Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2023, 05:47   #61
BHPian

Re: Light Vs Heavier motorcycles for mountain touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelsvaga View Post
Yeah, I am pretty sure I don't want a cruiser style bike. Besides, I am not a fan of the style Meteor.
I am mostly debating between the Classic 350 (or even better the soon to be launched Std 350 J series) and the Honda CB 350.
I have to say though that I am recently toying with the idea of getting a KTM 390 adv. But then I don't know if it'll be able to manage a pillion with two panniers.
As per you, cruiser style doesn't suit you, so Meteor is out.
Comparing Classic 350 and Honda Highness 350, you won't find much difference in power except that CB350 makes a little more torque (about 3Nm). But it is almost 14-15 kgs lighter than the classic 350 and has a more refined engine than the RE.
Despite all these advantages, what makes the Classic 350 more popular are two simple points. One the gearing: you can keep chugging at second and third gear whole day in the hills, an advantage which is lacking in Honda CB350 where you have to frequently change gears. Second advantage of Classic 350 is the widespread service network and availability of spares. CB350 being sold only by the Honda Bigwing is a major handicap as of now.
Coming to the KTM 390, it is not everyone's cup of tea, mainly for two things: seat height and inherent nature of the engine. The seat height will keep an average rider tip-toeing and the engine which is a gem when kept revving will always keep you engaged to avoid stalling. In your case, add a third point: pillion discomfort, especially in mounting/ dismounting and uncomfortable pillion seat on long tours. Take a long test ride on a proper hilly terrain with pillion and luggage. You will realise how easily discomfort sets in for both rider and pillion.
Having said that, i would recommend take a test drive of all three. It's not only performance, but also after sales service that matters a lot. Consider these factors also and take a call.
Whatever you buy, you will adapt to it and start loving it after some time...
Old 22nd June 2023, 12:25   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator1101 View Post
Comparing Classic 350 and Honda Highness 350, you won't find much difference in power except that CB350 makes a little more torque (about 3Nm).
Of course, but then I this may be more a difference of paper, and may not translate to much in terms of day-to-day performance, especially in the lower gears.
Quote:
But it is almost 14-15 kgs lighter than the classic 350 and has a more refined engine than the RE.
Yeah, the overweight nature of the RE bikes exasperates me no end. I've not got any satisfactory answer as to why the weight should have gone up so much over the years. The CI Bullet 350 used to be 167 kg only, and it was quite a nice weight which made for a heavy but manageable bike.
I really hope they manage to bring the upcoming Himalayan down to at least 180 kg.
Quote:
Despite all these advantages, what makes the Classic 350 more popular are two simple points. One the gearing: you can keep chugging at second and third gear whole day in the hills, an advantage which is lacking in Honda CB350 where you have to frequently change gears.
This is interesting, and makes quite a difference as far as I am concerned. When you talk about mostly relying on 2nd and 3rd gears, do you have in mind a bike with only the rider, or would it still apply on a full load (rider, pillion, 25 kgs luggage)?
Quote:
Second advantage of Classic 350 is the widespread service network and availability of spares. CB350 being sold only by the Honda Bigwing is a major handicap as of now.
You said it. All this talk of fancy high-tech motorcycles notwithstanding, this seems to me to be the clincher when it comes to touring. All kinds of mechanical or other issues come up, and it's important to not be left stranded.
A friend told me about someone's experience with a broken battery on the Honda. They could eventually find a replacement which was ordered from Chandigarh, but wasted more than a day or so. The standard RE battery was readily available, and almost everywhere. For me that's a big deal, though others may not find it to be a big issue.
Quote:
Coming to the KTM 390, it is not everyone's cup of tea, mainly for two things: seat height and inherent nature of the engine. The seat height will keep an average rider tip-toeing and the engine which is a gem when kept revving will always keep you engaged to avoid stalling.
Exactly. I am tall so there aren't any issues there. But then there are numerous occasions where one finds oneself suddenly needing to use ones feet.
Clearly, the KTM is a great bike, but I always find myself reaching for the epithet "frenetic" when I hear or read its qualities being described.
Of course, many riders want that, but that's not why I would want to ride in the hills on a motorcycle.
Quote:
In your case, add a third point: pillion discomfort, especially in mounting/ dismounting and uncomfortable pillion seat on long tours. Take a long test ride on a proper hilly terrain with pillion and luggage. You will realise how easily discomfort sets in for both rider and pillion.
Thanks for pointing this out. This has been at the back of my mind. In fact, given limited test ride options, this is pretty useful to know, and I am generally inclined towards staying away from KTMs for reasons of seat comfort.

Last edited by 2wheelsvaga : 22nd June 2023 at 12:26.
Old 22nd June 2023, 13:03   #63
BHPian

Posting just to clear thoughts on the KTM 390 Adv, I own a Std CI Bullet, and rode the Adv in Spiti in any sort of road you can imagine. Mud, steep inclines, rocks, gravels, tarmac and water crossings. Most of the hairpins were taken in 2nd gear except graveled/muddy roads which I used 1st gear for safety reasons and my skill level alone. So let me iterate my observations:
Pros:
1. Bike never stalled throughout 1300 kms - be at the right gear at right time.
2. No feeling of being under torqued - again as number 1
3. Can start the bike in steep incline with a bit of clutch-slipping (just only for 1/2 second to get to right RPM)
4. There were some other KTM users who had pillions and were riding way faster than me.
5. Gear shifting was not at all bad, and no retries needed to shift.
6. Extremely stable vehicle when moving through rough patches/water crossings.

Cons:
1. Seat height - it is not at all an issue in tarmac/smooth roads, but In offroad scenarios you may find a bit discomfort (I have taken parking falls in uneven terrain due to this)
2. Heavy crosswinds - if you face this, bike will move transversely, but you can manage that easily.
3. Saddling - I couldn't find the handlebar at right position for saddling, but you can fix it using risers.

No one complained of any of the popular views of not having torque, almost all were impressed by the bike. Keep the bike at 3.5-4k rev range (which is not at all difficult to do) and it is one of the best machines for the Himalayan Job.

I come from the CI, and even I could adjust to the riding style. It's no brainer, highway or mountain or off road KTM 390 Adv is an excellent bike.
masterChief007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2023, 09:59   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterChief007 View Post
Posting just to clear thoughts on the KTM 390 Adv, I own a Std CI Bullet, and rode the Adv in Spiti in any sort of road you can imagine. Mud, steep inclines, rocks, gravels, tarmac and water crossings. Most of the hairpins were taken in 2nd gear except graveled/muddy roads which I used 1st gear for safety reasons and my skill level alone. So let me iterate my observations:
Pros:
1. Bike never stalled throughout 1300 kms - be at the right gear at right time.
2. No feeling of being under torqued - again as number 1
3. Can start the bike in steep incline with a bit of clutch-slipping (just only for 1/2 second to get to right RPM)
4. There were some other KTM users who had pillions and were riding way faster than me.
5. Gear shifting was not at all bad, and no retries needed to shift.
6. Extremely stable vehicle when moving through rough patches/water crossings.

Cons:
1. Seat height - it is not at all an issue in tarmac/smooth roads, but In offroad scenarios you may find a bit discomfort (I have taken parking falls in uneven terrain due to this)
2. Heavy crosswinds - if you face this, bike will move transversely, but you can manage that easily.
3. Saddling - I couldn't find the handlebar at right position for saddling, but you can fix it using risers.

No one complained of any of the popular views of not having torque, almost all were impressed by the bike. Keep the bike at 3.5-4k rev range (which is not at all difficult to do) and it is one of the best machines for the Himalayan Job.

I come from the CI, and even I could adjust to the riding style. It's no brainer, highway or mountain or off road KTM 390 Adv is an excellent bike.
Thanks, that's a balanced reply.
Can you compare your experience riding the CI with this? Obviously, the old bike will feel underpowered but did you, for instance, find its seating position and rider traingle more comfortable?
I always get the sense that the KTMs are all about speed, and don't like to be ridden slower. For instance, you say that one needs to be in the right gear. Why do I get the sense that the RE (even the CI) will get out of your way and make your forget there's a machine in constant need of attention under you? The KTM on the other hand will force you to pay attention and of course reward you with the frenetic pace.
Btw, did you ride with a pillion and full luggage, or was it only the rider's weight on the KTM?
Thanks!
Old 23rd June 2023, 10:19   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelsvaga View Post
RE (even the CI) will get out of your way and make your forget there's a machine in constant need of attention under you? The KTM on the other hand will force you to pay attention and of course reward you with the frenetic pace.
Btw, did you ride with a pillion and full luggage, or was it only the rider's weight on the KTM?
Thanks!
No I would rate ride comfort in KTM much superior to the CI, including the riders triangle. Also the CI thing is that in 2nd gear ci can start the bike from stand still which KTM will need very bad clutch slipping to do. Apart from that comfort etc is way better in KTM. I rode solo, no luggage. But others with pillions too didn't complain but we're going gaga over the capabilities. I guess don't read too much reviews now, I too was suspecting many things by reading internet articles and reviews, go and try it yourself. Experiencing the vehicles urself has no second. All points are covered now, ride a few bikes and let us know in the comments

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks