Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2023, 22:20   #16
BHPian

Re: What Motorcycles are BHPians looking forward to this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Only after a lot of riding and tasting motorcycles from each and every genre' can you get a insight into what suits you best. It depends upon your age, your height (frame size), your weight, your budget and most of all your level of reflexes and clarity of mind. Learning to adapt is a continuous process. Only when you LIVE with a bike for a few months, do you realise if that was the correct choice for you or not.
Agree completely sir, and honestly, I think I could just get used to practically any bike on the list that is currently out, and I'd just forget about it and get the Scram, simply because the heart wants what it wants. But you know how it is, I'm just 28, and I'd hate to take a hasty decision for something that I could easily keep for around a decade. This is going to be my first, and perhaps only, spend on a toy that I don't need but desperately want, so I'm just going to do as you suggest to be sure of my decision.

Last edited by AulusGabinius : 25th April 2023 at 22:23. Reason: Forgot to add more
AulusGabinius is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 22:22   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank270 View Post
I am pretty much in the same boat. Going to try out ADV 390 and the new Interceptor 650 next week to take a call. I initially had V Strom 650 in my radar but had to drop due to the price as I am not looking for finding a good preowned one in my city.
Agreed, doing basically the same thing. Not going for the Inty as the seat is probably too small.
Old 25th April 2023, 22:38   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AulusGabinius View Post
KTM Adv 390: Currently IMO the daddy of the entry level ADV segment. Need I say more? Yet to try it though.
I feel out of the ones you have shortlisted the KTM 390 Adventure will suit you best! It’s a tall bike, more than enough power and safety aids. I would advice the full blown bike though not the new X model being launched right now.

All of the other bikes you have mentioned will be a pain to ride in some way or the other with your height and weight and even more so with a pillion. Take a test ride, I feel you won’t be disappointed.

If you do not want to go for either the Versys 650 or the V Strom 650 then this is your best bet.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2023, 00:39   #19
BHPian

I would personally not go for either one of the first iterations of the 450 or the Impulse 400. These are brands that are testing out new tech and testing in India is always including the first year of production bikes. Remember the Himalayan BS3 issues? the 2020 BS6 versions onwards have been largely troublefree and the best to own till date, though a smattering of BS3/4 owners have good reports to say apart from the lousy RE service.
I suggest go for the 390 Adventure or the VStrom 650. I am looking for an upgrade after a year as my brother/father and I together 190 kg cannot slug it out on my Himalayan for more than 100 km at best thanks to the meagre 24 hp from a 411 mill. The seats are too small and are best for thin riders. My 45 kg friend finds it a sofa, whereas my 90 kg brother considers it a punishment. The suspension though not as good as the himalayan, you will have to adjust the preload accordingly every time you take a pillion as the 390 can be bone jarring at times. Also its low seat height may end up cramping your knees.
100Kmphormore is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2023, 07:07   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Kmphormore View Post
I would personally not go for either one of the first iterations of the 450 or the Impulse 400. These are brands that are testing out new tech and testing in India is always including the first year of production bikes. Remember the Himalayan BS3 issues? the 2020 BS6 versions onwards have been largely troublefree and the best to own till date, though a smattering of BS3/4 owners have good reports to say apart from the lousy RE service.
The first year issues of the BS3 Himalayan had me worried too, but since then RE seems to have broadly sorted it out. The 650 twins launches didn't have any issues that I know of, and neither does the Super Meteor. The Himalayan's seat was actually pretty comfortable for me for about the 200 km, stock seat and no numb butt or anything, and nearly the straight-leg posture I want. And I definitely won't be doing any long-distance touring, two up with 250 kg is infrequent city riding. That said, the KTM Adv 390 does look really good to me. Then again, I'm coming from a huge pro-RE bias and I can deal with the annoying service as long as I love the bike. Here in Pune there are about 5 RE dealers in around my home and workplace, and three KTM ones, so I guess I've got a lot of choice there.
Old 26th April 2023, 08:02   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AulusGabinius View Post
The 650 twins launches didn't have any issues that I know of, and neither does the Super Meteor. The Himalayan's seat was actually pretty comfortable for me for about the 200 km, stock seat and no numb butt or anything, and nearly the straight-leg posture I want. And I definitely won't be doing any long-distance touring, two up with 250 kg is infrequent city riding.
There will be a Himalayan sort of format bike with the 650cc engine which is largely a touring biased offering. That might also be a good combination of a powerful reliable engine with a comfortable set up, even for in city riding. Since its touring bias it’ll likely have the convenience of tubeless alloys too. If I was opting for RE’s 650 engine, this would be the most preferred format from a comfort perspective for one / two large riders.

The only issue is its still some distance away if I’m not mistaken. From a 2023 launch perspective, their focus is the 450 Himalayan. I think you can search for some power drift / zig wheels YouTube video (can’t recall off hand) which had covered all expected RE launches with some tentative timelines.

Last edited by Axe77 : 26th April 2023 at 08:05.
Axe77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2023, 08:08   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
The only issue is its still some distance away if I’m not mistaken. From a 2023 launch perspective, their focus is the 450 Himalayan. I think you can search for some power drift / zig wheels YouTube video (can’t recall off hand) which had covered all expected RE launches with some tentative timelines.
Yes, I did see that article and video. So far RE has two trademarks outstanding aside from the Himalayan, which are Shotgun and Sherpa. The Sherpa might be the 650 touring sort of bike.
Old 26th April 2023, 12:47   #23
BHPian

Quote:
There will be a Himalayan sort of format bike with the 650cc engine which is largely a touring biased offering
Might be the Sherpa as Aulus said, I am expecting a 2024 launch. The heating though will be an issue if they decide to build a 411 style long stroke 650 engine for the Himmy 650. The current 650 twins are best for occasional expressway and a fast city bike.

Quote:
The Himalayan's seat was actually pretty comfortable for me for about the 200 km, stock seat and no numb butt or anything
PLease check and confirm the seat again, your experience is consistent with the RE Touring/AoM touring seats. I find it painful even in 40 minute riding commutes inspite of getting it modified, keep shifting around in the seat often. Riding pants hide that away on touring. Almost all heavily built riders south of the 90 kg mark report that the seat will compress extremely easily in around 30 mins and if keeping 100 kmph+, the vibrations get to the seat too.
100Kmphormore is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2023, 15:38   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Kmphormore View Post
PLease check and confirm the seat again, your experience is consistent with the RE Touring/AoM touring seats. I find it painful even in 40 minute riding commutes inspite of getting it modified, keep shifting around in the seat often. Riding pants hide that away on touring. Almost all heavily built riders south of the 90 kg mark report that the seat will compress extremely easily in around 30 mins and if keeping 100 kmph+, the vibrations get to the seat too.
It was the touring seat, yes, which I will be taking for sure. I never really did touch even a hundred, it ran out of steam after 90. Also, I did a fair bit of standing on the bike on some patches, but definitely no numbness. My pillion though gave up after an hour.
Old 27th April 2023, 14:03   #25
BHPian

The Himalayan 450 has been spotted again!

What Motorcycles are BHPians looking forward to this year?-capture.png

Looking too disguised, I'd expect a Diwali launch at the latest. With the Super Meteor they did this a couple of months before Rider Mania.

Original news from Gaadiwaadi. Link here:

https://gaadiwaadi.com/re-himalayan-...ser-to-launch/

Last edited by AulusGabinius : 27th April 2023 at 14:04. Reason: Link to be added
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks