Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2023, 18:55   #46
BHPian

re: All-new Aprilia RS 457, now launched at 4.1 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpapache View Post
I think you are talking about inline/parallel twin engines with 180 degrees firing order. Ex: Ninja 300,650

From what I’ve understood so far, 270 degrees firing order is the sweetest sounding inline twin cylinder engine configuration. Ex: INT/GT 650, R3
Ninja 650 uses the 180-540 firing order, also called 180* crankshaft. You and me both know how single-cylinder like it sounds, except at high revs.
I do not have practical experience with the Ninja 300/400, so I guess I should refrain commenting on it. One more thing: yes you're right. I stand corrected- the Ninja 300/400 have 180* crank. The same has been edited in my last post.

Sound is a very subjective thing, but generally, 360* crank would mean equal firing and more of a inline-4-like sound. Benelli TNT 300, I'm told, is an example of 360 crank that sounds like a multicylinder should. Try to compare TNT 300 directly with the others you mentioned.

Allow me to use an online gif file to explain this:-

https://motofomo.com/wp-content/uplo...-explained.gif

The 360 above provides the smoothest riding sound, due to equal firing, even though the engine might not be the best in NVH levels.

Firing strokes are best for high rev performance, when they're equally apart from each other. (like 360-360)
The moment they get closer to each other (270-450 or worse yet 180-540), they start to go closer to single cylinder like feel.

KTM's 285-435 firing order in the 890 is still quite good in this matter, while not being completely equal firing.

Of course, this is not a sweeping generalisation, as an engine is not just about outright performance or sound, its also about vibrations, torque and comfort, where a 270 firing order shines. Plus, I've heard its also expensive to make. And depending on implementation, it usually sounds good too, often better than a 180*.

Last edited by Samarth 619 : 13th September 2023 at 19:14.
Samarth 619 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2023, 11:54   #47
BHPian

Great chat about the 270-degree crank.

Companies that have recently jumped on the 270 deg crank bandwagon with the respective models -

Yamaha (R7, Tenere 700, MT-07, XTZ1200),
Aprillia (RS/Tuono 660, Tuareg 660),
BMW (F 850/750/900r/950xr),
Honda (Africa Twin CRF1000L, Rebel 1100, NC700/ 750),
Suzuki (S8, 800de),
Triumph (most of them ll'els)
KTM (790 is 285 deg crank)

This is pretty much everyone!

One of the biggest benefits to the end-user is a very sweet-sounding note, specifically 270-deg crank engines sound way beefier than what the CCs suggest. Sometimes like a v-twin. I think that is a great side-effect of some of the benefits a 270-deg crank might bring; specifically - no need to balance the secondary reciprocating forces, since they are canceled out.
shree_shell is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th September 2023, 11:09   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shree_shell View Post

One of the biggest benefits to the end-user is a very sweet-sounding note, specifically 270-deg crank engines sound way beefier than what the CCs suggest. Sometimes like a v-twin. I think that is a great side-effect of some of the benefits a 270-deg crank might bring; specifically - no need to balance the secondary reciprocating forces, since they are canceled out.
Absolutely true.
To add to what you have talked about here, I would like to share my favourite YouTuber’s video about the same and other engine types. It’s none other than Lord Ryan F9 😁
bpapache is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2023, 12:36   #49
BHPian

Hello everyone, this is my first post on TBhp. I've been a silent spectator for nearly a decade but now might be the time where I can actually contribute to the forum and specifically to this thread.

So I have my eyes set on the RS since it was launched. I've already pestered the nearby Aprilia showroom multiple times to keep giving me updates. Although it was speculated that it was due for a launch during the Bharat GP, these guys are saying it'll be launched on the 20th itself. Not sure about which date is concrete.

As per them, bookings are likely going to open by October end with deliveries scheduled for January. I know this sounds stupid but I don't even mind being the guinea pig and picking up the very first lot when it lands. Will keep this thread updated with the progress as it happens.
SR1602 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th September 2023, 11:50   #50
Senior - BHPian

Aprilia RS 457 to be unveiled in India on September 20

The Aprilia RS 457 made its global debut earlier this month. It will be showcased in India on September 20, followed by the price announcement.

All-new Aprilia RS 457, now launched at 4.1 lakh-20230908115129_aprilia_rs_457.jpg

The Aprilia RS 457 is a fully-faired bike that draws inspiration from the RS 660. It features dual LED headlamps with a short visor and clip-on handlebars at the front, a short tail section and an underbelly exhaust. The bike comes equipped with a digital instrument console with Bluetooth connectivity, 3-stage traction control and ABS.

The RS 457 is powered by a 457cc twin-cylinder liquid-cooled engine that makes 47 BHP, which puts it in the same league as the KTM RC 390. The engine is mated with a 6-speed gearbox.

The bike is equipped with a ride-by-wire system and a quick shifter, which is optional. It features an upside-down front fork with a mono-shock at the rear. It gets disc brakes at both ends and rides on 17-inch wheels.
TusharK is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th September 2023, 17:57   #51
BHPian

Just returned from round 4 of "Pestering the showroom: Telephonic Edition". Word is there's a decent line of people frantically asking questions and someone went to the extent of creating some fake booking receipt that caused some controversy on Whatsapp groups! The launch event tomorrow is supposedly just a bike showcase. The actual prices might still take up to the 30th of the month before reveal. Test ride bikes aren't coming before December. I was a little insistent on getting the first delivery in Chennai at least and he said he'll get back to me tomorrow, probably with some unofficial booking scheme I think.
SR1602 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th September 2023, 19:26   #52
BHPian

I wonder when we'll start to boycott this pre-reveal, reveal, price reveal, manufacturing reveal, delivery reveal, then get shived at the dealership with +50 hidden costs.

Aprilia gets my money only if they price it sensibly and be transparent about when you can actually buy the damn bike.

Bangalore will milk the purchaser with 20% taxes and even more CESS.
So we are out of luck w.r.t on-road prices.

So tired and burnt out with automobile launches these days. Anybody else feel the same?
shastryBLR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th September 2023, 19:40   #53
Senior - BHPian

The Aprilia RS 457 makes its India debut, pre-bookings will commence soon.

All-new Aprilia RS 457, now launched at 4.1 lakh-20230920_193636.jpg

All-new Aprilia RS 457, now launched at 4.1 lakh-20230920_194057.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 20th September 2023 at 19:44.
Venkatesh is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 20th September 2023, 20:21   #54

I've been a silent reader throughout the years, but breaking my silence for this bike.

Even though I own a gen 1 Duke 390, I'm actually interested in this new platform. Thinking of upgrading ('upgrade' might be debatable for some) to Tuono 457 when it comes, and if comes at good pricing.

Upcoming R3 and Ninja 400 is gonna have some stiff competition if Aprilia prices the RS right. Yamaha doesn't look that great to me, and kawasaki has expensive after sale service. I don't have any idea about Aprilia though.

Coming back to the bike, 270° parallel twin is the highlight of this bike along with the absurd power to weight ratio. I can't believe how it is even lighter than the Rc390 despite having bigger displacement and a cylinder more. Can't imagine how much would Tuono weight (I'm pretty sure it must be in development already).

I saw some people saying that 270° parallel twin sounds most boring in this forum, so I tried to find a vehicle within similar engine, and that's CFMoto 450. Another 270° parallel twin bike which is getting some attention in the west. And the engine on RS looks like a downsize version of Rs660, which also has 270 crank some character. Attaching a few clips of both bikes below for reference. If RS457 sounds anything in between, it'd be a great product

CFMoto 450 SR (couldn't find a good stock exhaust video)

RS660 stock

RS660 with SC project CRT

I had a couple of doubts though, if someone could answer, it'd be great.

1. The a 457cc parallel twin mill's power is restricted by A2 licence, so do you think this bike might have great tuning potential with simple mods like a piggyback ecu, aftermarket exhaust and Inake?

2. Anyone has any idea about seat height? Has aprilia revealed anything?
aniruddha_98 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 10:08   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniruddha_98 View Post
I've been a silent reader throughout the years, but breaking my silence for this bike.

I saw some people saying that 270° parallel twin sounds most boring in this forum, so I tried to find a vehicle within similar engine, and that's CFMoto 450. Another 270° parallel twin bike which is getting some attention in the west. And the engine on RS looks like a downsize version of Rs660, which also has 270 crank some character. Attaching a few clips of both bikes below for reference. If RS457 sounds anything in between, it'd be a great product
Who said 270 twins sound boring? If anything, they produce the best sound among twins, comparable to V-Twins.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 14:19   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniruddha_98 View Post
I saw some people saying that 270° parallel twin sounds most boring in this forum, so I tried to find a vehicle within similar engine,
Don't know why would anyone say that, i actually sort of like the way how the Int 650 sounds.

Old 21st September 2023, 17:29   #57
BHPian

The coldest unveil ever. Was there a live stream for it?

Anyways, I was looking around the web for expected prices. Some of the price expectations are way too generous. People expect this to be at 4.5L ex showroom. That's far too much money for a 47Ps A2 license restricted made in India motorcycle.

Ninja 400 is priced at 5.17L ex showroom for very similar performance and engine configuration. But it is not made in India so taxation is much higher. It would have been around 1.5 lakh less if not for the 50% CKD taxes bringing it to 3.6/3.7 Lakh.

New Duke 390 engine will power the upcoming RC390 and its power is almost same as the Ninja 400. Looking at the trends, it will be priced around 3.3 Lakh when it comes out.

Aprilia is being manufactured in India. We can give it 10% more over the upcoming RC for a twin cylinder engine and an additional horsepower. So a good price will be 3.6/3.7 lakh, i.e. at par with Ninja 400 without the import taxes.

Anything more, and it will remain a niche offering and relevant only for exports. Hopefully Aprilia doesn't get too greedy and sticks to this pricing.
antz.bin is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 19:07   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shastryBLR View Post
I wonder when we'll start to boycott this pre-reveal, reveal, price reveal, manufacturing reveal, delivery reveal

So tired and burnt out with automobile launches these days. Anybody else feel the same?
Haha true man! Yesterday's event felt so unnecessary. They could've given some form of information to the public but no. However, I heard multiple journalists claim that the torque figure is 48 Nm! Is that some detail that was probably revealed only to them? If so that's a really good number.

There's only one video on YouTube from that event where the engine sound can be heard but it is very muffled from all the music.

On other news, dealership called me and asked me to confirm my email ID saying they will send me something in two days. Probably the price reveal is happening on the 23rd?

Last edited by SR1602 : 21st September 2023 at 19:33. Reason: Grammar
SR1602 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 19:45   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
Ninja 400 is priced at 5.17L ex showroom for very similar performance and engine configuration. But it is not made in India so taxation is much higher. It would have been around 1.5 lakh less if not for the 50% CKD taxes bringing it to 3.6/3.7 Lakh.
Aren't CKD taxes 15%? And CBU is 50%?

Remember reading that some time ago, unless I am mistaken about something...
Old 21st September 2023, 21:56   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
Anyways, I was looking around the web for expected prices. Some of the price expectations are way too generous. People expect this to be at 4.5L ex showroom. That's far too much money for a 47Ps A2 license restricted made in India motorcycle.

New Duke 390 engine will power the upcoming RC390 and its power is almost same as the Ninja 400. Looking at the trends, it will be priced around 3.3 Lakh when it comes out.

Aprilia is being manufactured in India. We can give it 10% more over the upcoming RC for a twin cylinder engine and an additional horsepower. So a good price will be 3.6/3.7 lakh, i.e. at par with Ninja 400 without the import taxes.

Anything more, and it will remain a niche offering and relevant only for exports. Hopefully Aprilia doesn't get too greedy and sticks to this pricing.
With all the excitement of the Kawasaki ZX4R's Indian launch and price announcement, the almost secretive global launch of the Aprilia RS 457 has sailed below the radar of most enthusiasts. Very few journalists / influencers were invited for the actual global launch and video footage of the bikes have been hard to come by. Aprilia's lack of marketing heft has been quite evident in the global and local unveiling of the RS 457. Given the company's small size and limited resources, I'm actually not surprised by any of this.

Coming to the pricing, my educated (??) guess is that the pricing is going to be around between Rs 4.5 - 5 L ex-showroom. Aprilia simply doesnt have the showroom span or service network to sell tens of thousands of RS 457 (and maybe even the Tuono 457) motorcycles each month. They arent going to see the economies of scale that say a KTM would with the 390 series or Kawasaki would with the 300 series. And Aprilia doesnt always play the aggressive pricing game in India or globally. There isnt anything wrong with their approach. Its just a function of their scale.

The bigger question is will the market accept a pricing close to the excellent Ninja 400 and well above the RC390? I think there is a clear space in the market for a gorgeous looking motorcycle like the RS 457 which comes with the promise of exciting performance. The KTMs, for all their explosive power and fun, are still big singles and come with the squid badge of (dis?)honor for free. The Kawasakis, for all their silky smoothness and reliability, are likely to be termed as soulless lookalikes by a segment of the enthusiast community. The Aprilia RS 457s could be great alternatives in the market. The seating position looks to be comfortable and the proportions seem to be well suited to big riders.

Would I pay a premium over the RC390 for an Indian made Aprilia RS 457? Simply put, yes.
neil.jericho is offline   (21) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks