Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2023, 17:40   #16
BHPian

re: My Motorcycle phobia!

My sister-in-law is in the same vein. My suggestion is get something light, fast and easy to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
A two wheeler depends on balance, unlike a four wheeler. If you want to head that way, I would advice you to start small. Test ride some easy to ride motorcycles around 150-200ccs, to see whether you can handle the gear shifts and balance. If gear shifts are problematic, you can choose scooters, else motorcycles.
Agree with this. Start by trying small things like a Pulsar P150, an FZ 15, the FZ-X, Apache 160, something in that vein. Something smaller would probably go to a Duke 125, a Pulsar 125 or a Honda Hornet on the larger side. Take it slow, and take your time. Avoid anything heavier than 150 kgs and you should do just fine. Good luck and good riding!
Old 25th April 2023, 18:45   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyeshkolte View Post
however, due to some nasty experiences in my adolescent years, a kind of phobia I developed for 2 wheelers.

Because of this, I kept myself away from these magnificent machines for quite a lot of years.
You aren't alone:

1. 45% of BHPians consider riding to be "high risk", while another ~50% consider riding in India to be "medium risk". Only 6.47% of enthusiasts think that motorcycling is "low risk" - link to poll & discussion (Motorcyclists & Scooterists of Team-BHP | What is your risk perception of riding in India?).

2. I L-O-V-E motorcycles and I love to ride. However, our roads are terrible, there is no traffic sense and one idiot driving a rickshaw on the wrong side or taking a u-turn in the middle of nowhere is enough to send you to the ICU for 6 months (or your grave). I love my life too much to leave it in the hands of ill-trained drivers or poor infrastructure.

3. If you have a phobia, so be it. Have more fun in cars. As much I love motorcycles, I don't miss riding at all, because I'm having way too much fun with cars.

4. And those times that I really need a fix, I go for a short ride on borrowed motorcycles.

Am not a rider by choice & have absolutely no regrets.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 19:07   #18
Senior - BHPian

@ priyeshkolte

I would suggest by taking baby steps.

If you're set on riding two wheelers and feel it help you emotionally or personally go for it.

Step 1 - Follow the rules, including having a valid license/papers at all times. Law enforcement see two wheelers and four wheelers very differently, you will notice this soon enough with the casual traffic policeman gesture to park on the side and show the documents.

Step 2 - Stay safe and always have the appropriate riding gear. Starting with a good quality helmet.

Step 3 - Start small. I would suggest a small automatic scooter at first. They do not cost the earth and you do not loose a lot to depreciation if two wheelers do not catch your fancy anymore after a year. Or even better buy a good second hand scooter. These are very easy to ride and a hoot inside the city. Once you develop your confidence, take the next step onto something bigger.

Happy riding.
shortbread is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2023, 14:26   #19
BHPian

Re: My Motorcycle phobia!

My man, you are a grown adult fully capable of making this decision. You know the risks before you posted here and no one can tell you how (or even if) rewarding it will be.

If you feel this is an itch you need to scratch, please get a motorcycle which makes you want to ride it. We left being practical miles back when we started thinking of riding a bike, right? Fear will keep you in line and safe. If you really manage to make a hobby out of this, then sheer skill will replace the fear.

Also, I know that the probability game is tilted against motorcyclists when it comes to riding on our roads, but ask yourself, if driving a car is what will get you out of this slump.
Vikram8891 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 11:33   #20

Re: My Motorcycle phobia!

I was never a motorbike person, nor will I be one in the future (atleast for the most part).

However, when all my friends planned a bike trip last weekend and invited me, I was excited for the challenge because:

1) The only time I had "ridden" a bike was near my college for 5 minutes.
2) I had to figure out renting a bike.

Long story short, I picked up a rental Yamaha R15, rode it through peak pune traffic and went ahead for a ~130km ride the next day. I rode the bike with respect, and was analysing the roads/road users ahead extra carefully.

By the end of the day, I could confidently say that I can now ride a bike if I needed to!

I should let you know that I have been driving a car for a few years, so some common concepts used between a car and bike were already ingrained in me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks