Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2023, 12:10   #91

re: All-new Aprilia RS 457, now launched at 4.1 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR1602 View Post

+1. To be honest, my original plan was to get a used STriple or Ninja 1000 and if a good deal crops up in this period, I might as well take the plunge (with EMIs of course ). Really losing my patience here and the fact that my R15 got sold off far quicker than expected is just adding to the woes.
Haha, I'm in the same boat. Being 25, I was planning to upgrade to a stripple in 4-ish years. But sadly that age throws a lot of curveballs at you. Marriage, responsibilities, family's expectations. So my bet is, that will delay the purchase by a few more years. In that case, I cant live with my Gen 1 Duke 390 as I'm bored of it's unrefined characters and single-cylinder characteristics. It makes more sense to get a good bike that will last for some years and give me a premium experience as well. So decided to consider RS or Tuono. Let's see how they price the bike. Otherwise, stretch a little and get a good pre-owned street triple for 8L.

Last edited by Axe77 : 4th October 2023 at 03:59. Reason: Rs —> RS.
Old 29th September 2023, 17:28   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniruddha_98 View Post
Haha, I'm in the same boat. Being 25, I was planning to upgrade to a stripple in 4-ish years. But sadly that age throws a lot of curveballs at you. Marriage, responsibilities, family's expectations.. So my bet is, that will delay the purchase by a few more years. In that case, I cant live with my Gen 1 Duke 390 as I'm bored of it's unrefined characters and single-cylinder characteristics. It makes more sense to get a good bike that will last for some years and give me a premium experience as well. So decided to consider Rs or Tuono. Let's see how they price the bike. Otherwise, stretch a little and get a good pre-owned street triple for 8L.
Wow we are legit in the same boat but with some space-time continuum difference that's pushed me 3 years ahead of you and given me a slightly different curveball of MBA

And not to thwart your plans, but you might not find the RS to be a substantial upgrade when it comes to output, especially considering you had the OG Duke 390 with its unfiltered power. The refinement and multicylinder clause are definitely valid. Although a corner of my heart has some optimism that maybe the Indian release might not be capped at 47 Bhp considering how we have no power-based licensing restrictions in India. Good for the both of us in case that happens *fingers crossed*.

I feel Aprilia has a well-defined target persona for people like us in the 25-30 age group who aren't stacked enough to get a proper big bike but still yearn for something beyond a 390.
SR1602 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2023, 19:02   #93

Quote:
Wow we are legit in the same boat but with some space-time continuum difference that's pushed me 3 years ahead of you and given me a slightly different curveball of MBA

And not to thwart your plans, but you might not find the RS to be a substantial upgrade when it comes to output, especially considering you had the OG Duke 390 with its unfiltered power. The refinement and multicylinder clause are definitely valid. Although a corner of my heart has some optimism that maybe the Indian release might not be capped at 47 Bhp considering how we have no power-based licensing restrictions in India. Good for the both of us in case that happens *fingers crossed*.

I feel Aprilia has a well-defined target persona for people like us in the 25-30 age group who aren't stacked enough to get a proper big bike but still yearn for something beyond a 390.
Haha, I am pretty sure there are many like us.

I'm aware that it won't be any bump over my current 390, and that's valid. I'm thinking of spending some more and getting an aftermarket exhaust, air filter, and an ecu remap. That would suffice my craving for a few years I think. Or else, grind harder for a few more years and then I can get a 800-1000cc bike directly.

Last edited by Axe77 : 29th September 2023 at 22:20. Reason: Inadvertently missed text. As requested.
Old 29th September 2023, 21:50   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Or else, grind harder for a few more years and then I can get a 800-1000cc bike directly.
Funny how that's the exact thing that I told myself when they revealed this on the 7th

How's the situation in Pune? Do the showrooms have any details at all? (assuming you've visited any already)

Last edited by Axe77 : 29th September 2023 at 22:22. Reason: Updating quote tag.
Old 30th September 2023, 04:47   #95

Quote:
How's the situation in Pune? Do the showrooms have any details at all? (assuming you've visited any already)
I haven't showroom visited really, but that's because I'm more interested in Tuono 457 than the RS. And I think that will take some more time. Maybe a year? Gives me enough time to figure out things. (UNLESS 457 is really like a sport tourer kind of comfortable. But that looks highly unlikely)
Old 2nd October 2023, 15:15   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Apologies if I'm interfering in the discussion, but I would say, wait it out for a test ride.
True, the bhp figure is a big indication, but overall its not an indication of anything much except for drag race performance, assuming the same gearing, drag & aerodynamics for all bikes, which is again, just too a big assumption.

Ninja 300 had around the same figure as my Duke 390, but the former had a significant overrun, you could take it beyond the max power rpm, and a higher top speed too, while if you're near max power on Duke, you're in pressure to shift quickly to maintain drive/momentum.
Plus, its also likely to sustain high gears with lower speeds, better just because its a twin.

Plus, the aerodynamics of a faired bike will negate its weight demerit and help anywhere above 50-70 kmph, the more the better, something I felt while racing RC390's on my Duke 390 at BIC trackday & my drags later on.

Plus, ain't no replacement for displacement. 373cc vs 457cc is about 84cc's more. No way they won't be felt, in some revs or another.

To counter all this in Duke's favour, we can only say that your Duke is lighter in weight and of course, the emissions norms were lax back then, which reflects in performance, but how much, we can't quantify.

And we don't know the other factors like gearing and all. Towards the end, a test ride is needed. The mod scene like many said, will help enhance the twin better.

Last edited by Samarth 619 : 2nd October 2023 at 15:17.
Old 3rd October 2023, 10:25   #97
BHPian

Any news on the pricing?

I might be finally getting my own motorcycle and since I have wait till the end of the year anyway I thought I'd wait for the R3/MT03 and RS457.

The R3/MT03 is mostly out of contention as these bikes are going to be direct CBU imports and is gonna be another case of a ludicrously expensive sub 50hp motorcycle like the Ninja 400 (5.24 Lakh Ex-showroom, competitors like the RE 650's and Duke 390 are between 3-3.2L Ex-showroom).

Since the RS457 will be made in Piaggio India's plant in Baramati I have high hopes for the bike to priced competitively. I'm not even expecting it to be on par with the new 398cc Duke (3.10 Lakh Ex-showroom) in terms of pricing. Even I'm ready to pay 3.5L Ex-Showroom for Italian Engineering but the problem is that Aprilia/Vespa have always been let's just say rather ambitious with the pricing of their scooters. The Vespa and Aprilia SR/SXR scooter are some of the most expensive scooters on the market and Aprilia is already selling the Tuono/RS660 for about 13L Ex-showroom while competitors like the Honda 650's are priced around 9L Ex-showroom.

I have this fear that Aprilia will do what Aprilia does and charge CBU money for a fully Indian built bike.
Old 3rd October 2023, 10:41   #98
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyCarb55 View Post
Even I'm ready to pay 3.5L Ex-Showroom for Italian Engineering but the problem is that Aprilia/Vespa have always been let's just say rather ambitious with the pricing of their scooters.
I seriously doubt they'll price it anywhere lower than 4.0 - 4.5L ex showroom.
Axe77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 11:18   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I seriously doubt they'll price it anywhere lower than 4.0 - 4.5L ex showroom.
If that's the case then it's back to answering the age old question.

KTM 390 or Royal Enfield 650?
Old 3rd October 2023, 13:08   #100
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If that's the case then it's back to answering the age old question.

KTM 390 or Royal Enfield 650?
Frankly, I think neither. An RS 457 should perhaps be considered vs the 390 RC / Ninja 400.
Axe77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 22:26   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samarth 619 View Post
Apologies if I'm interfering in the discussion, but I would say, wait it out for a test ride.
True, the bhp figure is a big indication, but overall its not an indication of anything much except for drag race performance, assuming the same gearing, drag & aerodynamics for all bikes, which is again, just too a big assumption........
I am sorry my intention behind saying it won't feel like a substantial upgrade didn't come out right. I am not trying to belittle the RS here just by comparing the raw numbers. I could empathise with Aniruddha's mindset since I felt I was coming from the same thought process.

Since he was also looking to make that next big jump from the 390 and was eyeing the Street Triple, I somewhat understood what kind of an upgrade he was looking for which I felt was very much in line with my preferences as well. Having regularly ridden a Daytona back in my time in Delhi, I was also looking for that 100+ bhp slap-to-the-face power surge to be my next upgrade whenever it happens. And I know for a fact that the 457 isn't going to give me that.

Quote:
Any news on the pricing?

I'm not even expecting it to be on par with the new 398cc Duke (3.10 Lakh Ex-showroom) in terms of pricing. Even I'm ready to pay 3.5L Ex-Showroom for Italian Engineering
Just 40K more? That's quite unfair don't you think? I mean just the additional quantity of plastic and that aluminium frame is also going to warrant a lot more than 40k.

Quote:
Any news on the pricing?

the problem is that Aprilia/Vespa have always been let's just say rather ambitious with the pricing of their scooters. The Vespa and Aprilia SR/SXR scooter are some of the most expensive scooters on the market
Considering both the SR and Vespa pack a good 25-30cc and a bhp or two more than the competition, I wouldn't say they're charging you for nothing. Sure you can argue in the Vespa's case you shell out more for that arbitrary "iconic" factor. The SR range packs more premium components as well compared to the competitors.

Quote:

Aprilia is already selling the Tuono/RS660 for about 13L Ex-showroom while competitors like the Honda 650's are priced around 9L Ex-showroom.
Mate, big differences here. Honda's 650 twins are CKD models. RS660 is a CBU, that packs every imaginable electronic aid and much superior chassis, suspension and braking components. In terms of electronics, the CBR only has ABS and a traction control toggle switch. Even in the USA, they have a price difference of $1600. If the RS660 was being sold as CKD in India, you'd probably see it priced in the 10.5-11.5 range.

Quote:

I have this fear that Aprilia will do what Aprilia does and charge CBU money for a fully Indian built bike.
They won't be charging CBU money for sure, not even CKD money in fact. But they're not going to price it in KTM's segment-disrupting manner that's for sure.
SR1602 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2023, 10:24   #102

Quote:
I am sorry my intention behind saying it won't feel like a substantial upgrade didn't come out right. I am not trying to belittle the RS here just by comparing the raw numbers. I could empathise with Aniruddha's mindset since I felt I was coming from the same thought process.

Since he was also looking to make that next big jump from the 390 and was eyeing the Street Triple, I somewhat understood what kind of an upgrade he was looking for which I felt was very much in line with my preferences as well. Having regularly ridden a Daytona back in my time in Delhi, I was also looking for that 100+ bhp slap-to-the-face power surge to be my next upgrade whenever it happens. And I know for a fact that the 457 isn't going to give me that.
Haha I agree with both of you. RS457 being lighter than RC, and having more displacement, more power makes it an interesting proposition. Before getting my duke, I had an opportunity to shoot a drag between Duke 390, RR310 and Honda CB300R for a friend's YouTube channel. (on private roads, obviously). The guy on CB300R was particularly good, and I was surprised to see that bike being as quick as Duke 390 in around 0-80 sprints. I had a chance to ride that bike and I was honestly blown away. Despite having just 30 hp, the low weight and honda's refinement, that bike felt like it had 40. So I had a option of either going for a new CB300R, or Used Duke 390. If honda hadn't priced that bike absurdly I would have gotten it over 390 anyday. Point being, raw numbers don't tell the story and I agree.

But again, I've ridden Ninja 650, Trident 660, and both felt very linear and boring. Had a chance to ride a friend's Daytona a few years ago and I was in love.. But they discontinued it and it is difficult to find a good pre-owned bike for cheap. I had recently gone to triumph showroom to book friend's speed 400, when I took their street triple RS for a test ride and I'm honestly sold. The level of upgrade it makes you feel over Duke 390 for is unimaginable. The ease of riding, and that slap-in-the-face power paired with that sweet sounding triple had me giggling all the time. It wasn't as intimidating as the Daytona, but had similar power. I think I'm gonna wait for a few years and get a sparingly used one for around 8L.

I feel like I'm about to be thrown in similar situation I was in, a few years ago. Either buy a used street triple, or new 457.
But for that, RS457 needs to brings the feel and thrill which CB300R gave me, along with decent price.. So let's wait for pricing and test rides.
aniruddha_98 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 14:19   #103
BHPian

Quote:
So let's wait for pricing and test rides.
You should add a disclaimer stating "If they every provide any" because their approach with the RS launch is getting alarmingly scary. Went to the showroom again and they're still vague as hell. This time they stated that they still haven't received any information but the price reveal should be done by November since they were "told" that they can start accepting bookings by November. When in November is anyone's guess.

What's even more amusing are the ridiculous promotions on Aprilia India's Instagram handle. This should be a case study in B-schools on how not to do a product release/marketing. Posting reviews of some random actor named Punit Malhotra who's ignorant enough to say "the tyres look very rugged on the bike". They had the audacity to promote that video as valid social proof, instead of getting someone who has even minimal knowledge of motorcycles to do the talking. They literally took the time to make a post about the "epic bites of food" served at the so called launch event in Delhi! Putting a few screenshots here to show how much people are venting their frustration, but they seem least concerned about the backlash.
Attached Thumbnails
All-new Aprilia RS 457, now launched at 4.1 lakh-screenshot-20231009-140827.png  

All-new Aprilia RS 457, now launched at 4.1 lakh-screenshot-20231009-141551.png  

Attached Images

SR1602 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2023, 17:03   #104

Quote:
You should add a disclaimer stating "If they every provide any" because their approach with the RS launch is getting alarmingly scary. Went to the showroom again and they're still vague as hell. This time they stated that they still haven't received any information but the price reveal should be done by November since they were "told" that they can start accepting bookings by November. When in November is anyone's guess.

What's even more amusing are the ridiculous promotions on Aprilia India's Instagram handle. This should be a case study in B-schools on how not to do a product release/marketing. Posting reviews of some random actor named Punit Malhotra who's ignorant enough to say "the tyres look very rugged on the bike". They had the audacity to promote that video as valid social proof, instead of getting someone who has even minimal knowledge of motorcycles to do the talking. They literally took the time to make a post about the "epic bites of food" served at the so called launch event in Delhi! Putting a few screenshots here to show how much people are venting their frustration, but they seem least concerned about the backlash.
Oh that's so sad. I was having second thought about the second hand street triple and have been thinking of grabbing the tuono sooner.. But knowing aprilia, I'm not sure if they even have a plan for tuono launch in '24. Another sad thing is, there are no other worthy upgrades over my 390 that I see in around 5-6Lakhs. Trident is way too sane for way too high of a price. I'm strictly against kawasakis because aftersale nightmare that they have. R3 will be coming as CBU most probably. And not much of an upgrade over Duke 390.
Old 6th November 2023, 19:09   #105
BHPian

Rumors, Speculation and Loads of Disappointment

It has been just under two months since the RS457 was announced and all the hype and excitement has effectively transitioned into the three things I mentioned in the title of this post.

Rumors: Got to know from some journalist friends that Aprilia's (or Piaggio's?) management in Italy was apparently planning to completely axe the product launch in India.

Speculation: As per him, the reason behind that may be attributed to the fact that certain dealers have been accepting under the table bookings before any official announcements which infuriated the upper management in Europe. I interacted with a stranger on Instagram whom I met through Aprilia India's handle who confirmed that he had paid 50k as the booking amount and was promised a delivery in the first week of January. The conversation seemed legitimate enough but then again, he's a stranger on Instagram.

Loads of Disappointment: This is what I am going through. The dealership keeps pushing the dates with every enquiry I make. End of September became first week of October, which became end of October, which then became first week of November, which has already gone. Now they have pretty much told me, "we don't know anything sir, but we'll update you the moment anything comes up". I can't even blame them a lot for this but it's Aprilia India's official Instagram page that is just infuriating me by putting post after post about the RS457 with no useful details at all!!

Each post is packed to the brim with just questions and negative comments, yet all they are giving is just canned responses of "Good things are worth the wait ", "Hit the follow button and you'll be the first to know", "A little birdie tells us pricing is at a sweet spot". And I kid you not, it's the same 3 responses repeated everywhere! I'll be intensifying my efforts back towards the used SBK market and this will be my last post on this thread till any tangible details arrive.

I was really looking forward to starting the first RS457 Ownership Review thread here but alas, there seems to be a huge question mark lingering on if this bike will even be launched here in the first place.
SR1602 is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks