Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2023, 22:17   #1
BHPian

Bengaluru's Urban Warrior - What motorcycle to tackle the concrete jungle, potholes & traffic jams?

So I was thinking of a title along the lines of Royal Challenger of Bangalore but then the Ee Saala Cup Namde line has now sadly turned into a joke on the optimism that the city's cricket fans console themselves with.

Ok, jokes apart, I will cut straight to the chase. I am looking for a 2nd motorcycle (actually 4th ) to accomplish the following crucial purposes:

- Get me in and out of dense high blood pressure-inducing Bangalore traffic.
- Get me to and from work - quickly, safely and enthusiastically every day.
- Save my injured back from the potholes and speed breakers.
- Have a commanding road presence yet be lightweight, easy to maneuver with enough power to accelerate quickly to the next stop light.
- Light on the pocket in turns of daily running and maintenance.
- A motorcycle that is rough and tough.

These are some of the requirements for the motorcycle.

I have gotten fed up with riding the Interceptor 650 in the city. I fell like a moron stuck in traffic with that 650cc twin lump roasting my legs in bumper-to-bumper traffic while a TVS50 finds a gap in the traffic and disappears. Maneuvering the 650 out of parking lots, dealing with the terrible roads, and trying to get ahead of other motorists either preoccupied with their phones while driving or motorcyclists who want to block the road so they can chit chat and ride together - all whilst I have to manage the 200+ kgs of the motorcycle leaves me angry, irritated, tired and exhausted.

A couple of days back I dropped into a Hero showroom close to home and took a test ride of the Xpulse 4V and was floored. It reminded me a lot of my RX (light and nimble) and its suspension reminded me of what none of my other bikes can do. It made light work of all the ruts, troughs, potholes, and speed-breakers with aplomb. It was so good at smoothening out bad roads that I wondered how the Xpulse 4V Pro or the Rally Edition would be. Unfortunately, they didn't have any in stock and none for me to get a test ride on.

I really like the Blue and White dual-tone paint scheme and since it's been a while since I've ridden a small bore - I was revving it to the redline in 1st and 2nd and having a blast with it. Reminded me a lot of my RX.

The Xpulse Pro also seems like it can climb footpaths and dividers at ease, something which the RX couldn't do as easily due to its lower ground clearance. The Xpulse also offers me the option of hitting the trails. The tubed tires don't seem like much of a downer because the motorcycle seems pretty light so pushing it around should not be too much of a problem.

Bengaluru's Urban Warrior - What motorcycle to tackle the concrete jungle, potholes & traffic jams?-xpulse-4v.png

The only negative point I felt was that the fueling was very abrupt at smaller throttle openings at slow speeds. This might make negotiating traffic a concern. Also, I didn't get a long enough spin to try out its acceleration past 2nd gear so I don't know how it would far in races to the stop light.

My previous benchmark for the perfect Urban Warrior used to be my ported and chambered RX135 which was a hooligan to ride but it needed frequent maintenance, the brakes were poor and the suspension wasn't the best with me weighing around 90 kg. But it did have power and was light and nimble.

Bengaluru's Urban Warrior - What motorcycle to tackle the concrete jungle, potholes & traffic jams?-yamaharx135640.jpg

So I am very seriously considering the Xpulse 4V and the Xpulse 4V Pro - hoping to get a test ride on the Pro version soon to help make a better decision. What do you guys think will be more fun to ride and a more accomplished motorcycle - the std Xpulse 4V or the Pro version?

My height is 5.11

Bengaluru's Urban Warrior - What motorcycle to tackle the concrete jungle, potholes & traffic jams?-xpulse-4v-pro.png

Should I be looking at pre-owned versions of the Xpulse to save money so I can buy new exhausts for the Interceptor?

Bengaluru's Urban Warrior - What motorcycle to tackle the concrete jungle, potholes & traffic jams?-hero-impulse-7.jpg

Bengaluru's Urban Warrior - What motorcycle to tackle the concrete jungle, potholes & traffic jams?-maxresdefault.jpg

While I am at it, I am also wondering if I will find the power of the 200cc 4v Hero inadequate and if that is the case should I be considering the Bajaj NS200 (don't know if it is still available and I have never ridden it to access its suspension capabilities for my requirement) or the N250. I wonder why Bajaj never put in that powerful 200cc LC motor in something like an Xpulse style of motorcycle.

Bengaluru's Urban Warrior - What motorcycle to tackle the concrete jungle, potholes & traffic jams?-20200210021159_bajajpulsarns200.jpg

The N250 I hear is pretty good but it has never appealed to me.

Bengaluru's Urban Warrior - What motorcycle to tackle the concrete jungle, potholes & traffic jams?-bajaj_pulsar_250_.jpeg

Should I be looking for a scooter instead?

Should I wait for the rumored Xpulse 400 or the Himalayan 450?

Bengaluru's Urban Warrior - What motorcycle to tackle the concrete jungle, potholes & traffic jams?-xpulse-420.jpg

Bengaluru's Urban Warrior - What motorcycle to tackle the concrete jungle, potholes & traffic jams?-rehimalayan450rendering.jpg

What would you choose as the best motorcycle/ vehicle that meets the needs mentioned above?

Do let me know!

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Bengaluru's Urban Warrior - What motorcycle to tackle the concrete jungle, potholes & traffic jams?-int-1-1.jpeg  

2StrokeJunkie is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 22:37   #2
BHPian

Re: Bengaluru's Urban Warrior - Built to tackle the concrete jungle, potholes, traffic jams and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2StrokeJunkie View Post
Should I be looking for a scooter instead?
If you are biking purist, you may not like this reply. As you are getting your dose of good riding on the Interceptor, a good reliable scooter for the city makes absolute practical sense to me. There is a reason why we see our roads filled with Activas and the like. Absolute practicality for the city, glides on potholes, zips through traffic, secure under seat storage, handles parking lot abuses like a champ, ridiculously simple vehicle. Inexpensive to maintain.

If I lived in Blore , my garage would have a GS1250 or an Africa Twin, and an Activa. One would look ridiculous picking up Kothambari soppu (cilantro) on a GS1250.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 8th June 2023 at 22:38.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 23:04   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bengaluru's Urban Warrior - Built to tackle the concrete jungle, potholes, traffic jams and more

^^
I will go a step further and recommend getting an entry level bike, a CD Deluxe, Shine or Platina. Hear me out.

Why bike?
I got a scooter few months ago, just to beat the traffic. Does the job of bypassing the traffic and being practical with some storage space and all. Easy on pocket too. But those small wheels slip in slush, ruts, road joints. They crash into potholes and have to be taken carefully to save my back. A bike would fare better here.

Why entry level bike?
Easy on pocket and maintenance while taking abuse. These bikes are also very narrow with short wheelbase and are better off to squeeze through traffic jams than an adventure bike or even the scooter. Almost like the TVS XL50.

Edit: Your signature shows you own an RX135. It's construction is similar to the entry level bikes I proposed. If you can use the Yamaha frequently then an Activa can complement the garage. If it can't then a CD Deluxe is a better bet.

Last edited by ashis89 : 8th June 2023 at 23:11.
ashis89 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 23:42   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I will go a step further and recommend getting an entry level bike, a CD Deluxe, Shine or Platina. Hear me out.
Well the RX135's suspension like i mentioned previously is woefully inadequate in managing my weight and causes my back to feel a lot pain since i already nurse a back injury. The interceptor does a phenomenal job compared to the RX or RD on that front
(suspension/ ride quality) which is why i bought it. And my test ride on the Xpulse convinced me that it tackles bad road much better than the Interceptor which is why i am seriously considering it but I'm confused between the std version and the pro/ rally edition or picking up a pre-owned one.

There is an old Activa at home but it transfers every undulation on the road straight into my spine and the seating position even after short rides always leaves me with an ache which is why I'm not seriously considering a scooter unless its got Xpulse like suspension.

Last edited by aah78 : 9th June 2023 at 03:05. Reason: Quote trimmed, typos. Please don't quote large posts entirely. Thanks.
2StrokeJunkie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 00:08   #5
Team-BHP Support

I'd recommend a scooter any day for primarily urban traffic usage, just for the sheer amount of gearshifts it'll save you. There's no joy in city-commute biking, might as well make it as convenient as possible and spare your left wrist & foot.

BHPian ashis89 makes a valid point about suspension quality on bad roads, so find a scooter with an acceptable suspension setup your body can live with.

Quote:
...The only negative point I felt was that the fueling was very abrupt at smaller throttle openings at slow speeds...
If it must be a bike, a proper real-world TD (preferably on your commute route on a workday) is a must. Low-gear, low-throttle crawling would be the primary use case, and if it's jumpy like you felt on your short TD, it'll get real annoying, real fast.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 9th June 2023 at 00:14.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 00:15   #6
BHPian

Most small capacity roadbikes will get the job done adequately. An xpulse will add a dollop of flexibility and fun on top of that if you're willing to bear with the slower handling and wider handlebars impeding quick ins-and-outs through traffic.

If you don't mind redlining the bike, power on smaller 4T bikes will not be a big issue. They won't be as exciting as your RX but you'll still be able to keep good enough time even if you lose a signal drag or ten. On bikes like the impulse and xpulse, you tend to save a lot of time over rough patches and they tend to open up paths and routes that you don't consider on other bikes. Since you're considering this more for practicality than for fun, I think a lack of power can be easy to overlook.

If you like the xpulse, go for it. It can be nice for touring too. The standard is good enough for most people. The pro version with the taller suspension might turn out to be something you'll regret if you can't handle the near 900mm seat height.

Or if you want to save money, a used roadbike like a Unicorn can also hit the spot. If you're a handling snob, then bikes from a decade and half ago with the thinner tyres handle better than nearly everything similar on the market today. I'd stay away from heavy bikes with long wheelbases for city use. This includes most adventure bikes.

My personal preference would be an Impulse, followed by a CB300R\F or a Pulsar N250.

Last edited by drt_rdr : 9th June 2023 at 00:16.
drt_rdr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 03:30   #7
BHPian

Quote:
There is an old Activa at home but it transfers every undulation on the road straight into my spine and the seating position even after short rides always leaves me with an ache which is why I'm not seriously considering a scooter unless its got Xpulse like suspension.
I ride an Activa every time I am in Blore. I am ~50 with minor back issues. I ride around in the south Blore area and we also see a fair amount of bumps and potholes. I am not sure where you ride, but short rides should not cause any aches on an Activa. Your back issues seem rather excessive, have you seen a chiropractor? Strengthening the back is really a great investment in life.

Sorry for the intrusion and tangent, you can choose to ignore, and continue the quest for back friendly vehicle.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 05:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What would you choose as the best motorcycle/ vehicle that meets the needs mentioned above?
I was in the same boat as you. No motorcycle or two wheeler can accomplish what you've listed.

The ideal solution is a switch to a Automatic Car (an EV preferably) or use the Metro (If it serves where you need to go).

I know EV cars are prohibitively expensive. With a motorcycle, even a light one, you're still going to be stressed, covered in dust and your back will go out at some point.

I had a daily commute between Cox Town and Whitefield. About 2 hours both ways. By the time I got home, I would be out of energy and pretty much useless at entertaining my 3 year old son who is excited to see me. In 24 hours, I got to see him for just 2 hours in day (When I got back from work). I could not stand to deal with a energetic child. This was not due to work stress. That evening one hour motorcycle commute back home wore me out.

I switched to using my gas loving Fiat Linea T Jet and everything changed. I did end up spending way more on gas and some extra time on the road. However, the many positives went far above that one negative. My stress reduced, my clothes lasted longer, my eyes were not stinging. I could sit in air conditioned peace and listen to some music while I inched forward in traffic. Even if I did not play any music, it was so much better sitting in the confines of the car. The chaos on the outside was muted if not completely shut out. The best part of it all, I could spend quality time with my little boy. There was no looking back at using a bike after this.

With the above said, I did not give up on my passion for riding a motorcycle. I kept that for the weekend.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 9th June 2023 at 05:06.
sandeepmohan is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 07:23   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

I am kind of in the same boat as you. I use the bike for my office commute which is 5-6 km each way. I have a Pulsar 200NS which is almost 11 years old and have been thinking of buying a new one. To get one thing out of the way, I saw you had the NS in your shortlist and would not recommend it. While it would be better than the interceptor, it is still a heavy bike, has an absurdly large turning radius and does heat up in traffic. Of course this is based on my 11 year old bike, but I don't think the fundamentals have changed.

In my case as I don't intend to have more than 1 bike, I am looking for something fairly powerful that can do city commutes as well as be a good cruiser.

In your case maybe you can look at the bunch of other bikes in the 150-200cc range.
Rajeevraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 08:51   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Any other city but Bangalore, I'd say go for a scooter and save on the gear shifts. But since this is our lovely city with its lovely roads, go for the Xpulse. Plus, you obviously are already leaning towards it anyway!
am1m is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 09:46   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Xpulse is the best bet for tackling bad roads! THe fuelling issue seems sorted in the 2023 variant. You can take a test ride to confirm.

Among scooters, nothing comes close the ride quality of Jupiter with correct tyre pressure. That thing absorbs bumps really well. I have not ridden the new Activa with telescopic suspension, so cannot comment on that.
sagarpadaki is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 10:17   #12
BHPian

Re: Bengaluru's Urban Warrior - What motorcycle to tackle the concrete jungle, potholes & traffic ja

Speaking as a Bangalorean who has to commute through the infamous Bellandur-Marathahalli-Whitefield area.

Your back is already hurt, any 2W will give you the comfort that will be properly good, though some might be an improvement over the RE 650.

Get yourself an used AT car with good AC. Yes, it'll be slower & expensive (fuel primarily), but much more energy conserving.

We bought a Nano XTA back in 2017 while actually looking to get an Active/equivalent for <7-10 km radius runabouts. Wisest decision ever, and lots of unexpected upsides.

cheers
lazy
lazy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 11:35   #13
BHPian

Re: Bengaluru's Urban Warrior - What motorcycle to tackle the concrete jungle, potholes & traffic ja

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy View Post
We bought a Nano XTA back in 2017 while actually looking to get an Active/equivalent for <7-10 km radius runabouts. Wisest decision ever, and lots of unexpected upsides.
Ditto on the 2017 Nano XTA. The bone-chilling AC is a boon in Chennai weather, easy to park, drive and maintain. I drive it like a hooligan, give grief to super-cars in the Nano and take a relaxed interpretation of traffic rules. The traffic cops smile and wave me on b'cos who'd want to stop an Uncle in a Nano

Now, gotta find someone who can replace the mill with a 4 cyl superbike engine and reduce to tears some richie-rich kids on the ECR!

Had promised the Missus a Red Porsche for the 25th anniversary, got her the Red Nano instead. Colour: Check, Rear engine: Check, Sounds like a bomb when accelerated: Check, Frustrating auto box: Check, People point and smile: Check.
Ferruccio is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 11th June 2023, 08:46   #14
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
^^
+1 to this suggestion.

Quote:

Do let me know!

Cheers!
Eyes closed get a Platina ABS or Shine 100. Retain Inty for the pleasure of big bike. You're good for another 15 years atleast. I drove my brother's Xpulse 4v at traffic in Chennai metro work areas. It is very difficult. I faced engine cut off frequently in traffic. All you need are very light and smooth clutch, good brakes and a commuter friendly seat. Same urban traffic a Shine or Platina makes a lot sense. I enjoy riding both my TB500 and CT125x. A scooter is a pain in bumps and I dont like frequent fuel stops with it. One more suggestion would be W175. Go check out once before ignoring it. It has quite a following in Asia Pacific.

Last edited by KPR : 11th June 2023 at 08:49.
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2023, 09:32   #15
BHPian

Please also do check out the TVS Apache's, both the 200 4v & the 160 4v.

I feel they'll suit your needs properly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks