Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2024, 10:15   #16
BHPian

Re: Bajaj Pulsar NS400 is in the works; launch in 2024

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Forget the engine. No Pulsar I have ridden handles and moves like a KTM. Ok I have not ridden the NS, but truly you cannot change the DNA of a bike. I would love for the new 250 and this 400 to buck that trend and be better handlers.
Cheers, Doc
I am not a Bajaj fanboy but I do not remember them advertising the Dominar to be a handler. They marketed it as a sports tourer and mostly, as a better alternative to the Royal Enfield 350s, which it is. Handling has never been a Bajaj's strength. They handle decent for their intended purpose.
Amrit@wheels is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2024, 10:34   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrit@wheels View Post
Handling has never been a Bajaj's strength.
That's what I am saying.

But its not Bajaj. Its Pulsar family specifically.

The KB100 and KTMs and Triumphs are also Bajajs. They handle beautifully.

I owned a first lot Pulsar 180. 2001. Its 2024 now. One would think that a company as big as Bajaj with access to technology like Kawasaki, KTM and Triumph, would have figured out by now what was needed to make their home grown sports bikes handle better.

And a Bullet (350 or 500) will in handling terms run rings around a Dominar or any Pulsar given a technical section of road. And that chassis was designed in the 1930s.

I'm no Pulsar fanboy or hater either. But a bike that does not handle well is simply less fun to ride. I think most riders will agree on that.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 24th April 2024 at 10:44.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2024, 16:35   #18
Senior - BHPian

Bajaj Pulsar NS400 details leaked ahead of launch

The first images of the Bajaj Pulsar NS400 have leaked online. The latest images reveal some interesting details of what is said to be the “Biggest Pulsar Ever”.

Bajaj Pulsar NS400 is in the works; launch in 2024-bajajpulsar400leakspyshots1.jpg

The images seem to have been captured in Bajaj’s own yard inside the factory. Fresh off the assembly line, the Pulsar NS400s featured in these images have been wrapped in bubble wrap, ready to be transported to dealerships across India.

The images reveal an aggressive design with lightning bolt-style LED DRLs and a single projector headlamp. Tucked behind the headlamp cowl is a digital instrument console and an almost flat handlebar. The bike is also equipped with a USD fork finished in gold.

The Pulsar NS400 is expected to use the same 373.3cc single-cylinder engine that powers the Dominar 400 and KTM RC 390, making it the biggest Pulsar ever. It will be paired with a 6-speed gearbox via a slip-and-assist clutch.

The Bajaj Pulsar NS400 will be officially revealed on May 3, 2024.

Source:

Link to Team-BHP news
TusharK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th April 2024, 18:04   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Forget the engine. No Pulsar I have ridden handles and moves like a KTM. Ok I have not ridden the NS, but truly you cannot change the DNA of a bike. I would love for the new 250 and this 400 to buck that trend and be better handlers.
Older Pulsars were not great handlers, P150,180,200,220 etc. They were just bad imo. But ride a 135 LS and NS/AS 200s and you would be pleasantly surprised. They are certainly not as committed as a KTM, but sure in league of Great Handling machines!
07CR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th April 2024, 18:24   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Older Pulsars were not great handlers, P150,180,200,220 etc. They were just bad imo. But ride a 135 LS and NS/AS 200s and you would be pleasantly surprised. They are certainly not as committed as a KTM, but sure in league of Great Handling machines!
That's what I was hoping for. In that case they just did a booboo with the Dominar. So sluggish. So top heavy. Just did not feel nice. And it wasn't just that one bike. I rode two. Different bikes. Different showrooms. Same feel. Are the NS/AS and Dominar frames, geometry and suspension different?

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2024, 18:29   #21
BHPian

Quote:
That's what I am saying.

But its not Bajaj. Its Pulsar family specifically.

The KB100 and KTMs and Triumphs are also Bajajs. They handle beautifully.
Kawasaki and KTMs' are superior products for sure, but I won't call them Bajaj, certainly not as much as the Pulsar line up.

Quote:
I owned a first lot Pulsar 180. 2001. Its 2024 now. One would think that a company as big as Bajaj with access to technology like Kawasaki, KTM and Triumph, would have figured out by now what was needed to make their home grown sports bikes handle better.
Completely agreed

Quote:
And a Bullet (350 or 500) will in handling terms run rings around a Dominar or any Pulsar given a technical section of road. And that chassis was designed in the 1930s.
Completely disagreed. I have ridden both and Dominar is much superior to the Bullet in every aspect of riding. I am a Classic 350 owner too.

Quote:
I'm no Pulsar fanboy or hater either. But a bike that does not handle well is simply less fun to ride. I think most riders will agree on that.
This is highly subjective. It all depends on your definition of fun to ride. For some people, it's super precise European machines and for some, it's the 20 year-old CI Bullet. In my book, Pulsars like the 220, NS200, and RS200 are fun to ride motorcycles. This is just my take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Adding to your comment, I feel like RS200 is a very under-appreciated motorcycle. It is a sportier version of the NS200, with a smaller wheelbase and extended swingarm. Riding it up the hills of Nainital is one of my most memorable rides.

Last edited by Aditya : 25th April 2024 at 05:49. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Amrit@wheels is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 24th April 2024, 19:42   #22
BHPian

Designers seemed to have gone overboard with those DRL's.
Phantom 510 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2024, 21:22   #23

Quote:
That's what I was hoping for. In that case they just did a booboo with the Dominar. So sluggish. So top heavy. Just did not feel nice. And it wasn't just that one bike. I rode two. Different bikes. Different showrooms. Same feel. Are the NS/AS and Dominar frames, geometry and suspension different?

Cheers, Doc
There's your problem! You rode the Dominar with stock tyres. Bike comes with MRF Revz tyres, and they are very bad for handling. They have a really, really flat profile, and refuse to tip into turns. You have to muscle the bike into corners, though it holds the line very well after.

That's the reason that almost every owner goes to Apollos when it's time for replacement. If you ever get the chance, take a look at the stock tyres and then Apollo H1 of the same size to see the difference in the profile.

A large portion of how a bike handles always comes down to the rubber it's shod with, and Dominar has one of the flattest I have ever seen.
ExOblivione is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2024, 23:02   #24
Senior - BHPian

Long awaited launch! Bajaj certainly has woken up from a long slumber seems like. I wish they'd not used the same engine from the KTM/Dominar stable considering they took close to a decade to get the bigger Pulsar out.

I strongly hope they don't mess this launch by taunting the established competition by going head on again with the Royal Enfield, this time either against the bigger interceptor or the hunter series like they did with Dominars launch which took away prospective buyers to a certain extent as they kind of rubbed off the competition in the wrong way (remember Haathi?) - I too hated it! Hope they don't repeat it with the big boy Pulsar.

Waiting to see how it looks in flesh! All the best, Bajaj!
Old 25th April 2024, 01:20   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrit@wheels View Post
Adding to your comment, I feel like RS200 is a very under-appreciated motorcycle. It is a sportier version of the NS200, with a smaller wheelbase and extended swingarm. Riding it up the hills of Nainital is one of my most memorable rides.
The problem with the RS is, to me at least, not the engine or handling. It's based on the NS so it must be good. Problem is it looked too much a wannabee. As if trying to make sure the fairings are noticed. Too many cuts, creases and folds. Almost like a summer project by a schoolboy. Many also dislike the KTM designs but the og dukes had a purpose and the design seemed to 'flow' at least. Of course, over time you can start liking a design but that hasn't happened with the RS for me. I think the German NS designer had left when the RS was being designed? The N250/f250 is welcome change in that they are not trying too hard. Hope the Pulsar 400 doesn't go berserk with look at me I am the biggest pulsar ever brag!
doga is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2024, 12:53   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doga View Post
The problem with the RS is, to me at least, not the engine or handling. It's based on the NS so it must be good. Problem is it looked too much a wannabee. As if trying to make sure the fairings are noticed. Too many cuts, creases and folds. Almost like a summer project by a schoolboy. Many also dislike the KTM designs but the og dukes had a purpose and the design seemed to 'flow' at least. Of course, over time you can start liking a design but that hasn't happened with the RS for me. I think the German NS designer had left when the RS was being designed? The N250/f250 is welcome change in that they are not trying too hard. Hope the Pulsar 400 doesn't go berserk with look at me I am the biggest pulsar ever brag!
The looks are completely subjective, and personally, I find the RS200 to be quite unattractive. But, it wasn't the point of discussion, it rides pretty well and has a lot of fun factor under the right person.
Amrit@wheels is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2024, 14:28   #27
Senior - BHPian

Here's a sneak peek of the biggest Pulsar yet, decked out in sleek carbon fiber.

Bajaj Pulsar NS400 is in the works; launch in 2024-smartselect_20240425142350_facebook.jpg

Bajaj Pulsar NS400 is in the works; launch in 2024-smartselect_20240425142358_facebook.jpg

Bajaj Pulsar NS400 is in the works; launch in 2024-smartselect_20240425142406_facebook.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2024, 17:33   #28
Senior - BHPian

Shumi agrees with me on the Dominar.

Sluggish. Heavy. Poor handler.

And that a Bullet with half its power will run rings around it.

Uncanny the similarities. I just found this video pop up on You Tube (our phones do listen!).

Not suggesting Shumi and me are the experts or the final word. Just that some of us ride differently. Have a different spin on what a good handling bike is. And maybe expect more from our bikes.

Time for me to ride a NS now for myself. Maybe the new 250. Before this big momma ...

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 25th April 2024 at 17:36.
Old 26th April 2024, 09:57   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

All this talk about the new bike made me curious about what Pulsar models were around, so went and checked out the website.

First off, why are the India-specific versions of bike websites so bad?! Kawasaki and Yamaha are ok-ok, but Bajaj, TVS, Hero, Honda all look like they were designed in early 2000. Not exciting at all, like a menu-card! This is where RE nails it, their marketing is as reliable as their bikes aren't! (just a joke, Bullet fans, pls excuse, I used to have an RE TB too!)

Anyway, coming to the point, what is the difference between the N and NS models? I see a Pulsar 150, then a N150, and finally a NS160!

What gives? Same bike, different engine tune, decals? Or some significant differences like a different chassis/engine? (Thanks in advance for any info.)
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2024, 12:38   #30
BHPian

Sorry for getting off topic, Bajaj should get their dealers to provide test rides for their flag ship models specifically. I believe that is where RE shines more in terms of customer facing experience.
They can start providing test drives at least after getting the booking amount. When I got my FZS25 2 years back, the yamaha showroom manager arranged me one TD after haggling for a long time. At Bajaj that was also not possible for Dominar. I was shown the F250 and N250 along with Dominar and they were gracious enough to switch on the engine.

on a side note, I got TD for RC200 with KTM. Also, KTM website looks cool.
Balaji31582 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks