Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2023, 09:34   #1
BANNED

My Motorcycle phobia!

Mod Note: Please post in the relevant subsection. Thanks.

Hello everyone!

I live in Thane and I am a huge fan of automobile engineering. However, due to some nasty experiences in my adolescent years, I developed a kind of phobia for 2-wheelers. Because of this, I kept myself away from these magnificent machines for quite a lot of years.

However, things are really stirring up after seeing Indian automakers making sweet parallel twin engines with a refinement that beats some of the best Japanese bikemakers.

In recent times, I have had a lot of personal issues both emotional and physical for which my counsellor suggested to do a few things which might reduce the stress and allow me to loosen up a bit.

I would like to get help from the community:
1. help me understand which kind of motorcycles I should consider? I a big fan of the extremely tractable motors which allow you to be relaxed and enjoy everything else around you except the ride.
2. Can anyone from Thane help me get rid of this phobia by giving me riding sessions for a few hours?

P.S.
Dear moderator, I think this post might not entirely comply with the policies, but considering that Team-BHP is the only auto-enthusiast site in India, I am writing this post as a last resort.

Last edited by Aditya : 25th April 2023 at 21:57. Reason: Punctuation, grammar, etc
priyeshkolte is offline   (10) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 24th April 2023, 19:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: My Motorcycle phobia!

Welcome to TBHP.

While I am nowhere near Thane so can't help you put directly but I can only suggest to try the Interceptor purely based on what you mentioned.

While the Interceptor is just a start, I would also suggest to wait for the Himalayan 450, XPulse 400 expected by end of this year.

What kind of bike ? Test ride all you can think of and get what connects with you the best. Once you have a shortlist and can't pick one, come back to us, you're always welcome

Would also suggest to check out the MotorInc channel and linking a video here which you might find interesting, ignore if you don't.

Credits to Providers :

You're on a good heading, good luck and welcome back to motorcycling

Last edited by shancz : 24th April 2023 at 19:51. Reason: add cnt
shancz is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th April 2023, 20:29   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyeshkolte View Post

In recent times I had a lot of personal life issues both emotional and physical.
This is sort of a red flag, sorry but I need to air caution here. Motorcycling needs 100% of emotional and 100% physical balance. When riding you must not let any emotions other than those which you are feeling related to the riding, also you need to be in decent fitness to not get irritated due to some pain or the other.

In case you are going through some tough situation in life, both emotionally and physically then please make sure they don't be the pillion on your rides. Its very easy to twist the throttle along with some negative thoughts.

Ok ... now that I am done lecturing, start with a relaxed tourer for now which is hassle free (Honda highness ?), wake up early in the morning 5.00 am and make rounds near your house, once you start making some miles your phobia will also vanish. Maybe catch up with fellow BHPians in your city for some breakfast rides?
masterChief007 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 24th April 2023, 20:55   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Driving a bike of our choice gives us a sense of freedom no other vehicle can. It's the next best thing to horse riding, where the rider is fully involved using his skills to the hilt with the horse also responding and at the same time both having the best of fun out of it.

Neither a car nor a scooter comes close to whatever connect the biker has with his machine. A bike can be the manifestation of the biker's personality.A performance bike with a heart and soul can be chosen by the biker depending on his choice and budget, from among the ones available.

I am not able to suggest you any brand or model as you've not mentioned your choices or budget. Commuter bikes are routine doers of jobs for transport from place A to place B. Please select from among the performance bikes. Most of these connect with the rider and the rider soon realises that they are made for each other.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 24th April 2023 at 20:58.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th April 2023, 20:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

The best way to overcome a fear is to have a cup of coffee with the fear; in that aspect, yes, your ride to overcome your fear of riding, which is right in a way.

However, the foundational prerequisite to ride a motorcycle {or a scooter} requires immense concentration in the mind & good fitness in the body. If you have a phobia, then that's a trouble hindering you from riding right at the mind, which, in my humble opinion, has to be addressed first before anything else.

Since we don't know & not morally, ethically & obligated knowing your personal life issues, I think they've to be taken care second. And this should automatically take care of your stress & loosen more than you can think {just remember, <50 lives a billionaire & he has stress too }, hence RIDING is not the ONLY solution for bursting stress, there're other options, especially when there's a phobia around it.
aargee is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th April 2023, 21:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

A two wheeler depends on balance, unlike a four wheeler. If you want to head that way, I would advice you to start small. Test ride some easy to ride motorcycles around 150-200ccs, to see whether you can handle the gear shifts and balance. If gear shifts are problematic, you can choose scooters, else motorcycles.

There must be some motorcycle rental services available in Thane or nearby. Try a few before committing to a single motorcycle. All great motorcycles you may be considering have flows, too hard clutch, too heavy, too costly to maintain and whatnot. So before you commit to one of these, rent a few.

Lastly, motorcycle riding is truly a relaxing and freeing activity, but only on open roads. In city traffic, you will soon rue the constant clutch press and gear shifts, and long for the comfort of car AC. At least in case of a scooter, your riding in traffic will be bearable.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 02:39   #7
Senior - BHPian

I would say first thing to get over your phobia of riding is to ride a bike with solid componentry by which I mean a good stable chassis which offers progressive feel. The only made in India bikes I can think of with these requisite ingredients are the Yamaha R15 and MT15, and the KTMs/Husqvarnas. They simply feel a lot better to ride than other bikes in their class and that may make you less afraid of riding them. That said, a phobia of riding is not a bad thing in India. Did you know that vehicle density has doubled in the last decade? That means more instances of vehicles darting out in front of you, not following lane discipline and putting your well being as well as theirs at risk than ever before. Plus doesn't mumbai have mostly concrete/cement roads? Because that would equate to less traction. Overall I'd say don't bother riding if you're already afraid of it instead why not travel to someplace you've always wanted to or something like that? It would be cheaper in the long run (maintaining a bike is not at all cheap) and safer

Last edited by IshaanIan : 25th April 2023 at 02:42.
Old 25th April 2023, 03:29   #8
BHPian

Quote:
2. Can anyone from Thane help me get this phobia removed by allowing me a few hours of riding sessions?
Fear is a strong emotion. We have an evolutionary basis for this, we need it for our well being. I am ~50 and I started riding when I was 16. A lot could have gone wrong when I figured out riding on public roads on my own, but I turned out lucky. Most people agree that it is an inherently risky activity. The one thing that would help immensely is rider training. The basic rider safety training to advanced riding clinics all help immensely.

I follow gurus like Bret Tkacs, and found that he held a clinic at Top Gun riding academy in Mumbai. While he may not be there for all followup training, getting the fundamentals reviewed in a controlled environment certainly helps. Ask around and see if they are offering anything that would help you.
https://www.bikewale.com/features/to...-review-34510/

After riding for 30+ years, I attended a adventure bike clinic by Dusty Wessels (who is featured often on Mototrek) and walked away with a million lessons that I can use regularly. Advanced training is where you can push, and hone your skills, so that you can always ride at less than 25% of your capability, and enjoy the activity.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 11:59   #9
BHPian

Im not a hardcore rider by any means, nor am i near thane. I did have a similar situation relating to bikes and a physical condition that makes riding a bike extremely risky for me.

Doctor's advice and whatnot reduced my confidence drastically.

I have been able to overcome that now. I would suggest one or two things. Get a small scooter. Not one of the geared bikes. Even if you know how to drive, your phobia will intervene and destroy your confidence even more.

So get a simple, off the factory scooter like the activa or fascino or even pep for that matter. Get it on rent from a friend if possible. Ride everyday when the traffic is negligible. Take the back roads and the main roads. Go fast, Go slow, be aggressive, be soft. Mix everything up to simulate a real condition. Once you have done this, the phobia should be gone.

Where there is confidence, the phobia has no place. Once you can get on the road without fear, all is good. You will fall, you will make mistakes, some will surely give you gaalis, dont worry. Stick an l sign and just drive.

Cheers.
Old 25th April 2023, 12:16   #10
Senior - BHPian

Offtopic note/suggestion to thread starter and moderators:

"Motorcycle phobia needs to be destroyed" is a misleading title since it may give an impression about general public's fear towards 2-wheelers (as also covered in some other thread where it was discussed why 2-wheelers are not allowed on Expressways).

A topic wording with better context would be: My Motorcycle phobia needs to be destroyed
alpha1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 12:37   #11
BHPian

Quote:
however, due to some nasty experiences in my adolescent years, a kind of phobia I developed for 2 wheelers.
Because of this, I kept myself away from these magnificent machines for quite a lot of years.
You do know how to balance yourself on a bicycle right?. There must be some driving schools near you that teach you motorcycle riding. That's a starting point.

All of us who ever had a motorcycle have had their falls and crashes. It's like swimming unless you jump into water you won't paddle. So take the jump.
srini1785 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 13:03   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mod Note: Please post in relevant subsection. Thanks.

2. Can anyone from Thane help me get this phobia removed by allowing me a

Riding can actually be like meditation however with your context, I would go against the recommendations of all here and would suggest you start with a new 100 cc motorcycle.

Reasons below
  • You will get a new vehicle experience, can start as low as 60K (what do you get for 60K at a Royal Enfield showroom, Alloy wheels and riding gear). A new bike, will create excitement and is overall a feel good factor. Dont worry about what other will think. Get a simple starter bike.
  • 100 cc vehicles are super light, will be very easy to handle and use. You will not be intimidated. Take it from me, a heavy bike, WILL INTIMIDATE a new rider.
  • Even a 100 cc motorcycle is pretty good to ride honestly.
  • If you start loving riding, you will know even with a 100 cc bike. Most bikers on TeamBHP started with humble 100cc splendors or passions or victors.
  • If you dont get on riding, you will be easily able to sell the 60K bike for 40k.

The highest I would suggest you to go is a 150 cc bike, anything above that and the adjustment will be difficult.

P.S. - I would have a Lakh KM on 2 wheelers, never owned anything above 150 CC.

Last edited by 2000rpm : 25th April 2023 at 13:06.
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 13:09   #13
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

May be my story will help.
I was in my mid 20s when I was visiting a close relative in another city. I had some work in the nearest town and my uncle came along with me graciously in his Rajdoot 175. Returning back it was late and road passed through a national highway. My uncle was finding it hard to ride and I had never rode a motorcycle till then. At one point I asked him to pull over. Told him -“Please explain me the gear system of Rajdoot.”
He told me how to put, only three gears but not easy for a new rider.
I took over the riding seat. Couple of times it stalled. Then I was off without any issues. I was cruising at 70 when my uncle tells me from behind - “This motorcycle does not go above 45kmph”
Since I knew he had a problem seeing clearly at night, I just said - “Okay uncle.”

This was my first time riding a motorcycle and I did it on a highway for 18 kms.

I believe that you can overcome phobia of riding a bike by making sure two things are taken care of -
1. Technique to ride a bike.
2. Road fear

Best of luck. Waiting for your post on long bike ride soon.
RunGaDa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 13:39   #14
Senior - BHPian

Are you sure you want to destroy the motorcycle Phobia ?

Why so ?

Let me tell you my story. Back in 2011, I was bitten by the two-wheeler bug. I was a car guy before this. But wanted to ride a two-wheeler for the "kicks" and the adrenaline rush that only riding a motorcycle can give.

Finally on purchasing and learning two-wheeler driving, I quite liked the sense of freedom and rush that biking gave.

But then, it was not very long before I realised that everything comes at a risk in life. And considering our city roads are filled with idiots driving cars they don't know how to handle, and the truckers and buses who give two hoots about human life on road, I realised that one can get into a serious accident riding, even if one himself is a good rider and follows all traffic rules, because once you are on the road as a two-wheeler, you are also on the mercy of the mad truckers, rowdy SUV owners, rash drivers who give two hoots about you as a two-wheeler.

With a car, even the most unsafe one without airbags, you have MUCH MUCH higher levels of safety than riding a bike.

Its ironical we talk so much about safety ratings of cars, but yet no one wants to talk about how unsafe two-wheelers are , specially in Indian cities. Not because the two-wheelers are inherently unsafe (they are actually), but because a two-wheeler can get hit by a bigger vehicle easily and the probablity of surviving even a simple fall without serious injury is very low.

Hence, I made up my mind, that I would be ready to drive the unsafest of vehicle on road, but would NEVER, EVER ride a motorbike, in this country atleast.

Now, i use my second (small) car as a beater car, its more like a bike for me, but atleast there is a safety net around me even if the GNCAP ratings are not much to talk about.
DCEite is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 16:07   #15
BHPian

FEAR is imagined. It is not real. You mind creates it. It lives in your mind (and not in the real world). The only way to overcome it is to face it head-on and once you do that it will cease to exist from your mind. There is no longer a reason for it to occupy your mind.

If you fear riding. Just ride. 100% of the time the consequence of reality wouldn't be what you imagined. Because fear is made in your mind.
kpkeerthi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks