Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2023, 14:52   #1
BHPian

My Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650 Ownership Review

For the past 11 years, the most powerful bike in my garage was the trusty Thunderbird Twinspark 350. This bike is easily one of the best touring motorcycles I've ever driven, and in over 50k kilometers and over travel to 9 states, this vehicle has climed every hill and cruised over every highway on its way with zero issues.

My Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650 Ownership Review-whatsapp-image-20230428-14.06.45.jpg

A photo of the Thunderbird, running as if it was brand new even after 11 years and 50k kilometers of cruising

But like every other auto enthusiasts, the need for a bigger and more faster motorcycle will always be there. Yes, the Thunderbird with its excellent low end torque can climb any hill, and decently cruise at 60 - 70 all day long. But yet, power is everything.

With this started the long and arduest effort of finding a new motorcycle. The first motorcycle considered was a Classic 500, in Stealth Black color. Yes, it is not a great improvement over the 350, but I still believe it is the best colorway RE has produced in its entire UCE Classic production. But it was discontinued pretty soon and out of the race.

The second bike, was the Interceptor. While it does have a gem of an engine, the ergonomics really killed the deal for this bike, with its annoying footpeg placement. There was also the entire wobbling issue, which scared a newbie rider like me from considering this bike. It still would love to get an Interceptor or a GT650 in Chrome one day, but for my current use, both bikes were not the best.

Now, coming to the Super Meteor 650. The day bookings were opened, I instantly logged in to MiY and booked a Astral Black Super Meteor 650, with basic accessories like crash guard and sump guard. An estimate of 2 months was given for delivery, and honestly that was exceeded by at least 2 weeks. After what essentially felt like an eternity, I finally managed to get hold of my bike.

The first impression when we get onto the bike is it's sheer weight. Moving it from the stand itself takes effort. Starting the bike leads to both exhasts providing a sweet sound, courtesy of the twin cylinder engine. It is slightly silent than my Thunderbird in lower speeds, but as the speed picks up, it becomes louder.

My Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650 Ownership Review-whatsapp-image-20230428-13.32.01.jpg

The bike when it first reached the dealership, pre PDI.

This bike, like every other, has pros and cons, and for me, the pros are good enough to totally negate the cons which this bike has

Pros -
  • The 650cc engine is extremely fast. The bike picks up speed quick, and there is just a negligible difference between this and the 650 Twins, despite this bike being heavier
  • The stability on this bike is excellent. The fat rear tyres, and the suspension ensures that the bike is stable, and able to pick up higher speed even post triple digit speeds
  • The seating for the rider is comfortable, and long rides can easily be done on it
  • The gearbox is once again, smooth and especially for someone used to the crude - ish UCE 350, this is like a night and day difference
  • The build quality on this bike is excellent. Compared to a UCE 350, with cheap plastics and constant rust issues, this bike is extremely well built. Well painted panels, metal parts mostly blacked out, the switchgear being absolutely premium just add up to a much better experience. Also the fact that the hardware on the bike, especially the suspension is mostly good (more on that in the cons section)

Cons -
  • The Weight. While Weight is a given for the Enfield, being its most infamous character, 240kg is too heavy for a motorcycle. The vehicle masks its weight well while riding, but pushing the bike is a total annoyance Trying to manuever the bike by pushing is a herculean task, especially while turning.
  • Turning Radius on this bike is bad. It's almost comparable to an SUV of sorts, where taking this bike to small lanes and by roads is extremely tough, due to its weight and small turning radius
  • Lack of Accessories - This is more of a temporary issue, caused due to RE not delivering basic accessories like the Sump Guard and Crash Guard, which I believe are essential for any bike to be had during delivery itself
  • Suspension - The suspension is well tuned for the highway, making it totally stable. But this is at the cost of slightly bumpy ride otherwise. Does not affect me much since roads I ride on are mostly good. Could be a dealbreaker for others though

My Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650 Ownership Review-whatsapp-image-20230428-14.13.51.jpg

The Super Meteor sitting along with the rest of its garagemates, the Thunderbird and what I believe is an MM540 Mahindra Jeep, which has been the default car of the garage now

My Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650 Ownership Review-whatsapp-image-20230428-14.20.12.jpg

The front view of the bike. This bike has the quintessential cruiser look from the front, with the LED lights, which are decent I would say. One critique of the front portion would be the lack of a dual pod instrument cluster like my Thunderbird. I think a Dual Pod Cluster, by putting a tachometer instead of the Tripper Navigation would have made the bike even better looking, and would be a homage to the first gen Thunderbird, the OG Royal Enfield Cruiser.

My Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650 Ownership Review-1.jpg

My Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650 Ownership Review-2.jpg

A couple of shots of the side profile of the bike. This is easily the most beautiful looking part of the bike. The black color with the blacked out engine together make a simple yet extremely good looking side profile of the motorcycle.

My Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650 Ownership Review-whatsapp-image-20230428-14.30.11.jpg

A view of the rear profile of the bike. It is simple and is almost exactly the same as the smaller Meteor 350, except for the Twin Exhausts. While it is decently looking, a bit of a differentiation from the smaller motorcycle could have been made imo.

My Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650 Ownership Review-whatsapp-image-20230428-14.33.54.jpg

The headlight is simple and functional, with LED lights standard, which is pretty new for RE. It is fine, but I have not ridden the bike out in extreme darkness to test out how good the headlights are. But when compared to the Thunderbird, these are better.

My Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650 Ownership Review-whatsapp-image-20230428-14.37.35.jpg

The simple instrument cluster a speedo, fuel indicator and a couple of other features. Also present is the Tripper, which I am yet to use. Updates on the Tripper navigation will be posted soon.

My Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650 Ownership Review-5678.jpg
My Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650 Ownership Review-1234.jpg

The front and rear tyres and brakes. This bike has CEAT tyres, with Bybre Brakes with dual - channel ABS. I have not driven a more powerful bike than this, so I cannot compare braking with otjher bikes. But even then, I find the brakes to be decent, they ensure that the bike stops pretty quickly. This bike is also the first with ABS in the entire garage, and only now I realize how ABS is extremely important and I could have saved myself from various accidents if I had any on my older bikes.

Only a couple of kilometers have been put into the bike so far, and more updates would be put as more kilometers are covered and if and when any changes are made to the bike.
TorqueMonster is offline   (55) Thanks
Old 29th April 2023, 09:55   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650 Ownership Review

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Motorcycle section. Thanks for sharing!

Going to our homepage tomorrow
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th April 2023, 10:22   #3
BHPian

Booked mine on March 4th - Astral Black was my preferred model so that I can pick and choose accessories from a limited catalog. Then began the waiting. I was told it will be at least 3 months. After waiting for a month, I called RE and was told all deliveries are delayed and it may take couple of more months. Suddenly on April 19th, I got a call from the dealer that I can make the payment and they can deliver the bike in 7 days! I went on the same day and paid the full amount by cheque. On Monday, 24th April, I got an SMS from Vaahan that my bike is registered. Received a call promptly on Wednesday 26th April, asking me to pick up the bike at my convenience. The delivery experience was nothing great. Apart from explaining how to switch on the bike and showing how headlights and indicators work, there was not much of explaining. Mandatory photo followed with no audience, no applause, no cake. But the lady who gave me my invoice stood up and handed over a small bag of chocolates that took me back to school days. It contained Eclairs, Melody, Mango Mood, etc. They then handed me a cheap-looking RE helmet. I got foot pegs, touring mirrors and sump guard installed. Backrest and windshield was not in stock and no one bothered to tell me when it was expected. I had to go back upstairs to pay for accessories and by the time i returned, the bike was parked on the road and a passing sales guy handed me the keys and said "Your bike is outside". The whole experience was akin to taking your weekly Masala Dosa parcel from the local restaurant. I didn't expect this for a premium bike from RE. Anyway, the good part is the bike. Beautiful machine and a great riding experience. I am riding a bike after almost 17 years and am looking forward to many miles of joy.

Last edited by hawrie : 30th April 2023 at 10:23. Reason: Typo
hawrie is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 30th April 2023, 10:35   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawrie View Post
"Your bike is outside". The whole experience was akin to taking your weekly Masala Dosa parcel from the local restaurant. I didn't expect this for a premium bike from RE. Anyway, the good part is the bike. Beautiful machine and a great riding experience. I am riding a bike after almost 17 years and am looking forward to many miles of joy.
Congratulations on the bike Hawrie! I understand your anger on RE's sales and service, as that played a major reason on why I don't currently have a Classic 500 or a Interceptor in my garage (terrible showroom experience just delayed my purchase, for the better). Unfortunately, RE dealers know that people would buy their bikes regardless, leading to terrible treatment. But the bike in itself is excellent, and I hope you get to cover thousands of kilometers on this wonderful bike

While availability of accessories has been less, at least for the Super Meteor, the sales experience for me was fairly good, and better than the time I booked a Classic 500. The showroom was prompt in contacting me post booking online, offering test rides, and delivering the vehicle with barely a week in delay than promised. Only con would be the lack of accessories, but that seems to be an all India thing considering this being an issue raised multiple times in the official review thread
TorqueMonster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th April 2023, 13:39   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Booked mine on March 4th - Astral Black was my preferred model so that I can pick and choose accessories from a limited catalog. Then began the waiting. I was told it will be at least 3 months. After waiting for a month, I called RE and was told all deliveries are delayed and it may take couple of more months. Suddenly on April 19th, I got a call from the dealer that I can make the payment and they can deliver the bike in 7 days! I went on the same day and paid the full amount by cheque. On Monday, 24th April, I got an SMS from Vaahan that my bike is registered. Received a call promptly on Wednesday 26th April, asking me to pick up the bike at my convenience. The delivery experience was nothing great. Apart from explaining how to switch on the bike and showing how headlights and indicators work, there was not much of explaining. Mandatory photo followed with no audience, no applause, no cake. But the lady who gave me my invoice stood up and handed over a small bag of chocolates that took me back to school days. It contained Eclairs, Melody, Mango Mood, etc. They then handed me a cheap-looking RE helmet. I got foot pegs, touring mirrors and sump guard installed. Backrest and windshield was not in stock and no one bothered to tell me when it was expected. I had to go back upstairs to pay for accessories and by the time i returned, the bike was parked on the road and a passing sales guy handed me the keys and said "Your bike is outside". The whole experience was akin to taking your weekly Masala Dosa parcel from the local restaurant. I didn't expect this for a premium bike from RE. Anyway, the good part is the bike. Beautiful machine and a great riding experience. I am riding a bike after almost 17 years and am looking forward to many miles of joy.
Congratulations on your new motorcycle. I don't mean to criticise, but I wonder what more a company can do in terms of delivery. They gave you your bike, they took a picture, and they gave you chocolates! When I had purchased my Himalayan, I met them at their parking, took the keys and rode off. RE showrooms are busy, and presumably everyone there has something to do. I am not sure why they'd stand around and give applause for something they've all seen hundreds of times. The best way to get people to clap at delivery is probably to do it the way YouTubers do, who bring 10-15 of their own acquaintances and friends for fanfare and applause
karanddd is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 30th April 2023, 19:57   #6
BHPian

Karanddd... hilarious.

I took delivery of my Xpulse at corner of their SC where store parts are located, with the sales guy taking a snapshot from my own phone.

Sigh i don't have much expectations

Torquemonster congratulations, the twinspark TB is a looker and can be modded into a typical chopper. The 650 looks good in itself. If you are looking to install a windshield go for the OG Machismo type. We get it here in Delhi. That would look killer, along with a customized steel sissy bar. Just my thoughts.

Last edited by SidharthaN : 30th April 2023 at 20:02.
SidharthaN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2023, 20:10   #7
BHPian

Quote:
The whole experience was akin to taking your weekly Masala Dosa parcel from the local restaurant. I didn't expect this for a premium bike from RE.
You had a much better experience than I did honestly. I was asked to come to the dealership at 5:30 p.m, which I confirmed 15 mins before leaving my house as well. Reached the dealership and the SA told us to wait for 15 mins and then the bike would be ready. We agreed and finished all the remaining paperwork. 15 mins became 1 hour and my SA was nowhere to be seen. He turned up in between, asked for what accessories I wanted, billed the same and went away again. About 20 mins later, I asked another employee who said he would follow up and the bike was brought out around 20-30 mins later. We took the photo and they gave us the User manual and complimentary crappy helmet and a run through of the controls of the bike. Towards the end, while checking the VIN, we realised that this wasn’t my bike! In a hurry, they took it back, to remove all the accessories, fit it onto the correct bike, wash and polish the bike and we had to wait another 30-40 mins while they brought it out. Left the place only around 7:45pm.
WhiskeyTangoFox is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 6th May 2023, 22:41   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueMonster View Post

The Weight. While Weight is a given for the Enfield, being its most infamous character, 240kg is too heavy for a motorcycle.
Congratulations on your SM-650!!!

Weight is the only reason I will not consider it - not even for a test ride. Whereas delivery experience is concerned. Brother, RE is selling bikes are "Pathakkas" during Diwali. They don't have time and intent for the pom-pom etc. Or they want people to "BYOD" - Bring Your Own Drama.
shailinder is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2023, 22:51   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shailinder View Post

Weight is the only reason I will not consider it - not even for a test ride. Whereas delivery experience is concerned. Brother, RE is selling bikes are "Pathakkas" during Diwali. They don't have time and intent for the pom-pom etc. Or they want people to "BYOD" - Bring Your Own Drama.
I think you should take a test drive. I think the weight is masked very well when the bike is on the move. This is a characteristic of a cruiser and it definitely helps in the balance of the bike in high speeds and this shouldn’t be a reason alone to reject it completely. I am only talking from my personal experience, Thank you!
diwa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th May 2023, 10:55   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shailinder View Post

I think despite the weight, it is still worth a test drive if you want. While its heavy to push around, once it gets moving, you don't even notice the weight, its pretty easy to drive around. It masks its weight much better than other RE's from before
TorqueMonster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2023, 11:08   #11
BHPian

Yesterday was when 100kms were finally completed on the bike. And within 2 weeks, there has been a lot I've observed about this bike, which I would like to add on.

Firstly, a new and better pillion seat is certainly a necessity. I sat pillion for the first time and the immediate thing I notice is the total lack of space present, even for someone who is not tall like me. It could have certainly been more longer, and preferably wider. This leads to a situation where a thin and flat seat, coupled with a powerful bike leads to a chance of pillion literally being flung out if they weren't holding on tightly.

Secondly, a more detailed update on the suspension. I took the bike to the highway for the first time, and the suspension is keeping the bike totally planted, the suspension and the brakes ensure that no wind or not other factors could effect a stable cruising. But this fill eventually lead to issues elsewhere especially in the city. Going over a bump means where is a sharp suspension response, which is usually managable, but I would not risk it over a very bumpy road with deeper potholes. Secondly, because the suspension of the bike is tuned the way it is, it will ensure any and all undulations in the road are felt. This is usually okay, but for rumble strips and deep potholes, it becomes annoying.

The next update would probably be during 1st service, or whenever all accessories would be made available, which despite so much time, has still not reached.

Signing off with a photo of the beast

My Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650 Ownership Review-whatsapp-image-20230508-11.07.21.jpg
TorqueMonster is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th May 2023, 11:20   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidharthaN View Post
Karanddd... hilarious.

Torquemonster congratulations, the twinspark TB is a looker and can be modded into a typical chopper. The 650 looks good in itself. If you are looking to install a windshield go for the OG Machismo type. We get it here in Delhi. That would look killer, along with a customized steel sissy bar. Just my thoughts.
I am currently keeping the Thunderbird properly stock. I had plants on modifying it, but then decided to keep the bike stock, since the old Thunderbird look has its own charm and would age well, I intend on keeping this bike with me for as long as possible. The bike currently has dents, faded paint at some ends, and a lot of rust. It will be repainted soon and the bike would be made to be the exact way it was delivered back in 2012.

As for the 650, geniunely considering a sissy bar, saw one on a Super Meteor on Instagram and it actually looked good, might get one but of a small size. Not getting a windshield at least for now.
Old 8th May 2023, 18:35   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidharthaN View Post
If you are looking to install a windshield go for the OG Machismo type. We get it here in Delhi.
Hi, can you share where in Delhi can I get a Machismo type windshield ? Thanks in advance.
A350 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2023, 18:38   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueMonster View Post
Congratulations on your new ride TM, I hope you enjoy it as much as the previous one. It is certainly a looker
A350 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2023, 23:21   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350 View Post
Hi, can you share where in Delhi can I get a Machismo type windshield ? Thanks in advance.
Karol bagh market, look for Shiv Windshield Accessories or Jeetu in old khajanchi gali
SidharthaN is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks