Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2023, 09:42   #16
BHPian

Re: Bengaluru's Urban Warrior - What motorcycle to tackle the concrete jungle, potholes & traffic ja

I love OP’s handle, I also have an RD and my late dad’s Yezdi (ashamed to say neither runs, but hopefully will have the time later this year) and have bought an Xpulse as a second bike. I’ve only done 900 km myself.

Your assessment is completely accurate. The bike is comfy and light. The tall seat height is an additional plus as one gets the same vantage point as a Thar, and one is mostly not blinded by oncoming headlights. For me this alone is worth it. I commute after dark everyday.

But the fueling is annoying and far inferior to the J-series bikes I was renting earlier. As Chetan Rao said and you also anticipated, this sort of thing can get old fast. I find myself riding the clutch to avoid the jerks, and then my hand hurts. Moreover the top end is not worth exploring and the engine feels and sounds unattractive. It’s quick enough in the midrange though, but I’m not a fast rider.

I still prefer it to my hatchback because of the traffic jams and the epidemic of illegal LED headlamps. And I’ll be using the bike to improve my non-existent riding skills on the slippery stuff. If it wasn’t for that last point I might’ve been better off with a V-Strom 250. I wouldn’t get a scooter, even if it was only for commuting, because of the seat height benefit.
Vikram9193 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th June 2023, 13:24   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bengaluru's Urban Warrior - What motorcycle to tackle the concrete jungle, potholes & traffic ja

My jump to the VSTROM 250 had helped me manage the lunar landscape of Namma Bengaluru. Check it out
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2023, 21:45   #18
BHPian

Just my 2 cents, my switch from the Fz to R15 in 2018 helped my back 100%. Nothing too bad, but I would get a few spasms once in a few months, and maybe slight stiffness in my back after long rides on my Fz.
All that is gone, on my R15, as the lean takes the pressure off my back. Sore shoulders are way better to handle than anything in the back, I feel. It’s light too, (mine is R15S), actually lighter than our Aprilia scooter. V4 R15 though is way too aggressive, and probably people with any condition might need to check with a doctor before trying anything such.
Also another 2 cents, Aprilia SR with its wide tyres and seating way behind the front wheel actually feels more comfortable on my back compared to the Activa we had earlier.
But for a 15Km commute, I always prefer the R15 any day
vinya_jag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 03:11   #19
BHPian

Thank you all for your valuable suggestions. While I do know that a car like a Nano would be extremely sensible and convenient, at this stage in my life I'd still prefer a motorcycle to mess around with, which should also tell you that I am not very sensible despite my back injuries. My brother has a Nano besides a Verna and I would lose the opportunity of making jokes at his expense if I got a Nano for myself too. I already have an Alto and that does the job pretty well.

I will also check out the smaller Apaches, the Suzuki Vstrom, and just for the heck of it, the new KTM390 with adjustable suspension, though it's highly unlikely that I would commute on Rs 4 lakh motorcycle, again.

I did however manage to get a ride on a friend's late 2022 Xpulse CS Santosh Rally Edition and what a ride it was!

So at first, I was pretty intimidated by its height. I was worried I wouldn't be able to swing my leg over the seat. The bike was initially parked on the cobblestoned pavement and that made it even more challenging so I moved it to the road and managed to pretty easily swing my leg over the seat.

Bengaluru's Urban Warrior - What motorcycle to tackle the concrete jungle, potholes & traffic jams?-cow-xpulse-rally.jpg

On the saddle, I could touch the ground with my toes on both legs. My height is 5.11. I was slightly worried about whether I would be able to handle riding it, stopping, etc but once on the move, it was easy.

In fact, the riding position, and suspension are much more commanding than the XPulse base variant. You sit much higher, with potholes and big speed-breakers being discarded like they don't exist. It is so tall that while passing autorickshaws you would be looking down at them instead of looking inside them like you would if you were on a normal motorcycle. Put your arm out and you would be able to swing it over the roof of most SUVs!

The riding position is great, I loved it. Throughout the ride, I kept looking for potholes and speed breakers so much so that in the lanes that I didn't find them I was disappointed! It's the other way around on the Interceptor. This is the Rally Edition with the stock seat, the Rally seat makes the seat height higher which would definitely make it more difficult for me to handle.

Bengaluru's Urban Warrior - What motorcycle to tackle the concrete jungle, potholes & traffic jams?-cow-xpulse-rally-1.jpg

I thought taking U-turns would be tricky but it was a breeze. Stopping, negotiating traffic, and riding through the small gaps on the extreme left of the road also didn't cause any issues though my confidence levels initially were low, I eventually got pretty comfortable with it. I was even standing up on the footpegs and flying over speed breakers, etc. The only issue I did face was when I tried to move the motorcycle backward while on the saddle - with only my toes reaching the ground, that's all I had for leverage.

Bengaluru's Urban Warrior - What motorcycle to tackle the concrete jungle, potholes & traffic jams?-astride-xpulse-rally.jpg

Should that be a deal-breaker? I probably need to ride it for a few hours more to determine whether this is the motorcycle that fits my requirement but first impression-wise - I was smiling a lot just riding it at slow speeds, I can't remember the last time riding a motorcycle at low speeds made me this happy.

I will have to borrow it for a longer period and also check out other options but right now, I'm pretty smitten with the Xpulse.

The owner did complain about the lack of power making it a boring motorcycle to ride pretty quickly for him but to me, the power seemed adequate. I guess on the short stretches when the road opens up other motorcycles will pass the Xpulse but once the going gets tough the Xpulse will see you through in comfort. This is what I feel. But this is also why I should probably also check-out the Suzuki VStrom.

Other than that I noticed the Rally Edition doesn't have a main stand which could make chain maintenance and fixing punctures an issue. I hear the std version has a main stand. The std version seems a more sensible option, I did find a few pre-owned std Xpulse 4Vs for sale in the Rs 1.50+ ballpark with around 10k km of usage. I think at that price, there isn't much of a difference with the cost of a brand new 4v at Rs 1.83 with 0 km on the odo.

Let me know what you guys think!

Last edited by 2StrokeJunkie : 12th June 2023 at 03:38.
2StrokeJunkie is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 04:31   #20
BHPian

As of now, nimble bike for your requirements are Xpulse 4V Standard or pro variant. You should test ride both extensively.
And If you can wait for couple of months Himalayan 450 will hit our roads, should definitely give it a try. And on Xpulse 420, it will be launched only by Q4 of 2024 or later.
Turbosailor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 08:46   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2StrokeJunkie View Post
Should that be a deal-breaker?
I hear the std version has a main stand.
What you experienced is proof enough that the XPulse seems optimal for your usage.

I had ridden the stock XPulse 200 4V and experienced very similar ride except the looking down on autos, there were none on my route.
The stock version is the most practical option and more than enough for city usage and just get a new one. I think you'll feel at home in that.
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 09:11   #22
BHPian

@2StrokeJunkie, Get the standard variant if seat height is an issue. I'm shorter than you and I have no issues riding the standard variant in town except for the lack of power on highways. Highway usability similar to any scooter(feels strained at 90).
Senotrius is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 10:13   #23
BHPian

XPulse is definitely an urban warrior, not many realize the benefits of long travel suspension in our varied and drastically transforming road conditions.

Transition good to worst road conditions can be so drastic in a single commute

If planning to go for scooters due to practical considerations, go for ones with long travel suspension like Aprilia SXR/SR 160, SR 125 or Yamaha Aerox 155.
autohead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 17:21   #24
BHPian

Quote:
to accomplish the following crucial purposes:

- Get me in and out of dense high blood pressure-inducing Bangalore traffic.
- Get me to and from work - quickly, safely and enthusiastically every day.
- Save my injured back from the potholes and speed breakers.
- Have a commanding road presence yet be lightweight, easy to maneuver with enough power to accelerate quickly to the next stop light.
- Light on the pocket in turns of daily running and maintenance.
- A motorcycle that is rough and tough.

These are some of the requirements for the motorcycle.

I have gotten fed up with riding the Interceptor 650 in the city. I fell like a moron stuck in traffic with that 650cc twin lump roasting my legs in bumper-to-bumper traffic while a TVS50 finds a gap in the traffic and disappears.

Cheers!
Hi

I take the liberty of picking the keywords and suggesting few options.. coz I feel there is no one bike that can do all.
I'm also from Bangalore, so I have some credible background to recommend

- Quickly, enthusiastically, injured back, commanding road presence, Light weight, rough and tough : Suzuki V-Strom SX 250
- Safely, easy to maneuver, power to accelerate, low on maintenance: Scooter like NtorQ
- Light weight, easy to maneuver, light on pocket, for daily runs, get me to work and back, enough power to accelerate quickly, road presence - TVS Raider SX

You can fit basis your key priorities.

High BP inducing Traffic - Slow breath-in and slower breath out and observe the breath. May work
vigneshnr is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 20:56   #25
BHPian

It seems you are liking the xpulse, and already have a powerful bike for highways, so you can go for the regular version.
You can check out the Xpulse 200T 4v. It has alloy wheels, and could be better for the city.

I would have suggested some commuters, like the TVS Raider which is really good, but it will feel small for your height.

Since you mentioned Pulsars, The NS200 just got updated with dual channel ABS and USD forks. It has a powerful liquid cooled engine. The N250 has a 2v oil cooled engine with a 5-speed gearbox. Power output is similar for both, but 250 has better low end.
ProLearner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 10:23   #26
BHPian

Quote:

The Xpulse Pro also seems like it can climb footpaths and dividers at ease, something which the RX couldn't do as easily due to its lower ground clearance.
This is the part that I enjoyed the most A city bike that could climb footpath and divider. I think if the test ride clicked with you, you should get it and just go with the heart.

But then I also read you were open to scooters, and I could not stop myself from recommending Yamaha Aerox 155. I think for the city grind it is all you need, and may be even climb small footpaths and dividers.

I climbed Rajmachi on my humble Yamaha RayZ, I think Aerox can easily surpass that.

Bengaluru's Urban Warrior - What motorcycle to tackle the concrete jungle, potholes & traffic jams?-screenshot_2019030923392068.png

Last edited by Mr.Ogre : 14th June 2023 at 10:28.
Mr.Ogre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 10:23   #27
BHPian

I too would suggest you get a scooter, an EV perhaps if your infrastructure allows it. When I was working in Bangalore, I had my scooter transported from Delhi, financially it made more sense than getting a new vehicle, and it's not like a commute through peak Marathalli traffic is going to induce pleasure either . Since you already have a pretty solid bike, I'd suggest you go the used route and save the money for a bigger cc bike later on. A well maintained scooter will easily surpass it's intended lifecycle if maintained well, I have 12.5yrs old TVS Wego and it still runs like a dream.

An EV scooter btw is enough for all the thrills you seek and then some. Jupiter is another great alternative for city commutes.
MotoBlip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 11:14   #28

I had the same problem with my Interceptor. Your requirements (if you think with the head and not the heart) scream for a Ather or Ola scooter. I got myself an Ather last month and have been loving Bangalore traffic since
But seriously, these EVs pull faster than any motorcycle under 300 cc until 75kmph,which is all you need fo cutting through the city traffic.
BlitzAl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 11:55   #29

From one interceptor owner to another, ‘I feel you man’. Riding in hot Mumbai weather, getting a absolutely cooked after an hours ride, the irritating foot peg knocking on the shin every now and then, the wide seat, I had been wondering for a long time what business I have this bike in city. So one day I walked into the RE showroom to have a ride on the scram. The decision was influenced in no small measures by the video from fortnine. I have to say that was a fun bike. After having ridden the interceptor for about half an hour, I could not help but unnecessarily lean the the scram on U turns, merely because I could. The only logical thing to do after that was ride the x pulse. Within a minute I knew that the bike was not for me. At slow speeds it was gem of a machine but whenever I would hit a 200 meter open stretch, I missed the power and the excitement. After all a small dose of adrenaline on our way to work and back, doesn’t hurt. For me that’s the reason I would choose a slightly powerful bike over a nimble one, and a bike over a scooter. For now I have been unable to makeup my mind but will be eagerly looking at this thread in future. I hope you and wish you you find love like the Rx 100.
utkarsha87 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 11:57   #30
BHPian

Based on your requirements, go for Xpulse 4v eyes closed and enjoy your rides. I for one have been using Xpulse 4v for all my rides irrespective of the terrain. Monday to Friday office commutes, Saturday trails and sometimes Sunday long rides too.

This has been serving me well for the last 19500 kms without any hiccups. I currently maintain one bike garage.

On highways you can effortlessly ride at 85-90 kmph and if pushed hard it will reach 115/120 kmph mark but then i would never ride at that speed no matter what nor i would recommend anyone.

Coming to the fuel efficiency i get 36-40 kmpl on city and 42-45 kmpl on highway rides when ridden below 90 kmph. Till date 58 kmpl was the highest and 29 kmpl was the lowest if these stats are important to you.

As usual Hero spares are available over the counter and cheap when compared to counterparts.

Stock Ceat tyre serves well on all terrain and my stock tyres lasted 11K (rear) and front has life for another 10K kms.

Stock break pads are nissin and they are priced at Rs.1300 each. As an alternative you can go with Rane make TVS Apache pads for the front which costs Rs.300 odd and for the rear Honda Dazzler which costs some Rs.700 are direct fit.

Do let me know if you have any other questions.
Oppanna is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks