Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2023, 15:26   #16

Re: Living the dream | 1 year with a Yamaha RD350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Why exactly is resleeve or reboring done?
Reboring is the process of boring out the cylinders of a worn engine and fitting oversize pistons.
It is done when the cylinder wall is damaged, either due to wear and tear or excessive use. There is a certain limit to the number of times reboring can be done. After that limit resleeving is done.It is the process of replacing or adding a cast iron sleeve in your block.

Do check out in YouTube, you can easily understand it after watching a video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
if i am not mistaken this bike is from a mutual friend, used to be green with US spec decals. Welcome to the club!!
Yes, it is the same green bike. I have seen it in your RD thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas_mirage View Post
I am on the lookout for one myself and since we are from the same region.
Sure brother, kindly PM me. I will help.
fajhar.faiz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2023, 17:19   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fajhar.faiz View Post

Yes, it is the same green bike. I have seen it in your RD thread.
I remember someone reaching out to me on Instagram to get the speedometer working, was that you?

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2023, 22:07   #18
BHPian

RD350 was way before my time and I never had the fortune of riding one. Have always drooled and watched countless videos, reminiscing my love for the bike and it's Oh so beautiful exhaust note.
Would love to own one when I have the sufficient know How of the 2 strokers or know somebody who has. And ofcourse have sufficient funds to afford and maintain one.
Till then my love for old school is being fulfilled by my Inty 650. But the space for a 2 stroker remains.
meetbhav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 09:03   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Who would have thought it? Nope, not even in my dreams. Never! Unexpectedly or destiny, what to term it? I don’t know yet. RD 350 – the ultimate dream bike of every motorhead
VIVA LA RD!
Congratulations on getting your dream bike, am Justin from Trivandrum, Here is my RD.

Sharing an Article on RD350 in reference to my bike Read it here : https://magazine.derivaz-ives.com/ra...om-yesteryear/
Attached Thumbnails
Living the dream | 1 year with a Yamaha RD350-4.jpg  

Living the dream | 1 year with a Yamaha RD350-5.jpg  

Living the dream | 1 year with a Yamaha RD350-3.jpg  

Living the dream | 1 year with a Yamaha RD350-2.jpg  

Living the dream | 1 year with a Yamaha RD350-1.jpg  

Last edited by justin.das : 30th March 2023 at 09:04.
justin.das is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 09:42   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Reboring is the process of boring out the cylinders of a worn engine and fitting oversize pistons.
It is done when the cylinder wall is damaged, either due to wear and tear or excessive use. There is a certain limit to the number of times reboring can be done. After that limit resleeving is done.It is the process of replacing or adding a cast iron sleeve in your block.

That's correct but that was not the only case with RD ! as per long-term owners, a decade ago getting spare parts for RD was really tough so whenever they wanted to get a re-bore done they used to bore to size to which piston was available, or in case if they get a lower size they will immediately sleeve the cylinder to a required size that's one of the reasons why unsleeved barrels are so rare and expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas_mirage View Post
Wow! that is a clean bike. What were the damages? I am on the lookout for one myself and since we are from the same region, it would be nice to have numbers. And there will be a lot of follow-up questions happening as we go on ahead.
Before you make a decision on purchasing an RD you must understand that most of the bikes which are available for sale are average in condition and high on asking price. You must learn and understand about these bikes in detail before you get one for yourself, for any help PM is happy to help and share what I learned from my experience

Quote:
if I am not mistaken this bike is from a mutual friend, used to be green with US spec decals. Welcome to the club!!
Pramod
I believe you are talking about the bike from the bakery junction, its still green this is not that bike

Quote:
With the risk of overstepping, I would like to tell you one thing, there is no RD 350 which is complete in all the sense, owners always plan to add something or the other, and can easily become an open money pit
Pramod
A perfect example of everything you mentioned is ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Why exactly is resleeve or reboring done? I usually hear these terms particularly with RD350s and sometimes with RXs. Any reason why only these bikes undergo such things? Is there an issue with these engines?
All the problems related to RD are because of either low-quality components or below par maintenance or because of bad workmanship . If the bike is properly built with quality components as per specs by an expert technician and properly taken care of then these bikes will last forever. There is a single-owner RD in TVM owned by a senior bhpian , he is the first owner of the bike still running on standard cylinders, factory paint, factory chrome second set of points. Touchwood
justin.das is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 09:50   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin.das View Post

I believe you are talking about the bike from the bakery junction, its still green this is not that bike
He himself has confirmed This was the bike that was posted in my RD thread.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 09:54   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Here is my RD.
One of the pictures of this bike has been the wallpaper on my work laptop for quite some time, it’s only now that I realized it belongs to you!

Living the dream | 1 year with a Yamaha RD350-cfe59775183a41ae9badcfdce379d902.jpeg
boniver is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 09:55   #23
BHPian

Quote:

Pramod
I don't know the owner in person but I recently saw the bike photos being shared still in green color with US Decals. Thanks for the correction bro : thumbs up
Old 30th March 2023, 09:59   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
One of the pictures of this bike has been the wallpaper on my work laptop for quite some time, it’s only now that I realized it belongs to you!

Attachment 2434960
Thank You, Very Happy to see the photo of my bike being loved . I can share better-quality images if you want. My bike is going for a proper rebuild soon the color will also change. A long list of changes is in the queue. Fingers Crossed

Last edited by justin.das : 30th March 2023 at 10:03.
justin.das is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 10:40   #25
BHPian

Quote:

Pramod
Bro the bikes we are talking about is 2 different bikes. I checked your RD thread the one I talked to you about is not this one.
Old 30th March 2023, 11:39   #26

Quote:
I remember someone reaching out to me on Instagram to get the speedometer working, was that you?
Yes it was me.

Quote:
There is a single-owner RD in TVM owned by a senior bhpian , he is the first owner of the bike still running on standard cylinders, factory paint, factory chrome second set of points.
Wow,Thats amazing. Would like to see few pictures of the bike.

Quote:
Sharing an Article on RD350 in reference to my bike Read it here : https://magazine.derivaz-ives.com/ra...om-yesteryear/
I have read this article before . Nice to meet you over here.
fajhar.faiz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 12:14   #27
BHPian

Quote:

Wow, That's amazing. Would like to see a few pictures of the bike.
I have some pictures of the bike but let me ask the owner before I post those here.

Quote:
I have read this article before D. Nice to meet you over here.
Thank you.Very happy to see the young generation is still interested in these classic bikes.

Read the story on CB350Twin Restoration Here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...0-1970s-3.html (Restoring a JDM Honda CB 350 from the 1970s)
justin.das is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 12:41   #28
BHPian

Thanks for sharing. Nice to see that you are having fun.

I've had the pleasure of owning 3 RD350 bikes over the years.

In the early 90's no one really liked them. I remember being the only idiot who rode to college on an RD350 - nice red bike with Rajdoot written on the tank.
theqca is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 13:57   #29
BHPian

Congrats Fajhar. RD look awesome in black.
Vmax1200 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 15:10   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Before you make a decision on purchasing an RD you must understand that most of the bikes which are available for sale are average in condition and high on asking price. You must learn and understand about these bikes in detail before you get one for yourself, for any help PM is happy to help and share what I learned from my experience
I completely understand that most of the bikes might not be in good shape even and a lot of time and effort will need to be spent to bring them back to glory. I wanted to get one and keep it more as a project bike and incrementally finish it step by step.

I had ridden one extensively during the early 2000's and unfortunately couldn't afford to buy it at that time. Hopefully, this time it gets better. Will be sending you PM's if you don't mind, Justin.

Quote:
Sure brother, kindly PM me. I will help.
Thanks Faiz, but it does seem like you have turned off the messaging option, so can't seem to send you a PM.
jas_mirage is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks