Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2023, 11:15   #16
BHPian

Re: RE Classic 350 long-term performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
As far as the CI 500 is concerned the torque generated by that motor was raw and like punch in the guts. The AVL LB500 bettered it further carried forward by the UCE 500. Sadly, RE has now stopped producing 500 singles. I always say this, "Once you ride the 500, there is no going back to a 350."
Oh yeah. I once rode the CI 500 for a few kms in the city, and it was exhilarating. I used to have an RX 100 and had ridden the RD 350. The 500 felt like a combo of both
It's really sad that they've done away with the 500. Maybe, at some point they can come up with a dedicated 450 cc single with the 90 mm stroke.
Quote:
Having owned RE's from almost all the era's except the 40's, all I can say is RE has come a long way from the days of CI to AVL to UCE to the new J series platform.
Amazing, you're quite an aficionado I wish I was as lucky. I've known older people who had CI 350s from the 1960s and heard them talk with nostalgia about their experiences.
But can you elaborate on how you feel RE's engines have evolved? Is the J series the best in all aspects?
Do you feel they've missed out on significant characteristics of the older engines?
For instance, all this current talk of the Enfield thump makes me laugh. At this point, it's mostly marketing hype. Anyone who's ridden a well-built and properly run-in 350 CI knows that the classic silencer produced thumps that can only be described as music. Or, the sheer pleasure of that oh-so-slow idle has to be felt in person. You know what I am talking about.
Why they shortened the 90 mm stroke is a mystery to me, but that's a huge deal as far as I am concerned. Funnily, it's the Honda that is more Enfield than Enfield in this regard Haha.
My primary concern now is, of course, reliability. The old bikes really needed to be cared for and maintained (often not a costly affair). Sadly, one doesn't have the time or the resources to do that in the times we live in. So, the J series sounds like a decent compromise.
Quote:
My suggestion to you would be to rent the new CL350 (Reborn) as well as the Honda CB350 for a day and check the performance. If you are kind of relaxed rider who like to take in the scenery while going on a ride and want to do it in comfort then either of these motorcycles wont disappoint you.
That's a good suggestion! The thing with the Honda is that wheelbase seems too long. Of course, it's be great on the highway, but this is not a bike you can flick. The CL 350 felt quite compact and accessible when I rode it.
Then there is the okay-ish seat of the Honda. I suspect the difference in comfort between the Honda and RE will be significant after one has ridden for 200 kms.
Would love to hear what you feel about the seating comfort, as that's a big deal for me.
Quote:
Also remember if you are going to use CL 350 (Reborn) for extensive two up touring with luggage then it might have less juice compared to the Himalayan/Scram.
I didn't much like the Himalyan. The wheelbase is too long, and what I just didn't like was the footpeg placement. Let's not even get into the sound of the exhaust.
Frankly, a Honda or RE 350 should be fine for most of what I have in mind. The idea is to go slow and notice your surroundings.
Quote:
P.S. Having owned numerous RE's I have noticed that periodic maintenance coupled with preventive maintenance keeps the motorcycles trouble free.
Exactly my experience!

Last edited by SDP : 5th March 2023 at 11:28. Reason: Smiley usage is limited to 2 per post. :)
Old 5th March 2023, 12:14   #17

Renting out both CL 350 and H’ness would be great to clear any doubts that you have. Also the recent launch of the custom kits for H’ness would help it become a better package overall. The comfy seats and touring bits would help you during those tour days. The highness does have a thumpy exhaust but doesn’t really have that FEEL(no offence as it’s super refined)that one would expect from a classic themed bike. It’s always which motorcycle suits you the best as none of them are perfect.
TD both of them extensively and take the plunge as life’s too short to be lived without a motorcycle��
themotohead_doc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2023, 12:31   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelsvaga View Post
But can you elaborate on how you feel RE's engines have evolved? Is the J series the best in all aspects?
I wouldn't go as far as to say that J series is the best in all aspects as it is still a young engine platform and is evolving. All engines from RE pre J series were pushrod torquey motors. Those engines, especially the CI's used to give a healthy bottom end torque with adequate mid range power. The AVL engines were mated with an all new 5 speed gearbox (prior to which it was seen on CI Electra's) which was much needed (also the gear shifter was on the conventional left slide and brake pedal on the right). The gear operated oil circulation in AVL engines were better than piston pump style oil circulation in CI's. The CV type carburetor on the AVL's were supposedly reliable compared to old Mikuni carbs on CI's. While the latter had room for tinkering by enthusiasts. Then came the ignition, again the AVL had a reliable CDI ignition (no need for battery to start the motorcycle) followed by TCI ignition which was electronically controlled compared to electromechanical CB point ignition in CI which required adequate care especially during the monsoon. In the latter the enthusiasts again had room for tinkering with the CB point.

Then came the UCE's where the gearbox was no longer a separate unit but was integrated into the engine, yet it still retained the classic pushrod setup albeit with hydraulic tappets. Initial batches had some teething issues but were resolved as the engine evolved. Some models, especially the 500cc came with EFi followed by ABS, better oil circulation, minor bump in power, etc. This was the platform that catapulted RE into the big league both in domestic as well as international market. Surprisingly it had a shelf life of less than 15 years (except for 350cc Bullet UCE which is still on sale but not sure for how long), thanks to emissions and regulations and fast moving market.

The J series engine is a completely new engine platform with OHC, EFi, ABS, etc. One cannot compare it with engines of the yore as it is truly modern in all aspects. Due to the engine characteristics the sound will be different, which is nothing unusual but usual physics related to metallurgy, crank weight, ignition, short stroke vs long stroke, etc.
Quote:
Do you feel they've missed out on significant characteristics of the older engines?
For instance, all this current talk of the Enfield thump makes me laugh. At this point, it's mostly marketing hype. Anyone who's ridden a well-built and properly run-in 350 CI knows that the classic silencer produced thumps that can only be described as music. Or, the sheer pleasure of that oh-so-slow idle has to be felt in person. You know what I am talking about.
Forget about the thump difference between CI vs AVL vs UCE vs J series, did you know people even compare the thump of G1 (1940's), G2 (1950's) and B1 (1960's) CI's with CI's from the 70's 80's 90's and 2000's. There is no end to it. In short, every big single is a Thumper. Some have a deep thump while some have a mellow thump.

The J series has a mellow thump which is good if one does extensive touring as the noise is kept to the minimum and the ride becomes enjoyable after a certain point of time. IMO every engine has its own character and one should leave it as it came from the factory. That's why my G2, B1, LX series CI's and ex-AVL, current UCE are as per original factory specs where I have not done any modifications to them just to make them sound better.
Quote:
Why they shortened the 90 mm stroke is a mystery to me, but that's a huge deal as far as I am concerned. Funnily, it's the Honda that is more Enfield than Enfield in this regard Haha.
Please understand that most OHC engines have shorter strokes vis a vis their pushrod counterparts of same displacement. If one compares RE J series and Honda CB350, its funny that despite having approx. 4mm less stroke than CB350, the J series has a better bottom end than CB350. I believe its the gear ratios at play considering both engines have identical compression ratios. Also note that Honda betters the CL350 J series by offering alloy wheels, LED lights, bigger fuel tank, lighter than 14kgs, marginally better power and torque figures, etc. Also check the standard and extended warranty on both Honda and RE.
Quote:
My primary concern now is, of course, reliability. The old bikes really needed to be cared for and maintained (often not a costly affair). Sadly, one doesn't have the time or the resources to do that in the times we live in. So, the J series sounds like a decent compromise.
Yes, it will be comparatively trouble free than engines of the yore from RE. Depending on your priority you can make a choice.
Quote:
That's a good suggestion! The thing with the Honda is that wheelbase seems too long. Of course, it's be great on the highway, but this is not a bike you can flick. The CL 350 felt quite compact and accessible when I rode it.
Then there is the okay-ish seat of the Honda. I suspect the difference in comfort between the Honda and RE will be significant after one has ridden for 200 kms.
Would love to hear what you feel about the seating comfort, as that's a big deal for me.
As far as flickability is concerned I believe Honda CB350 will be better in city conditions given that it is 14kgs lighter than RE CL350, wheelbase notwithstanding. I haven't sat on either of the motorcycles, so others who have owned either of these two motorcycles can chime in.
Quote:
Frankly, a Honda or RE 350 should be fine for most of what I have in mind. The idea is to go slow and notice your surroundings.
It's the classic head vs heart situation when it comes to both these motorcycles. Rent them both if you can and then decide.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2023, 20:36   #19

Any inputs on the low rider seat for Classic 350? How much is the gain for feet on the ground? What do we lose in terms of riding posture and/or seat comfort?

My feet position on a regular seat:
Name:  classic.png
Views: 703
Size:  787.5 KB

Thanks
Old 20th October 2023, 11:12   #20
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Thank you everybody for your thoughts on the Classic 350 Reborn, which influenced my decision on buying this bike. On October 8, 2023, I took delivery of my black beast.

RE Classic 350 long-term performance-img20231008wa0004.jpg
RE Classic 350 long-term performance-img20231008120005.jpg

Many of my fellow members have discussed technical details that I am not very familiar with. Likewise, I don't know a lot about Honda Highness.

In the two weeks that I spent riding my first Royal Enfield, the Classic 350, I learned just one thing. There is no comparison for a RE Classic. "A Classic 350 is a real CLASSIC". And my initial thoughts on Royal Enfield are that the ergonomics and balancing are so excellent that I don't feel like I'm riding a 200 kg motorcycle. It is so well-balanced and encouraging. That is why there is such a strong desire for Royal Enfield.
Krish_Diesel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st October 2023, 22:31   #21
BHPian

Go for the Meteor if you are touring two up with luggage much, it's more comfortable than the classic with the same engine, but behaves slightly like a tourer on the Meteor. Once you get a hang of it, pretty easy to be ridden in the city.

I ride a 2015 UCE Thunderbird at 1,32,000 kms on the odo.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks