Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2023, 13:02   #1
BHPian

TVS Ntorq | Ownership Review and Mods for a 110 km daily commute

TVS Dakar Team:"What's your riding experience"
Me: "Western suburbs to Panvel and back daily"
TVS Dakar Team: "Isko kaptaan banao"
Naturally this interview never happened. But the commute does. So that meant I had to make some changes to my 2018 Ntorq. But I’m jumping the gun. A picture can speak a 1000 words but I can type a 1001 words so enjoy the incoming wall of text with some random pics. We initially got the scoot when we were staying in the central suburbs as a fun little ride for local small chores and supermarket trips. I got addicted and started using it to commute to work (at the time from central Mumbai to Panvel a distance of around 30 km one way). Not surprising because according to me this is a product that came out when the nice folks at TVS were probably having a really good day at work.

TVS Ntorq | Ownership Review and Mods for a 110 km daily commute-0a660dc3e7e94d97bdb4190296103aa6.jpeg
Still looks as fresh as the day we got her home. Note the glove box which is a TVS accesssory. Can easily keep a phone and not worry about it falling off on bad roads.

Pros:

1. Looks: To start with they got out a scooter that looked like nothing in the market and as close to the original concept shown in one of those auto shows many moons back. They topped it up with incredible colours including matte finishes. The matte red especially has held up really well with only regular washes

2. Solid engineering:
- An exhaust that sounded like nothing on any other scooter at the time
- Actual telescopic suspension forks in the front (not the T-type) giving a very balanced ride quality
- Chunky 12 inch diamond cut (what on earth does that even mean?) alloy wheels with 110/80 tyres front AND back. Again, the competition was giving much smaller tyres and the Burgman which came later gave a 12 in wheel only at the rear, or was it the front? I'm confident of being 50% right.
- The aforementioned parts made it the heaviest scooter of the time at 116 kgs but the weight is masked beautifully and actually gives confidence the faster you go. You can maintain silly speeds all day long and it can go wherever you look. That's how flickable it is.
- A very very rev happy engine. Incredible fun to ride. Has a power and eco mode depending on how hard you're wringing the throttle. It's really difficult to stay in eco mode

3. Thoughtful touches:
-Engine kill switch, external fuel lid, bypassing the AHO rule by using a separate drl, small parking lever so you can free your hands at stop lights, etc. are small features in part but make life comfortable on the whole.
-The LED display itself can have a section of it's own, but mine has stopped working and I can't be bothered any less. A new one costs 5-8k and is nowhere on my priority list. There is a low fuel indicator light which luckily isn't part of the main display. I can now kind of tell when I’m falling low so I just fuel up towards the end of my drive or worst case the moment the yellow light comes on. Anyways the million features included a crisp display, trip meters, digital fuel gauge, setting a high speed alert (I set mine at 69, wink wink nudge nudge) and turn by turn navigation by MapMyIndia which frankly was a terrible decision by TVS. All this connected to an app which takes space that could better be used for cat and dog pics on your phone

4. The riding position is very comfortable for me (5'10" tall during the day)

Cons:
1. Dealerships and Service Centers: They are a dead weight to the brand. Some gems below:
-The day we took delivery the scooter would shut down when the accelerator was released. It was already past closing time and so we had to turn back and leave the brand new scooter there. Turns out it was a simple brass screw that needed to be turned to set the idle.
-Service centre pressure washed the number plate and ended up washing off some digits. And they messed up the idling. This was a different dealership
-A day after another service at a third centre, I was driving on the Kharghar flyover and suddenly couldn't accelerate. Luckily I managed to safely bring the scooter to the side of the road. TVS RSA took a good couple of hours to come and then it was just a van. Then a towing truck took another couple of hours to reach and took it to a fourth service centre which was within their approved radius. The centre was neither close to my work or my home. Sigh. Anyways, the culprit was an accelerator cable that had snapped. The forum felt it was a wear and tear part that could go bad at any time. I felt and still feel it should be inspected and caught in service.
-The silver lining in all this is that shooting a mail to TVS infuses life and a sense of responsibility into the dealerships.

2. Headlamp is a joke. The DRL is actually more brighter in some evenings. TVS replaced this with a full LED set up in later iterations but it can't be retrofitted.

3. Boot cannot fit a full face helmet

4. FE is barely 30-35 kmpl but that's also because the scoot begs to be ridden hard

5. Seat is sloped a little too far down and also needs to be longer and wider (insert Michael Scott's "that's what she said"). Pillion space is poor and I end up sliding down and putting pressure on my arms on longer rides. If you're not romantically involved with the pillion you both'll avoid eye contact for a few hours after the ride

6. Pain in the ass to start if left unattended for a few days, especially when the temps are anything less than 26 deg C which is probably the temp of the whole country for 4 months of the year.

So those are my impressions of the Ntorq. Now coming to living with it on a daily basis and more importantly riding the hell that is the WEH also on a daily basis. So there were a few years in between where it was ridden lesser and lesser every week due to a multitude of reasons like COVID, followed by a shift closer to my workplace, etc. I did do some mods like adding a small flashing light near the rear wheel for safety and changing to a no name brand LED which improved the lighting somewhat.

Then for personal reasons we moved to the Western side. Now I'm really going to let loose and vent. I need this so please bare with me. The Western side of Mumbai is an area without the heritage of south Mumbai, the charm of central Mumbai, and the cleanliness and greenery of Navi Mumbai. Well, that’s a blatant lie but it does not have any of these redeeming features along the main highway, i.e. the Western Express Highway/WEH. In fact WEH is just a large three or four laned road on each side and unpaved service roads all along. There is now a metro with names like Ovaripada which literally no Mumbaikar had ever heard of before. The metro for some inexplicable reason has not resulted in any reduction in traffic below while running to full capacity. There is also a metro being constructed on an offshoot which also causes traffic below. The beginning of the WEH doesn't have any metro. Yet there is traffic. You see where I am going with this.

The autowaalahs are imported from Bangalore and are nothing like those in the rest of the city. Then there is a black hole at a place called the Times of India junction. There can be no traffic before it and no traffic after it but you can bet your life that it probably has the highest density of cars on it. It makes no sense. Speaking of traffic, it is insane. Google maps will keep increasing the time the longer you spend on this road. The only way to avoid it is to travel during Brahmamuhurta. Every other time is Rahu kaal. The work around the authorities have given is randomly opening up a Magic Lane on the OPPOSITE side of the highway against oncoming traffic. They do this by suddenly moving barricades kept near the dividers. There is of course no single spot and no single time when this momentous event happens. So traffic keeps to the right in the hope that they can get lucky enough to avail this opportunity. They are in the fast lane and are of course the slowest. This is because the lane next to them involves folks moving faster than these guys and then suddenly trying to merge into Magic Lane. Magic Lane is made more magical by the blinding lights from the cars coming in the opposite direction. The only thing stopping them from flicking the steering 2 degrees and crashing into you is-*drumroll*-rope. And even that is missing most of the time. There is a board near Kandivali which warns of a difference in the road level. The difference is a good 3 feet high. Why the road suddenly decided to split and change levels is as yet unknown. There are metro barricades also on this section even though the metro is already constructed and running. This means traffic now merges from 4 major lanes and one service road into two lanes. This isn’t enough of course. So Magic Lane ends just at the end of Split lane and results in more traffic. Anyways, thank you for putting up with my verbal diarrhea for this long. Means a lot. After various permutations and combinations involving metros, trains and autos (I didn't try the local buses as I am not an animal) that would put a Chinese algebra student to shame, I realised the least tiring way was to ride the good old Ntorq.

Now I had made the stupid mistake of letting the scooter get wet this monsoon. This resulted in the LED conking off, some water seeping into the tank, suspiciously low fuel levels (inexplicably someone has to have stolen it), switches becoming hard and of course the scooter refusing to start.My best bud came with a bottle of petrol and added it into the tank. He then push started it. And I mean that literally. He actually pushed it up and down the road and then fired it up. It worked. We then decided to celebrate later that night by going for food. Stopped at a pump to fill petrol. Left the pump. It started pouring, we got soaked, decided to YOLO and ride. The scooter stopped and wouldn't start. This time we again pushed but it still wouldn't start. It was clearly time to let a professional take over from a bunch of desi hillbillies. The fuel was drained, the tank dried, something was done to the switches and 1700 bucks later the scooter was back to life. As I started riding it more regularly the switches worked better and the tyres rotated more freely and the scooter bounced back to normal.

I started commuting on the scooter and it is so much more doable. Calling it fun would be stretching it but there are sections I really enjoy. Handling and filtering it in traffic is also very very easy. Thanks to the power on tap gaps can be closed very quickly. However, in just a few days my petite behind felt like it was getting sanded off and I was also reminded that humans have a vestigial tail bone (someone please fact check this). If it's vestigial why the hell should it be allowed to hurt? There should be a change.org petition for this. The culprit was a TipTop (that's really the name of the brand) seat cover with padding. The rains had turned the foam to stone and cats had used the top as a scratching post. Causing it to look like this:

TVS Ntorq | Ownership Review and Mods for a 110 km daily commute-old-cover.jpg

Anyhow the pain was becoming unbearable. I got fed up and walked into a BigWing showroom to ask about the Highness. The guy said 2.6L OTR. I told myself to stop being a softie and keep riding the scooter. I did however decide to get the seat modded. Looked up different possibilities on YouTube and saw what looked like a nice curved bucket seat. Chose a shop closest and with the best google reviews called Patel Accessories in Nerul and told him my problem. He looked at the seat cover and laughed. He advised to trash the cover, add some foam and stitch it up with a good piece of cloth (coincidentally from TipTop). Told me it would cost 900 bucks. His laughing had already made me conscious so I did not negotiate. I also got educated on how the foam he used was awesome because it returned back to normal after sitting on it. Looked like any other foam to me. Didn't want to be laughed at again so kept quiet. Meanwhile, he showed me his scooter with a really beautiful bucket seat. That would be 3k and take a good part of the day. I though I would try the basic option first. Here are the pics:

TVS Ntorq | Ownership Review and Mods for a 110 km daily commute-foam-glue.jpg
Magical mammary foam with adhesive spread on it

TVS Ntorq | Ownership Review and Mods for a 110 km daily commute-foam-being-placed-seat.jpg
The foam being pasted

TVS Ntorq | Ownership Review and Mods for a 110 km daily commute-stuck.jpg
Stuck and edges scraped off

TVS Ntorq | Ownership Review and Mods for a 110 km daily commute-side-view.jpg
Note the thickness

TVS Ntorq | Ownership Review and Mods for a 110 km daily commute-final-seat.jpg
Voila. Flatter seat and thicker.

I'm pleased with the end result. The hardness is just right. Only time will tell how long it is maintained.
While checking the seat on the shopkeeper's scooter I saw these aux lights he had on them. He turned them on and they were switchable betwen white and yellow fog lamps. I was impressed. Convinced myself the LED headlamp I had wasn't enough. The auxs (auxen?) cost 1k which is a hell of a lot lesser than 2.6 L for a new bike. Of course the ones he gave were different from the ones on his scoot, 20 W each vs 25 W. I pointed out that they were different and he said 25W ones cost Rs. 2400 while 20W ones were 1000 bucks. I checked the throw on the cheaper ones and felt they would suffice for me. They were branded HJG and he told they were better than the China ones. So I asked about the warranty and he said there was no warranty. I then asked if these were also made in China. He said yes. I was too confused to take the conversation any further. Guess it meant the quality was different. Anyways the lights needed a switch which was another 300 bucks. Since this guy only sold parts he called a guy called Abdul two shops down from a place I think called Bike Point for doing the fitting. Labour was an additional 350. Now came the question of where to stick the lights. Above the number plate would involve drilling. There was a removable cutout in the panel next to the headlamps but I thought it looked ugly. Finally chose to hook it up below the mirrors and use the same holes as the mirror stalks. My only concern was affecting traffic in front of me but I was assured that the light would be focused on the street. Abdul was super enthusiastic and set off to work. He even assured me if there was any issues he was there to fix it. As it turned out he meant it.

TVS Ntorq | Ownership Review and Mods for a 110 km daily commute-aux-light.jpg
Note the brackets they're on are basically the ones used in scooter boots. Just realised the rubber stops now didn’t cover the holes. I also noticed the right indicator arrow and the yellow power mode lamp wouldn’t turn on. . Went back to Abdul.

TVS Ntorq | Ownership Review and Mods for a 110 km daily commute-aux-switch-wiring.jpg
Very little exposed wiring which doesn't look shabby at all.

TVS Ntorq | Ownership Review and Mods for a 110 km daily commute-aux-light-switch.jpg
The switch to control the lights. Up is white, down is yellow. Really doesn't look aftermarket.

TVS Ntorq | Ownership Review and Mods for a 110 km daily commute-d7c98b73c0d54e978a3b2fd8cda171a3.jpeg

TVS Ntorq | Ownership Review and Mods for a 110 km daily commute-2ba681156c77487abfe68ee04b33d5b4.jpeg

Also added a pair of hazard lights. Involved taking apart the front and again paying 300 for labour, 20 for the switch and 300 for the actual lights or modulator that hooked up to the switch. While he was at it I asked him to unhook the pin connector to the display and hook it back up. This solved the issue of the indicator arrow and the power mode light not working. However, I have been told that everything is going to conk off one by one. That’s worrying because I need the reserve fuel light as a back up. Silver lining is that the guys gave me the number of someone who may be able to repair it.

Anyways to conclude:
-lighting has helped
-seating is better
-butt cheeks still hurt from the previous weeks of riding but should subside soon
The lights can be cleaned with a wet cloth and can take water falling on them but will go bad if pressure washed. Also shouldn't be on when the scooter is fired up or will blow. All in all good results for a small investment.
Will let you all know if anything changes and I go crazy again adding stuff. I may or may not move on to a bike but it’ll only be after I’m darn sure this just won’t fit my needs and I can’t fix or change anything to do so. Money is of course in the picture but more than that I would like to learn to value, appreciate and enjoy what I have to the fullest. Else it’s a rabbit hole from one buy to another. The Ntorq is amongst the top 3 fun and vfm purchases for me, the first gen macbook air and kindle being the other two. As a family we really adore it and with some regular updates we intend to keep this for as long as possible. Thanks for reading!

Last edited by Iyencar : 20th October 2023 at 10:42.
Iyencar is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 20th October 2023, 13:40   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: TVS Ntorq | Ownership Review and Mods for a 110 km daily commute

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the 2-Wheels section. Thanks for sharing!

Going to our homepage tomorrow
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st October 2023, 00:23   #3
BHPian

So this morning, i.e. the day after getting the rubber pieces on the stocks repositioned and getting the hazard modulator fitted, I went down to the scooter to leave for work. Turned the key on and fired the ignition and it just wouldn’t turn on. Could just hear the engine cranking but wouldn’t come to life. Tried kicking, using the self and a last desperate measure pushing it a bit but nothing happened. The turn signals and horn did work. I did not turn on any of the aux lights since I had no idea what the hell was going on. Parked it back and left for work. My initial thoughts were it had to do something with the battery or maybe some wiring or fuse had been fiddled with while the installation was being done. But then through the day as I kept rehashing what was done I realised:
1. If it was the battery the turn signals wouldn’t work and neither would the horn
2. If it was wiring issues I shouldn’t have been able to drive the 50 odd kms home.
Still there was a nagging doubt about whether something came loose during the ride or perhaps using the aux lights on the way for some time put some load on the battery. So I called Abdul back and told him what happened. He asked me to bring it in. Told him I’m on the Western suburbs. Based on his reaction, I might as well have been in the neighboring state. Anyways, I told him to just clarify if he thought it could be something to with the battery being unable to take the load. He assured me the lights were only “loading” the battery about 20% and wouldn’t have any adverse effect. I knew I wasn’t making sense since the guy I had got the lights from had more powerful ones on his Access. So with Google again coming to the rescue called up the nearest mechanic with the best ratings and explained the issue. Specified that the lights and indicator were working and the scooter was cranking but just not starting. He sent 2 guys around 8 pm since I got home late (2h 40 m via public transport ). Anyways the new guy and his assistant got to work. Tried the usual kicking and self start but same results. Asked if there was petrol and I said the tank was full. He clearly didn’t believe me and opened and shined a torch in. I was too tired to be offended. Then he took the entire seat assembly off. Removed a cable to access the spark plug. Said something about using DC and tried firing up with no results. Then like a magician building up his act he took a spark plug out of a pocket and held it up (I wouldn’t have been surprised if he went “tada!”). Guess he had suspected it was the culprit all along. Showed me the old plug which had some brownish goop and blackened. I acted like I perfectly understood the issue and nodded. He put in the new one and fired and it immediately came to life. All this was done super fast and I was super impressed. He then said he was in a hurry since he wanted to go play dandia. Eh?! Now I was super worried. Had he made sure everything was put back right? Was the issue really fixed for good? Would I again end up waking the neighbours early morning? After he left I shone a torch to see if any nuts and screws were lying around. Could not find anything so here’s hoping for the best. Oh and it cost 250 bucks including the part. Coming from a car ownership background, I’ll never get over how cheap it is to fix a scooter . Some pics now:

TVS Ntorq | Ownership Review and Mods for a 110 km daily commute-7a7a0aca00134a18a12d299f7141089e.jpeg
The spark plug is all the way down.

TVS Ntorq | Ownership Review and Mods for a 110 km daily commute-7b3c91de045746d895b634f4ab9d620f.jpeg
Out with the old.

TVS Ntorq | Ownership Review and Mods for a 110 km daily commute-f3b65bfbc098408781c9a280f241fd4b.jpeg
In with the new.

TVS Ntorq | Ownership Review and Mods for a 110 km daily commute-eedf93862a9e416fae2b37010686bddf.jpeg
Fits inside this rubber casing.

TVS Ntorq | Ownership Review and Mods for a 110 km daily commute-af03e3b5f21942febf8090a4ffa476b4.jpeg
Hooked back in

TVS Ntorq | Ownership Review and Mods for a 110 km daily commute-0c23fed26fcb466e8de637b6cd1dc96f.jpeg
Fuel tank with the connection for the LED lamp in the boot

TVS Ntorq | Ownership Review and Mods for a 110 km daily commute-b5aa3e9f04674cc2b3f4962cac55e761.jpeg
The little screw helps adjust the idling. Don’t need to take apart the whole seat. There’s a little curved section in the boot which can be unscrewed to access this.

Fingers crossed and hope the scooter can be enjoyed without a hitch.
Iyencar is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 21st October 2023, 19:24   #4
BHPian

Loved the rant and I get to experience this quite a lot. The Magic Lane just adds more chaos than aiding. People cut across 3 lanes at times just to get into it.

Perhaps it is time for Mumbai to have its own thread like Bangalore (Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation)?

Last edited by ex-innova-guy : 21st October 2023 at 19:25.
ex-innova-guy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2023, 11:31   #5

Beautiful thread. Really enjoyed reading it through. Quite relatable as my dad got me a Ntorq for college aswell.
People keep asking me if Ntorq is an electric scooter, right until the
Old 28th October 2023, 16:32   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatteBlack View Post
Beautiful thread. Really enjoyed reading it through. Quite relatable as my dad got me a Ntorq for college aswell.
People keep asking me if Ntorq is an electric scooter, right until the
Sorry for the Double post. Did not intend to post an unfinished message. Mods could you please combine the posts if it would be possible?

As I was saying... Beautiful thread. Really enjoyed reading it through. Quite relatable as my dad got me a Ntorq for college aswell.
People keep asking me if Ntorq is an electric scooter, right until the start her up and people hear the exhaust and their reaction are almost always funny and wholesome.
MatteBlack is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 22:57   #7
BHPian

The plug in the picture looks like it is running rich. Please tune the carb a bit leaner. Rich mixtures tend to foul the spark plugs easily. Before tuning make sure air filter is cleaned thoroughly and engine is sufficiently warm.Please check the plug rating.Hella plug rating CD8RP-9 must comply with the manufacturer's spec. data in the owners manual. My choice of spark plugs is NGK for any day. Enjoy your N Torq.
Enviroclan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2023, 12:40   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-innova-guy View Post
Loved the rant and I get to experience this quite a lot. The Magic Lane just adds more chaos than aiding. People cut across 3 lanes at times just to get into it.
You said it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatteBlack View Post
As I was saying... Beautiful thread. Really enjoyed reading it through. Quite relatable as my dad got me a Ntorq for college aswell.
People keep asking me if Ntorq is an electric scooter, right until the start her up and people hear the exhaust and their reaction are almost always funny and wholesome.
Thanks! Indeed, you never tire of hearing the exhaust fire up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enviroclan View Post
The plug in the picture looks like it is running rich. Please tune the carb a bit leaner. Rich mixtures tend to foul the spark plugs easily. Before tuning make sure air filter is cleaned thoroughly and engine is sufficiently warm.Please check the plug rating.Hella plug rating CD8RP-9 must comply with the manufacturer's spec. data in the owners manual. My choice of spark plugs is NGK for any day. Enjoy your N Torq.
Very informative. Thank you. I'll have this checked out.
Old 1st November 2023, 18:48   #9

You're absolutely right about the service centres. Literally the only issue with TVS as a brand.

Also, TVS has really blown the competition with Ntorq. From the handling to the overall feel of the machine, nothing comes close. The exhaust is the best part. There are 150cc bikes which get overpowered by the thumpy exhaust of Ntorq
ManualMaestro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2023, 12:24   #10
BHPian

Yesterday morning the scooter was fired up after sitting for a few days. As expected had some starting trouble. The battery seemed weak. Anyways after a few kicks she was up and running. Drove up to work no problem while filling the petrol tank towards the end. After finishing work as I was about to fire the scooter up my worker came up and said he noticed a few drops of liquid near the side stand. This was right where there’s a rubber drain pipe. I checked to see if there were any leaks. Thought it could be some excess fuel and started driving. In about 10-12 kms I was on the Kharghar bridge (same one where my accelerator cable snapped, but in the opposite direction). I felt the scooter jerking and buckling under me and then there was no power. Somehow coasted to the side and parked. Turned on the parking lights which I had recently installed (they have now paid for themselves). Gave it a few kicks and she fired up. Drove again thinking it was a one off. Another 7 kms and same issue. This time ot took longer to get started but she did start. Now I knew I had to see a mechanic asap. So I took the stadium service road as I had no intention of stopping on the side of a highway again. The scooter again stopped in 3 kms. Kicked again, took longer but started. Managed to reach my usual mechanic, Subhash Automobiles, behind the petrol pump (opp. DY Patil). The minion mechanic available took a quick ride and said he couldn’t notice anything! However, I asked him to evaluate all possibilities. So he then proceeded to clean the carburettor.

Taking the carb apart:

TVS Ntorq | Ownership Review and Mods for a 110 km daily commute-4490ef0f963048d3ab4e6ca0a2f37a26.jpeg

Cleaning with petrol (taken from my own tank). A lot of crap was removed
TVS Ntorq | Ownership Review and Mods for a 110 km daily commute-9ffb0b0978274dcfa5b8f2d8327fa294.jpeg

TVS Ntorq | Ownership Review and Mods for a 110 km daily commute-47f16e87452b4aaf8676c57fbdc3dbe0.jpeg

Putting it back in. Way too many screws
TVS Ntorq | Ownership Review and Mods for a 110 km daily commute-e0dc8e3ad801462f9d91bcf5f19c934a.jpeg

The black washer (circled in red) needs to be aligned correctly and is tricky to put back in.
TVS Ntorq | Ownership Review and Mods for a 110 km daily commute-aa815258b48d452283ccf4641c673f80.jpeg

He then proceeded to open up the air filter. A fairly easy job, except the screws holding the cover were a bit rusted. A few knocks later the filter was removed and found to be just fine. No pics though.

Then he checked the spark plug. As mentioned in my earlier post the plug hd just been replaced a few weeks back. Shockingly, it had gone bad. Maybe the grade was incorrect or the tuning was lean as mentioned by Enviroclan in a post above. I couldn’t find the manual so not sure what the grade ought to have been. Anyway, he put in a Bosch plug. I repeatedly asked if it was the right grade and he said they were using it on Ntorqs. Will get the carb tuned when the head mechanic is in next week.
TVS Ntorq | Ownership Review and Mods for a 110 km daily commute-30dfea2d5e69475aa7f083d4692cb82d.jpeg

Next I asked him to check the engine oil too while we were at it. It was thick and dark and the volume was less. However, by this time I really wanted a full service done so I asked him to just top it up for now and I would get the scooter in next week. I’m not sure what went wrong or what worked. Maybe it was one of the above or all of the above. Maybe it’s Maybelline. For now she runs fine. Fingers crossed.
Old 19th December 2023, 12:09   #11
BHPian

Your spark plug looks to be fouled badly. It looks like petrol fouling which happens due to carburettor overflow. Overflowing carburettor seems to be a common issue with pre-bs6 TVS products. We have a TVS Wego and gen 2 Victor in our family. Both of them have left me stranded on road multiple times due to this overflow issue and both of them needed premature spark plug replacement. I also have a Honda Dio and I have never faced this issue with it. Also my Dio runs like clockwork even after running 40k kms with no special care. TVS products are really fun and comfy, but this bad experience makes me skeptical about their reliability.
RD410 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2024, 15:13   #12
BHPian

So the scooter was just sitting around for a while. Too much happening on the personal front. The real reason though was one fine day I was about to go to work and again had starting issues. I got fed up, just stopped trying and took a ric to the nearest metro station. Since then I kept meaning to have it looked at thoroughly but never got around to it. One fine day had a mini scare when I couldn’t see the scooter at the place I remembered parking! This was a society we recently moved in to so I was really confused. Took the security supervisor’s help and after a good 20 min of searching finally found it moved to another corner of the society.
Anyways, since the battery was completely down now I let it be. Long story short, this was a bad decision. Things really came to a head when someone broke the number plate and put the broken piece in the glove box. I kicked myself for letting things get this far. Realised that because it was sitting around people around it were treating it like scrap. So, the next day while returning from an errand I walked into a nearby battery shop. There was a young mechanic working on a scooter. Had a quick discussion and he showed up at my place with another guy. He had a look. Asked some basic questions and said he’ll first charge the battery and do a full service while at it. He then offered to get the display repaired from a guy he knew. I was doing mental cartwheels when I heard this! Best part was a warranty of a year. I mean there was no warranty slip or anything but I told myself hey atleast he’s confident enough to give a fake one. They did the Indian method of towing it with their foot (should it be called toe-ing then?).

Anyhow, in about 5 hours he called and said everything was done including the display! Now that was fast. Off I went to the shop and there she was, looking as shiny as ever. Turned on the scooter and almost cried seeing the beautiful display. Icing on the cake was the odo was recording all this while. Only the top panel was bad. Fuel gauge worked too. No more vedic mathematics needed to calculate the drops of fuel left and extrapolate to the time taken to the nearest pump.

TVS Ntorq | Ownership Review and Mods for a 110 km daily commute-28a73e7f59e9483aaae98825eeace0af.jpeg

Damages were Rs. 4k odd. Out of which 2500 was for the display repair. Other expenses werr the oil change, new numberplates, new air filter, cleaning the brake lines, charging the battery, etc.
The scooter gave starting trouble again when I left it for a few days as I was travelling. However, the mechanic said once I drive around a bit the battery will get charged. Seems he is right since the two times after that have been subsequently easier. If not, the carb may need cleaning.
Iyencar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th May 2024, 02:51   #13
BHPian

Just got mine two weeks back, Ntorq XT model. It comes with blue tooth navigation. Was looking a replacement for my 2015 CB Xtreme which has just finished 1,52,000 Kms. Due to budget constraint had to settle for Ntorq. It now comes with hazard switch, and auto start stop.

TVS Ntorq | Ownership Review and Mods for a 110 km daily commute-ntorq.jpg

Has been maintaing 30 to 50 kmph. Got 46 kmpl on tank to tank method. Scooter is good for city driving. Engine is smooth and initial pick up and engine braking is good. It comes with synchronized braking. Pressing the left lever brake is applied to both wheels, Pressing the right lever only front brake is applied. Still getting used to the brakes, no sharp bite, linear braking.

Suspension is not bouncy and for my height (5.9) I am able to sit comfortably. Once even travelled about 60 kms in city.

Was planning Yamaaha Aerox, but as per many reviews - hard suspension, flimsy side stand, no grab rail for pillion and more over it is costing over 2 lakhs in Bangalore plus varied millege ranging from 25 kmpl to 40 kmpl.

The Smart connect is good for most part. It records your jounrye details, kms, average speed. But somebody stupid has decided to omit Average FE, Instatenous FE which Jupiter gets. The navigation is Map my India. It gets to most places, but not like google maps. Another problem with navigation is somebody sends their location in whatsapp, you cannot open that link in the TVS app.

Completed about 500 kms. will update - Sorry for hijackning your thread

TVS Ntorq | Ownership Review and Mods for a 110 km daily commute-cbz.jpg
Sarvodaya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2024, 12:58   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
Due to budget constraint had to settle for Ntorq. It now comes with hazard switch, and auto start stop.

The navigation is Map my India. It gets to most places, but not like google maps. Another problem with navigation is somebody sends their location in whatsapp, you cannot open that link in the TVS app.
The hazard was already available since the Race edition. I agree with the maps, just a total mess without Google maps. Unbelievably useless. I stopped connecting to Bluetooth altogether since the TVS app requires too many permissions and is a battery sapper.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks