Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2023, 17:09   #1
Senior - BHPian

Honda’s 750cc retro-motorcycle likely in the works

Honda’s 750cc retro-motorcycle likely in the works-hondaxl750transalprightsideview1.jpg

Quote:
Honda is likely to be working on a retro-styled motorcycle called the GB750. Now, Japan already has the GB350, the international version of the H’ness CB350 and the new model is expected to follow with a similar old-school design inspiration.

So, we can also expect a circular headlamp, minimal bodywork, high-rise handlebars and fork gaitors. To further complete the look, the GB750 would be adorned with a retro-style paint job that harks back to the 80s era. While the motorcycle is expected to use the same engine as the recently unveiled Transalp 750 and CB750 Hornet, it could get a few changes to its cycle parts to give it an old-school appeal. Hence, dual-shocks at the rear and conventional forks could be part of the package.

Nonetheless, the Honda GB750 is expected to be kitted to the brim with features like full-LED lighting, a TFT dash, ride modes and the works. While the existence of the GB750 is still unconfirmed, it would sit well as a bigger sibling to the GB350. And if it does make its way to India, it would compete against the Triumph Bonneville T100 and the Kawasaki Z650 RS here.
Source : https://www.bikewale.com/news/hondas...-in-the-works/

Additional sources:
https://www.visordown.com/news/new-b...t-and-transalp

https://www.topspeed.com/after-the-c...etro-roadster/

https://www.zigwheels.com/news-featu...-please/48319/

If CB350 is rivaling RE 350, then I can certainly believe to an extent that CB750 is in the works rivaling the hot selling cakes of RE Twins. Hopefully (really really hopefully) Honda prices it right atleast this time!!
aargee is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 11:31   #2
BHPian

Re: Honda’s 750cc retro-motorcycle likely in the works

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
If CB350 is rivaling RE 350, then I can certainly believe to an extent that CB750 is in the works rivaling the hot selling cakes of RE Twins. Hopefully (really really hopefully) Honda prices it right atleast this time!!
In line 4 cylinder would be good. A sort of emulation to the legendary CB750. They need not even change design. Just bring the old one back with tweeks for BS6, FIE, ABS and few cosmetics. What? Priced as RE650 you said. Oh well what a dream i had!!.
srini1785 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 12:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
In line 4 cylinder would be good. A sort of emulation to the legendary CB750. They need not even change design. Just bring the old one back with tweeks for BS6, FIE, ABS and few cosmetics. What? Priced as RE650 you said. Oh well what a dream i had!!.
If you don't ask me the reason, I simply loved your reply

This is exactly I thought too; what stops Honda to put their famous inline 4 into a classical looking bike (when they had done an inline 6 in 1978)

But, after riding Interceptor for over a year, I'm simply in love with the twin; don't have to twist the throttle too much, can gently (yes gently) ride in 100 listening to (270 degree) the music. Ofcourse inline 4 attunes with a good music as well; if one is Maestro other is ARR (let me not attribute who makes what hehe)

Point is, the torque experience from a large twin is an instant gratification compared to the delayed gratification of an inline 4.

Last edited by Aditya : 17th January 2023 at 19:07. Reason: As requested
aargee is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 13:21   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We could wish, but with technology advancement through the decades and downsizing, we will continue to see half the cylinder numbers. This is the age where the C63 AMG is a 4-pot!!!

Ofcourse, there could be another reason as clearly put forward by BHPian @justin.das in his JDM CB350 thread, where the old one had twin cylinders while the new one we have is a single. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...0-1970s-3.html (Restoring a JDM Honda CB 350 from the 1970s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin.das View Post
That's because with the current CB350 Honda intends to dethrone RE 350 from the market lead where the original 350 Twin was built to dethrone British Twins , that was a period of Japenese onslaught against then golden standard British bikes...
Why would Honda give us an inline-4 when the main strong rival is a 2 cylinder one, and especially in a price sensitive market. Add to that their cheapest and smallest inline-4 engine was discontinued due to emission norms.
DicKy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 13:48   #5
BHPian

Quote:

True that! As an admirer of these classic beauties, from my perspective, this is absurd to see the rebirth of a legendary name in such a stripped-out form both in function and aesthetic appeal! The original was an engineering marvel so much so that those who saw it for the first time used a new name 'Super Bike' to define it such as shame to see such a historic name becoming a marketing gimmick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
We could wish, but with technology advancement through the decades and downsizing, we will continue to see half the cylinder numbers. This is the age where the C63 AMG is a 4-pot!!!

Ofcourse, there could be another reason as clearly put forward by BHPian @justin.das in his JDM CB350 thread, where the old one had twin cylinders while the new one we have is a single. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...0-1970s-3.html (Restoring a JDM Honda CB 350 from the 1970s)

Why would Honda give us an inline-4 when the main strong rival is a 2 cylinder one, and especially in a price sensitive market. Add to that their cheapest and smallest inline-4 engine was discontinued due to emission norms.
During the time when the original Cb750 was designed Honda as a marque wanted to prove itself and today its a market trend to reuse legendary names to attract media attention but not many have succeeded with this formula and at least in the Indian context, none invoked the same feel that the original did!
justin.das is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 18:41   #6
Senior - BHPian

Guys, if you may pardon my intrusion posting this video that I reckon saying impertinent, although the video might still say I'm pertinent, it's quite an interesting watch pls

Old 17th January 2023, 19:09   #7
BHPian

Only thing matter is the pricing, In the recent past Honda has priced all its 400+ CC bikes(plus CBR 250) horribly making it irrelevant in their respective segment.

What is the point of top notch refinement / build if it is not getting translated to market share / not able to draw the customer cohort with purchasing power
Asoon is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks