Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2023, 19:44   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Fast Single to a Smooth Twin | KTM Adventure 390 to Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishan12 View Post
As for me, I had 3 issues which got taken care of well by the ASS.

1. Fuel filler cap rubber seal was cut causing water to enter the tank, replaced in warranty
2. Speedo sensor on the front wheel went kaput, replaced in warranty.
3. Engine check and ABS light came up during a ride, RR unit was at fault, replaced in
extended warranty.

The only cons I can think of are,
- The bike is heavy and also seat is high, so taking it out of a tight parking sometimes is difficult, also you can not lift the bike from the rear and drag it out like we usually do with smaller/ lighter bikes
- Given the pillion foot rest position, it is not a comfortable place to be for a pillion on long rides
- The 18" tyre size options are extremely limited in the market. Though I am happy with the Ralco's on my bike with sealed tubeless spoke rims.
Inputs like these are exactly what I am looking for, to keep me informed or to drive me away, if it is a major deterrent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
This thread is about you trying to counter every argument against you getting the Interceptor. Clearly you want it and you can afford it, so what's stopping you ?
Yes, can afford it.
I really do like it.
And that twin, some day, will surely be with me. That is for sure.

The purpose of this thread is more to weigh up the pros & cons of both my options, and decide if now is the right time.
parrys is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 22:54   #32
BHPian

re: Fast Single to a Smooth Twin | KTM Adventure 390 to Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

I’ve desired the Inty since it’s launch day. But having bought the C350 just a few months before the Inty’s price announcement , had to wait till mid last year. I’d booked a BS6 Canyon Red one when I stumbled upon an incredibly well maintained BS4 Ravishing Red owned by a fellow TBHPian. A phone conversation later, cancelled my booking, sold my c350 and brought home the beauty. Over the last 6 or so months I’ve put ~3.5k kms on the bike, modded it quite a bit to suit my 5’7” 73kg frame. I’ve taken inspiration from Nasirkaka’s seat mod to make a custom seat, lowered the rear shocks using w2s kit, added adjustable levers and a prospec easy clutch. A few more mods planned. The thing is they keep the bike ‘new’ and ‘engaged’ for me, if those are the words to use here.

It’s not a perfect bike by any stretch but the thing is it can personalised quite affordably and can become damn near perfect for you. It’s also quite cheap to maintain by middleweight bike standards.
And then ofcourse when you ride it you’ll fall in love with it every single time.
GreyNomad is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 16:52   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
Curious to know why you like alloys so much? You probably know this already - spoked wheels are a lot lot more suitable for our country, and they are a lot more durable than a single piece cast alloy wheel. Spoked wheel can take all the beatings of a pothole, twist bend, and still hold shape, even when they are off spokes can be adjusted/replaced. On the other hand, you just have to replace alloys. When you are on a long ride, it would end the ride, if you cant find the part. Yes, its easier to clean alloys, looks are subjective. I really, really like spoked wheels. I have one on my GS, and it was a big selling factor for me.
Here in India, punctures are a zillion times more common than bent alloys...comprenez?
windiesel is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 22:26   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post
Here in India, punctures are a zillion times more common than bent alloys...comprenez?
Its a rubber tire, ADV bikes go every where, and punctures are super common- be it US, or Mexico or India. One could ride on Route 50 where there is one gas station in about a 112 mile stretch. Its not about how common it is, one puncture is enough to die in a lonely place . I am not a fan of tubes either. I am very happy with tubeless tires on spoked wheels.

You guys have a valid point if spoked wheels automatically mean tubes. I am hoping the new 390 will have tubeless option on a spoked wheel.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 23:17   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post
In 3 years, my 390 ADV got punctured only twice, that too when my factory fit Metzeler tyre was at its end of life.
I don't think it took me more than 30 minutes in total, to have fixed both punctures, on different occasions.

With the INT 650 when it got punctured, fixing one took almost an hour. And the repair guy was initially not even willing to deal with the bike.

But yeah, I guess this spoked vs. alloy wheel topic has been discussed enough on this thread.
Old 6th April 2023, 10:09   #36
BHPian

I don't own an Inty but I've done decent amount of research on it since it was one of the shortlisted bikes. As part of that ..

I rented the bike multiple times, rode solo, rode with a pillion, covered anywhere between 100km-400km in one single trip. Basically I tried to simulate my use case as much as possible. It helped me decide on the accessories/modifications (such as handlebar risers, foot-peg relocation kit for pillion rider, premium touring seat etc) I would need, to make riding experience more pleasant.

Then, I turned to T-BHP and Youtube. I read through all the 250+ pages of Inty/GT thread here in TBHP and watched a lot of "expert" reviews and ownership reviews on Youtube, finally (almost) all the ownership reviews on T-BHP. This helped me understand the vehicle (and in some cases, the reviewer) better, both its strengths, its limitations/drawbacks and way round them. I've made a list of such critical issues that would make the vehicle totally immovable and possible fixes/workarounds for the same if applicable, as below ...

Fuel Cap Gasket Tearing. (Still an issue as confirmed by a RE sales guy who is also an Inty owner)
Fix - Gasket from RoadPowerCustoms.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post5418338 (Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin)

Relay Failure.. causing vehicle not to crank up.
Fix - Replacement of the particular relay. Workaround is to use the accessory relay.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post5228149 (Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin)
https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/r...#post-43504243

RR Unit Failure causing battery to die down. (May not be an issue anymore)
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post4944631 (Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin)
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post4944874 (Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin)

Side stand sensor issue (bike switching off when shifted into gear even with side stand in fully retracted position)
Fix - Clean/replace the sensor. But as a workaround, this sensor could be bypassed. Got to confirm with RE service.

Fuel Pump Failure
No workaround. But not sure, if it is a universal issue or caused only with after-market air filters.

Then, there is the (in)famous wobbling which is a very complex issue with varieties of potential causes and appropriate fixes. I've also heard that, there are cases where no fix worked !

Conclusion ?? - Subjective, hence left to the individual !
pachchu77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 11:23   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachchu77 View Post
Fuel Cap Gasket Tearing. (Still an issue as confirmed by a RE sales guy who is also an Inty owner)

Relay Failure.. causing vehicle not to crank up.

RR Unit Failure causing battery to die down. (May not be an issue anymore)

Side stand sensor issue (bike switching off when shifted into gear even with side stand in fully retracted position)

Fuel Pump Failure

Then, there is the (in)famous wobbling which is a very complex issue with varieties of potential causes and appropriate fixes. I've also heard that, there are cases where no fix worked !
Thanks for sharing.

This fuel pump issue you mentioned, haven't heard about it much.
Could you elaborate?
So in stock setup, no problem?
Old 6th April 2023, 11:38   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
Thanks for sharing.

This fuel pump issue you mentioned, haven't heard about it much.
Could you elaborate?
So in stock setup, no problem?
That is not conclusive if it is because of the after market air filter. It may be just a coincidence too that it happened after replacing the air filter with an after market one.
Mine happened 2k kms after replacement and a fellow member who reported the same had it happen after he changed to an after market one as well. Not sure after how long. You can refer to the last page of my ownership thread for more details.

I don't think it was because of the filter change since there are YT videos of the pump failing on low run bikes as well. It can be on only BS6 bikes too. Anyway, the pump fails without any signs, so the only thing to do is maintain half tank fuel or more always.

Last edited by tharian : 6th April 2023 at 11:39.
tharian is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 13:45   #39
BHPian

Quote:

Why can't I make up my mind? I currently own the KTM 390 ADV, ridden it over 22,000 kms in 3 years, and I have faced no major issues. Mine is the first lot bike, so the initial software issues aside, my ownership & riding experience has been very rewarding.

The heart now wants the INT 650, but the mind says that the KTM is still good for a year or two more.

For your intended purposes, apart from the looks, you already own the superior motorcycle. RE have sorted a few minor niggles here and there yes. But the two major problems with the interceptor is the suspension and the weight. It's wobbly at high speeds to say the least. Tank slappers are very common. Then there's rhe weight. The traffic manouverability is superior on the adv390. You will habe to put in after market seats if you have long distance aspirations. And then there's the KTM hallmark of always being fun when the roads stop being straight.

The only superiority on the interceptor is a refined (albeit sluggish) engine and the classic motorcycle looks.

That's not to say interceptor is a bad motorcycle or a bad purchase. It's just that, you have a better weapon in your hands right now and you might not like it just as much in the long run.
The_Medic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 13:55   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Medic View Post
That's not to say interceptor is a bad motorcycle or a bad purchase. It's just that, you have a better weapon in your hands right now and you might not like it just as much in the long run.
Exactly what most of my ride friends have been telling me.
And I totally agree to this.

Another reason though, for my switch, is that I am getting a really good price for my ADV, hence not feeling the pinch. And leaning towards a change.
Old 10th April 2023, 14:12   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Exactly what most of my ride friends have been telling me.
And I totally agree to this.

Another reason though, for my switch, is that I am getting a really good price for my ADV, hence not feeling the pinch. And leaning towards a change.

A well maintained KTM will fetch you decent price always. I don't think that should be a factor. If you have relationship dullness, why not spruce things up? Mod it up a bit. Different engine and fuel map. Superior tyres.
Suspension mods. Braking mods. All cost much cheaper than a switch to int650.
The_Medic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 17:10   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Medic View Post
A well maintained KTM will fetch you decent price always. I don't think that should be a factor. If you have relationship dullness, why not spruce things up? Mod it up a bit. Different engine and fuel map. Superior tyres.
Suspension mods. Braking mods. All cost much cheaper than a switch to int650.
On my motorcycle, the 390 ADV, I have fit the following:
1. Carbon Racing saddle stay
2. Red Rooster Exhaust
3. Mad Dog Alpha aux lights
4. Maxxis Maxxplore tyres (recently)

I don't think I am inclined towards any further modification.
Old 10th April 2023, 17:14   #43
BHPian

Quote:
On my motorcycle, the 390 ADV, I have fit the following:
1. Carbon Racing saddle stay
2. Red Rooster Exhaust
3. Mad Dog Alpha aux lights
4. Maxxis Maxxplore tyres (recently)

I don't think I am inclined towards any further modification.
It's upto you but you are missing out on a lot of the good stuff.
Anyway, good luck for your choice. Hope you stay happy with whatever you choose. Cheers!
The_Medic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 21:45   #44

Hi Parrys,

I have a 2019 Int 650 from the very first batch and it crossed 4 years last month. Leaving 2 COVID years it has 16K on Odo
I have maintained the bike in stock condition and serviced it in prescribed intervals from RE service center.

It is a beautiful machine to live with and enjoy. Absolutely unstressed engine and steady highway rides...is pure joy(the weight is a boon on fast roads) It has never let me down on roads and have had no mechanical issues till date.

Waiting for the OEM alloys to be available for existing owners that I can swap the spoke wheels. My Pirellis are still good, so tyre shouldn't be an issue. But agree that alloys are absolutely necessary unless one is a hardcore off roader.

You can let me know if you want any specific details on this, i should be able to help.
sanjoyraju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 23:50   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoyraju View Post
It has never let me down on roads and have had no mechanical issues till date.
That's great to hear, and exactly what I also expect from anything in my garage.

From what I heard from the dealer, the alloys as an option for existing owners or for new bikes in different colours is still some time away.
parrys is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks