
An Ather EV rider from Kerala was fined for not having Pollution Under Control certificate.
Best part is that the PUCC status of the scooter is even updated on mParivahan (valid upto 25-May-2023) and also, the age of vehicle is just 3 months. So, even if it was a regular scooter, how can a challan be issued.

Ather rider fined for having no PUC certificate-screenshot_20220908223713_nextgen-mparivahan.png
AutoNoob is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 23:09   #4
BHPian

On serious note, this has to be take to court for refund and misuse of power.

At least a twitter post may be useful to get an apology.
Mafia is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 01:27   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvus corax View Post
An Ather EV rider from Kerala was fined for not having Pollution certificate
I'm not sure why there's this assumption that the traffic cops must honestly write what they practice. We've all had too many interactions with these gents over years to be that naive. This rather sounds like one of those "bargain" fines with both parties settling amicably for a lower penalty in lieu of some other offense with a higher penalty.There was a similar thread sometime back where the written offense was inadequate fuel apparently, later confirmed to be a "settlement" for driving on the wrong side.
Vtach is online now   (41) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 05:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

Guess the policeman saw this bit of news:
https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/En...ions-equipment
Old 10th September 2022, 06:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtach View Post
This rather sounds like one of those "bargain" fines with both parties settling amicably for a lower penalty in lieu of some other offense with a higher penalty.
May be owner begged for a lower fine and got this "wrong" fine.
Latheesh is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 07:20   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Your observation is quite similar to another case we had seen on TBHP where one rider got a lower fine under the low fuel rule.
ajayc123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 08:32   #9
Senior - BHPian

It has to be a case of the cops reducing the fine in favor of the scooter rider. I was once caught for crossing the yellow line, and was fined Rs 1500. Then they reduced they fine to Rs 500, that too without any negotiation attempts from my side. I was charged for driving a car with occupants not wearing seat belts. Everyone was actually wearing belts, and my 5 year old daughter was even buckled up in a child seat.

This practice has to stop.
clevermax is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 14:42   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
This has happened with me too when i told him that i only have 500 for now. He gave me a challan of lower amount. Earlier, i was getting a challan of 2000.
PrathamTSI7DSG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 15:20   #11
Senior - BHPian

I'm guessing he got caught without a helmet or riding triple or while on the phone. Probably begged the cop to reduce the fine amount and the cop relented and gave him the lowest they could which was PUC violation. The owner then decided to get some payback/internet fame and upload it online. The cops in Kerala might sometimes use shady tactics to meet targets but they are definitely not stupid.

Last edited by Cresterk : 10th September 2022 at 15:22.
Cresterk is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 15:23   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

In Kerala the traffic police is hyperactive in booking traffic offences. There are quite many instances where motorists / scooterists have been irresponsibly challaned and fined.

Since the fines are generated on the VAHAN portal, physical recovery of fines are illegal. The driver/owner should simply refuse to pay such fines, since e-challans should be the norm. The cops have blessings of their power and money hungry supervisory officials.

And on the part of the Union Road Transport and Highways Ministry, such a provision to generate fines for 'no PUC' should be deactivated for all EV's.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 22:19   #13
BHPian

Not very strange, I was once charged by Maharashtra Traffic Police for triple seat and not wearing a helmet.
I drive a Honda Jazz.
naikameya is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 12:16   #14
BHPian

i was once asked to switch off my ev because it was noisy. It was a crowded junction and the policeman said that he was not able to hear the walkie talkie voices due to the high decibel noise from all the ICE engines near him. We had to wait for some official to pass, so he requested the front row people to switch off their engines to help him hear better. I however didnt, as my ev vehicle produces no noise. I kept it on, and this guy after a few seconds lost his cool. He came and shouted at me for keeping my vehicle on, and also said that he could not hear anything because of the "noise" from my bike. I was astonished by the crass idiocy of the policeman. Some good souls managed to lawyer up for me and gave the policeman a good verbal thrashing.

This still cracks me up
shresan23 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 12:38   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
I'm guessing he got caught without a helmet or riding triple or while on the phone. Probably begged the cop to reduce the fine amount and the cop relented and gave him the lowest they could which was PUC violation. The owner then decided to get some payback/internet fame and upload it online. The cops in Kerala might sometimes use shady tactics to meet targets but they are definitely not stupid.
I definitely think this should be the case here, as there is hardly any chance that the cops are so stupid to charge a fine for not holding a PUC certificate for a new electric vehicle, however despite all data available on the Vahan portal, checks regarding whether PUC is being held, insurance papers etc. are regularly held on the highways in Kerala.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks