Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2023, 00:04   #1
BHPian

RE Classic 350 long-term performance

Hi all, I am looking to hear from people who’ve been using the RE Classic 350 since at least the last year.

I remember the old CI bullets were heavy but still came to around 167 kgs. At 195 kgs the Classic 350 is much heavier. Do you find it easy to handle this weight when you are out in the city?

I assume it allows for stability on the highways, but is there any way you felt disadvantaged because of this weight out on the highway?

I am also wondering how the bike will behave once it is loaded up with some luggage and there is a pillion on board.

Overall, the Classic 350 gives one a sense of compactness while riding it. Is this because of the placement of the footpegs? Do you find that it is less tiring over long highway distances or not so good roads?

Are the maintenance cost of the Classic 350 much higher than the other REs? In particular, is the newly launched Hunter cheaper to maintain over the long-run?

Thanks!
2wheelsvaga is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th February 2023, 12:20   #2

Re: RE Classic 350 long-term performance

Hi 2wheelsvaga, I’ve been using the Classic 350 reborn since Jan’22 and it’s been a good experience with the bike albeit with a few niggles here and there.

1. The bike masks it’s weight well on the highways and once on the move in general. Yes the bike stays planted at speeds of 80-100 kmph( not that it’ll go beyond it comfortably).

2. The pillion comfort is really good as I’ve done all my city commutes with a pillion on board 70% of the time and none have complained about pains even in peak Mumbai jams. The fact that my STORMBREAKER (yes that’s what I call her) is equipped with the optional touring seats helps the matter.

3. The maintenance has been to the tune of 2-3k depending on the type of VAS you opt for, I usually opt for Teflon coating(my usage involves a GG tank bag most of the times) as it restores the gloss and finish. Without it your regular service should set you back by 1800-2000₹.

4. RE service is usually a hit or a miss generally, and my experience has been the same with the brand.
The drain hole near the fuel cap keeps clogging up frequently with no solution till date except for blowing pressurised air at regular intervals.
The major issue I faced was with the rear brake making a heavy metallic grinding noise since Dec’22 and the service centre guys experimenting over every possible component at the back of my bike. The issue has been traced to a faulty calliper of the rear brake which is now to be replaced under warranty.( Many cases seen on YouTube)

5. But what I can assure you is this machine will take you back in time to the good old days of relaxed riding. I’ve taken the longer routes, or missed that turn to my home and also heading randomly for a short ride without a second thought.
The classic 350 Reborn is for sure a keeper.

I’ll be glad to help you with anything else that you might want to know.
Cheers,
Dr. Rishi S
Attached Thumbnails
RE Classic 350 long-term performance-32bc1ffa75e54eb8ae3f1404c1a5922b.jpeg  

themotohead_doc is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 24th February 2023, 12:40   #3
BHPian

Here’s my opinion as a RE Std Bullet 350[UCE] owner and it’s been my daily ride for the past 5 years.

Yes the current crop of Enfields Bullet or Classic weigh approximately 200kgs and that holds true for both the current J series ones and the older UCEs.

The weight is manageable in city traffic and out on the highways. Even in slow city traffic where everyone is moving at snail’s pace the weight of the bike is right at the centre which means you’ll be able to manage the bike while on stand still and even when zipping through traffic. Ofcourse you cannot compare the zipping through traffic with the likes of a Splendor or Activa but even then it’s highly manoeuvrable. With a firm footing while on stand still you can manage easily in start stop traffic without having to worry about tipping the bike off.

On the highways the weight adds a plus point where you are more stable and crosswinds do not affect much compared to other lighter motorcycles. You are less likely to be thrown around by potholes at high speeds since the weight of the bike and the decent suspension smoothens out the ride quality.

Weight can only be a hinderance if you expect to brutal fast acceleration (the likes of KTMs) and catch up speeds be it in city or out on the highway in which case you’ll be disappointed. It’s after all a cruiser and is meant to be ridden at decent speeds where the current J series fairs much better than the UCEs. Loading up the bike with panniers and top boxes gives no disadvantages and the bike feels as stable as it is when unloaded.

The riding posture with respect to foot pegs is designed for comfort and you’ll rarely feel any physical strain while riding it.

When it comes to maintenance my Bullet is serviced only at RE service shops and the maintenance and running costs are well within check. Expect the service costs to be around 1.5k for the first two years and around 3k after that. The current J series have a service interval of 6 months compared to my UCE Bullet which requires a service every 3 months or 3000 kms whichever comes earlier. This 3 months service interval is only specific to BS 4 UCE Bullets not including the Classic of same vintage.

Pro Tip - If you’re really worried about managing weight at slow traffic speeds get leg guards for both front and back. They prevent the bike from completely falling over flat on its side and even if you manage to tip it the front and rear leg guards make sure that the bike only lands at around 45 degrees lean angle instead of a complete 90 degree flat fall. I’ve managed to tip it twice in slow traffic and it was completely my fault as I hadn’t set my foot down firmly.
Skyline_GT is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th February 2023, 20:48   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by themotohead_doc View Post
Hi 2wheelsvaga, I’ve been using the Classic 350 reborn since Jan’22 and it’s been a good experience with the bike albeit with a few niggles here and there.
Thanks for the detailed reply. Let me first congratulate you how well you’ve kept the bike. It looks like it’s asking to be ridden out on the highway for a relaxed cruise!
I notice that you’re based in Bombay. Given the high humidity and rainfall, do you notice any issues with rusting, or faulty electricals?

Quote:
1. The bike masks its weight well on the highways and once on the move in general. Yes the bike stays planted at speeds of 80-100 kmph( not that it’ll go beyond it comfortably).
Do you feel it getting bogged down once you lose it up with a pillion and luggage rack? Or, is the torque sufficient to maintain 90 kmph?
On a long cruise, I really don’t see myself wanting to go at more than 90 kmph.
Quote:
2. The pillion comfort is really good as I’ve done all my city commutes with a pillion on board 70% of the time and none have complained about pains even in peak Mumbai jams. The fact that my STORMBREAKER (yes that’s what I call her) is equipped with the optional touring seats helps the matter.
Would you say it’s essential to get the touring seats if one is particular about comfort over long distances?
Is it a huge difference between the standard and touring seats?
Quote:
4. RE service is usually a hit or a miss generally, and my experience has been the same with the brand.
Sigh. Looks like not much has changed with RE service in the many years that I’ve been away from a bullet.
To be honest, my main interest in getting an RE is the extensive dealer network. I plan to go to the mountains quite a bit, and say, wouldn’t want to be stranded somewhere with a Honda CB350 haha!
Quote:
5. But what I can assure you is this machine will take you back in time to the good old days of relaxed riding. I’ve taken the longer routes, or missed that turn to my home and also heading randomly for a short ride without a second thought.
The classic 350 Reborn is for sure a keeper.
Wonderfully put! Frankly, the exhaust note is disappointing, so I’m glad to hear that the ride experience remains the same as before
2wheelsvaga is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2023, 23:47   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelsvaga View Post
Thanks for the detailed reply. Let me first congratulate you how well you’ve kept the bike. It looks like it’s asking to be ridden out on the highway for a relaxed cruise!
I notice that you’re based in Bombay. Given the high humidity and rainfall, do you notice any issues with rusting, or faulty electricals?
Thank you for your kind words, I prefer to wash my bike once a month with ShineXPro’s Shampoo(not a brand promotion) apart from the regular cleaning done by the washing guy. I’m happy to report no rusting or electrical glitches whatsoever till date. Just minor fogging up of the speedo console occurs during monsoons.

Quote:
Do you feel it getting bogged down once you lose it up with a pillion and luggage rack? Or, is the torque sufficient to maintain 90 kmph?
On a long cruise, I really don’t see myself wanting to go at more than 90 kmph.
I’ve never felt the bike struggle with a pillion even at speeds of 80kmph. The bike chugs along effortlessly at 80-90kmph with still some reserve torque for overtakes. The bike feels in its absolute sweet spot around these speeds with barely any vibes.

Quote:
Would you say it’s essential to get the touring seats if one is particular about comfort over long distances?
Is it a huge difference between the standard and touring seats?
The touring seats definitely add to the comfort quotient with minimal sag and excellent padding. Based on my experience of multiple 200-250km rides, I would recommend these without a second thought.
I cannot comment on the difference between the two as I specced mine with the Touring ones from the factory itself.

Quote:
Sigh. Looks like not much has changed with RE service in the many years that I’ve been away from a bullet.
To be honest, my main interest in getting an RE is the extensive dealer network. I plan to go to the mountains quite a bit, and say, wouldn’t want to be stranded somewhere with a Honda CB350 haha!
Yes the expansive dealer network and abundant supply of running spares helps tip the scales in the classic 350’s favour.
Also your relationship with the SA’s at your regular ASC does help ease things a bit.

Quote:
Wonderfully put! Frankly, the exhaust note is disappointing, so I’m glad to hear that the ride experience remains the same as before
Yes, the exhaust does feel a bit muted but the same fact helps ease the ear fatigue over longer distances.And if exhaust note is a priority for you there’s plenty of good quality one’s available in the aftermarket from RedRooster, AEW etc.
Also, I noticed Bombay in your location too. Would love to catch up for a ride someday soon.
themotohead_doc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2023, 01:06   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline_GT View Post
Yes the current crop of Enfields Bullet or Classic weigh approximately 200kgs and that holds true for both the current J series ones and the older UCEs.
Any ideas why this is so? They've removed the kick and its related mechanisms, so that's some kind of weight saving. What is actually adding to the weight?
Do you think we can expect to see the weight being trimmed in the models to be released in the coming year(s)? Well, if the Meteor 650 is anything to go by, we should expect the opposite!
Quote:
The weight is manageable in city traffic and out on the highways. Even in slow city traffic where everyone is moving at snail’s pace the weight of the bike is right at the centre which means you’ll be able to manage the bike while on stand still and even when zipping through traffic. Ofcourse you cannot compare the zipping through traffic with the likes of a Splendor or Activa but even then it’s highly manoeuvrable. With a firm footing while on stand still you can manage easily in start stop traffic without having to worry about tipping the bike off.
Sounds good. I wonder, however, as to how it behaves when you are riding on gravel or other such loose surfaces. You see, one of the worst things to happen to a motorcyclists is to put their foot down on gravel or other loose surfaces. I would imagine the 195 kg hulk will be a liability in such situations.
Quote:
Weight can only be a hinderance if you expect to brutal fast acceleration (the likes of KTMs) and catch up speeds be it in city or out on the highway in which case you’ll be disappointed. It’s after all a cruiser and is meant to be ridden at decent speeds where the current J series fairs much better than the UCEs. Loading up the bike with panniers and top boxes gives no disadvantages and the bike feels as stable as it is when unloaded.
That's interesting. I've seen videos of other 350 cc bikes, such as the CB 350, which get disbalanced (e.g. there is a minor tank slapper) when ridden about 80 kmph with a full load of luggage at the back and sides.
Quote:
The riding posture with respect to foot pegs is designed for comfort and you’ll rarely feel any physical strain while riding it.
Great!
Quote:
When it comes to maintenance my Bullet is serviced only at RE service shops and the maintenance and running costs are well within check. Expect the service costs to be around 1.5k for the first two years and around 3k after that. The current J series have a service interval of 6 months compared to my UCE Bullet which requires a service every 3 months or 3000 kms whichever comes earlier. This 3 months service interval is only specific to BS 4 UCE Bullets not including the Classic of same vintage.
That's great. So, I suppose this extended period of no-service issues eventually translates into cheaper overcoming running costs.

Quote:
Pro Tip - If you’re really worried about managing weight at slow traffic speeds get leg guards for both front and back. They prevent the bike from completely falling over flat on its side and even if you manage to tip it the front and rear leg guards make sure that the bike only lands at around 45 degrees lean angle instead of a complete 90 degree flat fall. I’ve managed to tip it twice in slow traffic and it was completely my fault as I hadn’t set my foot down firmly.
Definitely, will try, when I get a chance!

Quote:
I’m happy to report no rusting or electrical glitches whatsoever till date. Just minor fogging up of the speedo console occurs during monsoons.
It's encouraging to hear that! I suppose we'll know in another year from now. After all, your motorcycle is quite new, and may well be able to bear the brunt of the weather.
Quote:
I’ve never felt the bike struggle with a pillion even at speeds of 80kmph. The bike chugs along effortlessly at 80-90kmph with still some reserve torque for overtakes. The bike feels in its absolute sweet spot around these speeds with barely any vibes.
This is promising. You see, the other motorcycle I am considering is the Honda CB 350. The main reason I am interested in the RE is because of its comfortable seat, and the nicely spaced gear ratios, so I am keen on knowing the relative qualities of how they will work.
Quote:
The touring seats definitely add to the comfort quotient with minimal sag and excellent padding. Based on my experience of multiple 200-250km rides, I would recommend these without a second thought.
I cannot comment on the difference between the two as I specced mine with the Touring ones from the factory itself.

Yes the expansive dealer network and abundant supply of running spares helps tip the scales in the classic 350’s favour.
Also your relationship with the SA’s at your regular ASC does help ease things a bit.

Yes, the exhaust does feel a bit muted but the same fact helps ease the ear fatigue over longer distances.And if exhaust note is a priority for you there’s plenty of good quality one’s available in the aftermarket from RedRooster, AEW etc.
Also, I noticed Bombay in your location too. Would love to catch up for a ride someday soon.

Last edited by aah78 : 25th February 2023 at 05:58. Reason: Posts merged.
2wheelsvaga is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2023, 10:54   #7
BHPian

Quote:

I remember the old CI bullets were heavy but still came to around 167 kgs. At 195 kgs the Classic 350 is much heavier. Do you find it easy to handle this weight when you are out in the city?
It’s heavy but it has its own advantages even in City. Thanks to the shorter gearing you won’t have to change gears often and given its torquey nature, you can forget what gear you are on and just putter around.
I don’t think you will find it difficult to use in the city. The weight is well balanced and taking U turns is also a piece of cake. Also even at sub - 5 kmph speeds you won’t require to put your feet down in traffic, it stands straight. From my standpoint, it’s one of the easiest bikes to ride in the city and highway too.

Quote:

I assume it allows for stability on the highways, but is there any way you felt disadvantaged because of this weight out on the highway?

I am also wondering how the bike will behave once it is loaded up with some luggage and there is a pillion on board.
It’s not a powerful bike! It is a torquey bike that will have decent acceleration till 80 kmph irrespective of extra load - pillion/luggage. After 80 it accelerates at a lesser pace but if you want to extract max performance you can revv it on 4th gear to cross 100 kmph as 5th gear is more of an overdrive.
Even the lighter Hunter has the same characteristics including the top speed.

Quote:

Overall, the Classic 350 gives one a sense of compactness while riding it. Is this because of the placement of the footpegs? Do you find that it is less tiring over long highway distances or not so good roads?
The Classic has very neutral driving ergos that doesn’t strain any part of the body more than the other , be it hands, legs or back.

The suspension is a little stiff, especially when compared to the UCE Classic but it provides more stability on the highway and also complements the more rigid and stiff platform.

PS - I don’t own a Classic but have taken several extended test rides when it was launched.
Waspune is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2023, 13:16   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline_GT View Post
Do you know why this is so? The Bullet was almost an ideal weight earlier (in a manner of speaking-an great combo for city and highway riding). So, why has the weight gone up so steadily? The kick is gone, the gearbox is on longer separate, and there are no timing gears. What are the main components that are adding all this weight?
Quote:
The weight is manageable in city traffic and out on the highways. Even in slow city traffic where everyone is moving at snail’s pace the weight of the bike is right at the centre which means you’ll be able to manage the bike while on stand still and even when zipping through traffic.
On the highways the weight adds a plus point where you are more stable and crosswinds do not affect much compared to other lighter motorcycles. You are less likely to be thrown around by potholes at high speeds since the weight of the bike and the decent suspension smoothens out the ride quality.
Of course, this is true. I wonder, however, if so much weight makes the bike "un-flickable?" Even the old Bullet couldn't just be thrown around and took its own sweet time to manoeuvre. I also comparing this with the CB 350, the direct competitor to the classic 350. The Honda has a nicely low COG and is much easier to flick around, though the latter is compromised quite a bit due to that really long wheelbase.
Quote:
Loading up the bike with panniers and top boxes gives no disadvantages and the bike feels as stable as it is when unloaded.
On that subject, do you have personal experience? In the city or while touring? I gather that the Honda has an issue with front wheel wobble when it is loaded up with a pillion and heavy panniers. Do you think this is also an issue for the Classic 350?
Quote:
Yeah, when I test rode the Classic it felt quite nice and compact.
I do want to ask if you think the touring seats make a big and obvious difference when it come to going out on the highway for several hours?
Quote:
The current J series have a service interval of 6 months compared to my UCE Bullet which requires a service every 3 months or 3000 kms whichever comes earlier. This 3 months service interval is only specific to BS 4 UCE Bullets not including the Classic of same vintage.
Yeah, the costs seem pretty okay by contemporary standards (and all the inflation). I think the 6 month service interval probably helps even more, given the high cost of synthetic oils.
Quote:
Definitely, that's a good solution. Again, I would be a bit wary given the already high weight of the bike. My sense is that with the panniers loaded up, and accessories such as this, the total weight will be quite a bit.

Quote:
Great to hear that. For my purposes it's all about torque (hopefully addictive!) delivery.
Btw, have you ridden the Honda CB 350? How would you compare its torque availability around the 70-90 kmph band, with the Classic's?
Quote:
Great. That's an emphatic recommendation. I wonder if there are members here who have experience using the standard seat and then the touring version. It'll be useful hearing their experiences comparing the two, and if the standard seat has any advantages over the touring seat.
Unless I am wrong, you have to take the standard seats when you buy the bike, and you end up being forced to buy the touring seats as an after-market accessory. Such a bummer.
Quote:
Yeah, generally these things make a big difference to the ownership experience. I don't know how much the local mechanics work on these newer Bullets, but they used to be the best, with often a vast amount of experience. I guess that's not really going to be an option now.
Quote:
Sure! When I actually get a machine. To be honest, I still haven't made up my mind between the Classic and the Honda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
It’s heavy but it has its own advantages even in City. Thanks to the shorter gearing you won’t have to change gears often and given its torquey nature, you can forget what gear you are on and just putter around.
Yeah, that's the idea. I wonder if you can compare how the Classic behaves in terms of torque delivery with the old CI Bullet 500? I hear that was a proper torque monster.
Quote:
I don’t think you will find it difficult to use in the city. The weight is well balanced and taking U turns is also a piece of cake. Also even at sub - 5 kmph speeds you won’t require to put your feet down in traffic, it stands straight. From my standpoint, it’s one of the easiest bikes to ride in the city and highway too.
That's such a cool thing. We used to have fun balancing at slow speeds even on the much lighter old CI Bullet too
In fact, contrary to common-sense perceptions such stable bikes can be relaxing to ride in city conditions too. The lighter ones tend to be thrown around too easily.
The only issue is when you have to push or pull them with your hands. Or, of course, when you have puncture!
Quote:
It’s not a powerful bike! It is a torquey bike that will have decent acceleration till 80 kmph irrespective of extra load - pillion/luggage. After 80 it accelerates at a lesser pace but if you want to extract max performance you can revv it on 4th gear to cross 100 kmph as 5th gear is more of an overdrive.
Even the lighter Hunter has the same characteristics including the top speed.
I think that should suffice for my purposes, especially since I am looking to load it up with bags. I think for most mature riders, 80-90 kmph are the best overall speeds when it comes to negotiating Indian highways.
I am, however, curious as to how Honda have managed to eke out more power than the Classic from a similar engine design.
Quote:
The Classic has very neutral driving ergos that doesn’t strain any part of the body more than the other , be it hands, legs or back.
Good to hear that as it's quite important for my purposes.

Last edited by SDP : 5th March 2023 at 11:31. Reason: Merging back to back posts. Please use the multi-quote option rather than typing one post after another
Old 26th February 2023, 18:38   #9

Although many members have beautifully answered your queries.
I like to add my piece, I have owned classic 350 from 2015. Most consider Royal Enfield (specially UCE) unreliable but mine has not shown any major issues, only regular service is done.

Regarding the weight of the bike, it can be a problem in incline when reversing (I'm 5'5) but other than that once you are habitual you can ride it in city easily.

Also due to torque of engine, it can still manage 80-90 km/hr with a pillion.But you have to understand its not fast as KTMs and will not be helpful above these speeds. You will have to work the engine, which is followed by vibrations (Talking for UCE don't know about J series).

Also regarding riding on gravel, one has to be careful due to weight at rear it can be slippery sometimes. Have met my fair share when I newly owned it.

I have not installed tour seats but I regularly do 350+ km rides.(mix of city, highway and hills) With occasional breaks like after 75km (it is doable). So comfort wise its no problem. Moreover long rides also depends on ones physical fitness. Also gear ratios help certainly

I will recommend to find a good local mechanics once your warranty period is off. It will be more cheaper and you will be spared from Service center attitude. I generally order engine oil online and then go for servicing to make it cost effective. Also I find the parts are cheaper compared to other bikes in this price range. My bikes routine service takes about Rs 2000-2500.

Also if you decide to buy it, make sure to go to hills. Its torque is addictive.

P.S. don't change exhaust. Some are very loud plus irritating and also illegal.

Hope it helps.
Regards

Last edited by Sid_W : 26th February 2023 at 18:39.
Sid_W is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 17:46   #10
BHPian

I owned 2014 Model Classic 350 Silver for 7 years. The service interval for 2014 model was every 3-4 months and service cost is around 2000 to 2500. I previously owned a Bajaj Pulsar 135 LS and I redlined that bike in every safe chance I get and even potholes were not an issue for that bike. Now coming from that bike to classic 350 was a very big change and initially I could not cope with this change, I tried to ride Classic 350 in the same way as my Pulsar and soon every parts started to get damaged. In initial 2 years I faced lot of tappet noise, changed clutch system 2 times (Rs.5000 *2), chain sprocket changed, battery failure (if kept idle for 2 weeks), clutch wire broke 2 times, in slopes front brake failure due to overheat, slightest pothole will make the bend the spoke wheel (tired of spoke wheel bent I bought alloy wheels , now alloy wheel did not get bent but the bearing inside the wheel broke ) etc... Then I changed from my youth riding to what my friends say , the uncle style riding and things change a bit better. No clutch changed as I changed gear only slowly , moved slowly, etc.

even after slow riding, in middle of heavy Bengaluru traffic that too during thunderstorm my bike's clutch wire broke 2 time and mechanic said its very common in bullet and always carry spare everywhere I go. Imagine you are stuck in redlight and every insane Bengalurians honking without understanding our situation. we cannot change gears without clutch isn't it. so wheels wont rotate.

Lets take service cost as 2500 for every 3 months so like that if we calculate for 1 year then 2500 * 4 = Rs.10000 minimum (excluding parts change price). service is like maintaining a VW or Skoda car but less reliable .

I gradually understood that this bike does not suite me and when I saw classic 350 in every nook and corner like how bajaj pulsar series (especially 150) was in old times (every 6 bikes out 10 will be a pulsar, same is the case now with classic 350 ), I sold the bike in 2021 as the bike was not in use but was servicing it every 3 months and wasting money.

I then bought a Pulsar AS200 from my friend and living happily
DustyWanderer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 11:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, that's the idea. I wonder if you can compare how the Classic behaves in terms of torque delivery with the old CI Bullet 500? I hear that was a proper torque monster.
Mate I believe its too early for someone to share their long-term experience on a RE CL 350 (Reborn), for the UCE CL350 you can search the existing threads here on TeamBHP and read the ownership experiences.

As far as the CI 500 is concerned the torque generated by that motor was raw and like punch in the guts. The AVL LB500 bettered it further carried forward by the UCE 500. Sadly, RE has now stopped producing 500 singles. I always say this, "Once you ride the 500, there is no going back to a 350."

Having owned RE's from almost all the era's except the 40's, all I can say is RE has come a long way from the days of CI to AVL to UCE to the new J series platform.

My suggestion to you would be to rent the new CL350 (Reborn) as well as the Honda CB350 for a day and check the performance. If you are kind of relaxed rider who like to take in the scenery while going on a ride and want to do it in comfort then either of these motorcycles wont disappoint you. The CL350 (Reborn) can take on rough roads but it is primarily meant for the tarmac. Regarding the weight, I have noticed this with all RE's, that the weight disappears once the motorcycle sets in motion. However, one might feel the weight while parking, taking slow turns around steep inclines, declines, etc. For two up riding the CL 350 (Reborn) looks like a good choice compared to the Hunter 350. You can also check out the Meteor 350 as it is a good option for what it offers.

Also remember if you are going to use CL 350 (Reborn) for extensive two up touring with luggage then it might have less juice compared to the Himalayan/Scram.

P.S. Having owned numerous RE's I have noticed that periodic maintenance coupled with preventive maintenance keeps the motorcycles trouble free.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 28th February 2023 at 11:35.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 12:48   #12
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hi, I share my points which is absolutely my point of views.

I have ridden many bikes in the 150 CC category prior owning RE Classic 350. Most of them owned by myself and my brother. HH Passion, CBZ Extreme, Hunk, Apache RTR, Yamaha FZ 16, Karizma.

When I got relocated to Bangalore, I wanted a bigger bike with good pillion comfort. Hence I chose to buy RE classic 350 - Gun metal grey. Bike is much heavier than my other bikes used before(Obviously). I found it bit difficult at the beginning. I am 5'8 with 75kg weight. But once I started using it, I felt much comfortable. Pillion found it comfortable as well but not for too long.

I have taken it for multiple long drives. Sometimes I found it hard maintaining the same 80 to 95 kmph even in empty roads. I sometimes lose my patience. I want to save the time when I find the empty roads. But vibration is bit higher post 100kmph. For my weight the bike was not suitable is what I felt. RE needs to be taken extra care all the time while riding. It needs to ridden with much patience and in a gentle way. For city use it was ok. For highways I did not find it comfortable for myself.

I used it for almost 2 years. Once I relocated back to Chennai, I wanted to change the bike badly. First reason in due to KA registration which I did not want to use in TN. Secondly I reside close to sea. Most of the parts in RE started getting rusted shade. Hence I sold it and bought a Yamaha R3 abs which I find it much suitable for my style of riding.

If you are a guy with a good patience level and maintain it well and dont expect a adrenaline rush type of rider, then yes RE is the right one for you.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
SSB
shiv4747 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2023, 23:57   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all, I am looking to hear from people who’ve been using the RE Classic 350 since at least the last year.

Thanks!
I have owned and ridden multiple bullets in my family including the CI ones. I myself am currently using one UCE 350. Bullet lovers here are going to hate me for this but trust me when I say it. Unless you are someone young energetic with lots of time donot buy it. Its a very poorly engineered vehicle. Its photogenic and has huge cult following and that about it. Believe me I have owned many of these cult vehicles. There is a pattern in all cult vehicles/brands which eventualy translates to somehow to be brainwashed to be proud of its shortcomings. e.g. "Bullet doesn't leak, it marks its territory" kind of nonsense. The niggles happenig in bullets are mostly beyond the expertise of its technicians in authorised workshops. Infact they wont even have spares most of the time. RE bikes have their own quirks and on many occasions have left me(and some times my friends too) in really embarassing situations. I can go on and on about its design and engineering defects.
Year on year the maintenance becomes a headache and the bike becomes more unreliable. Everytime it comes from the workshop you would find one new issue. If you see how some of its components are designed you will laugh at it. Many times sourcing its 14AH battery too becomes difficult and it costs as much as a car battery lasting half as much duration. Unless you find a expert mechanic near your house(every RE owner has one on his fast dial) and plan to spend weekends with him you would be better off spending your money on one of those 250-350 cc Japs, sleep peacefully at day end and save your time for more productive activities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv4747 View Post
I have taken it for multiple long drives. I sometimes lose my patience. I want to save the time when I find the empty roads. But vibration is bit higher post 100kmph. For my weight the bike was not suitable is what I felt. RE needs to be taken extra care all the time while riding. It needs to ridden with much patience and in a gentle way. For city use it was ok. For highways I did not find it comfortable for myself.

If you are a guy with a good patience level and maintain it well and dont expect a adrenaline rush type of rider, then yes RE is the right one for you.
I can vouch for every word of what shiv4747 has written.

Last edited by huntrz : 5th March 2023 at 00:06.
huntrz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 10:36   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid_W View Post
Although many members have beautifully answered your queries.
I like to add my piece, I have owned classic 350 from 2015. Most consider Royal Enfield (specially UCE) unreliable but mine has not shown any major issues, only regular service is done.
That's interesting. And, you've either maintained it well, or you're just lucky. But the good thing is that the J series seems to be a big step up when it comes to reliability and control over the vibrations.
Quote:
Regarding the weight of the bike, it can be a problem in incline when reversing (I'm 5'5) but other than that once you are habitual you can ride it in city easily.
Yeah, that's not surprising. Did you get into a fall under those conditions? I mean how bad is it? My sense is that it may not be so difficult to handle, but things get out of control fast if there is gravel, or the ground is slippery.
But I am imagine these are not situations that one will have to deal with regularly.
Of course, on the mountains things are different. Did you mostly face these issues while riding in the hills/mountains?
Quote:
Also due to torque of engine, it can still manage 80-90 km/hr with a pillion.But you have to understand its not fast as KTMs and will not be helpful above these speeds. You will have to work the engine, which is followed by vibrations (Talking for UCE don't know about J series).
That's not bad at all. That's all one needs to cover miles. I really don't want to be rushing myself with loads of luggage. The KTMs are fun bikes, but that was stuf I was doing in my teens on the RX100-true edge of the seats excitement Haha.
Quote:
Also regarding riding on gravel, one has to be careful due to weight at rear it can be slippery sometimes. Have met my fair share when I newly owned it.
Actually, this is a cause for concern for me. Many a times one needs to go off the main road where putting your feet down on gravel can be quite tricky.
Can you elaborate a bit? I thought the classic 350 is quite well-balanced. Are you saying it's weight is biased towards the rear?
Quote:
I have not installed tour seats but I regularly do 350+ km rides.(mix of city, highway and hills) With occasional breaks like after 75km (it is doable). So comfort wise its no problem. Moreover long rides also depends on ones physical fitness. Also gear ratios help certainly
Yeah, I think I'll have to see for myself how much of a difference the touring seat makes. It seems the standard seat is good, so this is probably a close call.
Also, I don't want to "waste" the standard seat by first paying for it, and then keeping it lying around, while I get the touring seat.
Quote:
I will recommend to find a good local mechanics once your warranty period is off. It will be more cheaper and you will be spared from Service center attitude. I generally order engine oil online and then go for servicing to make it cost effective. Also I find the parts are cheaper compared to other bikes in this price range. My bikes routine service takes about Rs 2000-2500.
You know, the local mechanics were the backbone of all the good experiences people have had with the REs. But then with all the increasing reliance on electronics they've been sidelined (completely?).
I suspect they are reduced to doing small things like oiling the bike, and general maintenance. But troubleshooting sensors etc. is not something they can do. So, how do you manage all that?
Also, which oil do you use? Do you go with the RE recommended grade, or do you adjust according to local weather conditions?
Quote:
Also if you decide to buy it, make sure to go to hills. Its torque is addictive.
Really glad to hear this from you! I am seriously considering the Honda 350. But I am not sure how I feel about the tall gearing. You'll be in trouble if you're doing up a mountain in the wrong gear.
I'd love to hear from you some experiences of how you use the RE gearing when you're in the mountains
e.g. do you find you can manage with 3rd instead of 2nd most of the time?
Quote:
P.S. don't change exhaust. Some are very loud plus irritating and also illegal.
I always loved the standard Bullet exhausts which made the classic thump. Anything longer was a dud, and I really disalike the louder exhausts.
The medium size exhaust on the classic looks nice, but the sound is a dampener. I do think, however, that that has more to do with the shortening of the stroke, rather than any changes to the muffler.
2wheelsvaga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 10:50   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyWanderer View Post
I owned 2014 Model Classic 350 Silver for 7 years. The service interval for 2014 model was every 3-4 months and service cost is around 2000 to 2500. I previously owned a Bajaj Pulsar 135 LS and I redlined that bike in every safe chance I get and even potholes were not an issue for that bike. Now coming from that bike to classic 350 was a very big change and initially I could not cope with this change, I tried to ride Classic 350 in the same way as my Pulsar and soon every parts started to get damaged. In initial 2 years I faced lot of tappet noise, changed clutch system 2 times (Rs.5000 *2), chain sprocket changed, battery failure (if kept idle for 2 weeks), clutch wire broke 2 times, in slopes front brake failure due to overheat, slightest pothole will make the bend the spoke wheel (tired of spoke wheel bent I bought alloy wheels , now alloy wheel did not get bent but the bearing inside the wheel broke ) etc... Then I changed from my youth riding to what my friends say , the uncle style riding and things change a bit better. No clutch changed as I changed gear only slowly , moved slowly, etc.

even after slow riding, in middle of heavy Bengaluru traffic that too during thunderstorm my bike's clutch wire broke 2 time and mechanic said its very common in bullet and always carry spare everywhere I go. Imagine you are stuck in redlight and every insane Bengalurians honking without understanding our situation. we cannot change gears without clutch isn't it. so wheels wont rotate.
I remember this clutch cable issue was always a bit of a problem. Or, so I heard. In all the years that I had the CI 350 I never once had a clutch issue. My sense is a lot of it had to do with maintenance. I changed the cables once they were starting to wear out.
But I'd like to hear others' experiences here. Do those using the Classic 350 for the last two years feel the clutch cable wears out too fast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntrz View Post
I have owned and ridden multiple bullets in my family including the CI ones. I myself am currently using one UCE 350. Bullet lovers here are going to hate me for this but trust me when I say it. Unless you are someone young energetic with lots of time donot buy it. Its a very poorly engineered vehicle. Its photogenic and has huge cult following and that about it. Believe me I have owned many of these cult vehicles. There is a pattern in all cult vehicles/brands which eventualy translates to somehow to be brainwashed to be proud of its shortcomings. e.g. "Bullet doesn't leak, it marks its territory" kind of nonsense. The niggles happenig in bullets are mostly beyond the expertise of its technicians in authorised workshops. Infact they wont even have spares most of the time. RE bikes have their own quirks and on many occasions have left me(and some times my friends too) in really embarassing situations. I can go on and on about its design and engineering defects.
That's partly why I am seriously considering the Honda 350. But that bike too seems to be constantly plagued with reliability issues. The dealer network is too thin, and I certainly woulnd't want to be stuck in the mountains with a broken bike.
In fact, that's why I put up this post. It does look like things have changed significantly with this J series engine.

Last edited by SDP : 5th March 2023 at 11:32. Reason: Merging back to back posts. Please use the multi-quote option rather than typing one post after another
2wheelsvaga is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks