Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2022, 10:00   #1
BHPian

2022 TVS Jupiter 125 | Ownership Review | 5,000 km up

Hi everyone,

This is my review of the 2022 TVS Jupiter 125 scooter. Not really a huge buy, but the first vehicle I've bought with my own money, so forgive the high level of enthusiasm. That said, here we go!

The Hunt

Since I got married in December 2021, we were living in Wai, Maharashtra, and we had my parents' old Suzuki Swish 125 (my daily office commute) and a 2017 i10 Asta AMT (loaner from my in-laws, since my wife drives it). We were due to shift back to Pune in March 2022, besides which my parents wanted another scooter to use, as well as I needing one for daily commutes. So we started off with a budget of 1 lakh, with not much there to stretch. The field consisted of:

1. Suzuki Access 125
2. Suzuki Burgmann Street
3. Suzuki Avenis
4. Activa 125
5. Jupiter 125

We weren't considering a Vespa, Aprilia, or anything of that sort mainly for the limited budget. The main focus was on having sufficient power to be nimble in traffic with a pillion, the comfort of said pillion, along with the ability to fit a large tote bag along with a helmet (imperative for my wife). We limited the field to 125cc scooters only, with about 8-9 HP and about 10 Nm of torque, as this was felt by us to be enough for the job. While our Suzuki Swish was and is fantastic, the Access failed to impress on the features front, while the Burgmann wasn't a huge difference from it. The Burgmann had more storage, but not as much as the Jupiter, and being about 1,25,000, I felt the Jupiter to be more VFM. The displays, etc. on both were impressive, but the fuel filling location at the rear was still a minus point. Avenis was broadly the same as the Access, but the seat felt a little smaller to my wife. Activa 125 was a bit too basic as well, not to mention that the storage on it was the same as the Access. On the seating, we both felt the Jupiter's seating was the largest and most comfortable of the lot. My uncle had just received his Jupiter 125, so took a test drive, and it was pretty good! Power was about right, but the big thing was that class-leading storage! The same uncle also had a hook-up at a dealership near his house, so off we went to make the booking, checkbook in hand.

At the dealership, Shelar TVS Kothrud, we were given a long test drive, and we went all the way to Vanaz, both self and wife driving. For us, the main standout features were the storage, the convenience of the fuelling cap, and the little pocket under the right handle (convenient for ton of things). We went with the bog standard variant (steel wheels and drum brakes) in the titanium grey colour, and I think it looks pretty nice and sleek in that one, not too loud, and even elegant. We booked with a booking amount of Rs 10,000, and it was a done deal. Delivery came two weeks later, and my father went in the second week of January to bring it home without too much fanfare.

Final price paid was Rs 1,10,000 OTR, against an ex-showroom price of Rs. 84,275, with dealer insurance from ICICI Lombard and RTO registration. The dealer threw in the usual accessories, a side-footrest, better mats, and seat cover in for free with an additional discount of Rs. 5,000 as a referral discount.

Some photos of the workhorse we got are attached.

Side view:

2022 TVS Jupiter 125 | Ownership Review | 5,000 km up-img_20230120_082714.jpg

The front:

2022 TVS Jupiter 125 | Ownership Review | 5,000 km up-img_20230120_082719.jpg

The rear view:

2022 TVS Jupiter 125 | Ownership Review | 5,000 km up-img_20230120_082729.jpg

The console:

2022 TVS Jupiter 125 | Ownership Review | 5,000 km up-img_20230124_174526.jpg

The much-vaunted storage

2022 TVS Jupiter 125 | Ownership Review | 5,000 km up-img_20230124_180020.jpg

Features & Build Quality

Overall fit and finish are good enough and comparable to any other scooter at the price point. The panel gaps are all consistent, so no real complaints there either. Paint is good, with even thickness, and looks great in that colour! A nice chrome exhaust cover adds to the overall premium feel, although most competitors do have it too. The indicator and starter switches are all hard plastic, but reassuringly sturdy-feeling, steady and easy to use. 12-inch wheels that are standard for the segment are here too, so no surprises there either. The tyres that came with the scooter are 90/90 square cross-section tyres, which might compromise the grip at the rear wheel, but so far no issues on that front.

The headlight switch is a bit tight, but as it is only for shifting from low beam to high beam, it isn't really a problem. The display indicates the time, odometer, fuel gauge, auto-on-off system and the like, with warning lights for the side stand being down and low fuel. The auto-on-off system also gets a dedicated switch of the same type as the light switch on the right side. The default handle grips are comfortable, but can become slick if wet. The passenger footrest is made of flimsy-feeling hard black plastic, which could be an issue going forward, but if it's that cheap it should be able to be replaced easily enough. It is not, however, particularly grippy, and my wife's feet have slipped off on occasion. The rubber mat is also not perfectly fixed onto the footboard, so it does flap loose on occasion. At a seat height of 765 mm, it's easy to climb on or climb off, and no shorter riders have yet told me otherwise. The fuel filler cap is very conveniently located on the right side under the handle, and opened by pressing the key inside in the off position and turning it to the right. The same to the left will open the seat. The mirrors are large and do give a good field of view.

Safety & Storage

Safety & related features are pretty much standard for the segment, but ABS isn't on offer on any variant. The headlight doubles as a DRL when in low beam, but it can't be turned off. Being an LED unit, the throw isn't the greatest, but Pune roads are usually well-lit in the evenings and so far it hasn't been an issue. The strength is definitely as good as a halogen, but I'm not sure I don't prefer a halogen for the depth it gives me, especially since most white lights, xenon or LED, tend to make the road appear flat IMHO. Another feature worth mentioning is that the scooter has a warning horn for the side stand, which sounds continuously until you raise it or the bike is turned off. The start-up is fairly normal, just turn it on, make sure the throttle is at zero, pull brakes and press the starter. If the throttle is not at zero, it will not turn on. That took some getting used to, but it is now entirely habitual.

The storage though is really, really convenient. A full 33 litres under the seat fits almost anything you'd need, and then some. The claim of two helmets seems a tad dubious though, because I haven't yet been able to do it with two small-sized Vega helmets. That said, I can fit a week's shopping for two people in it without much effort. The two carry hooks on the footboard are excellent as well. The pocket under the right side of the handle is usually for holding your phone while charging it, but it's equally useful for keeping it there for easy access while using maps to navigate if needed, or a small cloth bag for running errands.

Comfort & driveability

The bike feels lighter than some others, and that definitely translates to more agility in end-to-end traffic and while getting it out of crowded parking lots. The turn circle is nice and tight, and I haven't needed to drag the bike around at all. The seats are bit firmer, but the shape is comfortable, and the pillion is wide enough to be perfectly comfortable. However, more than an hour and half or so continuously in the saddle will cause numbness. I really do not recommend putting it into a pothole either, because a softer rear suspension combined with tiny 12" wheels (unfortunately the same on most scooters) will deliver a jolt to the pillion. My usual commute is 15 km per day, but rarely exceeds 30km/day, and almost always in morning empty roads or in Pune traffic. On my morning office runs I usually get around 42-45 kmpl, and around 47 in the city. The average it shows at the moment is 43.5 kmpl. I usually fill about 4 litres of fuel, and that's enough to last me for a week fairly easily. The GC being a good 163 mm, I haven't yet scraped it on a speed breaker or a pot-hole either. That said, with 5 litres of fuel at full tank that gives me a comfortable range of about 215-230 km. The brakes do their job just fine, but the disc brakes on the test drive version could use a bit more bite. The drum brakes are pretty good, but I tend to drive with them at their highest possible tightness, so in that regard they work pretty well, and I need to tighten them only once in six months or so.

Coming to the 8.15 PS, 10.5 Nm engine, does its job pretty well, but tends to get quite noisy when I hit 60 km/h or so on the Old Mumbai-Pune Highway on my way back from work. That said, the note is a nice, throaty sort of sound that I do enjoy, something you might expect from college kid's scooter with the muffler held open by a rock. The power delivery is smooth, and it's there when you need it, albeit with a bit of delay, which beings me to the CVT. The transmission doesn't have more lag than any other CVT scooter, but is easily as good as the Activa or the Access. The rubber band effect is definitely noticeable, but still manageable. I've even learned to use it as a control mechanism in heavy traffic. It is a delay of roughly two seconds when you open the throttle all the way, off the line. Due to the slower response, however, the wind blast and vibrations don't pick up quickly as well, which allows one to get used to them as they build. Once they do, however, the wind blast is significant above 60, but until then it's a pleasant wind-through-your-hair kind of thing. The vibrations though are minimal, at any speed, even if the noise picks up significantly.

Likes & Dislikes

So on to the review, after 5200 km on the odometer. What I like and dislike:

- The bike is easy to control, and never feels sluggish. The Swish cannot be tilted because the rear wheel slips, but this has given me no trouble at all while leaning it on turns taken at 50 km/h or so at a maximum.
- The storage is great. On runs into the city or for groceries shopping, the second hook in the footboard area and the huge storage under the seat is brilliant.
- The brakes are pretty good, but not overwhelmingly tight. I usually tighten them as far as they will go, but even at the most extreme they don't feel too tight.
- The auto-off and on for the engine works great in traffic, but it can catch you off-guard when you're in traffic. Using the starter button will cause it to need resetting.
- The trip meter has A, B and F, which are quite useful, and instantaneous and average fuel economy. Pretty useful feature there.
- The fuel filler opening is in the front, which really does stand out and make it easier to fill.

Dislikes

- The rear suspension is a bit too soft, transmits a lot of shock to the pillion, and can bottom out fairly easily. That said, most of my family are as tall and big as I am (6'2" and 120 kg), so for lighter people it should be just fine.
- Fuel filler location means you must stand to the right of the pump, or it gets quite awkward to position the the fuelling nozzle properly.
- The auto-off takes getting used to, since you must remember to rev the engine once every few seconds when stationary if you need to keep the engine on. Otherwise a simple twist of the throttle will being it back to life. Using the starter button will cause it to need resetting.
- Not sure whether will it actually fit two helmets, since the seat doesn't close if my normal helmet (a Vega that fits easily in an Activa storage) is not positioned correctly.
- The headlight cannot be truly turned off, seems like an annoying waste of power to me. It seems to be a thing that's getting more common these days in two-wheelers.
- The rubber mat on the footboard keeps coming off and catching on my feet as I get on and off.

After Sales Service

Now for the ASS. Shelar TVS in Pune is pretty big, but their service yard is at least half an hour away from my home, so it does take planning and about half a day. Luckily I do have another dealer and service center nearby, where I will be taking it in future. That said, this scooter cannot be serviced outside the dealer network, because of the testing kits that have not been made available to third parties. The dealer has said that this is due to the number of sensors and other such requirements due to the BS VI adaptation. Their service is pretty prompt, the servicing gets done in three hours or so, and quality of work is pretty good too. Spares are not easily available for this model, and need anywhere from fifteen days to two months for them to reach the dealership. First service went fine, but the at the time of the second service, it was found that the dealer had inserted the first service as the second, so I had to pay for the oil filter and air filter change. Raised the issue with TVS itself, as per input from TBHP member JithinR.,

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
For TVS, if you haven't already done it then go ahead and raise a complaint. When TVS is directly involved the service centers (at least in Bengaluru) fall in line very quickly.

P.S. Hope you did adhere to the max ownership day/kms limit for these services.
No response so far, but it's a minor niggle. The recent third free service got done with no drama and on time as well, so not too much trouble overall. For the foreseeable future, the Jupiter 125 seems just as reliable as any Honda or Suzuki, and I don't anticipate any real trouble nor any replacements being needed.

In the end, I'm quite happy with the scooter, and I think this one will be a long-term keeper for me until it's time for it to ride off into the sunset!

Last edited by AulusGabinius : 24th January 2023 at 20:35.
AulusGabinius is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 05:15   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2022 TVS Jupiter 125 | Ownership Review | 5,000 km up

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 08:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AulusGabinius View Post
I really do not recommend putting it into a pothole either, because a softer rear suspension combined with tiny 12" wheels (unfortunately the same on most scooters) will deliver a jolt to the pillion
We did a TD on this scooter last year when it was launched. The very first thing that raised our brows was the seat wasn't closing as we had expected & had to jimmy to close with a click sound. Our 16 year old Activa (still factory fitted seat) never ever had this issue & closes perfectly to this date albeit worn out a lot.

Otherwise Jupiter 125 has absolutely everything & that everything being practical one can ask be it analog-digital speedo, LED light, front fuel filling convenience (unique in the market), 12 inch rear wheel (except TVS no petrol scooter has this in market), gas filled adjustable rear suspension (market's first again), 30 liters boot space (still no one has), matte finish, light color made it more than absolute value for money & love every aspect of it.

We rode Access 125, Burgman, Yamaha RayZR, NTorq & Jupiter 125 with 2-up only on potholed (and some even moon craters roads). The rear suspension however put us off (for both NTorq & Jupiter 125) being extremely hard despite setting it to softest setting & could feel some vibes traveling from tail bone to T1. It couldn't beat the plush comfort of, forget Burgman, even Access 125 & RayZR 125. We really loved Jupiter as it offered a high VFM proposition, but for the refinement & suspension it lacks against the Jap competitors.

Next one being we weren't sure how the industry first floor mounted fuel tank would fare in long term & for some reason few independent mechanics didn't have a great opinion on Jupiter's engine compared to Activa, Access & Yamaha, which put us off our purchasing decision.

We're glad you bought one of the best value proposition product in the market & hope it serves you well & happy ownership for a long term

Last edited by aargee : 25th January 2023 at 08:43.
aargee is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 08:56   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
We did a TD on this scooter last year when it was launched. The very first thing that raised our brows was the seat wasn't closing as we had expected & had to jimmy to close with a click sound. Our 16 year old Activa (still factory fitted seat) never ever had this issue & closes perfectly to this date albeit worn out a lot.

Otherwise Jupiter 125 has absolutely everything & that everything being practical one can ask be it analog-digital speedo, LED light, front fuel filling convenience (unique in the market), 12 inch rear wheel (except TVS no petrol scooter has this in market), gas filled adjustable rear suspension (market's first again), 30 liters boot space (still no one has), matte finish, light color made it more than absolute value for money & love every aspect of it.

We rode Access 125, Burgman, Yamaha RayZR, NTorq & Jupiter 125 with 2-up only on potholed (and some even moon craters roads). The rear suspension however put us off (for both NTorq & Jupiter 125) being extremely hard despite setting it to softest setting & could feel some vibes traveling from tail bone to T1. It couldn't beat the plush comfort of, forget Burgman, even Access 125 & RayZR 125. We really loved Jupiter as it offered a high VFM proposition, but for the refinement & suspension it lacks against the Jap competitors.

Next one being we weren't sure how the industry first floor mounted fuel tank would fare in long term & for some reason few independent mechanics didn't have a great opinion on Jupiter's engine compared to Activa, Access & Yamaha, which put us off our purchasing decision.

We're glad you bought one of the best value proposition product in the market & hope it serves you well & happy ownership for a long term
Hi, upon checking just found out the Burgmann Street EX does have the 12-inch rear wheel now, but most of the others are still on 10 inches. That said, the combination of the suspension and the depth and breadth of the potholes in Pune comes through as having almost no real difference. It should have made a difference, but I think it's because of the higher loads, around 200+ kgs, that we have when we go two-up. But I'm going to tell the service center to readjust that suspension for sure. Thanks!
Old 25th January 2023, 10:36   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In the end, I'm quite happy with the scooter, and I think this one will be a long-term keeper for me until it's time for it to ride off into the sunset!
Congratulations and wish you a happy and hassle free ownership with the Jupiter!

If you want to get it serviced in an independent garage after the warranty period is over, you can check with Shirish Joshi (93251 32236), owner of "Mobike Service" 2-wheeler garage in Karve Nagar. I get my Apache serviced there, and have been a satisfied customer for more than 6-7 years.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation whatsoever with the above garage, other than being a happy customer of their services.
comfortablynumb is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 11:22   #6
BHPian

I also own a Jupiter 125 of April 2022 and has been very comfortable with it.
Positive points are peppy engine and the big boot.
However I did face a few issues.
The headlight feels inadequate, the high beam is focussed at 90 degree and adjustment to it is not working. I will end up adding additional LED lights.
Due to low running for few weeks, the battery got drained and was not even kick starting.
The chrome paint above speedometer has started chipping of.
When filling the fuel, due to the narrow pipe, you have to fill it slowly.
Other than these, it's very convenient scooter.
abhi_krao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 14:48   #7
BHPian

Agreed about the narrow pipe, had a few spills, but the people at the petrol pumps caught on pretty quick, actually. I do still tell them to fill it slowly at a new pump though.
AulusGabinius is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 17:27   #8
BHPian

We own a Jupiter 110cc variant, of the same color for the past six years. It has served as a reliable runabout for all the chores. We have done 42k kms with the vehicle. I recently started looking for another two wheeler to reduce the car usage in our home. The first criteria I had was, it should not be another Jupiter - it has to be something else, just for variety. But guess what, IMO none of the scooters in the market now are both VFM and pleasing to eyes with a clean design like Jupiter.
hybridpetrol is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 19:16   #9
BHPian

Hi Aulus,

Congrats on the TVS Jupiter 125 purchase, wishing you many happy and trouble free miles with her!

Jupiter 125 was a close contender for our scooter purchase as a well. We had to walk away from it due to the finicky seat closure, quirks with the all in one key, and the excess vibrations felt while test riding the scoot compared to the Suzuki trio. On the flip side, the engine felt torquey, and the suspension felt comparatively plusher thanks to the bigger real wheel and softer suspension.

In the end, we went for the Avenis 125 as we felt it hit the right balance between sportiness and practicality.

Cheers
ss11011988 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 20:31   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is my review of the 2022 TVS Jupiter 125 scooter.
Congratulations for your New Jupiter 125.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AulusGabinius

After Sales Service

That said, this scooter cannot be serviced outside the dealer network, because of the testing kits that have not been made available to third parties. The dealer has said that this is due to the number of sensors and other such requirements due to the BS VI adaptation.
Any Vehicle Dealer (2W, 4W) won't allow you get the vehicle serviced from other Dealer/Service Centre (Authorised as well as Unauthorised) obviously for the fact that it's loss of income for him.

I too bought Jupiter 110 SmartConnect on 07-12-2022.
I am worried about how will be our Jupiter handled during the Service. If the Services required will be really carried out or just the Services written on Job Card will be ticked and billed.

I am thinking of getting the Oil Changed at home from Start itself.

I had seen a Jupiter (without Front Number Plate) laid on its right side for some work (did not check deeply) on the Ground in Service Centre (Tiles) instead of lifting the vehicle on a fork lift at the Only Dealer in our City.

Don't know whether that Jupiter was Registered and came for Service or PDI was being done. But any case this is not acceptable.
IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 20:37   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss11011988 View Post
Hi Aulus,

We had to walk away from it due to the finicky seat closure, quirks with the all in one key, and the excess vibrations felt while test riding the scoot compared to the Suzuki trio.

Cheers
Thank you! Weirdly, the seat closure is the one thing I've never yet had a problem with, if everything inside is fine. The seat cover is stapled on though, so not sure why it would do that, it isn't as if it would pop loose.

Personally I loved the looks of the Avenis, it was just out of budget . I think it will make a worthy successor to my parents' Swish.
Old 25th January 2023, 20:40   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
Congratulations for your New Jupiter 125.

Any Vehicle Dealer (2W, 4W) won't allow you get the vehicle serviced from other Dealer/Service Centre (Authorised as well as Unauthorised) obviously for the fact that it's loss of income for him.
Thank you! Agree with you there, some dealers are shady as heck. It's only because my uncle has a hook-up that I did the free service, and they did muck it up. However, my usual Mahindra First Choice guy has said the same, so I guess it might really have to wait.
Old 6th June 2023, 11:43   #13
BHPian

7000 km Update:

We got it serviced and ready for transport to Bangalore! Transport was handled via Gati, which was a little bit late, but the bike reached in the same condition we had loaded it. The loading was done through Palande Couriers, Pune. The suspension has been hardened by two levels, which has done wonders for the pillion ride (my parents no longer complain about the shocks) and I'm seeing even better agility and confidence in tilting turns and at high speed.

Last edited by AulusGabinius : 6th June 2023 at 11:44. Reason: formatting error
AulusGabinius is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2023, 11:21   #14
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for the great review! I was very confused which scooter to buy for my parents but after reading your review I think the Jupiter 125 will be perfect. I was at it researching every scooter for the past two months and grew even more confused the more I read but finally I can rest and go ahead with the Jupiter 125 thanks to you

You covered all the bases of the scooter so I'm confident buying it now and the showroom and service you mentioned are the closest to me so it was nice to get a review of the same so I know what to expect from after sales as well.

Is there any way I can get the advantage of your hookup at the showroom like you did
White Aviator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2023, 11:25   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Aviator View Post
Is there any way I can get the advantage of your hookup at the showroom like you did
You're welcome! It's been two years now, so I guess it might have just lost its charm, but a little bargaining should get you the same. The hookup just got me a free seat cover and side footrest, everything else was standard. I'm pretty sure there's also been a price hike since then, so there's that to consider.
AulusGabinius is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks