Team-BHP > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2022, 21:28   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: TN66/TN14
Posts: 524
Thanked: 1,284 Times
Default Bike Conundrum for a 40-year old

I am in my late 30's. I am almost 6 ft tall. My current ride is a Honda Activa 125 (most of the time it is used by my wife).
I always wanted to buy a bike for many years now. I thought there is no better time than NOW. The following are my requirements and interests.

1. No sports bike (or) scooter even if it is a BMW BMW C 400 GT because it doesn't suit me (especially riding position due to my height). It is not comfortable for long rides. It doesn't age well.
2. Comfort - Looking for a bike that is comfortable to sit and ride inside the city as well as occasional long rides for 500-600kms. (My my work city and my home town is 500kms). Smooth tarmac as well as bad road (not off-roading though).
3. Quality - Even if its not best build and best in quality (good if it is best), I neither don't want a bike with cheap plastics and switches just to save cost and weight.
4. Fun - Should be fun to ride (Not sporty though). Not interested in quick 0-100.
5. Occasional pillion rider.
6. Reliability - Should be highly reliable.
7. Maintenance and mileage - need not be the cheapest to maintain and highest in mileage. Decent to maintain and descent mileage is ok.
8. Should be able to do tripe digit speeds (around 100-110) with ease and sustenance. Occasional higher speed bursts (overtaking, etc.). While should also be doing city speeds and bumper to bumper to bumper traffic speeds.
9. Should really age well. Planning to keep this bike for as long as the government allows me to do.
10. Budget around 5lakhs (on-road) max.
11. Can wait a couple of months if there is anything upcoming.
12. Exclusivity is not what I looking at. I don't mind even if its a mass market one provided it meets all my other requirements.
13. Service network should be appropriate enough. Not something that is available only in the big-metros like Mumbai, Chennai, etc.

Considerations at the moment
1. RE350 Classic, RE Interceptor, 390 Adv, Duke 390, Jawa 42, RE Himalayan, RE Meteor 350, Honda Highness, Dominor 400, Honda CB350, CFMoto 650NK and upcoming RE Meteor 650 or anything upcoming.
Please add if there is anything I missed.

What do you recommend?
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 22:41   #2
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Haridwar
Posts: 330
Thanked: 243 Times
Default re: Bike Conundrum for a 40-year old

Honda CB350. Reliable, will age well, suit your height, efficient.
ajay0612 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 23:41   #3
BHPian
 
rajeshrajan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 60
Thanked: 90 Times
Default re: Bike Conundrum for a 40-year old

What about the launching soon RE Super 650?
rajeshrajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 09:45   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
aargee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: KATSTN
Posts: 5,808
Thanked: 7,723 Times
Default re: Bike Conundrum for a 40-year old

First of all from your shortlist, I'm simply eliminating the brand CFMoto as considering the fate of many players including the famous HD & having focus only with RE, Honda & KTM for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
1. No sports bike (or) scooter even if it is a BMW BMW C 400 GT because it doesn't suit me (especially riding position due to my height). It is not comfortable for long rides. It doesn't age well
Honda Highness, Honda CB350, 390 Adv, Duke 390

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
2. Comfort - Looking for a bike that is comfortable to sit and ride inside the city as well as occasional long rides for 500-600kms. (My my work city and my home town is 500kms). Smooth tarmac as well as bad road (not off-roading though)
RE Meteor 650, Honda Highness, Honda CB350, RE Himalayan, 390 Adv, Duke 390, Dominor 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
3. Quality - Even if its not best build and best in quality (good if it is best), I neither don't want a bike with cheap plastics and switches just to save cost and weight
Honda Highness, Honda CB350, 390 Adv, Duke 390, RE Meteor 350, RE Meteor 650, RE Interceptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
4. Fun - Should be fun to ride (Not sporty though). Not interested in quick 0-100
Err...it's personal point of view, so I've no answer for this one please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
5. Occasional pillion rider
All the shortlisted are capable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
6. Reliability - Should be highly reliable
In the descending order of reliability - Honda Highness, Honda CB350, 390 Adv, Duke 390

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
7. Maintenance and mileage - need not be the cheapest to maintain and highest in mileage. Decent to maintain and descent mileage is ok
In 650 & 350 category RE is cheapest to maintain; but then Honda is expensive to maintain in 350 segment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
8. Should be able to do tripe digit speeds (around 100-110) with ease and sustenance. Occasional higher speed bursts (overtaking, etc.). While should also be doing city speeds and bumper to bumper to bumper traffic speeds
All the shortlisted are capable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
9. Should really age well. Planning to keep this bike for as long as the government allows me to do
Honda Highness, Honda CB350, 390 Adv, Duke 390

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
10. Budget around 5lakhs (on-road) max
All the shortlisted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
11. Can wait a couple of months if there is anything upcoming
Ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
12. Exclusivity is not what I looking at. I don't mind even if its a mass market one provided it meets all my other requirements
Ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
13. Service network should be appropriate enough. Not something that is available only in the big-metros like Mumbai, Chennai, etc
RE Meteor 350, RE350 Classic, RE Interceptor, RE Meteor 650, RE Himalayan, Dominor 400 - In no specific order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
What do you recommend?
It's a myth that forward leaning stance is not comfortable & straight sitting ones are comfortable + need to know more on your expectations than requirements as most of the time I've found many have found a vehicle matching their requirements but failed to live the expectation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
Please add if there is anything I missed
Nope; your homework is good
So, out of all the above, see which motorcycle keeps appearing over & again & that should meet your requirement
aargee is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 10:28   #5
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: TN66/TN14
Posts: 524
Thanked: 1,284 Times
Default Re: Bike Conundrum for a 40-year old

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshrajan View Post
What about the launching soon RE Super 650?
This is also in consideration. Probably there may be more launches at the Auto-Expo in Jan.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 12:39   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
shancz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: IND
Posts: 1,381
Thanked: 3,805 Times
Default Re: Bike Conundrum for a 40-year old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
RE350 Classic, RE Interceptor, 390 Adv, Duke 390, Jawa 42, RE Himalayan, RE Meteor 350, Honda Highness, Dominor 400, Honda CB350, CFMoto 650NK and upcoming RE Meteor 650 or anything upcoming.
aargee's well articulated reply requires very little to be added, however I will add my opinion from personal experience.

- I would skip the KTMs for being on the sporty side, excellent for outright performance but not very happy in the city. 390 Adv has quite a stiff suspension.

- Dominar 400 feels heavy, a better city implementation of the KTMs, rear feels stiff at least relative to competition.

- All the RE/Honda 350's need to be ridden back to back to see which suits you the best. Servicing Honda 350s will be limited to BigWing dealerships only is what I gather from the forum. Needs to be verified at the dealers end.

- The Interceptor slots in perfectly for your highway use case but isn't very happy in bumper to bumper traffic, should be easier for your height though but keep the legs in front of the foot pegs to avoid scraping your shins. Also you'll feel the weight but overall its a good option if your primary usage isn't bumper to bumper traffic. The suspension is quite comfortable and the brakes surprisingly good.
And goes without saying if getting the Interceptor get the touring seat as well along with the sump guard and tall flyscreen. IMO the stock seat is only there for short folks like me to get a feeling that its manageable for our height during a TD

Preferences and opinions are subjective so form yours too.
Update us post your TDs, check for any lucrative December offers but I doubt it.

Good Luck.

Last edited by shancz : 21st November 2022 at 12:44. Reason: typos
shancz is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 13:06   #7
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Alappuzha
Posts: 305
Thanked: 207 Times
Default Re: Bike Conundrum for a 40-year old

RE Interceptor and nothing else will suit your requirements.
Ashley Nair is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 13:32   #8
BHPian
 
amvj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 666
Thanked: 2,167 Times
Default Re: Bike Conundrum for a 40-year old

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
.....

- All the RE/Honda 350's need to be ridden back to back to see which suits you the best. Servicing Honda 350s will be limited to BigWing dealerships only is what I gather from the forum. Needs to be verified at the dealers end....
Bigwing motorcycles (examples: CB350 H'ness, CB300R, CB300F) can be serviced only in Bigwing and Topline service centers. It cannot be serviced in other Honda service centers.

Last edited by amvj : 21st November 2022 at 13:35.
amvj is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 17:31   #9
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13
Thanked: 59 Times
Default Re: Bike Conundrum for a 40-year old

Suzuki vstrom 250 could be another option to consider.

Do test ride these bikes yourself to see how you feel about them. Don't hesitate to take multiple test rides until you are completely satisfied.

Hth
dkar228 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 19:12   #10
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 127
Thanked: 460 Times
Default Re: Bike Conundrum for a 40-year old

The Suzuki Vstrom 250Sx and the RE Himalayan come to mind based on your requirements. Both can cruise at 100kmph and have very good comfort. The Himalayan gives decent mileage (26kmpl in heavy traffic, 30kmpl in moderate traffic, 35-40kmpl on the highway). Spares and mods are infinitely available for the Himmy or any other RE for that matter of fact. Working on the Himalayan is also pretty easy and you can do basic maintenance yourself without a hassle. F

The Interceptor is also really good on this front and you get that sweet parallel twin which I fall in love with every time I ride it. The upcoming Himalayan 450 may also suit you. Then again, all the bikes you have shortlisted will fare well, and I will suggest that you test ride all of them. Only then will you find the bike that best suits you.
WhiskeyTangoFox is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 19:18   #11
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 19,830
Thanked: 14,286 Times
Default Re: Bike Conundrum for a 40-year old

Himalayan or why not a KTM 390 Adv, for your needs and height I would anyday take Adv Vs Duke. The baby GS is also a good option apart from the dealer network being limited.
Jaggu is offline  
Old 22nd November 2022, 09:50   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
VW2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: electricity
Posts: 2,731
Thanked: 3,109 Times
Default Re: Bike Conundrum for a 40-year old

Search in the used bike segment and pick a 650. The old Kawasaki 650 is not a bad option for your needs. The newly launched Meteor 650 is also a good buy. Get a twin for your Budget.

5L is a good starting range to move to 650 and there is no replacement to displacement for comfortable cruising.
VW2010 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 10:11   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,386
Thanked: 5,312 Times
Default Re: Bike Conundrum for a 40-year old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
I am in my late 30's. I am almost 6 ft tall. My current ride is a Honda Activa 125 (most of the time it is used by my wife).
What do you recommend?
I would suggest you stick to 350 cc (MAX), dont think your riding skills will be up for managing a 650 cc bike (with the associated power and weight of the bike).

Getting such a bike will be very frustrating!
2000rpm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 10:31   #14
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: TN66/TN14
Posts: 524
Thanked: 1,284 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
I would suggest you stick to 350 cc (MAX), dont think your riding skills will be up for managing a 650 cc bike (with the associated power and weight of the bike).

Getting such a bike will be very frustrating!
I am used to riding big bikes (up to 350CC), but, it's been quite a few years already. So weight is not a problem. (I believe that the heavier the bike is, the more it will be stable on highway cruises. Correct me if I am wrong).
Regarding the skills, the bikes that I've mentioned are common for everyone. I even see old people (>60years) riding interceptor, and other RE bikes, just with a simple shirt and dhoti. So what skills are you talking about?

I am sure you understand that I am not a youth who is trying to impress that next-door girl (or) show off my riding skills to get into racing or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Search in the used bike segment and pick a 650. The old Kawasaki 650 is not a bad option for your needs. The newly launched Meteor 650 is also a good buy. Get a twin for your Budget.

5L is a good starting range to move to 650 and there is no replacement to displacement for comfortable cruising.
A big NO-NO for a used bike. Because I don't have the expertise to pick the right one. Even worse, I will most likely end up with the wrong one.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 23rd November 2022 at 10:51. Reason: Merged back to back posts.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 14:02   #15
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 927
Thanked: 130 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Bike Conundrum for a 40-year old

I think Interceptor 650 is one of the best option, its got great engine, good power and good/comfortable riding position (you can change seats to make it so). Else, you can also check out Dominar 400, thats also very good for commute/touring.
zaks is offline   (2) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2022, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks