Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2022, 14:04   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Have slip disc issues | Need Scooter with comfort being the top priority

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyush Kanthak View Post
I am having slip disc issues and I am not supposed to drive a 2 wheeler, but for local run abouts we need one.
Short answer - don't drive one if your doctor says no. For 20-30kms between you and your father, you don't have a need for a new scooter.

Quote:
2.Run is about 20-30 km per month, may be lower too

3. Should be fairly reliable too.

Currently I am using Access 125 2012 variant.
You have the answer in your Q - stick to the Access. I'm guessing your argument (wrt your slip disc) is you'll drive extremely slow over very short distances.

Get parts changed - suspension, seat and other necessary parts and see the vehicle transformed to a setup as good as a new one. That will satisfy your requirement and save you a bunch of money for sure.

We recently upgraded a lot of parts on our 2004 Activa. Runs like a charm and plan to do so for next 2 years. Total expenditure was less than 8k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Guys, question as someone who is a noob in 2-wheelers. Wouldn't a motorcycle be more comfortable than a scooter due to its larger wheels, longer travel suspension & more ideal seating / riding position?
Ideal scenario yes, but it depends on who is the rider. For elderly riders and (in a decent majority of cases) female riders, a scooter is much more comfortable than a motorbike.

For a pillion rider, the motorbike wins over a scooter any day. Especially if you go for better (read=expensive) options.
ninjatalli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2022, 17:07   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1.Needs to be extremely comfortable, I am having slip disc issues
Buy a scooter with 14 inch wheels, something like a Aprilia 150

Last edited by silverado : 22nd September 2022 at 17:11.
Old 22nd September 2022, 18:05   #18
BHPian

Have to agree with opinions from most members that scooters are not ideal for primary commute. No offense to people who suggest Activa/ Jupiter.

I own a Jupiter Zx Bs4 scooter from 2018 and has completed just 10 k kilometres. The ride quality while slightly better than activa would result in back pain and ultimately makes it difficult to sit for a long time.

Vibrations creep in beyond 50 kms. Brakes are not the best.

If you ask me , I would suggest you to take a look at the following motorcycles.

1. Pulsar N150
2. Apache RTR 160
3. Yamaha FZ series.(Would recommend for a slightly vibe free and comfortable ride)
4. Suzuki Gixxer.
5. Hero xtreme 160r

Would definitely not recommend the 100-125cc offerings in motorcycles as they all have CBS and the braking performance does affect overtime.
Old 22nd September 2022, 18:58   #19
BHPian

Not being rude here, but no scooter can be comfortable for Bangalore roads.

Considering your usage (of 20-30 km per month) better stick to doctor's recommendation and do not drive 2 wheeler.

Also, can you specify what'll be single time commute km? I mean 20-30 per month comes to either walking distance or car/cab (if not frequent and longer distance every single journey).
pradipk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2022, 20:32   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
Won't work for grocery runs, imagine yourself hauling over 20kgs of stuff and trying to maintain a good posture for saving your back.

Also important is time, weather and other commitments and most importantly having a scooter/two wheeler at your disposal is a convenience that can only be understood after you own and use one.
You assume I have never owned a 2 wheeler, and I'm unsure what welcomed the retort.

I know folks who walk to the grocery store and haul the heavy items back home in an auto, or have the store guy bring the goods purchased. Rice bags, this and that and other bulk purchases - stuff that wouldn't fit on a scooter or motorcycle anyway.

If the OP has a lot of small quick trips where they save time on a 2 wheeler vs walking, and the weather in Bangalore is unpredictable, and OP doesn't mind the extra expense of purchasing and maintaining a 2 wheeler, then who am I to say NO?
Old 22nd September 2022, 20:38   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...I am having slip disc issues and I am not supposed to drive a 2 wheeler, but for local run abouts we need one.

2.Run is about 20-30 km per month, may be lower too, also I am not open to electric as this will be also used by my father and we don't want any range anxiety.

Currently I am using Access 125 2012 variant.
Strong word of advice from someone who's been confined to bed with slipped disc for many weeks and on multiple occasions - DO NOT RIDE A MOTORIZED TWO-WHEELER. I was once young too, and thought back pain can be ignored or kept at bay, until the pain wouldn't let me think any more!

If you MUST ride, get yourself a bicycle. Cycling helps to strengthen the muscles supporting your spine, preventing a recurrence of the painful condition. However, you must consult your spine doctor before you begin cycling. At most, you can get one of those bicycles that has some battery assist. In any case, 20-30 km a month is hardly any distance for riding a bicycle.

Let your father use the Access 125, or get him a new scooter, or even better, get him to ride a bicycle too.
SS-Traveller is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2022, 20:43   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
- You assume I have never owned a 2 wheeler, and I'm unsure what welcomed the retort.

- OP doesn't mind the extra expense of purchasing and maintaining a 2 wheeler, then who am I to say NO?
- I didn't, was just a counter argument to your suggestion, not a retort. Apologies if it wasn't welcome.

- The crux of the thread, IMHO
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 09:53   #23
BHPian

I have a slip disc and my doctor asked me to avoid two wheelers, as rider or pillion. Any posture that puts pressure on your spine that has been injured is a risk you're taking.

So please check with your doc first, and if you'd still want to go ahead - Maxi scooters are considered to offer a more comfortable ride. In india, I think only BMW has a real maxi scooter; others in the current market is only a marketing gimmick.
Boomerang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 14:04   #24
BHPian

I have impinged(prolapsed) discs and radiating pain in my legs. I was forbidden from riding 2-wheelers. I worked on my lower back for a couple of years before riding again.

I can assure you no scooter will fit the bill of comfort. There may be some bikes which have decent ride quality, but avoiding 2-wheelers on the whole is a better idea.

I say it again, if you have to ride 2-wheelers with slip disc, please avoid scooters.
Mafia is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th September 2022, 07:35   #25

I know you are asking for a scooter recommendation.

But in all honestly, considering your situation I just can't recommend any.

If you must ride in two wheels with "extreme comfort" within a budget then the only one I can recommend is the Bajaj Avenger.

Not a popular choice, but it's lightweight and easy to push around, the seat is very low so you won't exert your back much when mounting/dismounting. The seat cushioning is very thick unlike most Street bikes like the FZ or Apache and the suspension is also tuned extremely soft. Over broken patches in slow speed it's more comfortable then most cars.

I know scooters provide more practicality, but I have not ridden a single scooter till today which comes even remotely close to matching the comfort of the Avenger.
tek2991 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2022, 10:15   #26
BANNED

I am not sure if you own a car. But if you are, then the need for a scooter for 20-30kms a month travel is an unwanted expense I would say.
If you don't own a car, then I would say 'don't ride a two wheeler unless advised by the doctor'. Money, time, convenience, what ever be the reasoning for riding a two wheeler, if there is a chance to end up cursing this decision in the future, it's a big NO from me, provided we have other 'better' ways to travel although may not be 'economical'.
pavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2022, 10:26   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have slip disc issues | Need Scooter with comfort being the top priority
....is akin to "Am Diabetic | Need bengali sweets with lowest calorie count"

Sorry Piyush but you cannot sit on anything between your legs anymore. Your rear has to be always on a full seat with a backrest and exercise and yoga and weight management alone will help.

From
a disc prolapse survivor...
svsantosh is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th September 2022, 10:51   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Budget:1,15,000 which should include everything.
OT:
Having seen the pain and consequences of severe sciatica with a dear one.
Strongly recommend against using a 2 wheeler till you have had a complete recovery.
As much as the thought a 2 wheeler for short neighborhood trips is enticing. it. The consequences with say a running over a pothole/sudden braking situation are not worth it.
Give time for the body to heal.

Where possible, consider walking and for the rest, invest in a beater car as some other forum members have suggested.
whitewing is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th September 2022, 11:06   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
The most comfortable ride is on NTORQ....
The NTorq actually has a stiffer suspension as compared to the Jupiter and it's understandable as it's a more sporty scooter. For back pain, Jupiter would be ideal. If Wego was there it would have been even more ideal.
Chillout is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2022, 12:54   #30

Being a multiple disc problematic person myself for over the past two years, the problems I could find while riding the motorcycles are:
1. Swinging the leg over the motorcycle.
2. Reaching the handlebars.
3. Balancing it in traffic.

So, as far as the comfortable motorcycle is concerned, at least for my use case,
1. It must have lesser seat height. Scooter is better in this aspect, as we can move the leg through the footboard.
2. Handlebars should be within the easier reach. Scooters and also Cruiser Motorcycles does this part really well.
3. Both heels must touch the ground while your back seated comfortably. Also lesser the curb weight of the motorcycle, easier it is to balance with your legs!
4. Relaxed rider's triangle. Knee Angle and Hip Angle ~ 90deg +/- 15deg; Forward Lean ~ 0deg.
5. A large firm seat with a soft cushion on the top.
6. Large diameter wheels (gulps the potholes well), Absorbent suspension. Neither too soft (make your back unsettled easily) nor too stiff (transfers all jolts into your lumbar region).
Considering all these factors, I found the cruiser/standard motorcycles are better than the scooters any day!

Also the perfect fit depends on the size of the rider as well!
I weigh around 90Kilos and 185Cms tall.
I ride the UCE Classic 350 with tall handlebars. It feels perfect for me.

My dad also suffers from disc problems. He weighs 80Kilos and 175cms tall.
For him, the perfect fit was an Avenger Street. I too felt it to be comfortable, apart from the cramped hip angle.

For the mentioned budget, you should try Avenger Street 160. Low seat height, great seat with lower back support, normal curb weight, comfortable suspension.

If the OP could specify his height and weight, the suggestion could be easier!
Thanks for asking.
Kirubakaran_G is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks