Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2023, 14:16   #16
BHPian

Re: Problems with my pre-owned Royal Enfield Interceptor | Any insights will be helpful

This issue with RR unit is quite common. I guess many Inty/ GT owners have faced this. Mine had the same issue of engine malfunction and ABS light going on and off and occasional power loss at 80kph and above. The RR unit was replaced under extended warranty and it never reoccurred again.
ishan12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2023, 19:35   #17
BHPian

Re: Problems with my pre-owned Royal Enfield Interceptor | Any insights will be helpful

RE has put the RR unit behind the engine between the swing arm pivot and the engine mount. The RR unit by nature heats up which is why it has fins to act as a heat sink but the position that RE places it in causes it to overheat and fail. RE has not changed the RR unit position even on the new 650s. This is a common issue with many owners reporting it and mechanics who work on 650 know of this issue, some even change the mounting position so that it gets more air flow allowing it to run cooler. Really can't figure out why RE hasn't found a fix to this.

A rectifier is a device that converts an oscillating two-directional alternating current (AC) into a single-directional direct current (DC). The rectifier constantly charges the battery through power generated from the magnet and coils, while the battery is also continuously being discharged in order to provide power to the ignition, fueling, lights, etc. This conversion of electric power causes the RR unit to heat up and when it doesn't work well the battery voltage and recharging capacity drops leading to loss of power supplied to the ignition, fueling and other components. This is what causes the bike to perform erratically when the RR unit starts malfunctioning.

Last edited by 2StrokeJunkie : 24th May 2023 at 19:44.
2StrokeJunkie is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 10:26   #18

Happy to hear that your issue has been sorted. Always glad to see issues getting resolved and the rider returning back happy.
CLASSICREBORN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 13:16   #19
BHPian

Hi @iabhimanyu - i own a 2019 Inty baker express which i have ridden for approx. 20,000 kms till now. I have had multiple electrical issues with it as the first gen Inty's were plagued with faulty electricals specially the Rectifier units. The local dealer personnel couldn't diagnose it properly both time i took my vehicle to them.

First time is was mis-diagnosed as a dead battery (as the bike was showing the red battery icon for somedays prior to it refusing to start one fine day so i also was kind of convinced that it was the battery). Had to call for Roadside assistance and get the vehicle towed to the service station.

The problem (refusing to start) again cropped up two days after i got the bike back from the service station. I really lost it and shouted back at my advisor and got him to send someone to take the vehicle back to the service station. In the two days that i rode the bike it developed a new issue - The engine used to shut off when slowing down (even with the clutch lever fully pulled in).

This time it was again a mis-diagnosis and they claimed that the EVAP canister was clogged and they replaced it (i had to pay for it). With the issue cropping up again after a couple of days i finally reached out to an RE engineer working at the Chennai plant who send a local service engineer to the workshop and the issue was finally diagnosed to a faulty RR unit. My aftermarket LED Headlight bulb was replaced with a RE halogen unit (which was the culprit it seems as it was mis-drawing power as mentioned by @AtheK in his post).

Inty's been doing fine since then.....Hope the above was helpful.
ThePatientMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2023, 14:12   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePatientMan View Post
Hi @iabhimanyu - i own a 2019 Inty baker express which i have ridden for approx. 20,000 kms till now. I have had multiple electrical issues with it as the first gen Inty's were plagued with faulty electricals specially the Rectifier units. The local dealer personnel couldn't diagnose it properly both time i took my vehicle to them.

First time is was mis-diagnosed as a dead battery (as the bike was showing the red battery icon for somedays prior to it refusing to start one fine day so i also was kind of convinced that it was the battery). Had to call for Roadside assistance and get the vehicle towed to the service station.

The problem (refusing to start) again cropped up two days after i got the bike back from the service station. I really lost it and shouted back at my advisor and got him to send someone to take the vehicle back to the service station. In the two days that i rode the bike it developed a new issue - The engine used to shut off when slowing down (even with the clutch lever fully pulled in).

This time it was again a mis-diagnosis and they claimed that the EVAP canister was clogged and they replaced it (i had to pay for it). With the issue cropping up again after a couple of days i finally reached out to an RE engineer working at the Chennai plant who send a local service engineer to the workshop and the issue was finally diagnosed to a faulty RR unit. My aftermarket LED Headlight bulb was replaced with a RE halogen unit (which was the culprit it seems as it was mis-drawing power as mentioned by @AtheK in his post).

Inty's been doing fine since then.....Hope the above was helpful.
Even I was told to replace the ABS sensor. At one point they even said that the fault might be with the ECU unit. Thank goodness I found right solution here and I insisted upon changing the RR unit first. Which they did and now she's running fine.
iabhimanyu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2023, 14:15   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLASSICREBORN View Post
Happy to hear that your issue has been sorted. Always glad to see issues getting resolved and the rider returning back happy.
I am so so glad too. Though I am still at the back of the head worry a little while riding her that the issue might resurface again. It will take some days for her to regain my confidence haha
Old 28th May 2023, 19:06   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by iabhimanyu View Post
I am so so glad too. Though I am still at the back of the head worry a little while riding her that the issue might resurface again. It will take some days for her to regain my confidence haha
Yes, it is obvious that it will take some time for you to regain your trust. But I am hopeful that the work has been done well. Ride safe.
Old 31st May 2023, 22:06   #23
Senior - BHPian

The placement of the RR Unit is a design flaw on the 650 twins. It's placed right behind the engine low and below, in front of the swing-arm axle bolt which are prime areas for accumulating road muck and things getting baked eventually over them causing overheating. Removing the RR unit itself is a tedious job in case the unit fries itself.

The other aspect I've observed with a couple of 650s is the dash doesn't throw the MIL light in case of an impending failure of the charging system. As long as some voltage is churned out to the battery, even if it's way too low to keep the peripherals running, the ECM doesn't construe it as an error, meaning, the bike just doesn't throw any error, till it hiccups, coughs and settles to the side of the kerb. The RR unit heats up because it's basically like a step down transformer which helps charge your battery, and this thing should be kept cool with good amount of air flowing over them. This unit specifically has fins embedded over it primarily to increase the surface area which helps shed the generated heat, something like an LED AUX light unit, have you seen fins behind them? That's what they are for. To transfer the heat to the air so that the LED unit stays cool without burning the innards.

To keep it even simpler. What happens when a radiator doesn't get enough air and is caked and baked with mud? The cooling efficiency of the radiator decreases, which in turn kills the motor in the long run, if left unnoticed. Similarly, the unit in the 650 is placed right where it's prime for accumulation of muck and grime splash which eventually will cake itself over the unit and hence severely restrict limit already meagre air flow that's going over the unit, all these would mean, the RR would just fry itself up when you least expect.

RE should try to shift the RR to a better air flowing part of the motorcycle, so that crucial failures like these doesn't happen or perhaps they should update the ECU to detect critical charging voltage parameters so that the ECU thinks and alerts the user better.

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 31st May 2023 at 22:10.
VijayAnand1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2023, 14:46   #24
BHPian

I have had the exact same issue with my 2019 Inty. The check engine and ABS lights went on and off randomly, no power loss though. Last 2 weeks however the lights never went off. Took it to the local RE SVC yesterday, and of course the warnings weren't there. They checked with the OBD thing, and said that there are no errors in the system. I told them I don't mind changing the RR unit in any case, but they being Himachalis refused to replace something that may not be broken Is it normal for an RR unit malfunction to not show up on ECU errors?
RiderZone is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks